or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow

Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow - Page 5

post #161 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Your point is well taken, however, I always felt that that the Zune was never really meant to take (much) marketshare from the iPod. Rather, it was developed to taken on Apple (and others) in the home media pc arena.

I wasn't aware that MTV had ended its alliance with Microsoft until someone mentioned the fact elsewhere in this thread. I don't know if that was a major blow to Microsoft's attempt to take on Apple, or not. Most likely it was MTV being rather unimpressed that out of the 37 Zune owners, only twelve of them had signed up for the service

Oh, I think that MS, at least Ballmer, intended it to take marketshare away. That was the whole point to it. Otherwise, why bother?

When PlayforSure failed to gain any traction, which was also intended to take marketshare away (indeed, Ballmer stated that it would overwhelm iTunes), MS decided to try copying Apple. There's no doubt, from Ballmer's statements that this was thought to be MS's great weapon in the "music wars". But it also failed. All it's assumed to have done was to take perhaps a fraction 1% of Apple's marketshare, while the rest came from MS's own "partners".

Not too useful. All this accomplishes, is to re-enforce the idea that MS is a bad partner. They've done this kind of thing many times over the years. This is why, despite the strong support for DRM that MS has shown, content companies are even more wary of them, then they are of Apple.

I think that if somehow, MS had gained, say, 15% marketshare, they could claim success. A strong number two, with at least some possibilities of moving up even further over time would have been very good. But it's really been an abject failure.

When a company the size and muscle of a MS fails to make the slightest dent, that's really bad. They should learn something from that instead of pouring more money down the hole.

Now, with economic conditions being what they are, they will have to re-evaluate their strategies.
post #162 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Then go buy something that works for you and stop bitching!

I have, I have a Logitech, and some Microsoft mice. And I wasn't bitching, some asked why a Mac user would buy a MS product over an Apple one, and I gave a valid example.
post #163 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have, I have a Logitech, and some Microsoft mice. And I wasn't bitching, some asked why a Mac user would buy a MS product over an Apple one, and I gave a valid example.

I've been buying mostly Logitech mice myself. I've never had one die of normal use, usually just lost. I'm using the original Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard though. I've always had trouble with Apple's desktop keyboards not properly syncing the feel of a pressed key and the electronic signal, sometimes it would either show a double key press or not register a key press.
post #164 of 166
Hey Mouse People!

"Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow"
post #165 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Hey Mouse People!

"Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow"

'cause God forbid a thread evolves as a topic is beaten to death...
post #166 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Microsoft needs to get back to just developing software for now. Stick to what they can excel at. Currently the company just seems to be a mess. It has very poor leadership. It appears as if it has no direction. Its putting out piss poor products. It just needs to stop, rethink its ideas, put people in proper places and develop some kickass products. They have the money, they have the talent (or potential to get the talent). They just need better leadership. Money isn't going to get them out of everything...

The problem, as I see it, Microsoft is not good at developing new ideas. They ripped of Digital Research to make DOS and Apple to make Windows, Lotus to make Excel, and so forth. Really new ideas are not part of the Microsoft culture, so the Zune was just another attempt to rip off Apple.

Coupled with that mentality, Microsoft also had shown dismal marketing ability and I'm not talking about the Jerry Seinfeld debacle. It touches everything they do. This YouTube shorty really says it well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Luces7GrOw
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow