or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Two new trojan horses threaten Mac software pirates

Two new trojan horses threaten Mac software pirates - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Honestly, they get what is coming to them.

But so do we. Because Microsoft and all their friends will spin this.
post #82 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

How does Intego know the exact numbers how often these "spezial" software packages have been downloaded. I would think if these packages are on P2P no one can really know!

I've been wondering that too. I've seen there are United States school board computers connected to those torrents as well.
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdouglas View Post

I still can't get my head around why tens of thousands of idiots are installing software from utterly untrusted sources when Apple makes a 30-day trial copy freely available for download.

You said it yourself. They're idiots.
post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseBoys View Post

Even if a file has been changed, it's relatively easy to craft the file such that its MD5 is the same as the original.

Oh really? Why don't you provide a demonstration for us then? (Yes it's bollocks.)
post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

every article or press release put out by an anti-virus company eventually ends as an advertisement for their products.

EXACTLY. And those products CANNOT protect you from things like this anyway!
post #86 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

Look, if you go into a convenient store and grab a shit load of cheese puffs, hot pockets and beer and take off for the exit without paying and on the way out the door you slip and fall on some ice and break your wrist... oh well. You got what you deserved.

You mean a million dollar settlement against the convenience store company? Hey we gotta all do that!
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Well Guys,
It looks like we've been doing pretty well in helping convert the Windows users over to Macs. Now it looks like we're going to have to help teach them how wrong it is to pirate software and the damage it can cause. You think they would have learned this already with running Windows but I guess old habits die hard.

You have absolutely no evidence to make such an innuendo.
post #88 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Any program that modifies your computer is considered a virus.

Oh whoa. Leave it to the experts or take a course.

Virus = code that attaches to other executable code. Yes like a parasite. When the host is invoked the virus code also runs. This code usually (or by definition) will also involve trying to propagate to other hosts.

Worm = something that spreads like a virus but won't necessarily attach to a host. It just propagates and finds ways to survive over system boots etc.

Trojan = just like the Homer story. Something disguised as something else. You think you're getting (only) one thing but you're actually getting more (than you want).
post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

How does Intego know the exact numbers how often these "spezial" software packages have been downloaded. I would think if these packages are on P2P no one can really know!

The numbers will be coming via bit torrent. The client for these receives information from the tracker that is displayed in the advanced or properties window. It will show now many have completed there download, how many are seeding and how many are leeching.

Ross
post #90 of 92
I find it almost comical, the emotional "holier than thou" emotional response of "if you don't pay, you deserve it." Also, it's difficult to understand the reason for downloading from a torrent, when Apple provides the software download on their website, for the free trial... not sure what sense it makes, but hey... some folks did it; it doesn't make it right that they have their machines and/or personal information compromised by some sleazebag. Before the judgmental folks are so quick to judge and cast the first stone; have some self reflection and ask yourself "have I EVER downloaded something for free?" Music? A movie? If Karma truly exists, it's bad Karma to wish ill fortune on others because of their actions. -- off the theological soap box.

Now, on to the conspiracy theory... and a question of validity of the iWork 09 rumor:

** HAS ANYONE READING THESE POSTS, ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED THE SUPPOSED TROJAN FROM iWORK?????**

If so, please post. We'd like to hear from the 20,000 proposed infected Mac users. We've heard the hypothetical fixes (which sound like they'll work well)... How did the "real world" folks handle this.
ARE THERE ANY real world iWork 09 Trojans?

I too think there's something VERY fishy about a Virus Scan software company, releasing word about a proposed Apple software pirate virus, DAYS before the huge rollout of iLife 09. It's GOT to be good for paranoia sales.

As for CS4... it's legit. A gent in the office contracted the Trojan. Little Snitch snagged it. He was able to easily exterminate it. No info was leaked from his machine.

Cheers to all... and I hope NOT to see a "real" person affected by the iWork Trojan... and hope it to be a hoax. I hope moreover that if it is indeed the software company's hoax, that someone holds their feet to the legal fire.

-end of rant.
Bobby & Carie
13" Macbook Aluminum, 17" Macbook Pro -both: 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 23" Cinema Display
Bobby & Carie
13" Macbook Aluminum, 17" Macbook Pro -both: 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 23" Cinema Display
post #91 of 92
For those still concerned...

http://macscan.securemac.com/files/i...emovalTool.dmg

iWorkServices Trojan Removal App.
Bobby & Carie
Bobby & Carie
post #92 of 92
Here is a thought. Why don't we all spend some money and purchase the legit copies of iWork and iLife? For me, I bought it at the Campus Computer Store and got those two copies less than 50 bucks. :P
aisle4taye_ apple.
aisle4taye_ apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Two new trojan horses threaten Mac software pirates