or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple equipping all Macs with iLife '09 for Tuesday launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple equipping all Macs with iLife '09 for Tuesday launch

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Apple will officially launch iLife '09 this Tuesday and is in the process of making sure that each new Mac that leaves its retail or online stores will include a copy of the new digital lifestyle software.

As part of the launch procedures, Apple retail stores nationwide will undergo a refresh this week, complete with iLife '09 signage.

Sometime this afternoon or early evening, retail employees will also be fitting all of their existing Mac inventory with iLife '09 drop-ins -- essentially DVD copies of the software suite that are slipped into existing retail boxes, which the user must then install on their own.

New Mac orders leaving the Apple's manufacturing facilities later this week should include the software pre-installed.

iLife '09 includes major upgrades to iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand, which introduce new ways to organize and manage photos, create movies and learn to play music.

Building on its ability to automatically organize photos into Events, iPhoto '09 introduces Faces and Places as new ways to organize and manage photos using face detection, face recognition and GPS geo-tagging technologies.

Meanwhile, iMovie '09 expands on its fast movie creation capabilities by adding features such as the new Precision Editor, video stabilization, advanced drag and drop, and animated travel maps.

For aspiring musicians, GarageBand '09 debuts a whole new way to learn to play piano and guitar with 18 basic lessons and optional lessons from top artists such as Sara Bareilles, John Fogerty, Norah Jones and Sting.

iLife '09 also includes iWeb '09 for authoring custom websites and iDVD '09 for creating DVDs. iWeb '09 also adds new iWeb Widgets, such as iSight video and photos, a countdown timer, YouTube video and RSS feeds.

iLife Up-To-Date

While iLife '09 will be included with every new Mac sold from Tuesday onward, the software is also available as a $79 upgrade for existing Mac owners. Customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after January 6, 2009 are entitled to participate in the iLife Up-To-Date upgrade program, which offers a copy of the software for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95.

iLife '09 requires Mac OS X version 10.5.6 or later, a Macintosh computer with an Intel processor, a PowerPC G5 or 867 MHz or faster PowerPC G4, 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included), a DVD drive for installation and 4GB of available disk space.
post #2 of 40
Now, I hope Apple can release some new desktops!
post #3 of 40
iLife '09 doesn't seem that exciting.
post #4 of 40
Any idea when those drop-ins will get proper boxes and iLife be sold as such too. Or even more the 3-in-1 combo with iWork, OSX and iLife ?
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

iLife '09 doesn't seem that exciting.

I can't bring myself to use iPhoto for anything other than ordering cards or books. Or loading an iPod with photos. I am interested to see how well the face recognition works, but I don't think it would be enough to make me stop using Lightroom.

I use iMovie once in a while. The iMovie changes look substantial.

The Apple website won't take my new Mac's serial for the iLife update. Others with the same issue....
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #6 of 40
Hmmm I just ordered one of the refurbished MacBook Air's and it hasn't shipped yet, I wonder if it'll get iLive '09 before it ships...
post #7 of 40
I was just wondering when this would happen because the store shows iLife'08.
With this announcement- next week the new white MacBook will be mine.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

iLife '09 doesn't seem that exciting to me.

There, fixed that for you. Understandably there will be opinions that range the gamut from disinterest to
elation regarding iLife '09. I'm pretty jazzed about the updates but I'm looking forward to using most of the apps
included. iWeb will probably get the least amount of use until I get MobileMe.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #9 of 40
iLife is a great package, but I'm one of the many people that only use iPhoto. It's getting harder and harder to shell out $79 for that one program.

I know, I know... Apple isn't forcing me to purchase it, but if they had a $39.95 iPhoto option, that would be nice.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Now, I hope Apple can release some new desktops!

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

Hole burning in my pocket.
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

iLife is a great package, but I'm one of the many people that only use iPhoto. It's getting harder and harder to shell out $79 for that one program.

I know, I know... Apple isn't forcing me to purchase it, but if they had a $39.95 iPhoto option, that would be nice.

It's actually a free program so complaining about the price seems a bit much to me. It comes free with every Mac, you only have to pay if you want to upgrade.

Given that the original functionality of the program (the version that came for free on your computer now), is perfectly adequate, there is no over-arching reason for anyone to upgrade at all. If on the other hand you decide you can't be without the one or two new features, the price seems more than fair IMO.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

iLife is a great package, but I'm one of the many people that only use iPhoto. It's getting harder and harder to shell out $79 for that one program.

I know, I know... Apple isn't forcing me to purchase it, but if they had a $39.95 iPhoto option, that would be nice.

Although unethical, you could....
1) purchase iLife '09 $79
2) install iPhoto '09 on your computer.
3) resell iLife '09 for $49
4) Profit!
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

Hole burning in my pocket.

I'm just hoping for some better video card options for my previous gen Mac Pro.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Hmmm I just ordered one of the refurbished MacBook Air's and it hasn't shipped yet, I wonder if it'll get iLive '09 before it ships...

No It won't.
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iLife '09 requires Mac OS X version 10.5.6 or later, a Macintosh computer with an Intel processor, a PowerPC G5 or 867 MHz or faster PowerPC G4, 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included), a DVD drive for installation and 4GB of available disk space.

I hope Snow Leopard will have similar system requirements.
In particular not leave behind Power PC altogether.
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

iLife '09 doesn't seem that exciting.

perhaps not for you, but I'm betting you don't use ilife that much anyway. for those that use it, many are quite excited.

i myself am excited that Apple is moving away from supporting only its own services. using iphoto and iweb without mobileme was a pain. Now if I am using iweb I can set it to give me the same ease of use with any ftp capable server. and my sister the facebook junkie can use iphoto for uploading galleries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Any idea when those drop-ins will get proper boxes and iLife be sold as such too. Or even more the 3-in-1 combo with iWork, OSX and iLife ?

my guess, tomorrow. or every shorter after (by the end of the week). rarely do they have something on the machines that you can't buy retail also.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's actually a free program so complaining about the price seems a bit much to me. It comes free with every Mac, you only have to pay if you want to upgrade.

yes but it only comes free if you just bought a computer. if you got one before Jan 6th you are hosed on the freebie. you have to pay full price.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I hope Snow Leopard will have similar system requirements.
In particular not leave behind Power PC altogether.

unfortunately it sounds like they are making the move to Intel support only. So some things might still work on a PPC but by accident. not because they were written that way.

because this is an under the hood change there's not likely to be anything super huge that a PPC person will be totally left out by staying with Leopard.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I hope Snow Leopard will have similar system requirements.
In particular not leave behind Power PC altogether.

Snow Leopard is intel only, isn't it ?
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

Snow Leopard is intel only, isn't it ?

So far it is. With the last new PPC machine being about 3 years from the SL release, it would be better for Apple to not add support for it. It adds cost and time and complexity to it when they are trying to streamline the OS. Plus, they don't have to stop updating Leopard immediately.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 40
I hope They box bundle Sno Lep with iWork 9 an iLife 9.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

Hole burning in my pocket.

Same here, I have been ready to buy since fall.
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So far it is. With the last new PPC machine being about 3 years from the SL release, it would be better for Apple to not add support for it. It adds cost and time and complexity to it when they are trying to streamline the OS. Plus, they don't have to stop updating Leopard immediately.

"Better"? You obviously don't own a PPC machine. And I don't consider dropping support after less than 3 years to be adequate, particularly in the case of pro machines like the G5 quad.

At this point we simply don't know, they haven't said whether they will support PPC or not.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

"Better"? You obviously don't own a PPC machine. And I don't consider dropping support after less than 3 years to be adequate, particularly in the case of pro machines like the G5 quad.

Better as I've read that GC would not benefit the multi-core PPCs the way it will for Core 2 and the added work for included PPC and Intel code take longer to write and introduce more potential issues.

And not including support for an architecture in the next OS is not the same a dropping support for an architecture if Leopard is still updated and supported. I think that Mail in Leopard will be updated with Exchange support shortly after the SL release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Better as I've read that GC would not benefit the multi-core PPCs the way it will for Core 2 and the added work for included PPC and Intel code take longer to write and introduce more potential issues.

Hell GC may not even benefit the first generation Intel Dual-Core chips (pre Penryn) as much. Intel didn't have the cache snooping benefits in that first generation that they have now where the processors know what's in 4 caches now when before it only snooped two caches.

I'm pretty sure a Quad G5 setup has the same 2 cache limitations. Yeah it sucks not to have the latest shiniest OS but SL is what it is. Intel optimized. PPC users that have the last generation will likely want to hold on for 10.7 and get the next evolution of optimizations along with a feature release
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

Hole burning in my pocket.

I'm wondering if any/all of the desktop updates are tied to Snow Leopard.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Hell GC may not even benefit the first generation Intel Dual-Core chips (pre Penryn) as much. Intel didn't have the cache snooping benefits in that first generation that they have now where the processors know what's in 4 caches now when before it only snooped two caches.

I'm pretty sure a Quad G5 setup has the same 2 cache limitations. Yeah it sucks not to have the latest shiniest OS but SL is what it is. Intel optimized. PPC users that have the last generation will likely want to hold on for 10.7 and get the next evolution of optimizations along with a feature release

Is this speculation about 10.7 or do you have specific knowledge that it will support PPC?
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Is this speculation about 10.7 or do you have specific knowledge that it will support PPC?

I read his post to mean that PPC users should just hold onto there current Macs and then upgrade to Intel-based systems once 10.7 is out.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Is this speculation about 10.7 or do you have specific knowledge that it will support PPC?

Oh no. I don't even think Snow Leopard is going to support PPC. I think for those with Quad G5 that don't want to buy a new 'puter 10.7 may be the ticket but that's likely another 18 months away.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's actually a free program so complaining about the price seems a bit much to me. It comes free with every Mac, you only have to pay if you want to upgrade.

Given that the original functionality of the program (the version that came for free on your computer now), is perfectly adequate, there is no over-arching reason for anyone to upgrade at all. If on the other hand you decide you can't be without the one or two new features, the price seems more than fair IMO.

The one app that is worth paying for is the new iMovie. I was never a fan of the old iMovie, yet the new version is very lacking. Frustrating not to have a decent video editing app on my Mac.

I love iPhoto and use it a lot. Together with PS its a great package. I don't want to deal with my own image folders so iPhoto is a near perfect front end for me.

iWeb has always been a big disappointment. I love Garageband. Just wish I had a musical bone in my body so I could use it :-(
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The one app that is worth paying for is the new iMovie. I was never a fan of the old iMovie, yet the new version is very lacking. Frustrating not to have a decent video editing app on my Mac.

Hear Hear!

iMovie '09 looks great. Honestly I never really warmed up to iMovie '06. Sure it did a lot if you traversed the learning curve but it just didn't feel modern. iMovie '09 now looks ready to take over the mantle. It just needs plug-ins to extend it more but that can come in the future.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #30 of 40
I was wondering when they were going to release iLife '09. Does that mean they're going to ship on Tuesday, too? I hope mine ships from Amazon.com tomorrow, because I can't wait to get it.
post #31 of 40
As predicted by AppleInsider iLife '09 and iWork '09 are now shipping via the Apple Store and Apple Retail Stores.

I checked around 11PM Pacific Time and noticed they had changed the shipping from "January" to "24 Hours".

I myself can't wait to get my hands on iMovie '09. Well, just another toy for me to play with Tuesday.
post #32 of 40
reasonable move...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #33 of 40
Geotagging's major pitfall is that it allows cyber stalkers to track people. In today's world of people using Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, web forums, etc. this could be a problem, especially for minors.

It's one thing to post fun pictures of you and your friends at a party in your apartment. Its another thing when the whole globe now knows where you live.

Hopefully iPhoto '09 will have a geotagging removal feature. At least Photoshop will allow you to rip out the geotag data, if desired.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Geotagging's major pitfall is that it allows cyber stalkers to track people. In today's world of people using Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, web forums, etc. this could be a problem, especially for minors.

It's one thing to post fun pictures of you and your friends at a party in your apartment. Its another thing when the whole globe now knows where you live.

Hopefully iPhoto '09 will have a geotagging removal feature. At least Photoshop will allow you to rip out the geotag data, if desired.

That seems reasonable to expect. I would even go farther and have an option in the parental controls that granually allows for iPhoto use, but with an option to auto-remove geotagging when exporting.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 40
Just curious, does this Drop In/Pre-Installed deal end at one point? Or is iLife going to come standard on all new Macs from here on? Is this just a promo to give it a bit of a kick start?
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Just curious, does this Drop In/Pre-Installed deal end at one point? Or is iLife going to come standard on all new Macs from here on? Is this just a promo to give it a bit of a kick start?

iLife has been standard on all new Mac purchases since its inception. iLife '09 is part of the standard install/restore until the next version is released. Presumably iLife '10 next year.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iLife has been standard on all new Mac purchases since its inception. iLife '09 is part of the standard install/restore until the next version is released. Presumably iLife '10 next year.

I don't know how, but I didn't recall that it was standard. Thanks
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Geotagging's major pitfall is that it allows cyber stalkers to track people. In today's world of people using Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, web forums, etc. this could be a problem, especially for minors.

It's one thing to post fun pictures of you and your friends at a party in your apartment. Its another thing when the whole globe now knows where you live.

Hopefully iPhoto '09 will have a geotagging removal feature. At least Photoshop will allow you to rip out the geotag data, if desired.

I heard flickr already has tools to prevent strangers from viewing metadata and I don't think facebook has any metadata to view either. Should be safe.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I don't know how, but I didn't recall that it was standard. Thanks

Been that way easily since the past 4 versions, including '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I heard flickr already has tools to prevent strangers from viewing metadata and I don't think facebook has any metadata to view either. Should be safe.

Except when someone emails their photo to someone outside of Flickr/Facebook or uploads the JPG to a web forum thread. Google "self shots" with the search filter off and then think if those photos had geotags.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Geotagging's major pitfall is that it allows cyber stalkers to track people. In today's world of people using Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, web forums, etc. this could be a problem, especially for minors.

It's one thing to post fun pictures of you and your friends at a party in your apartment. Its another thing when the whole globe now knows where you live.

Hopefully iPhoto '09 will have a geotagging removal feature. At least Photoshop will allow you to rip out the geotag data, if desired.

It might be. However, I could only find one digital camera (Nikon P6000) that actually can do real geotagging using the camera itself. Geotagging is more common in cell phone cameras.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple equipping all Macs with iLife '09 for Tuesday launch