or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Time Machine Partition

Time Machine Partition

post #1 of 4
I want to buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148360

My question is, can I set aside a partition just for time machine, then use the rest of the drive for things like media, windows, linux, itunes library, etc..?
everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
post #2 of 4
As long as the one partition is formatted for HFS+ you should be able to select the partition in the Time Machine System Preference. On my iMac I have the hard drive partitioned and it shows the 2nd partition as an option to use for the TM backup. You should be ok.
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

As long as the one partition is formatted for HFS+ you should be able to select the partition in the Time Machine System Preference. On my iMac I have the hard drive partitioned and it shows the 2nd partition as an option to use for the TM backup. You should be ok.

Cool, thanks.
post #4 of 4
format the drive as GUID partition map, otherwise, it will only backup a few gigs.
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Time Machine Partition