or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama is Wrong

Obama is Wrong - Page 4

post #121 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Prince is teh ghey.

He likes purple.

Oh ok! " Purple Rain " man!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #122 of 162
A politician admitting error?

WTF?

Did something happen in this country in the past two weeks?

I'm confused.
post #123 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Who likes Prince?

I saw him in concert - fantastic! He was also the single non-sucky thing in the entire run of American Idol.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #124 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

A politician admitting error?

WTF?

Did something happen in this country in the past two weeks?

I'm confused.

I'm confused too. When Bush ran away to an elementary school to read a book to kids, the left made jokes that it was for remedial reading. He admitted plenty of mistakes but that was just declared as "finally confessing the lies."

Now apparently screwing up, running away and admitting it is "all good." This has happened plenty of times in the past but the talking points didn't frame it this way before.

I'm glad.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #125 of 162
I have always believed that if Clinton had just called a press conference and said "Okay, I fooled around with Monica. I shouldn't have done it, and Hillary and I are seeking counseling. I'm sorry for putting the nation through dealing with my personal problems while we have so much going on"

That "scandal" would've been over before it started.
post #126 of 162
Quote:

I have always believed that if Clinton had just called a press conference and said "Okay, I fooled around with Monica. I shouldn't have done it, and Hillary and I are seeking counseling. I'm sorry for putting the nation through dealing with my personal problems while we have so much going on"

You're probably right. It worked before he was elected. It probably would have worked afterwards.

post #127 of 162
Bush admitted plenty of mistakes, upon leaving office that is, after eight straight years of never admitting even one mistake.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #128 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Bush admitted plenty of mistakes, upon leaving office that is, after eight straight years of never admitting even one mistake.

How did he phrase it, though, many things were "disappointments"? And he rambled on about Katrina and why he didn't land Air Force One.

And 29% still thought he was a good POTUS...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #129 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

How did he phrase it, though, many things were "disappointments"? And he rambled on about Katrina and why he didn't land Air Force One.

And 29% still thought he was a good POTUS...

Passive voice, as in "Mistakes were made."

Never a hint of what exactly was meant by the above ambiguous statement, but my interpretation?

Dubya was an eight year mistake of his own doing and all those asshats that voted for this guy, particularly the two timers.

How one human being can possibly screw up as much as this Twat did is simply stupefyingly beyond belief.

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, ...
post #130 of 162
Quote:

I also believe this however I don't think the republicans would have ever let it go.
post #131 of 162
The foot-tapping, Congressional page chasing, "cunt" calling, unwed mother rearing Republicans would have screamed bloody murder on Clinton, calling it a "terrible role-model" etc. etc. etc.
post #132 of 162
I find it highly ironic that the same republicans who screwed everything up for the last 8 years are now trying to drag their feet about someone trying to do something to fix their mistake!

" We have to go slow " Now that we have years worth of fixing to do!

So yeah let's just sit around and do nothing " The economy will take care of itself ".

Gotta love em'.
post #133 of 162
RCP

Quote:
And thus speaketh a president who, for all his rhetorical gifts, can't seem to muster the words that would give the American people the one thing desperately needed at this point in American history -- hope.

That's right. The candidate of "Hope and Change" has decided to be a president who espouses "Fear and Loathing." Fear of financial Armageddon unless we do as we are told and blindly give in to his $900 billion panic panacea for the economy and loathing of the opposition -- an opposition Obama unfairly portrays as opposing him out of spite and because a popular talk radio host is telling them what to do.

It is a far cry from the way Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan handled economic crises that in some ways were more dire than what Barack Obama is facing today. Both men came to office at a time when the American spirit was limping and lost. Both men were confronted with unprecedented economic problems (double digit inflation and interest rates in 1981 were an impossibility according to the books).

And yet, both men eschewed fear mongering and sought to lift the people out of themselves in order to bring back hope and allow the natural optimism of the American people to come to the fore. Arguments rage to this day whether FDR's massive spending helped or hurt the economy. And Reagan's tax cuts began a spiral of deficits that, save for a brief period in the 1990s, fostered a climate of "let the kids pay for it" on Capitol Hill.

But few can argue that FDR and the Gipper didn't succeed in changing the dynamics of the crisis they were facing by inspiring the people to believe in themselves again and that better times were ahead.

Obama does not want Americans to believe in themselves. He wants them to believe in him

Cue more Obama miscues.

post #134 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

RCP

Cue more Obama miscues.

Oh look. Nick has quoted a conservative columnist who doesn't like Obama.

Obama is doomed.
post #135 of 162
How about some polls that probably informed that column.

Presidential approval that just bounced up from 59% to 60% and look at that disapproval line that is rising.

62% want tax cuts versus government spending and more oppose than support the plan.

Finally, only 37% support the stimulus plan in the current form.

In case you think Rasmussen a biased piece of crap here is the trend among several posters compliments of 538.com

Quote:
Post-Inauguration Day Approval Ratings

Pollster Approve Disapprove
Gallup 68 12
Research 2000 77 20
Rasmussen 65 30
==============================
AVERAGE 70.0 20.7

Current Approval Ratings

Pollster Approve Disapprove
Gallup 63 21
Research 2000 69 26
Rasmussen 61 36
==============================
AVERAGE 64.3 27.7

6% swing lower in only what... 22 days?

I wonder if someone will be smart enough to question whether the Obama administration and Democratic Congress wouldn't legislate those evil, gas guzzling, carbon belching RV building jobs out of existence anyway. Are we really supposed to believe that Obama wants a lot more people building and buying 4-8 MPG recreational vehicles?

post #136 of 162
Yes. This is a disaster for Barack Obama. He is now only a little bit more popular than George Bush, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan were in the first month of their presidencies, and he has an economic catastrophe to avert.

Meanwhile, Gallup has support for the stimulus package unchanged since before Obama's inauguration, at 52%, and his approval up two points at 66%.

Clearly the Republican message is getting through to the electorate. People miss hating their president.
post #137 of 162
OH NOES OBAMA!

This just in.

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- The American public gives President Barack Obama a strong 67% approval rating for the way in which he is handling the government's efforts to pass an economic stimulus bill...

Meanwhile, a mighty 31% of the public approve of the Republicans in Congress.

OBAMA DOOMED

http://www.gallup.com/poll/114202/Ob...lus-Fight.aspx

Would you like to see a bar graph of how FUCKING UNPOPULAR Congressional Republicans are?

It's all over.
post #138 of 162
Obama seems to have dropped Hope and Change and replaced it with Fear and Spend(Waste).
post #139 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Obama seems to have dropped Hope and Change and replaced it with Fear and Spend(Waste).

Yes, he does, doesn't he.

I read exactly that on redstate.com only this morning.

I'm with you, scott. I think that Obama should stop insisting that the American economy is in danger. This is fearmongering. He should cut taxes and let the market sort the so-called 'crisis' out.

Personally I don't think that any first world nation needs a functioning infrastructure at all, but I must admit that I spend a lot of time at redstate.
post #140 of 162
Quote:

Yeah! This stupid fear thing.

Unlike all the terrorist alerts Bush and Cheney pulled out of their collective asses the economic mess that Bush and CO. left us in after 8 years of mismangement is all too real.

But let's just sit around on thumbs and see what happens. Let's do nothing constructive about it. Just like the previous administraion ( you know he one that got us into this ) did.
post #141 of 162
Quote:

Well, at least at his press conference last night he dropped the previous president's ignorance and stupidity with openness and intellectuality.

The man used the word bellicose with respect to Iranian action in one of his responses. I felt emancipated from leadership stupidity.
post #142 of 162
Quote:

Well, at least at his press conference last night he dropped the previous president's ignorance and stupidity with openness and intellectuality.

The man used the word bellicose with respect to Iranian action in one of his responses. I felt emancipated from leadership stupidity.

I couldn't agree more.

At one point during the news conference I turned to my brother and said something like:

Wow, I used to watch our president and continuously shake my head at what appeared to be a complete lack of critical thinking and reasoning skills. Now we have a president where I have to sit and ponder the reasoning offered for policy decisions. The reasoning is presented for us to evaluate! I'm no longer embarrassed by my own country.

Previously, watching our president speak was disheartening at best. I actually seriously considered myself to be smarter than George Bush. I don't intend this as an insult since I generally consider myself a genius but don't expect everyone to be one as well. But our president? Come on! It was just mind-bloggling that we hadn't chosen someone capable of impressing your average neighborhood genius.

But finally we have a president that fits that bill. When asked a question, you could see that he took a moment to formulate a response. He then laid out not only his answer, but also the reasoning by which he reached that answer. The reasoning often included historical comparisons available off the cuff. Obviously he is well read and retains useful information for formulating policy decisions.

He doesn't sugar coat things to give people hope. Instead he offers himself as a leader capable of making intelligent decisions for our country.

To me... that is Hope
post #143 of 162
Obama, Reid and Pelosi are intent on putting us all in the POR house. The "won't fix a damn things while bankrupting the kids" bill cleared the house today after everyone got their copy at 9AM this morning.

Amazingly the only thing bipartisan about it was the opposition which featured Republicans and Democrats.

We don't have to worry though... we've got printing press and so we got CASH BABY, CASH!

post #144 of 162
poor Nick, agonisingly waiting for his little fortune to be 'printed' away, bwahahahah

remember Nick, when I said that this depression is going to send people insane, people would go mad, commit suicide, mental breakdowns......

dont worry chuck, someone will pass you a stale loaf - im sure of that.

Incidently, although Nick is having seizures about inflation now, it wasn't so long ago (hint: pre Obama) that Nick was telling us that inflation was nothing more worrying than adding a zero to the end of a price of everything, and it all works out fine in the end.

So using these contradictory statements, one could draw the conclusion that Nicks ideas, ideals,arguments and positions are complete prefabricated FUD bollocks (emminating from Limbaughs backside) even though Nick himself is a genuinely nice guy we'd all like to have as a bud.
post #145 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkapp View Post

poor Nick, agonisingly waiting for his little fortune to be 'printed' away, bwahahahah

remember Nick, when I said that this depression is going to send people insane, people would go mad, commit suicide, mental breakdowns......

dont worry chuck, someone will pass you a stale loaf - im sure of that.

You don't seem to understand. No one read this thing so of course, I GOT MINE.

All those Prince references got me feeling the need for a little stimulation and so I put in for mine a while back.

Quote:
Incidently, although Nick is having seizures about inflation now, it wasn't so long ago (hint: pre Obama) that Nick was telling us that inflation was nothing more worrying than adding a zero to the end of a price of everything, and it all works out fine in the end.

So using these contradictory statements, one could draw the conclusion that Nicks ideas, ideals,arguments and positions are complete prefabricated FUD bollocks (emminating from Limbaughs backside) even though Nick himself is a genuinely nice guy we'd all like to have as a bud.

That's true when you add ONE zero. You started adding five or six and people get pissed though.

post #146 of 162
Eh, the Japanese bailouts lead to deflation and not hyper inflation.

In the US we've seen hyperinflation only during the revolutionary and civil wars. The question is what would replace the dollar in a hyperinflation model? The Euro? Meh, not likely.

The RMB? Possible. China isn't quite ready to take center stage today but soon.
post #147 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Eh, the Japanese bailouts lead to deflation and not hyper inflation.

In the US we've seen hyperinflation only during the revolutionary and civil wars. The question is what would replace the dollar in a hyperinflation model? The Euro? Meh, not likely.

The RMB? Possible. China isn't quite ready to take center stage today but soon.

The hyper-inflation comes when the bill comes due. Japan's government has debt that (depending upon the source) is almost 200% of GDP. Then you add a demographic timebomb with regard to their boomers and because of racism, almost no immigration.(They want robots instead)

The inflation stays away when you create the spending via debt. (I have a post on my blog where I disagree with Roubini on this very matter.) When the debt cannot be repaid it will be monetized(printed) and that is when the inflation occurs. The disagreement I have with Roubini is that he thinks the boomer kids will honor the debt terms and gladly cough up a lower standard of living and most of their income via taxation to repay the debt. I don't think they will do that and will print away the mistakes of mom and dad.

I really wish we would study Japan more. They've been "stimulating" their economy for a decade and it is still falling off the cliff.

post #148 of 162
The Blow the Working Class Saw Coming

Quote:
But of course, nobody really asked the working poor for their opinion of the economic situation. What do they know? "You just knew you couldn't trust it," Mark says, looking at his empty, unused trailer. At least he has no trailer fees to pay. The fortunate decision to move into his girlfriend's father's house was made last summer, before it all turned bad.

But maybe guys like Mark and Robert would have warned you about this economy years ago, when the jobs began moving overseas, and their credit limits went up even as they got pink-slipped. They didn't know when it was coming, but they knew.

And their warning would have been plaintive: Stop taking so much. Does anyone really need a $20 million salary? If you have that salary, do you need a bonus? If you take that much, won't somebody else be deprived?

"You can make a million dollars in America," says Jim Teal, a former waiter at a high-end Raleigh steakhouse who now stays home with his 2-year-old daughter because business has dried up. "But if you're making hundreds of millions, you've screwed someone over."

The people I work with have an arcane belief that money comes from somewhere, that value is added when things are made, and that the only real way to acquire money is to work.

To them, the term "economy" means only one thing: jobs. Most people here believe that the new stimulus package will create them, but the question is, what kind? Will these be more of the jobs that Robert is being forced to apply for, the minimum-wage, part-time, day- labor kind of jobs? Or will they be actual jobs, work that stays around for decades and provides a chance for a steady, decent life? "The word 'jobs' can mean a lot of things," Teal says, skeptically.

They have a right to be cynical. It turns out, the people who understand money the best are the ones who don't have it.

But their kids? Good question. Reality check could (and will) be in order. The stupid and spoiled won't survive if they continue. It's also time for the rich to have checks and balances also.
post #149 of 162
Quote:

The Blow the Working Class Saw Coming

But their kids? Good question. Reality check could (and will) be in order. The stupid and spoiled won't survive if they continue. It's also time for the rich to have checks and balances also.

I just thank the FSM that my daughter (like myself) has the free choice to live in the US if times are good, and in HK or China if the Republicans get their way again and further screw up the country.
post #150 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I just thank the FSM that my daughter (like myself) has the free choice to live in the US if times are good, and in HK or China if the Republicans get their way again and further screw up the country.

The cult of the FSM is outlawed in China. Amnesty International has a report on the oppression of Pastafarians by Chinese security forces. Alas, this report got no air time at the UNHCR as it was judged as violation of the parlamentary procedure by the Chinese delegation:

"We cannot consider specific food groups as part of Item #8...in any case the Chinese invented pasta so the FSM is properly the property of the state and all Chinese people, not just this so called religious group who are in actuality revisionists to advocate Italian culture and cuisine. It should also be referred to officially as the "Fei Mian Tiao Guai" in all UN discussions."

The president of the UNHCR agreed and then broke for lunch.
post #151 of 162
Well the republicans are really whipping the bullshit now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29279120/

Quote:
GOP govs consider rejecting stimulus money
Opponents say move puts conservative ideology ahead of constituents

After the republicans helped create this debacle they're trying to undermine efforts to fix it! They won't even give it a chance to work! What assholes!

I think the title of this article is right. You know if the democrats had raised half the fuss about some of Dubya's decisions they would have been outraged.

This is really pathetic and I hope america is paying attention. Then of course there's CNBC's Santelli's editorializing meltdown on TV. Why does this guy still have his job?

http://meltdownmania.wordpress.com/2...ton-tea-party/
post #152 of 162
I think that's fine. I think Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alaska, South Carolina and Idaho should be written out of the stimulus bill immediately, and I think the Obama admin should look long and hard at what other kinds of tainted federal money they are being obliged to take, with strings attached.

No state should be forced to take federal money, particularly states that are among the lowest contributers to federal tax revenues.

I'm sure they can afford to go it on their own, and their sturdy citizenry can only be grateful that they aren't being turned into socialist zombies. Maybe all the Republicans that are muttering about armed insurrection can move to those very states, and live free.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #153 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think that's fine. I think Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alaska, South Carolina and Idaho should be written out of the stimulus bill immediately, and I think the Obama admin should look long and hard at what other kinds of tainted federal money they are being obliged to take, with strings attached.

No state should be forced to take federal money, particularly states that are among the lowest contributers to federal tax revenues.

I'm sure they can afford to go it on their own, and their sturdy citizenry can only be grateful that they aren't being turned into socialist zombies. Maybe all the Republicans that are muttering about armed insurrection can move to those very states, and live free.

Quote:
I think Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alaska, South Carolina and Idaho should be written out of the stimulus bill immediately,

Really. They don't want the money they don't get it!
post #154 of 162
This is pretty interesting. It shows the state by state breakdown of the ratio of federal taxes paid vs. federal funds dispersed.

The general trend seems to be, the more federal money a state gets, the more likely it voted Republican in the last election. Mississippi, Idaho, Louisiana and North Carolina are all big net receivers of federal largess. Hot beds of socialism like California, New York and New Jersey are all big net contributers.

Maybe it's time for the blue states to tell the rednecks to go fuck themselves.
post #155 of 162
Quote:

This is pretty interesting. It shows the state by state breakdown of the ratio of federal taxes paid vs. federal funds dispersed.

The general trend seems to be, the more federal money a state gets, the more likely it voted Republican in the last election. Mississippi, Idaho, Louisiana and North Carolina are all big net receivers of federal largess. Hot beds of socialism like California, New York and New Jersey are all big net contributers.

Until it breaks down the expenditures, there isn't a point to be made.

California used to receive a lot more federal dollars. It was because we had every type of military base you can imagine. The report notes for example that people tend to retire to sunbelt states and have S.S. sent to them while no longer providing income into the system. Are you going to tax the sun next?

Show what the expenditures are on. If it is income redistribution then you have a point.

post #156 of 162
Quote:

This is a good start.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #157 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well the republicans are really whipping the bullshit now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29279120/

Did you even read the article? It says that the bailout bill has sections which require state match, and creates programs that states will be responsible to pay for once the bailout money runs out.

It sounds to me like they are being responsible, not ideological. If they can reject sections now that will cost them money later, then they will be better off in the long run - it isn't the whole bill that they would be rejecting, just certain sections.

And, addabox - how is your most recent "screw the poor states" mantra any different from, say, something Archie Bunker would say. You have become that which you hate.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #158 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Quote:
Did you even read the article?

It says that the bailout bill has sections which require state match, and creates programs that states will be responsible to pay for once the bailout money runs out.

It sounds to me like they are being responsible, not ideological. If they can reject sections now that will cost them money later, then they will be better off in the long run - it isn't the whole bill that they would be rejecting, just certain sections.

And, addabox - how is your most recent "screw the poor states" mantra any different from, say, something Archie Bunker would say. You have become that which you hate.

Quote:
Did you even read the article?

Quote:
ideological.

Yes I did. Did you read the title. What you've said is just your take. I think thay are being irresponsible and self seving to their ideology.

Adda is right on. If they don't want to be part of this just so they can see it fail when it succeeds I don't think they should benifit from of the success. What they're doing is putting their ideology first. Where's all the " We should be behind our president " BS we heard with Bush and Iraq?

Also these states really need this money. Politics should take a back seat.

From the article just incase you thought I didn't read it :

Quote:
Possible motive: 2012 elections
U.S. Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., the No. 3 House Democrat, said the governors — some of whom are said to be eyeing White House bids in 2012 — are putting their own interests first.

This stimulus may or may not work but at least they are trying something which is more than the opposition is doing. We can't go back to what they want to try. It's what got us here in the first place.

As Paul Krugman said in his lecture I saw almost a month ago now we can't just do the right thing now and just pull in our resources and save ( doing what we should have been doing all along ). It would be like driving over a man and then thinking " Oh My! " and putting the car in reverse ( backing out of the situation ) and running over the man again. That's what it would do to the economy. If we simply stop spending now that will make things worse.

We also can't just try some tax cuts ( except for the rich ) and leave the economy to run on it's own ( hope for the best ). It's very clear that doesn't work.

So here's a new new president trying something different and these guys are trying to stand in his way because simply they're republicans and the president is a democrat. If you ask me fuck em! Of course we really can't as that might pull down the country also and it would be irresponsible.

But it really kind of pisses a person off that they'd try this grandstand display in the middle of a crisis of this magnitude.
post #159 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yes I did. Did you read the title.

The title is more important that the actual content of the article? They are not putting their ideology first, they are putting their state first, poor states may not be able to afford some of the bailout programs that get created and partially funded.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #160 of 162
Is any of this even worth even discussing if the OP hasn't responded in over two weeks?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama is Wrong