or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2.1 - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post

Not everybody has access to a decent ISP, and downloading large files for a long time in iTunes rarely works for me.

Blowfish, you don't happen to be using a windows PC to download your iPhone update?
Every time I update my iPod touch from an XP laptop it blows up leaving me with a bricked device, the first time it happened the Genius in the Apple shop reflashed my iPod with V2.0.

Now I just use the Mac mini upstairs, but its majorly inconvenient to not be able to use the machine I have to spend my working time on. The Genius reported that all of the problems with bricked iPhone and iPods was caused by Windows Internet Explorer, so a hyperlink that works in Firefox is much appreciated because downloads from Firefox are robust.

Cheers

Posted 8 minutes before the download finished, backed up, prepared iPod, blue screened laptop, bingo, bricked iPod touch AGAIN, but for the first time the machine didn't spontanously reboot, giving me a chance to make a note of the active driver etc. now I am going to cut and paste this (!) into a feedback for Apple, good job I'm not using my iPod ;-)
post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A lesson in how MMS works.

NEWSBREAK *** YOU CAN SEND AN MMS TO AN EMAIL ADDRESS.***

If you are in dire need of your friend's sending you an MMS ask them to add your email address to your details in their contacts list.

Guess what happens when they send the MMS to your email address?

Apparently my network provider will provide me with a link to an MMS in an SMS when I receive one BUT in the six months since I got my iPhone 3G I haven't had a single chance to test this as no-one I know uses MMS, we all use email.

To all MMS b***chers:

For starters, MMS IS an outdated technology. It's not like the gasoline infrastructure, it can be changed due to the short lifecycle of phones in general and the switch to smartphones instead of the crap free phones any carrier will give you for signing a two-year contract.

Nevertheless, if you and/or your friends choose to use outdated nonconforming technology, I found some info you might find useful. I've used the Verizon one, but haven't tested the others.

http://www.sms411.net/2006/07/how-to...-to-phone.html

Now, can we all get on with our email-driven lives?
post #83 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A lesson in how MMS works.

NEWSBREAK *** YOU CAN SEND AN MMS TO AN EMAIL ADDRESS.***

If you are in dire need of your friend's sending you an MMS ask them to add your email address to your details in their contacts list.

Guess what happens when they send the MMS to your email address?

Apparently my network provider will provide me with a link to an MMS in an SMS when I receive one BUT in the six months since I got my iPhone 3G I haven't had a single chance to test this as no-one I know uses MMS, we all use email.

Unless they also have an Iphone.
post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

The Genius reported that all of the problems with bricked iPhone and iPods was caused by Windows Internet Explorer, so a hyperlink that works in Firefox is much appreciated because downloads from Firefox are robust.

What does IE have to do with I-tunes ability to complete a firmware? (serious question)
post #85 of 125
what the "select fragment" gesture might be to do copy-paste... the pinch with only one finger moving? copy (and paste) command though maps naturally onto the tap-and-hold event...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #86 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

what the "select fragment" gesture might be to do copy-paste... the pinch with only one finger moving? copy (and paste) command though maps naturally onto the tap-and-hold event...

I always thought it would be something like a two-finger pass select: Zoom/mag to find the text you want, and swipe using two fingers to bring up the iPhone contextual menu, where you could send it to mail or notepad. I think having a traditional clipboard is where you start falling off the wagon here.

Truthfully, since what I really want is usually embedded somewhere in a webpage, I usually just mail myself a link and it's just as good.
post #87 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

I always thought it would be something like a two-finger pass select: Zoom/mag to find the text you want, and swipe using two fingers to bring up the iPhone contextual menu, where you could send it to mail or notepad. I think having a traditional clipboard is where you start falling off the wagon here.

Truthfully, since what I really want is usually embedded somewhere in a webpage, I usually just mail myself a link and it's just as good.

Honestly they have almost removed the need with several features (like holding down on an image to save, send link via email, etc).. but I think they could do something simple (like hold down over text) and allow you to select/highlight what you want then hold down on the highlighted area and just give you some options of what to do with the text. A traditional clipboard would be a massive headache and probably cause more problems than its worth given apples 'one thing at a time' OS on this thing.
post #88 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Because I have limited bandwidth at home as I have satellite internet so I download it at work. I can only download 12GB per month (rolling total).

I wonder if you could take it to the Apple Store and plug into a computer there and get updated?

Or maybe have someone burn the install image to a CD for you.
post #89 of 125
Since everyone else is complaining about stuff, I have a small criticism as well.

Why when entering a password does the iPhone display the actual characters as you type and then change to bullets only after the next character is entered? My iPhone has had this problem from day one and it is not yet fixed in this release. Or maybe it is a feature, I don't know.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Since everyone else is complaining about stuff, I have a small criticism as well.

Why when entering a password does the iPhone display the actual characters as you type and then change to bullets only after the next character is entered? My iPhone has had this problem from day one and it is not yet fixed in this release. Or maybe it is a feature, I don't know.

Because you're using a virtual keyboard and it's to make sure you are entering the correct password. It's just long enough to see before changing so should you make a mistake, you can go back and re-enter. Not a glitch but a design feature.
post #91 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Copy and Paste is a big deal when every other phone on the market can do it. Wouldn't you be a little bent if Apple had released the Mac without Copy and Paste and 2 year later still didn't have it when every other OS had it? Seems like a trivial thing to do and to leave it off is perplexing. It is a legitimate gripe.

This thread is a bit old now but I can't let this by.

Your reasoning is foolish. "Feature X may not be useful, but it becomes useful if every other phone has feature X." This is nonsense.

I said it was of "limited usefulness" because copy and paste is a feature of document editing which you cannot actually do on an iPhone. The turnaround argument is that document editing would be possible on an iPhone if there was copy and paste, but in fact it would also need a file system, and a few other things.

It's possible that the iPhone will some day be able to edit documents and copy and paste will certainly be in the mix. It's pretty obvious to anyone wanting to think for more than a minute or two that Apple is intentionally not positioning the iPhone as something that can edit documents. It can view documents only.

I don't mean to put this on your personally, I am just so sick and tired of foolish people asking for copy and paste and your comment set me off. It's a dumb idea people and it is of "limited usefulness" all by itself.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #92 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivingMan View Post

I was beginning to think I was the only one recognizing some basic flaws. I'm a big Apple fan. Have never owned a PC. For a 53 y/o engineer that's really unusual but these missing features are a big deal for me. If they could give us a release date for these (publicly acknowledged by Apple) issues I'd be willing to wait.

C'mon fellow Apple diehards - take off the blinders - is asking for an option for these basic features really too much to expect?

Apple/AT&T - At least say yes or no and when - then I could make an informed decision.

i think you and "Mac Old Timer" must be the same person as no one agrees with him on anything usually. Also you both tend to sound like angry old dudes with a lot of chips on your shoulder.

"Mac Old timer" in particular goes through the exact same list of gripes on each and every post he makes practically. I don't know what's worse, the idiotic comments from the kiddies or the grumbling blackness of the minds of the older folks.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #93 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Since everyone else is complaining about stuff, I have a small criticism as well.

Why when entering a password does the iPhone display the actual characters as you type and then change to bullets only after the next character is entered? My iPhone has had this problem from day one and it is not yet fixed in this release. Or maybe it is a feature, I don't know.

The original iPhone software did not display any characters when entering a password or any text field that would normally display only bullets or asterisks. It was a recent change to show the actual character for a couple seconds - which is a compromise between avoiding repeated failed logins and having someone able to look over your shoulder and see the entire password.

I am not aware of a way to turn it off - but it would be a good feature suggestion to apple to have a setting that would toggle this behavior - can't be too hard since they have code for both options already written - just need to add a toggle bit.
post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I wonder if you could take it to the Apple Store and plug into a computer there and get updated?

Or maybe have someone burn the install image to a CD for you.

I just download it at work. Took a whole 2 minutes to download at around 2.4MB/sec. Then transfer the file to my iMac, take off the .zip on the end. Then, launch iTunes, option click check for updates and select the downloaded 2.2.1 firmware update.

Then I forgot the update doesn't like the dock plugged into the keyboard port, so it screwed up about quarter the way through and I ended up restoring my phone on my MacBook and then re-syncing everything back. Ah well...phone hasn't been restored in a year anyways. I'm sure Palm or Windows Mobile users can't safely say the same thing unless they just enjoy having crashes and slow downs.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #95 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

It was a recent change to show the actual character for a couple seconds - which is a compromise between avoiding repeated failed logins and having someone able to look over your shoulder and see the entire password.

I suspected that was the issue. Kind of an admission that the virtual keyboard is difficult to use. Yeah a toggle would be handy since I rarely need the privacy anyway.

(Actually I mean turn it off completely so the whole password show actual characters.)

m

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #96 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

So you started using computers in 1979 and don't use copy paste? Please... I use copy paste in Linux daily, in windows its second nature. That's with a mere 16 years of programming and 18 years of normal use and operation.

That's funny that you try to act like you have never had a need for it. Do you work for apple?

I use copy and paste on my computer daily. However, everything that I would copy and paste on the desktop is a link on the iPhone so I don't need to copy and paste it.
post #97 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Now you’re just being unrealistic. To expect the iPhone to be used for actual business purposes rather than the gaming toy it’s become.

Come on, you have to realize that Apple put Emogi Icons ahead of all of these features that actually could make the iPhone worth upgrading to the next rev.

I think you need to lower your expectations as I have and realize that I am a middle aged man with a toy in my pocket (no pun intended).

Thankfully, competition is always out there and I can move on to a real Smart Phone that caters to the business world and not the FaceBook generation.

Yes, I want a real camera on my phone. Who carries a camera with them at all times?
Yes, I want push email that actually works.
Yes, I want Speed Dial and Voice Dial like my 7 year old Motorola V551.
Yes, I want to be able to actually edit a document on my Phone and not just view it.
Yes, I want Flash and every other popular (non apple) video to work on my phone. Ever go to CNN or ESPN that has all Flash for their video sources.
Yes, I want multi tasking.

The phone world isn’t used to Apples once a year slam upgrade policy and the 3g was no big game changer.

Was I promised these things. No. But it’s been a long, long time since anything has come out for the iPhone that is useful.
Yes there are tons of Apps but I’m not a gamer and 99.9% of the apps in the store don’t reflect what anyone in the business world actually needs to enhance their work day.

You know there are other phones out there? Apple isn't making you buy this phone. If the iPhone doesn't suit your needs then go buy what does and stop bitching because it doesn't do what you want it to. I've preached this in here time and time again. Apple can't be everything to everyone. You should know this by now. There a millions and millions of iPhone users, all wanting something different.

Useful can mean different things to different people. Just because something isn't useful to you doesn't mean its not useful to the rest of the crowd. Apple isn't going to make a special phone with special features just for you. In other words...the world doesn't revolve around you!

So the apps store didn't turn out to be what you wanted. Well BOO HOO! Cry me a river....Go buy a G1 then so you can have the features you want, oh and an apps store with malicious apps you can buy and install.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #98 of 125
This may not be Apple's fault, but none if the IM apps I've tried will parse incoming hyperlinks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #99 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

they roll out the devkit upgrade as well... frankly, i develop iphone s/w on ppc machine... now i'd like to see clearly, will it explode my setup or not

What, do you get a friend to compile for you?
post #100 of 125
Who edits documents on an iPhone?

How about editing a HTML document when posting on a forum...

...like I'm doing right now.

For example if I took screenshot, upload it to a photo hosting site it would be handy to be able to cut and paste a link.

This is about the only time I use a PC these days most of the time I use my iPhone.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #101 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

To all MMS b***chers:

For starters, MMS IS an outdated technology. It's not like the gasoline infrastructure, it can be changed due to the short lifecycle of phones in general and the switch to smartphones instead of the crap free phones any carrier will give you for signing a two-year contract.

Nevertheless, if you and/or your friends choose to use outdated nonconforming technology, I found some info you might find useful. I've used the Verizon one, but haven't tested the others.

http://www.sms411.net/2006/07/how-to...-to-phone.html

Now, can we all get on with our email-driven lives?

Oh, I see. I need to tell all my friends that don't have smartphones that they should buy one and use email and that MMS is outdated, OR if they insist on using their primitive MMS, instruct them how to format the address so it goes to my email. If I were a self-centered snob I might go that route. But I'm not and I won't and I believe most people are not going to do that either. And your link to a "workaround" (originally written in 2006) for outbound messages is fine...if you know who the carrier is for every single one of your contacts or are prepared to asked them each time you want to send them a quick note. I can see the conversation:

*ring*ring*
Girl: "Hello?"
Guy: "Hey Ashley, it's Andy. Just wondering, who's your carrier?"
Ashley: "My carrier?"
Andy: "Yeah, for your cell phone."
Ashley: "Oh, it's Verizon. Why?"
Andy: "Oh I just wanted to send you a text."
Ashley: "You need to know my carrier for that?"
Andy: "Well sort of...I'm going to send an email to your text."
Ashley: "Well why don't you just send a text to my text?"
Andy: "Get with it Ashley...that would be stupid. Everyone uses email now."
Ashley: "Yeah, riiiiight, for emails. But when you text someone's phone you use text."
Andy: "Actually Ash, it's called SMS or MMS and it's outdated. BUT, I know you still use it so I'm going to email to your text."
Ashley: "Outdated? Everyone uses texts."
Andy: "You mean SMS."
Ashley: "Um, yeah, whatever. Listen, I gotta get going."
Andy: "Wait, what are you doing tonight?"
Ashley: "Umm, I just remembered I've got a family thing. I won't be able to go out. Gotta go. Bye."
Andy: "All night...hello? Are you still there?"

So let's get real here. Fact: when using a mobile phone to send images, the vast majority of people use MMS. I'm not going to get in a debate as to if MMS should go away or will go away in the future b/c it really has nothing to do with the here and now - and that's where I live. Maybe the people who don't complain about or miss MMS don't have many friends or don't have many that send them pictures. Fine, but many of us do...that's why the "feature" is so ubiquitous in the first place. So much so that it is generally considered a standard feature. All I'm asking for is to be able to receive MMS messages like every other phone can do. If you think email is better then you are free to continue using it, but why not have the ability, just the ability, to receive an MMS from someone else? Would you really turn your nose up to that because you deem it "nonconforming?"

This discussion brings me to one other thing I've always wondered - why is it that some Apple people get so offended if you criticize anything about an Apple product? Isn't the point of a forum to have open discussion? To point out a serious flaw with a product is not b*tching. Almost all of us have a passion for Apple products...that's why we're here. But that doesn't mean we should ignore any and all flaws and do nothing but lavish the company with praise. I am talking about a standard feature that millions of people use daily and there is absolutely no reason for such an advanced phone not to have it...none.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #102 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Dirk View Post

Surely you mean couldn't care less about?

Oops - yes
post #103 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Oh, I see. I need to tell all my friends that don't have smartphones that they should buy one and use email and that MMS is outdated, OR if they insist on using their primitive MMS, instruct them how to format the address so it goes to my email. If I were a self-centered snob I might go that route. But I'm not and I won't and I believe most people are not going to do that either. And your link to a "workaround" (originally written in 2006) for outbound messages is fine...if you know who the carrier is for every single one of your contacts or are prepared to asked them each time you want to send them a quick note. I can see the conversation:

*ring*ring*
Girl: "Hello?"
Guy: "Hey Ashley, it's Andy. Just wondering, who's your carrier?"
Ashley: "My carrier?"
Andy: "Yeah, for your cell phone."
Ashley: "Oh, it's Verizon. Why?"
Andy: "Oh I just wanted to send you a text."
Ashley: "You need to know my carrier for that?"
Andy: "Well sort of...I'm going to send an email to your text."
Ashley: "Well why don't you just send a text to my text?"
Andy: "Get with it Ashley...that would be stupid. Everyone uses email now."
Ashley: "Yeah, riiiiight, for emails. But when you text someone's phone you use text."
Andy: "Actually Ash, it's called SMS or MMS and it's outdated. BUT, I know you still use it so I'm going to email to your text."
Ashley: "Outdated? Everyone uses texts."
Andy: "You mean SMS."
Ashley: "Um, yeah, whatever. Listen, I gotta get going."
Andy: "Wait, what are you doing tonight?"
Ashley: "Umm, I just remembered I've got a family thing. I won't be able to go out. Gotta go. Bye."
Andy: "All night...hello? Are you still there?"

So let's get real here. Fact: when using a mobile phone to send images, the vast majority of people use MMS. I'm not going to get in a debate as to if MMS should go away or will go away in the future b/c it really has nothing to do with the here and now - and that's where I live. Maybe the people who don't complain about or miss MMS don't have many friends or don't have many that send them pictures. Fine, but many of us do...that's why the "feature" is so ubiquitous in the first place. So much so that it is generally considered a standard feature. All I'm asking for is to be able to receive MMS messages like every other phone can do. If you think email is better then you are free to continue using it, but why not have the ability, just the ability, to receive an MMS from someone else? Would you really turn your nose up to that because you deem it "nonconforming?"

This discussion brings me to one other thing I've always wondered - why is it that some Apple people get so offended if you criticize anything about an Apple product? Isn't the point of a forum to have open discussion? To point out a serious flaw with a product is not b*tching. Almost all of us have a passion for Apple products...that's why we're here. But that doesn't mean we should ignore any and all flaws and do nothing but lavish the company with praise. I am talking about a standard feature that millions of people use daily and there is absolutely no reason for such an advanced phone not to have it...none.

Lol I really love this entire post. It is all so true. I am
Tired of snobs saying MMS is out dated yet thousands of people ate even jailbreaking their iPhones to use swirley MMS and paying for it. A technology is not outdated if 90% of the people using phones use the technology. Just because apple isn't. Jeez ..
post #104 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Lol I really love this entire post. It is all so true. I am
Tired of snobs saying MMS is out dated yet thousands of people ate even jailbreaking their iPhones to use swirley MMS and paying for it. A technology is not outdated if 90% of the people using phones use the technology. Just because apple isn't. Jeez ..

Glad to entertain It just makes me roll my eyes when someone says MMS isn't needed and suggests emailing to whichever carrier. Like that's practical.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #105 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

i think you and "Mac Old Timer" must be the same person as no one agrees with him on anything usually. Also you both tend to sound like angry old dudes with a lot of chips on your shoulder.

"Mac Old timer" in particular goes through the exact same list of gripes on each and every post he makes practically. I don't know what's worse, the idiotic comments from the kiddies or the grumbling blackness of the minds of the older folks.

Sorry to disappoint - your speculation is incorrect. But just imagine if you were right! That would mean...

I'm just a simple guy trying to use my iPhone the way I used a previous device and find it lacking in some basic features. If it makes you feel better I'm happy to say, as I alluded to in my post, that Apple has produced some of the best technology ever and I admire the company and their products in general.

Not sure where you read "angry", "chip on your shoulder" or "grumbling blackness" in my post but I won't apologize for having an opinion which I think I stated fairly objectively. I guess maybe being a little older shields me somewhat from the "Apple can do no wrong keep your mouth shut and kneel before that altar" effect.
post #106 of 125
I think the correct expression is "Whoop di do"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Whoopie do!!
post #107 of 125
A phone that is capable of MMS usually has a more advanced phone book as well, including fields for email addresses.

You can usually add an email address to a contacts details when it is recieved in an SMS.

99.99999999% of phone's capable of syncing with a PC will sync with Outlook or Outlook express, which are primarily EMAIL programs, which means that your technically illiterate friend's probably already have your email address.

When MMS was first introduced sending them to emails was usually the only option before many people had MMS capable phone's, sending MMS internationally also works better when sent to an email address as whether your recipients are able to receive them is dependent on network agreements.

I think the last MMS I recieved was in 2006.

As I said the cost of sending a 400kb packet of data is disproportionally expensive compared to email over wireless or via a network using data, then what happens if your recipient has a phone that is limited to 100kb?

Anyway if MMS is critical to YOU don't buy an iPhone and don't presume that you know better than me what MY needs are.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #108 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Anyway if MMS is critical to YOU don't buy an iPhone and don't presume that you know better than me what MY needs are.

I don't think anyone was trying to tell you what your needs are. I am baffled as to why you would think that.

Something about your post suggests that you think the iPhone might even be diminished with the addition of MMS.
post #109 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A phone that is capable of MMS usually has a more advanced phone book as well, including fields for email addresses.

You can usually add an email address to a contacts details when it is recieved in an SMS.

99.99999999% of phone's capable of syncing with a PC will sync with Outlook or Outlook express, which are primarily EMAIL programs, which means that your technically illiterate friend's probably already have your email address.

When MMS was first introduced sending them to emails was usually the only option before many people had MMS capable phone's, sending MMS internationally also works better when sent to an email address as whether your recipients are able to receive them is dependent on network agreements.

I think the last MMS I recieved was in 2006.

As I said the cost of sending a 400kb packet of data is disproportionally expensive compared to email over wireless or via a network using data, then what happens if your recipient has a phone that is limited to 100kb?

Anyway if MMS is critical to YOU don't buy an iPhone and don't presume that you know better than me what MY needs are.

I don't think anyone claimed to know what's best for you. You are still claiming MMS is not needed when many, many people use it. As for the, "you shouldn't have bought one" argument, MMS was rumored to be an update that would come soon after launch. I purchased mine the week of launch and have been waiting fairly patiently for over a year and a half now. Am I not allowed to ask for a very simple, highly used feature (except for you) to be made part of the update? Or, if Apple is never going to do this could they not simply tell us that? It might even be nice if they explained why. Unfortunately, they've never done anything to quell the rumors that MMS would be coming. As of now, we all must believe they have no plans but that does not mean we can't ask for it.

As for my "technically illiterate friends," well - they're called girls and I for one am not going to give them up simply because they are not into technology like I am

P.S. No offense to any women who are into technology. I actually dated and am still friends with one who is an engineer. But she is the exception to the generally accepted observation that most women aren't into tech as much as men. If you are into computers and technology please call me at 555 -xxx-xxxx

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #110 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I don't think anyone claimed to know what's best for you. You are still claiming MMS is not needed when many, many people use it. As for the, "you shouldn't have bought one" argument, MMS was rumored to be an update that would come soon after launch. I purchased mine the week of launch and have been waiting fairly patiently for over a year and a half now. Am I not allowed to ask for a very simple, highly used feature (except for you) to be made part of the update? Or, if Apple is never going to do this could they not simply tell us that? It might even be nice if they explained why. Unfortunately, they've never done anything to quell the rumors that MMS would be coming. As of now, we all must believe they have no plans but that does not mean we can't ask for it.

As for my "technically illiterate friends," well - they're called girls and I for one am not going to give them up simply because they are not into technology like I am

P.S. No offense to any women who are into technology. I actually dated and am still friends with one who is an engineer. But she is the exception to the generally accepted observation that most women aren't into tech as much as men. If you are into computers and technology please call me at 555 -xxx-xxxx

Technically illiterate as in the one your phone call was based on.

All you have to do is end an SMS with your email address, ask them to save it to your contact details in their phonebook and direct any MMS's to the your email not your phone number.

Email was around a long time before the phone companies spotted the potential of charging large amounts for data which is associated with MMS.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #111 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Truthfully, since what I really want is usually embedded somewhere in a webpage, I usually just mail myself a link and it's just as good.

Seeing the iphone being limited only to that, valued customers will then never stop cursing Apple's crippled design and implementation...
At Apple they have hopefully the gang of smart guys knowing how to equilibrate our nice-to-haves and their strategies....

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Anyway if MMS is critical to YOU don't buy an iPhone and don't presume that you know better than me what MY needs are.

ahahahaha best post ever.... Hi mr pot, meet mr kettle.
post #113 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Technically illiterate as in the one your phone call was based on.

All you have to do is end an SMS with your email address, ask them to save it to your contact details in their phonebook and direct any MMS's to the your email not your phone number.

Email was around a long time before the phone companies spotted the potential of charging large amounts for data which is associated with MMS.

Never mind.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #114 of 125
Feels snappier, maybe its just me.









Reply
Reply
post #115 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

ahahahaha best post ever.... Hi mr pot, meet mr kettle.

Yes, of course, why evaluate a purchase based on your needs when you can just buy it then complain about what it can't do.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #116 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yes, of course, why evaluate a purchase based on your needs when you can just buy it then complain about what it can't do.

Already asked and answered so I'm not going to go over it again.

And one more thing...I think the guy you were quoting was pointing out the hypocrisy of your statement, not agreeing with it.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post

What, do you get a friend to compile for you?

sorta kinda

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #118 of 125
...the problem here is phone companies use it extensively for administrative purposes... say, they subscribe you to their services like mobile tv by sending you mms... this may be outdated nowadays, but it is done like that and nobody's gonna change... their eccentric explanations used to be like "yes, sir, absolutely. iphone's the best, sir. nay. this isn't going to work with iphone"... painful for gadgety people...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

...the problem here is phone companies use it extensively for administrative purposes... say, they subscribe you to their services like mobile tv by sending you mms... this may be outdated nowadays, but it is done like that and nobody's gonna change... their eccentric explanations used to be like "yes, sir, absolutely. iphone's the best, sir. nay. this isn't going to work with iphone"... painful for gadgety people...


good point

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #120 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

And one more thing...I think the guy you were quoting was pointing out the hypocrisy of your statement, not agreeing with it.

Exactly. It's no different than getting into a new car and finding out it lacks Air Conditioning or ABS. It's not that Apple should do what everyone else is doing it's the fact that people get used to these features and view them as a standard. Obviously Apple has their own opinion of what is 'standard' (I saw the backlash over the recent Mac Book changes). The price we pay to play in Apples playground I suppose.

From a consumer point of view this has been my first 'Apple' experience and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Why should I give them any money in the future for a product? For everyone that says 'just don't buy it' or 'go buy something else'... that attitude has been keeping Apples market share in the toilet... you do realize that selling products is what keeps these companies alive right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2.1