or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evidence shows Apple testing next-gen iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evidence shows Apple testing next-gen iPhone

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Hidden strings in Apple's latest iPhone firmware reveals that a major revision of the hardware is in the works and is even being tested online.

A poke around the latest iPhone firmware by Mac Rumors has found a product string for iPhone 2,1, a version of the handset that has never been publicly available or else visible in previous firmware.

The 2007 launch iPhone identifies itself as iPhone 1,1, while the current iPhone 3G lists as iPhone 1,2, indicating that it's a minor revision of a similar design. As with similar practices for Macs, Apple's choice of 2,1 implies a major update for the handset; the second-generation iPod touch is listed as iPod 2,1 and includes slightly faster internal hardware as well as a significant external redesign.

And while such company-produced leaks rarely hint at the state of the future hardware, a developer tracking ad views from PinchMedia claims to have seen requests coming from iPhone 2,1 devices; the discovery suggests that test iPhones are functioning at a level which lets them connect to the web.

Apple has until now provided few clues as to its 2009 plans for the iPhone and has left most of the talking to its individual component makers, which could potentially offer more advanced graphics, newer ARM processors or new communications chips that would permit faster 3G cellular data.
post #2 of 48
Give me an iChat enabled iPhone and I'm in.

Of course AT&T would probably raise monthly rates for such a device that would suck down their network.
post #3 of 48
If I wasn't so married to Rogers' 3 Year Contract I'd go buy a new iPhone! I like new things
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

If I wasn't so married to Rogers' 3 Year Contract I'd go buy a new iPhone! I like new things

Well if there is a new phone, Rogers and fido (and I assume most carriers) will let you upgrade for the price of the phone or something less than that.

The thing I don't think Apple or any of the carriers have thought of is that the 3G phones will either be junk or re-sold to others and if resold, then the carriers will pretty much have to start activating and accepting people with iPhones that were not bought on the spot at their stores. At least it would be quite an outrage not to considering the environmental implications.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #5 of 48
Why is it news that Apple is working on an update? Obviously Apple is always working on an update. It wuld be news if it wasn't.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Why is it news that Apple is working on an update? Obviously Apple is always working on an update. It wuld be news if it wasn't.

Because people get bored and need something to argue... er... talk about?
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Why is it news that Apple is working on an update? Obviously Apple is always working on an update. It wuld be news if it wasn't.

good point, but i think it became news because everyone is so curious as to what the next version will be like.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
post #8 of 48
I am quite happy with my iPhone 3G. Main things that could be better are:

- Battery life
- File transfer speed (e.g. uploading a movie)
- Answering: I would like a dedicated hard to push button for answering a ringing phone
- GPS: takes too long to home in on you
- Orientation-change detection: not reliable enough
- Screen turns off when you're speaking: I don't like this behavior, could it be a preference setting.
post #9 of 48
"...the discovery suggests that test iPhones are functioning at a level which lets them connect to the web..."

OOOOOOHH MY GOD!!!!!! NOOOO WAYYYYY!!!! WOW. Connecting to the worldwide interweb?!?!?!?!? Wow it's so ahead of the times...

Come on, can we get some real tech news? Sometimes I feel like Apple is getting "old" and I have been a long-time fan.
post #10 of 48
would it make at&t's coverage better? if not, i'm still screwed for another 1 year or so
- Dual 2.0GHz G5 | 2.5GB Ram | Switched April 2004 and Lovin' it!
- MacBook Pro Dual 2.0GHz | 2GB Ram
- iMac Aluminum 2.66GHz | 4GB

My Site
Reply
- Dual 2.0GHz G5 | 2.5GB Ram | Switched April 2004 and Lovin' it!
- MacBook Pro Dual 2.0GHz | 2GB Ram
- iMac Aluminum 2.66GHz | 4GB

My Site
Reply
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Give me an iChat enabled iPhone and I'm in.

Of course AT&T would probably raise monthly rates for such a device that would suck down their network.

Ooh! That patent for putting a camera behind the LCD screen would come in handy for that!
post #12 of 48
Makes perfect sense. The PUSH is a huge lead into this. Apple couldn't make the iPhone process PUSH in the background, so they waited until super performance iPhone is ready.

If this next iPhone does have its own chip I think COPY&PASTE, PUSH and Dual Camera is much of a reality. The current camera can be facing the user, while new 5 mega-pixel camera can be facing back.

Latest version of iLife really gave hints that Apple is serious about photos so I wouldn't be surprise if iPhone can automatically send your pics directly to iPhoto app over 3G or Wi-Fi. They can be stored on Mobile Me until user opens iPhoto. Then iPhoto will ask to retrieve new photos from MobileMe.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Because people get bored and need something to argue... er... talk about?

Hence the person a few posts prior getting giddy like a beverly hills yuppy needing the latest "thing."
post #14 of 48
Dream iPhone version 3:

- 800Mhz+ ARM Cortex-A8 CPU
- PowerVR SGX
- HSUPA (fast, low latency uploads)
- better camera with autofocus, flash, video
- forward-facing camera for video calls
- universal dual-mode CDMA EV-DO/HSPA chipset for worldwide use (see blackberry 8800 world phone)

post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

"...the discovery suggests that test iPhones are functioning at a level which lets them connect to the web..."

OOOOOOHH MY GOD!!!!!! NOOOO WAYYYYY!!!! WOW. Connecting to the worldwide interweb?!?!?!?!? Wow it's so ahead of the times...

Come on, can we get some real tech news? Sometimes I feel like Apple is getting "old" and I have been a long-time fan.

I think you missed the point here, bud. The point of what you quoted was to show that the device was in some form of testing, not that the new iPhone will be able to access the internet.

I mean people flipped out over the 3G, I think news of something that gets a whole new first number is a pretty big deal myself. I never upgraded to the 3G, so I might jsut skip over that half generation and get a new phone when 2,1 comes out.
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

I think you missed the point here, bud. The point of what you quoted was to show that the device was in some form of testing, not that the new iPhone will be able to access the internet.

I mean people flipped out over the 3G, I think news of something that gets a whole new first number is a pretty big deal myself. I never upgraded to the 3G, so I might jsut skip over that half generation and get a new phone when 2,1 comes out.

Ditto. 3G didn't offer me enough to justify a repurchase. Even though the screen of my 1G is cracked. Sucks Apple or AT&T won't warranty it. DID I SAY THAT LOUD ENOUGH IT IS TOTALLY GHEY THAT THE IPHONE IS NOT COVERED BY APPLECARE OR ANY WARRANTY AGAINST DAMAGE. IT IS A PORTABLE DEVICE AND WILL EVENTUALLY GET BROKEN.

Anyways, I'll buy when there is a significant update. READ: A CAMERA WORTH A CRAP. The current camera is UNUSABLE.

Edit: I thought this was a CONVERGENCE device. Without a decent camera, it is not.

Edit 2: Thinking about it, the iPhone is the same as my (now long replaced) 5-year old Palm Treo 650, but with better graphics and Apple-authorized iTunes integration. Oh yeah, iPhone also has "Visual Voicemail" but really THAT'S IT. BUT, the 650 could be tethered to my laptop for free unlimted internet access...

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #17 of 48
I am supporting Apple's use of a dual core A9 Cortex based chip. A dual core iPhone seems like the next logical step coupled with a PowerVR SGX chip with OpenCL and Grand Central support. Probably 16GB and 32GB sizes with 256MB of RAM. Maybe dedicated VRAM for the SGX. I'm hoping for 802.11n support too. They'll probably also enable video recording support. I'm betting they'd keep the current 8GB iPhone 3G model on as a low cost model though at $149, and keep the current $199 and $299 price points for any new models. It doesn't seem like Apple would go for a major hardware overhaul and lower prices on the new models.

My concern with the dual core A9 Cortex though is that I haven't really heard anything concrete about power consumption relative to current generation ARM parts and I was still getting the impression that the A9 and especially the MPCore multicore designs were targeted for larger devices like MIDs and tablets more to nip at Intel's Atom than at cell phones which have greater battery constraints.

EDIT: For interest, Palm's Pre looks to use a ARM A8 with unknown clock speed. This'll be quite a bit faster than the current iPhone's processor. So Apple will have to go with a higher clocked ARM A8 or to an A9 to stay in the lead.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Ditto. 3G didn't offer me enough to justify a repurchase. Even though the screen of my 1G is cracked. Sucks Apple or AT&T won't warranty it. DID I SAY THAT LOUD ENOUGH IT IS TOTALLY GHEY THAT THE IPHONE IS NOT COVERED BY APPLECARE OR ANY WARRANTY AGAINST DAMAGE. IT IS A PORTABLE DEVICE AND WILL EVENTUALLY GET BROKEN.

Anyways, I'll buy when there is a significant update. READ: A CAMERA WORTH A CRAP. The current camera is UNUSABLE.

Edit: I thought this was a CONVERGENCE device. Without a decent camera, it is not.

Edit 2: Thinking about it, the iPhone is the same as my (now long replaced) 5-year old Palm Treo 650, but with better graphics and Apple-authorized iTunes integration. Oh yeah, iPhone also has "Visual Voicemail" but really THAT'S IT. BUT, the 650 could be tethered to my laptop for free unlimted internet access...

Edit 3: Hahaha the 650 also had video record functionality.

C'mon. I own and love my iPhone but a significant update is well past due. I'm not even going to mention COPY AND PASTE but it would be mighty handy when I'm using the NOTES app (oh yeah, doesn't that need sync support?!)

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #19 of 48
I hope it has bigger, louder stereo speakers so I can get good resonance with farting Apps, a smell simulation unit would be handy to add a bit of atmosphere.

Methane powercell, perhaps?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I hope it has bigger, louder stereo speakers so I can get good resonance with farting Apps, a smell simulation unit would be handy to add a bit of atmosphere.

Methane powercell, perhaps?

Speaking of speakers, it seems no matter how I hold the iPhone I am covering up 1 or both of the speakers, totally muffling the sound. Oh yeah, and they are NO WHERE NEAR LOUD ENOUGH... AND NEITHER IS THE RINGER!!!

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #21 of 48
With all this ranting and raving I forgot to mention that AT&T'S COVERAGE BLOWS DONKEY'S KONG!!!

I hope SJ reads this... and cares.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #22 of 48
umm, how about being able to use the iPhone like a computer circa mid-90s? You know, let a 3rd party app (like IM) run and accept messages *while* I'm using something like Safari?

That would probably require significant changes to the hardware and the mobile OS.
post #23 of 48
Finally these threads are fun to read again...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

Shout outs to:

I Hate Registering

hill60

bigMike
"We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic."
-Susan Jeffers
Reply
"We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic."
-Susan Jeffers
Reply
post #24 of 48
- slightly better camera (own a dSLR, everything above 4 MPX is a waste, because it makes the phone too big)
- GPS with downloadable maps and directions. Specifically for travelling abroad with a selection of maps that can be dowloaded via iTunes
- more memory
- ability to use the iPhone as a GPS tracking for dSLR picture taking (should be a matter of software implemented for it by third parties but, AFAIK, no one did it yet)
- better email management, such as Mail.app with one inbox that shows all incoming messages, regardless of the account.
- Stereo Bluetooth

Not much more in my opinion. Maybe a better GPS receiver...
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Dream iPhone version 3:

- 800Mhz+ ARM Cortex-A8 CPU
- PowerVR SGX
- HSUPA (fast, low latency uploads)
- better camera with autofocus, flash, video
- forward-facing camera for video calls
- universal dual-mode CDMA EV-DO/HSPA chipset for worldwide use (see blackberry 8800 world phone)


I'd go for video calls (as every 3G phone does).
900Mhz support for 3G would be great down here too, CDMA makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1n78 View Post

would it make at&t's coverage better? if not, i'm still screwed for another 1 year or so

Perhaps but unlikely. Now, a VoIP option would... if you could roam to your home or work network to give you virtual cell coverage. I'd love to see Apple integrate iChat with 3G voice and video calling, with seamless roaming onto VoIP. And it'd take a deal with AT&T and many other phone companies around the world to make that seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

- GPS with downloadable maps and directions. Specifically for travelling abroad with a selection of maps that can be dowloaded via iTunes
- ability to use the iPhone as a GPS tracking for dSLR picture taking (should be a matter of software implemented for it by third parties but, AFAIK, no one did it yet)
- Stereo Bluetooth

These are software things. GPS with downloadable maps would be great. Expanded Bluetooth would be useful in several ways.

Apparently there is an iPhone App that tracks your GPS location and with another app will integrate it with your photos - but it's not simple and the app has to be on (it can't run in the background). If the iPhone Maps just noted your location when activated and uploaded a summary to iPhoto while syncing... that'd be nice.
post #26 of 48
Like the original iPhone running a Leopard codebase before the Mac release, I think this year's iPhone will be running Snow Leopard. I'm thinking that Grand Central may not be implementated at launch, even if a dual-core ARM is used, but I do expect an Nvidia GPU with OpenCL running. I don't think SL will launch for Macs before the iPhone release and I can't think of a better way to showcase OpenCL. Large scale to promote the iPhone and OpenCL while still being very controlled. Very Apple!

The Nvidia GPU would finally allow for video conferencng and video recording, but I suspect that only the latter has any chance of coming to fruition this year. I also like the idea of doubling the RAM to 256MB, but that uses more power. Does DDR3 offer any significant power savings?

I think OLED is out, except perhaps on the higher-end model, but I'm not sure what the parts costs would be in this new year. I mention it because, I think the difference between the models need to be more than Flash capacity and an additional colour.

I am thinking that since it'll be two years since the original release (in other words contracts will be expiring) the original won't be getting the next SW update. To the chagrin and dissapointent of many Apple may even keep the new iPhone OS for the new HW. Only giving bug fixes and some minor enhancements to older devices. Why make mobile Snow Leopard work on two platforms at double the effort when you can make one and make more money? It's what I would do.


PS: I know it is somewhat iconic and we all have a plethora of accessories that use it, but the 30-pin connector is quite large for 2009. I hope that Apple will use a cable with USB on one end and mDP on the other. While that may confusing, Apple already allows for protected video/audio out of the 30-pin connector. Plus the presumed Nvidia GPU should be able to push at least 720p. I think the design of mDP, which is alreadybthin enough for Mac notebooks, may be in part for this reason. A standardized, future-forward video out port; okay, that doesn't sound very Apple.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Ditto. 3G didn't offer me enough to justify a repurchase. Even though the screen of my 1G is cracked. ... Anyways, I'll buy when there is a significant update.

Dude. I sold my 1G 4gig phone after 15 months of use in September '08 for $400 and bought the new 3G for nearly half of that. The 3G is so fast in my home I don't even turn on the WI-FI. The GPS rules, the speakers are much better, the case doesn't scratch and it feels far better in my hand.

I loved the update and have never loved a phone more.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like the original iPhone running a Leopard codebase before the Mac release, I think this year's iPhone will be running Snow Leopard. I'm thinking that Grand Central may not be implementated at launch, even if a dual-core ARM is used, but I do expect an Nvidia GPU with OpenCL running. I don't think SL will launch for Macs before the iPhone release and I can't think of a better way to showcase OpenCL. Large scale to promote the iPhone and OpenCL while still being very controlled. Very Apple!

The Nvidia GPU would finally allow for video conferencng and video recording, but I suspect that only the latter has any chance of coming to fruition this year. I also like the idea of doubling the RAM to 256MB, but that uses more power. Does DDR3 offer any significant power savings?

I think OLED is out, except perhaps on the higher-end model, but I'm not sure what the parts costs would be in this new year. I mention it because, I think the difference between the models need to be more than Flash capacity and an additional colour.

I am thinking that since it'll be two years since the original release (in other words contracts will be expiring) the original won't be getting the next SW update. To the chagrin and dissapointent of many Apple may even keep the new iPhone OS for the new HW. Only giving bug fixes and some minor enhancements to older devices. Why make mobile Snow Leopard work on two platforms at double the effort when you can make one and make more money? It's what I would do.


PS: I know it is somewhat iconic and we all have a plethora of accessories that use it, but the 30-pin connector is quite large for 2009. I hope that Apple will use a cable with USB on one end and mDP on the other. While that may confusing, Apple already allows for protected video/audio out of the 30-pin connector. Plus the presumed Nvidia GPU should be able to push at least 720p. I think the design of mDP, which is alreadybthin enough for Mac notebooks, may be in part for this reason. A standardized, future-forward video out port; okay, that doesn't sound very Apple.

You are on drugs. There is no way, and no point. They can't even implement multitasking applications and you think they're going to implement multicore ARMs, GPUs and DDR3 with OpenCL. Great if you don't mind having a battery life of 15 minutes. Did anyone tell you that the iPhone is a phone? It just suggests to me that you haven't got a clue.

More realistically the new version will have incremental upgrades like HSUPA and a bit more flash. Maybe even with a proper Bluetooth implementation.
post #29 of 48
The next iPhone will be more powerful, but not massively so. I think Apple may take the opportunity to increase battery life.

If I had to guess I would think that the next generation would have 256MB RAM (double the current), PowerVR SGX, and a faster CPU - 50/50 staying with ARM11 or moving to a Cortex A8. Also 50/50 whether the PA Semi design is complete or not, but if not then I'm sure they'll use the next generation of Samsung SoC and it depends on what is in there - which is probably the above.

It'll be interesting to see it when it is released. That's about all I can accurately say!
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 2007 launch iPhone identifies itself as iPhone 1,1, while the current iPhone 3G lists as iPhone 1,2, indicating that it's a minor revision of a similar design. As with similar practices for Macs, Apple's choice of 2,1 implies a major update for the handset; the second-generation iPod touch is listed as iPod 2,1 and includes slightly faster internal hardware as well as a significant external redesign.

What if it's not a phone? I mean, not JUST a phone . . .

What if it's a life-changing device that also kinda functions as a phone?
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

You are on drugs. There is no way, and no point. They can't even implement multitasking applications and you think they're going to implement multicore ARMs, GPUs and DDR3 with OpenCL. Great if you don't mind having a battery life of 15 minutes. Did anyone tell you that the iPhone is a phone? It just suggests to me that you haven't got a clue.

More realistically the new version will have incremental upgrades like HSUPA and a bit more flash. Maybe even with a proper Bluetooth implementation.

That was a dick comment.
post #32 of 48
iPhone 2,1: harder, better, faster, stronger.

And what? No rumblings of iPhone nano chatter because of this discovery? ZOMG.
post #33 of 48
The feature i want most is in software. I want remote pin-lock, locate and theft-report via iTunes.

If I can't find the phone I would first lock it remotely with a pin, then request say an email with the phone location marked on a google map.

If it's lost then I want options to get intelligence from the phone such as voice record, location, photo etc - hey, how about face recognition.

I want the iPhone to become known as the world's worst phone to steal, so that as soon as you pull it out, the scumbags just give up and target someone with a blackberry.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

iPhone 2,1: harder, better, faster, stronger.

And what? No rumblings of iPhone nano chatter because of this discovery? ZOMG.

Actually, I was thinking the exact opposite.
I don't think it is a new iPhone nano but rather a larger device.
I am more inclined to think that 2,1 implies a different product line.

Ironically, Jeff Bezos is rumored to be unveiling the Kindle 2 on Feb 9th.
February 10th is a Tuesday ; )
Perfect day for a new product introduction... iBook (a.k.a. Kindle killer)
</wishful thinking>
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

That was a dick comment.

That was nothing for Merdhead. Divergent opinions are fine by me, but I try not to respond to the a-hole commentors. Had his post been stated with more civility I would have pointed out that everything I mentioned, except the woefully needed RAM capacity increase, could be used to reduce power consumption.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 48
it could be a larger device still labeled as "iphone" but does not follow the number sequence from 2g to 3g hmmmm something must differentiate it. perhaps they will have two lines
3g
V3 with silver based more powerful, more expensive battery
multitaking etc.
in order to do multitasking (keeping some apps in background--voice dialing???, gps etc, does it require multicore?
explain the advantages of multicore to the iphone

this could be the netbook, if they allowed BT keyboard support, then bingo true convergence device for which a premium could be asked.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

The feature i want most is in software. I want remote pin-lock, locate and theft-report via iTunes.

If I can't find the phone I would first lock it remotely with a pin, then request say an email with the phone location marked on a google map.

If it's lost then I want options to get intelligence from the phone such as voice record, location, photo etc - hey, how about face recognition.

I want the iPhone to become known as the world's worst phone to steal, so that as soon as you pull it out, the scumbags just give up and target someone with a blackberry.

Apple has the dvosysyem to eadily make this happen. Even if they incorporate it into MobileMe ad a value added feature, but I doubt they will.

PS: There is a way to use a password instead of a PIN for the iPhone, though I forget which Apple created software is needed to to so. Might be in the SDK.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Actually, I was thinking the exact opposite.
I don't think it is a new iPhone nano but rather a larger device.
I am more inclined to think that 2,1 implies a different product line.

Ironically, Jeff Bezos is rumored to be unveiling the Kindle 2 on Feb 9th.
February 10th is a Tuesday ; )
Perfect day for a new product introduction... iBook (a.k.a. Kindle killer)
</wishful thinking>

That'll make Ireland happy, but I am inclined to think it's just a revised iPhone.

I'm looking forward to the new Kindle. I hope they get rid of the keyboard, the odd angles and make it faster, like the Sony readers, though larger than those. I expect eReaders to take off when they can nearly mimic a page of a typical magazine. I mean colour, too, though that looks to be far off.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 48
And really like the phone, but as I didn't do my complete homework before buying the phone I was sorely disappointed with the lack of MMS and copy and paste. These seem like such basic features for a handheld pda I would hope they put this in the next iphone.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk7117 View Post

And really like the phone, but as I didn't do my complete homework before buying the phone I was sorely disappointed with the lack of MMS and copy and paste. These seem like such basic features for a handheld pda I would hope they put this in the next iphone.

Because of it's power and robustness, I think many look at it as a PDA, but it's designed as a multimedia phone. Even Apple introduced it a phone, iPod, web brower all in one. Those ate the focus.

I think copy&paste are coming, but MMS seems very unlikely.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

"...the discovery suggests that test iPhones are functioning at a level which lets them connect to the web..."

OOOOOOHH MY GOD!!!!!! NOOOO WAYYYYY!!!! WOW. Connecting to the worldwide interweb?!?!?!?!? Wow it's so ahead of the times...

Come on, can we get some real tech news? Sometimes I feel like Apple is getting "old" and I have been a long-time fan.

The news is not that it can connect to the internet, genius. Connecting to the web indicates that the device and firmware are fairly far along in the development process.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evidence shows Apple testing next-gen iPhone