or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!

Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!

post #1 of 124
A few on here, love to discuss the nature of the ideas in my brain and where they come from. The most hilarious part about this discussion is how the conclusions are diametrically opposed and also "not mainstream" no matter how contradictory those conclusions. So we end up with wonderful reasoning like this...

Trumptman, you're the only guy thinking this and the majority doesn't think that way at all. You're isolated, alone, and the bubble you reside within is slowly killing your delusional state as it shrinks down on you. Even if someone can be linked to that has the same idea, that is just because you are part of some grand (but isolated and minority) right wing conspiracy that is just taking talking points and trying to create new memes to push into the discussion (that you aren't a part of since no one thinks like this and we really swear, you're an isolated minority that no one listens to at all)

One of those ideas I have postulated and put out there is the fact that the mainstream media prefers analysis as opposed to just reporting news, and secondly that news shows increasingly either show clips of comedy shows like "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" as something to "react" against or as just a segment now to fill the remaining amount of program time that they have where they don't want to report news or engage in analysis but still want to shape opinion.

Seems some of the Kos Kids have noticed it too.

The heretical view expressed in the article is that SATIRE is the tool du jour and that someone gets that it is being used for a purpose and very effectively to caricature Republican opposition so you don't have to engage it.

Quote:
Recall, also that Obama had indeed fallen behind John McCain in the polls, once Sarah Palin was picked, and that she was initially very popular. The Corporate Media could have easily overlooked and ignored her poor performance in a couple of interviews (as they had also happily done on behalf of Bush Jr., Cheney, and McCain himself), had it not been for the totally unexpected phenomena of Tina Fey's brilliant satire that then became the story, like a runaway train and impossible to stop.

So, the only way to take Rush Limbaugh down, is to "Tina Fey" him, or "Al Franken" him, relentlessly to the point where he becomes universally just a huge punch line so big, that even the GOP cannot be seen with him, or hold him up anymore as a figure of any credibility.

Now the question is, how is this accomplished?

. Will SNL help and do something?
. Will The Daily Show, or Colbert start a "series"?
. What about Musicians?
. A Michael Moore film project?

Recall? I can't possible recall such a thing. It didn't happen I am told. That was just part of "the bubble." "Everyone knows" that Palin was never popular and was just an idiot from day one as revealed by her very selection which also revealed McCain as an idiot. Sure Biden, the gaffe machine, Richardson the grand jury magnet and the "back tax" cabinet are all just "innocent mistakes" but everyone outside the bubble understands that just fine and knows Obama is wise and good for picking them all and the country is better for it too.

Also that list looks awfully familiar. It appears to be the very same list that folks like myself put forward as part of our evil "meme" about how turning everything into a joke instead of engaging in a discussion of ideas harms the country and is certainly not "hope", "change", "historical" or "different."

How is this possible? How is there room inside my bubble for... the Kos Kids?

When Trumptman and the Kos Kids see the same thing... perhaps it is actually just.... REALITY and although each would note the means and purposes of that reality and how it is being used for and against their respective view, it would still be objectively true that this is happening.

That can't possibly be true. That would mean the bubble doesn't exist.

Some will be so sad to hear that. It might poke a hole in their own attempts to caricature.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 124
What would be really awesome would be if you did the next ten posts in your own thread playing all the parts, in a "conversation" about how you are grievously mischaracterized.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 124
Good lord, but you're taking the loss of the last election badly.

Sarah Palin would be a fantastic target for satire whether she were a Republican or a Democrat. If a Democrat nominee were to choose a comparable twat for the sake of short-term expediency, he or she would be mocked, mercilessly.

It is touching that you still support your girl. It's perfectly possible that she might be President one day, I agree, since your nation actually elected George W Bush twice! He was also a twat. Although Sarah Palin is a different order of twat altogether. It'll be interesting to see whether America will fall for electing an incompetent, incoherent ideologue and twat again, because George Bush has driven your nation to the brink of ruin, and the case might have been proven that electing a twat is a mistake.

As for Rush, and that Daily Kos diary you linked to, and your defensiveness, er... don't get it, really.
post #4 of 124
No comment.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #5 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

A few on here, love to discuss the nature of the ideas in my brain and where they come from.

I can't guess.
post #6 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Good lord, but you're taking the loss of the last election badly.

Sarah Palin would be a fantastic target for satire whether she was a Republican or a Democrat. If a Democrat nominee were to choose a comparable twat for the sake of short-term expediency, he or she would be mocked, mercilessly.

It is touching that you still support your girl. It's perfectly possible that she might be President one day, I agree, since your nation actually elected George W Bush twice! He was also a twat. Although Sarah Palin is a different order of twat altogether. It'll be interesting to see whether America will fall for electing an incompetent, incoherent ideologue and twat again, because George Bush has driven your nation to the brink of ruin, and the case might have been proven that electing a twat is a mistake.

As for Rush, and that Daily Kos diary you linked to, and your defensiveness, er... don't get it, really.

So Palin would be mocked the same if she were a Democrat? Of course that wouldn't happen because then that would be SEXIST.

You know that "Clarence Thomas was alleged to have made comments to Anita Hill" type of sexism, not the "Bill Clinton was blown by an intern who he then threatened and attempted to buy off with a good job via friends" type of sexism.

It is the "a woman's body is her own private business until people want to allege that her final child was to cover for her teen daughter and so should demand dna tests" type of sexism.

I'm so happy to know this would happen both ways though. Could you link to all the SNL clips of Caroline Kennedy for me as I would like to watch them.

As for defense, dude I'm having a blast. The water plastic bottle rocket launcher I built with the kids yesterday apparently blew apart the bubble crowding my perspective.

post #7 of 124
Quote:

So Palin would be mocked the same if she were a Democrat? Of course that wouldn't happen because then that would be SEXIST.

Well now I'm really confused.

This can't be a John McCain campaign ad.

Oh no.

They didn't really make these t-shirts, did they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ns-droves.html
post #8 of 124
Quote:

Oh, please!

It all comes down to the degrees of twatitude.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #9 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Oh, please!

It all comes down to the degrees of twatitude.

I don't really know WHAT the above is supposed to mean... I just had the irresistible urge to type "twatitude".
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #10 of 124
Quote:

I don't really know WHAT the above is supposed to mean... I just had the irresistible urge to type "twatitude".

I think it means that Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and the Labor party have put Britain in the exact same place even though they aren't George Bush, and aren't conservative.

post #11 of 124
Quote:

I think you meant 'twatosity'?
post #12 of 124
I think this is my favorite thread ever in PO.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #13 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I think this is my favorite thread ever in PO.

Twat.
post #14 of 124
Quote:

Twat.

No. Twatology. Perhaps even Philotwatosophy.
post #15 of 124
Could someone remind me twat we are talking about?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #16 of 124
There has been nowhere near enough scholarly attention to whether the first word of Beowulf was supposed to be "TWAT!" instead of "Hwaet!"
post #17 of 124
Quote:

There has been nowhere near enough scholarly attention to whether the first word of Beowulf was supposed to be "TWAT!" instead of "Hwaet!"

Hello? Says the scholar? Get crackin', daddy-o.
post #18 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hello? Says the scholar? Get crackin', daddy-o.

Shit, I'm not learnin' Old English just so I can crack a joke.

Ok. I might learn Old English so I could crack a joke. But it would have to be a lot better than that one.
post #19 of 124
Quote:

Shit, I'm not learnin' Old English just so I can crack a joke.

Ok. I might learn Old English so I could crack a joke. But it would have to be a lot better than that one.

Job 1: Figure out a hilarious joke that hinges on ambiguities betwixt Old and Modern English.
Job 2: Learn Old English, make joke.

That doesn't work, you'll have to learn Old English to spot the candidate jokes. It's a linguistic pig in a poke, it is.

Maybe you could put a TA on the case?
post #20 of 124
Why would I ever watch the Daily Show? We have the audience and apparently some of the writers here in the forum. Thanks for being proof positive that we don't have to engage ideas when there are twats to consider.

post #21 of 124
Twat be or not twat be, that is the question;
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind twat suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or twat take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing, end them. Twat die, twat sleep;
No more; and by a sleep twat say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir twat — 'tis a consummation
Devoutly twat be wish'd. Twat die, twat sleep;
Twat sleep, perchance twat dream. Ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life,
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud woman's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,
When she herself might her quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
Twat grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly twat others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pitch[1] and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.[2]
post #22 of 124
post #23 of 124
So is someone arguing that Sarah Palin is not a huge joke?

I don't get this thread.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #24 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I don't get this thread.

I think this thread needs to be taken off the ventilator.
post #25 of 124
Quote:

I don't get this thread.

So don't get it. People who employ the tactic probably don't want it discussed or revealed.

Quote:

I think this thread needs to be taken off the ventilator.

Think about the Kos Kids. Do it for them.

post #26 of 124
Quote:

I don't get this thread.

Apparently the GOP likes her, still.
post #27 of 124
Quote:

I don't get this thread.

Nope. Someone is arguing that failure to understand that someone is always right, or to engage that important truth with the gravitas it deserves, is a failure of basic cognitive skills.

Business as usual, in other words.
post #28 of 124
I see that Palin has come out in favor of the stimulus package.
post #29 of 124
Quote:

Think about the Kos Kids. Do it for them.

Think of the Village of Emmonak.

Do it for them.

City of Emmonak, (907) 949-1227/1249
(They will take donations by credit card. Please specify the donation is for heating oil!)
Emmonak Tribal Council, (907) 949-1720

or send a check to:
Emmonak Tribal Council
P.O. Box 126
Emmonak, AK 99581
post #30 of 124
I think this thread needs a reboot. I think this especially true since the parties who don't want to think about it have spammed it to death with off-topic nonsense and do this across multiple threads.

The heretical view expressed in the article is that SATIRE is the tool du jour and that someone gets that it is being used for a purpose and very effectively to caricature Republican opposition so you don't have to engage it.
Quote:
Recall, also that Obama had indeed fallen behind John McCain in the polls, once Sarah Palin was picked, and that she was initially very popular. The Corporate Media could have easily overlooked and ignored her poor performance in a couple of interviews (as they had also happily done on behalf of Bush Jr., Cheney, and McCain himself), had it not been for the totally unexpected phenomena of Tina Fey's brilliant satire that then became the story, like a runaway train and impossible to stop.

So, the only way to take Rush Limbaugh down, is to "Tina Fey" him, or "Al Franken" him, relentlessly to the point where he becomes universally just a huge punch line so big, that even the GOP cannot be seen with him, or hold him up anymore as a figure of any credibility.

Now the question is, how is this accomplished?

. Will SNL help and do something?
. Will The Daily Show, or Colbert start a "series"?
. What about Musicians?
. A Michael Moore film project?

Also that list looks awfully familiar. It appears to be the very same list that folks like myself put forward as part of our evil "meme" about how turning everything into a joke instead of engaging in a discussion of ideas harms the country and is certainly not "hope", "change", "historical" or "different."

Please feel free to resume turning everything into a joke and thus, prove my point for me.

post #31 of 124
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #32 of 124
Yes, we recall how picking the unknown Sarah Palin did wonders for McCain's campaign. It lasted about ten days. And when the American people heard her speak they were appalled, and McCain's campaign was doomed.

We were appalled in Britain, too. And here's the thing. Sarah Palin became a laughing stock in Europe because she is catastrophically unqualified for high office.

Do you understand this? The greatest hope for your party, Sarah Palin, the woman you defend so touchingly on your blog, was a laughing stock in practically every nation with a TV station. Not only in the United States.

You got high on your own supply. And now you're fucked. Don't blame the Kos Kidz. Don't blame the evil media. You weren't supposed to believe she was capable. You were supposed to campaign for her, and try and convince the electorate she was capable, like you did with George W, a disgraceful man despised in every nation on earth. So you can stop now. Palin, I'm afriad, is a twat. She actually is. She really, really is an idiot.

Consider. Perhaps the satire was deserved. Consider the possibility that the woman you are looking to save your party, Nick, actually is utterly unqualified, was chosen for political expediency that could not be supported under the scrutiny of an election campaign. You've elected one twat, Nick, to international despair, and he bankrupted the fiscus and reputation of your nation. You don't have to do it again.

You can stop now. You can separate your self-esteem from the political failure of your party, put your nation first for once and try and find someone qualified to be the leader of the Republicans, because I'm pretty sure the nation's not going to fall for that shit again. If you try it don't be surprised when Palin is mocked and ridiculed all over again. It's self-defence. She deserves it.
post #33 of 124
Quote:

I think this thread needs a reboot. I think this especially true since the parties who don't want to think about it have spammed it to death with off-topic nonsense and do this across multiple threads.

YOU START ENTIRE THREADS WITH THIS IN MIND.

Quote:

Your discussion of ideas and yours alone. That is what all this is about and always has been. It always returns to you because you never sway from them.

You always "agree to disagree".

...so close to leaving this forum again....

But I have an on topic comment...

The reason that mocking Republicans works is that they have marginalized themselves by moving so far to the right, making the Democrats appear more centrist by comparison. It's not a question of left or right, it's "who happens to be closer to the center." It would be equally satisfying to mock the Left if it were equally extreme.

The Conservatives tried their own comedy show...t failed badly. Extremists cannot successfully mock the Center.
post #34 of 124
Quote:

Two and four years are awful quick. So far President Obama has signed some executive orders and watched while Congress larded up the stimulus plan. I'm sure some enterprising comedians could make fun of his attempt to go back into the White House through a window (as they did Bush to make him look like an idiot) or his 57 states, inability to give up smoking, and his 10,000 people died when it was 12 comments. Anyone who speaks enough or is in the public eye enough has gaffes. They fact that the jokes only come from one political orientation isn't seen as a weakness by me, but a strength. As the Kos Kids noted, you have to mock that which you cannot challenge on legitimate ground. If Palin is truly a joke, you don't need Tina Fey and a comedy show to make that point. It is when she isn't a joke that you need to turn her into one out fear.

You are typing yourself into inconsequential triviality here. Careful, baby steps...two weeks down 214 to go.
post #35 of 124
EDIT FOR PERSONAL ATTACK FLAVA

Sarah Palin is a twat.

Republicans are a team of pathologists declaring "This man would still be alive if someone hadn't pointed out he was cold and stiff!" and ignoring the suicide note, the shotgun and the enormous exit wound at the back of the dead guy's head.
post #36 of 124
Quote:

And the reason that Sarah Palin is a laughing stock even in nations who cannot vote in the American elections is..? In nations where Tina Fey's sketches were not an internet phenomenon? Where Letterman isn't broadcast and The Daily Show is something that a tiny minority watch on YouTube (we can't access content on the Comedy Central site in Europe, you know that, right?)? In nations where the media have no need to persuade a pliable electorate because no-one can vote in your election?

You have this worldwide polling data about the laughing stockability of Sarah Palin? Please present it because those that know her beyond the caricatures and that have to deal with her actual governing seem reasonably content.

People that inform themselves through caricature and not through actual information, I could give a flying fuck what they think. They get what they deserve because when you want to let SNL and the Daily Show be your news source, then you're in uninformed boob. If that describes most of the world, then so be it.

Quote:
If you want to continue this ludicrous fiction of Palin's competence obscured by comedians then you deserve to be mocked too.

So get to mocking. People can read my posting here and unlike the networks, people get to read what I type instead of what you want to insinuate. Mocking next to the source makes the person doing the mocking look like an idiot. You love John Stewart so much, why not take a look how he behaves interviewing those "war criminals" when he is on stage with them as opposed to behind his desk with the target far away and unable to respond. Go with a weak strategy that represents weak thinking and it will thrill me.

Quote:
I thought that the Republican party was supposed to be the party of responsibility. But you wouldn't know responsibility if it launched itself out of the toilet and chomped your bell-end. You should be asking yourselves why you actually lost but you're just complaining about the satire.

No we have new leadership, we are returning to our values with opposing more spending, the party is starting to grow a spine again. Knowing that satire is a tool is part of learning how we lost. People will learn to push back against the caricature crafters instead of laughing with them to be the nice guy that finishes last.

Quote:
Republicans are a team of pathologists declaring "This man would still be alive if someone hadn't pointed out he was cold and stiff!" and ignoring the suicide note, the shotgun and the enormous exit wound at the back of the dead guy's head.

You're fucked.

If I wanted to be fucked, I'd go to the E.U. The stimulus is the gun and the previously PAYGO Democrats are wondering why Republicans don't want to point it at their own head. Let them own it and it will sink them quickly. Just like how not paying your taxes has become an "innocent mistake" the Democratic majority is a stinking, rotting corpse that is dead on arrival. The foul aroma is already stinking up the air and change is smelling just like business as usual.

post #37 of 124
Quote:

You have this worldwide polling data about the laughing stockability of Sarah Palin? Please present it because those that know her beyond the caricatures and that have to deal with her actual governing seem reasonably content.

Please present the loving praise you can cite yourself first.

Quote:
People that inform themselves through caricature and not through actual information, I could give a flying fuck what they think. They get what they deserve because when you want to let SNL and the Daily Show be your news source, then your in uninformed boob. If that describes most of the world, then so be it.

We've been through this before...it's who and what you know, and where you get it...

Quote:
There are substantial differences in the knowledge levels of the audiences for different news outlets. However, there is no clear connection between news formats and what audiences know. Well-informed audiences come from cable (Daily Show/Colbert Report, O'Reilly Factor), the internet (especially major newspaper websites), broadcast TV (NewsHour with Jim Lehrer) and radio (NPR, Rush Limbaugh's program). The less informed audiences also frequent a mix of formats: broadcast television (network morning news shows, local news), cable (Fox News Channel), and the internet (online blogs where people discuss news events).

Also...

Quote:
The Daily Show: Journalism, Satire or Just Laughs?:

* The program's clearest focus is politics, especially in Washington. U.S. foreign affairs, largely dominated by the Bush administration's policies in Iraq, Washington politics and government accounted for nearly half (47%) of the time spent on the program. Overall, "The Daily Show" news agenda is quite close to those of cable news talk shows.
* The press itself is another significant focus on "The Daily Show." In all, segments about the press and news media accounted for 8% of program time. That is more than double the amount of coverage of media in the mainstream press overall during the same period.
* A good deal of the news, however, is also absent from "The Daily Show." In 2007, for example, major events such as the tragic Minneapolis bridge collapse were never discussed. And the shootings at Virginia Tech, the most covered story within a given week in 2007 by the overall press, received only a cursory mention.
* Republicans in 2007 tended to bear the brunt of ridicule from Stewart and his crew. From July 1 through November 1, Stewart's humor targeted Republicans more than three times as often as Democrats. The Bush administration alone was the focus of almost a quarter (22%) of the segments in this time period.
* The lineup of on-air guests was more evenly balanced by political party. But our subjective sense from viewing the segments is that Republicans faced harsher criticism during their interviews with Stewart. Whether this is because the show is simply liberal or because the Republicans control the White House is harder to pin down.

-----------------

Quote:
So get to mocking. People can read my posting here and unlike the networks, people get to read what I type instead of what you want to insinuate. Mocking next to the source makes the person doing the mocking look like an idiot. You love John Stewart so much, why not take a look how he behaves interviewing those "war criminals" when he is on stage with them as opposed to behind his desk with the target far away and unable to respond. Go with a weak strategy that represents weak thinking and it will thrill me.

Stephen Colbert roasting President Bush at the 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner doesn't count? Dude deserves a medal.
post #38 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Please present the loving praise you can cite yourself first.

We've been through this before...it's who and what you know, and where you get it...

Also...

-----------------

Stephen Colbert roasting President Bush at the 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner doesn't count? Dude deserves a medal.

We have been through it before. Paradoxically, you declare Daily Show viewers "informed" based off the fact that they know more than folks who watch CNN or network news yet based off what I consider an informed source, they are BOTH ignorant.

So that really hasn't proven much. Knowing who the Vice-President is, as an example, isn't informed by my perspective.

You also prove, again, my case that the signal to noise ratio is so bad for television news sources, that I am well justified in doing nothing more than sampling them periodically. The claim by anyone that this would leave someone badly informed does not hold up to such studies. When you can get more news from Stewart than Couric that says something terrible, but it still doesn't say you are informed compared to reading deep substantive information from multiple sources.

If you don't agree with me, then just be prepared to spread the love both ways because the Limbaugh and O'Reilly factor viewers were just about as "informed."

post #39 of 124
Make copies of your posts because any one that contains even a hint of comment about another poster is going to disappear tomorrow.

You guys may not be able to restrain yourselves despite numerous admonitions. Tough. At present this site has thousands of members and 2 or 3 are sucking up 90% of our time in their idiotic attempts to call each other names and tattle on each other.

I'll be mass-deleting tomorrow AM.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #40 of 124
Quote:

If I wanted to be fucked, I'd go to the E.U. The stimulus is the gun and the previously PAYGO Democrats are wondering why Republicans don't want to point it at their own head. Let them own it and it will sink them quickly. Just like how not paying your taxes has become an "innocent mistake" the Democratic majority is a stinking, rotting corpse that is dead on arrival. The foul aroma is already stinking up the air and change is smelling just like business as usual.

Come to the EU! You'd love it! In socialist control-freak Denmark and Sweden they're going "What's that noise down there? Yes, I'd love another mocha. Just off to buy a plasma TV actually, ciao ciao."

As for the rest of your post, I think we've tried it your way. For eight years. Didn't work out too well. I don't know why anyone's bothering to listen to the Republicans at all right now, frankly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!