or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies! - Page 2

post #41 of 124
Our favorite Joe (yeah, the plumber who owes back taxes who then became a journalist) is now advising the Republican Party.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18324.html

So, the top Republicans are Rush, Sara and Joe.

Comedy doesn't get this good. Nor does tragedy get this bad.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #42 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If you don't agree with me, then just be prepared to spread the love both ways because the Limbaugh and O'Reilly factor viewers were just about as "informed."

Still waiting for the citations of love that was spread on for Palin...
post #43 of 124
Quote:
So, the top Republicans are Rush, Sara and Joe.

Comedy doesn't get this good. Nor does tragedy get this bad.

The truth of it is this: Republcans haven't had broad popular support since Ronnie left office. They are a divisive force.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #44 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

The truth of it is this: Republcans haven't had broad popular support since Ronnie left office. They are a divisive force.

They are a dying force.

And a divisive farce.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #45 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Our favorite Joe (yeah, the plumber who owes back taxes who then became a journalist) is now advising the Republican Party.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18324.html

So, the top Republicans are Rush, Sara and Joe.

Comedy doesn't get this good. Nor does tragedy get this bad.

Don't forget folks like Bobby(Jindal) and Michael (Steele)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Still waiting for the citations of love that was spread on for Palin...

I have no idea to what you are referring. I was mentioning the fact that "dittoheads" are as informed as "Colbertheads."

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

The truth of it is this: Republcans haven't had broad popular support since Ronnie left office. They are a divisive force.

I guess the 1994 Republican Revolution and eight years of Bush were just a mass delusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

They are a dying force.

And a divisive farce.

So were Democrats in 2004.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #46 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have no idea to what you are referring. I was mentioning the fact that "dittoheads" are as informed as "Colbertheads."

VVVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You have this worldwide polling data about the laughing stockability of Sarah Palin? Please present it because those that know her beyond the caricatures and that have to deal with her actual governing seem reasonably content.

^^^^^

Present the polls on her amazing governorship (or anything for that matter).

There's plenty of negative shit. Find us the (unbiased) positives.
post #47 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

VVVVVV

^^^^^

Present the polls on her amazing governorship (or anything for that matter).

There's plenty of negative shit. Find us the (unbiased) positives.

Here is a DailyKos poll (hope you trust that source) showing here trouncing Murkowski and it was taken after the last elections.

Here is a poll where 69% of GOP'ers say she helped McCain instead of being a drag on the ticket.

There are dozens of polls out there from election season that note her fall in approval from low 90's to upper 60's in terms of approval rating. The average I have seen is about 68-67%.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #48 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Here is a DailyKos poll (hope you trust that source) showing here trouncing Murkowski and it was taken after the last elections.

Here is a poll where 69% of GOP'ers say she helped McCain instead of being a drag on the ticket.

There are dozens of polls out there from election season that note her fall in approval from low 90's to upper 60's in terms of approval rating. The average I have seen is about 68-67%.

Thank you trumptman. There's hope for you and Palin...if she does what the voters voted for her to do.
post #49 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Make copies of your posts because any one that contains even a hint of comment about another poster is going to disappear tomorrow.

You guys may not be able to restrain yourselves despite numerous admonitions. Tough. At present this site has thousands of members and 2 or 3 are sucking up 90% of our time in their idiotic attempts to call each other names and tattle on each other.

I'll be mass-deleting tomorrow AM.

[ok whatever . . . . didn't see these updates and rewrites I now hear about.


anyway: sources sources sources . . . . internet political discussions seem to be more and more about aligning with a side chosen for whatever reasons, aesthetics, personalities, charisma . . anything except actual reasoning (and I am not talking specific people here, no whiffs of attacks, I am talking about everybody)

Polarization seems to be the norm where no amount of reasoned debate will have any impact whatsoever . . . I have only once seen an individual change their ideas over-time, and in that famous case, t was changed even in spite of his living amidst a community completely opposed to his new-found reasoning capabilities.

Here's to hoping that we all of us can learn to think like that
(or like addabox, cause he's so damn smart!)
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
post #50 of 124
Thread Starter 
Seems the KOS kids are getting their wishes. Too bad it isn't funny.

The desperation there is palpable. They desire the caricature so desperately to avoid even a preemptive discussion of ideals.

What is the idea they want to avoid, Republicans were wrong and took the inch on budget matters. Democrats are taking the mile and it is to the tune of trillions.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #51 of 124
Yes! George Soros consulted with algore and then called Loren Michaels and ordered him cancel the substantiative-discussion-of-the-issues-of-the-day skit and replace it with the low-hanging-fruit-of-Republicans-are-lethally-out-of-touch bit because he was desperate! Desperate to fog our minds!

America's comedy/socialism complex will stop at nothing to avoid a frank discussion! Republicans must get the message out, and expose the sinister plot of the mocking! They must blog and twitter harder! They must tell the American people the truth about SNL, and about how claiming they are tone deaf to political reality is nothing short of attempted genocide!

They can follow that up with a series of town hall style seminars on how the secret implication that Republicans are paranoid lunatics with a persecution complex as clearly discernible in the latest Pepsi ads is a filthy lie by the Socialist Cabal That Actually Runs Everything.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #52 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes! George Soros consulted with algore and then called Loren Michaels and ordered him cancel the substantiative-discussion-of-the-issues-of-the-day skit and replace it with the low-hanging-fruit-of-Republicans-are-lethally-out-of-touch bit because he was desperate! Desperate to fog our minds!

America's comedy/socialism complex will stop at nothing to avoid a frank discussion! Republicans must get the message out, and expose the sinister plot of the mocking! They must blog and twitter harder! They must tell the American people the truth about SNL, and about how claiming they are tone deaf to political reality is nothing short of attempted genocide!

They can follow that up with a series of town hall style seminars on how the secret implication that Republicans are paranoid lunatics with a persecution complex as clearly discernible in the latest Pepsi ads is a filthy lie by the Socialist Cabal That Actually Runs Everything.

No one has to order anyone. Michaels, Gore and Soros have the same ideology.

It is fun to suggest conspiracy though rather than say.... reading the comments at HuffPo.

Some samples...

Quote:
To he ll with main stream media. SNL is the most adequate news when it comes to telling what is really happening in Washington.

How did Saturday night Live know what the republicans game is?

Where is the outrage at such an early going after the Obama girls? At least some thoughts on how this might be inappropriate. Or, is this the beginning of the objectification of two more black women? (THIS PERSON APPARENTLLY THINKS IT IS THE NEWS)

WHY NO ONE THOUGHT THE SNL GOP SKIT FUNNY (tho, did you weep, brother+sister citizen?)
BECAUSE, WHY?: because it was way, way to close to the TRUTH.

What was funny about that? I think it is probably pretty close to accurate. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they are all sitting around waiting for Obama to fail. shame on them.

Wait...this was SNL? I thought it was CSPAN covering an actual Republican leadership meeting.
For satire to be funny, it needs to exaggerate more.

Exactly what I was thinking. Good concept, but it was too realistic. I could actually see Rushpublicans having that strategy session.

This wasn't that funny and it's a good thing for SNL that not many people saw it.
They need to bring back the Sarah Palin character. We should start a petition or something.(THIS PERSON APPEARS TO NO LONGER REALIZE PALIN IS A REAL PERSON AND NOT THE CHURCH LADY)

I thought it was great - shows the repubs just what they sound like to america - any actor can make the repubs look like what they really are -

instant classic. masterpiece. they've found another wonderful groove. i hope they dig into those diabolical fiends until they've all been PALINIZED

It was a good documentary.

Notice all the references to... this is reality? Except for the fact that there was no televised meeting of this nature where Republicans did anything like this to exaggerate.

To the people who prefer the caricatures though, it has become reality. They long for it and beg for the "Palinization" to continue.

Shouldn't we have a debate about spending $800 billion dollars? Fuck that, Palinize them and let's get on to the weekend.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #53 of 124
Edited because it is futile to argue with the starter of this thread.
post #54 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Yes, that's absolutely right, Nick. There is no debate anywhere on 'the left' about the merits or demerits of the stimulus. The only people who are discussing this are contributors at POWERLINE! and redstate.

Pesky, evil, damn facts. Nick has an argument to win, god damn it.

I do not understand your caricature obsession. It's a very inaccurate reading of circumstances and looks very much to me like grasping at straws.

Caricature obsession. I could see your point if I weren't providing examples. They are there daily. I've named them and linked to the sources that show this is where the left prefers to get their NEWS.(Those are the facts, not a dismissal) The Daily Show, Colbert Report and SNL, people are watching these like they were the BBC News at Six.

Wouldn't you be concerned if large segments of your country were getting their news from fake sources that spend the entire time caricaturing and exaggerating it? Wouldn't you be concerned if in fact they declared a preference for dealing with information that way?

I don't watch enough British television to know what would be analogous. I just know it can't be an inaccurate reading when this stuff is on daily and is increasingly being used by real news sources as well. I'm not imagining THIS WEEK with George Stephanopoulos using five minutes a week of this material to fill their news hour, it is happening.

Finally what is happening (I'm giving the source for goodness sakes, I'm linking to the videos and comments) is that the exaggeration is driving the debate rather than flowing from it. People are asking for the caricature to be created to ALTER the debate. It is no longer a quip, but a tactic. Perhaps the closest thing I can imagine is Sacha Baron Cohen. Imagine if people were getting their news from Ali G and Borat. Then imagine the next step, if they preferred it to the point that they were BEGGING for Sacha Baron Cohen to go interview someone in hopes that the ridicule would destroy the person presenting the idea rather than have any serious debate on the merits of various ideas.

It is and should be disturbing when people are asking for their news to ad-hom public figures in hopes that more people, like they themselves do, will prefer the logical fallacy to reality.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #55 of 124
I don't know how you can go on about this when for a period of time spanning 20 years with Limbaugh to the last 8 or more with Coulter, Hannity, Beck and others of their ilk have been doing this and have CONTINUED to do this and WILL keep doing this caricaturization of the left.

But you see, I have turned off the teevee and have reminded myself that most of what is presented as news on television and even on the web is pure shit. The HuffPost especially, since they have become more of a celebrity web site than a news site. If you notice, whenever I do link an article there, it's from a reliable writer and linked to the print version. Their site design has become abysmal and is too distracting. Plus, with there rise in popularity, they have started to get what all web sites get, the idiots who post comments worthy of absolutely nothing. Why read them?

Eventually, I will have to go elsewhere, which is exactly what you should do trumptman.
post #56 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Caricature obsession. I could see your point if I weren't providing examples. They are there daily. I've named them and linked to the sources that show this is where the left prefers to get their NEWS.(Those are the facts, not a dismissal) The Daily Show, Colbert Report and SNL, peop]

snip

It is and should be disturbing when people are asking for their news to ad-hom public figures in hopes that more people, like they themselves do, will prefer the logical fallacy to reality.

Yes, we have satire in the United Kingdom, too. I'm familiar with it. They had satire in ancient Rome, in Renaissance Italy, in Elizabethan England and we've had it on TV for decades. But thanks for the examples nevertheless.

Here in the UK we have politicians whose behaviour is worthy of being mocked, as do other nations. They are mocked, on television, and sometimes on the radio, too.

Your leaders, Nick, act in ways that lend themselves to satire and instead of asking for better leaders you're complaining that people are mocking them.

They're going to carry on mocking Sarah Palin, Nick, because she's a twat.
post #57 of 124
The Daily Show is certainly not The Evening News... but what John does manage to do is to actually show the idiocy and hypocrisy of certain people out there who are influencing matters.

I recall referencing a Daily Show clip and its being dismissed simply because it came from TDS. The clip, actually, had no real input from John, the host, but rather showed the idiots in all their glory, in their own words, saying completely opposite things that simply could not both be true but were presented as such at the time so that the official opinion could be presented.

TDS does their homework and recalls the older clips that clash with the new and present them; most of the people watching the single clips never connect the dots.

Palin, Hannity, Rove, O'Reilly, and many others have had the honor of having their own words prove beyond a doubt that they are complete and utter idiots.

Hats off to TDS because they have a team that will sit down and review old tapes to match them with the new.

Case in point:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...in-gender-card

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #58 of 124
So both the left and right think think network and cable news reporting sucks.

I'm SHOCKED I tell you. Shocked.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #59 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I don't know how you can go on about this when for a period of time spanning 20 years with Limbaugh to the last 8 or more with Coulter, Hannity, Beck and others of their ilk have been doing this and have CONTINUED to do this and WILL keep doing this caricaturization of the left.

But you see, I have turned off the teevee and have reminded myself that most of what is presented as news on television and even on the web is pure shit. The HuffPost especially, since they have become more of a celebrity web site than a news site. If you notice, whenever I do link an article there, it's from a reliable writer and linked to the print version. Their site design has become abysmal and is too distracting. Plus, with there rise in popularity, they have started to get what all web sites get, the idiots who post comments worthy of absolutely nothing. Why read them?

Eventually, I will have to go elsewhere, which is exactly what you should do trumptman.

I think it is pretty clear I have gone somewhere for the majority of my news. Unlike others on here though Artman, I'll applaud your candor and note, unlike them, that it seeking more signal and less noise makes you more informed and not less. Others have readed the opposite conclusions when actions such as those you state are taken and it is a strange conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Yes, we have satire in the United Kingdom, too. I'm familiar with it. They had satire in ancient Rome, in Renaissance Italy, in Elizabethan England and we've had it on TV for decades. But thanks for the examples nevertheless.

Here in the UK we have politicians whose behaviour is worthy of being mocked, as do other nations. They are mocked, on television, and sometimes on the radio, too.

Your leaders, Nick, act in ways that lend themselves to satire and instead of asking for better leaders you're complaining that people are mocking them.

They're going to carry on mocking Sarah Palin, Nick, because she's a twat.

I've not complained about anyone whose behavior is worthy of being mocked having that behavior mocked. Quite the opposite in fact, I've complained that when everything is a mockery then it isn't comedy anymore but sad and just mean. The second and most important point though is when people are begging for someone to be mocked not because of their behavior, but so that when they do engage in the public arena of ideas the caricature will be what has taken hold instead of what is actually presented.

The clip I linked to on SNL, it is mocking events that NEVER HAPPENED. Do you get that? There is nothing they are exaggerating.

As a quick reverse example, Clinton got caught in the campaign talking about how she flew into Bosnia. She talked about coming in under sniper fire and it turns out there was nothing of the sort and it was found in archival footage. She was mocked for it and that was deserved.

Now imagine instead she didn't make the claim about coming in under sniper fire but you just wanted to discredit her as a candidate. So you have a Hillary caricature make the claims and then mock how they are different from reality.

That shouldn't be funny because it is jut a lie. It would be attempting to portray someone as a liar when they didn't lie. It would be a claimed exaggeration of an event that had no basis in reality.

Don't you think that would be damaging to public discourse? As you note, you mock their behaviors, when they don't have behavior though and you just make it up and mock it, that isn't comedy, that is a lie and an attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Daily Show is certainly not The Evening News... but what John does manage to do is to actually show the idiocy and hypocrisy of certain people out there who are influencing matters.

I recall referencing a Daily Show clip and its being dismissed simply because it came from TDS. The clip, actually, had no real input from John, the host, but rather showed the idiots in all their glory, in their own words, saying completely opposite things that simply could not both be true but were presented as such at the time so that the official opinion™ could be presented.

TDS does their homework and recalls the older clips that clash with the new and present them; most of the people watching the single clips never connect the dots.

Palin, Hannity, Rove, O'Reilly, and many others have had the honor of having their own words prove beyond a doubt that they are complete and utter idiots.

Hats off to TDS because they have a team that will sit down and review old tapes to match them with the new.

Case in point:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...in-gender-card

I've never said the Daily Show never hits the mark. I've even put up clips from it I thought others would enjoy. My beef is biggest with the Colbert Report but the real issue with both of them though is that they are one note songs and eventually that is damaging. Stewart himself specifically asked that when a show becomes damaging that it stop. So that is is why I call him out on that. I used Carlin as a good example of something gone too far. Saying all families have quirks and isn't it funny to laugh at the commonality of those quirks is good fun. To say fuck all families and if they all died and disappeared tomorrow nothing would be worse off isn't comedy, it is morose.

I forget if I posted the clip or not but the best recent example was Stewart was making fun of someone in the Senate trying to explain the concept of a trillion dollars and how huge that happens to be. The person was doing so to try to bring some levity to the proceedings. Stewart just mocked him for trying to explain what a trillion happens to be. The person may have had a view attached to that explanation but that wasn't shown. It wasn't about how the money was spent, just about the fact that we were spending it and so it was mocked.

It wasn't funny. It was desperate. They needed something to fill the time that day so they just did damage to the process by making fun of someone trying to bring about understanding. That sucks and hurts us as a country and community. It is exactly what he told Crossfire to stop doing.

When people would rather snicker that a trillion dollars is a blanket that can cover Jupiter because they don't want to think about how it should be spent, that is damaging. It should stop. Lastly Stewart is straddling some lines here that didn't start quite that way. His show originally looked like a talk show making fun of the news. Over the years the set has keep changing and it now appears more and more like an actual news show yet he uses the defense that he isn't a journalist and so he can't be viewed the same way. When you take on the airs, you take on the criticism and Stewart, in my opinion has lost his shield. Carlin may be philosophizing with a microphone but you aren't going to mistake him for something he isn't.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #60 of 124
Death by moron Has anonymous commenting destroyed meaningful online dialogue? Oh, hell yes

Quote:
Here is my strange confession: I miss my hate mail.

...

So, what happened? Where has all the hate gone? One easy explanation: the merciful EoB, the End of Bush. The extraordinary failure of the neocon mindset means that the most troglodytic of the haters have now retreated to the Caves of Ignorance to lick their wounds and fellate each other in assorted airport restrooms. Good news all around.

But that's only a small part of it. Something else is afoot, something more nefarious and curious and, well, downright sad. Fact is, despite the steadily increasing traffic to my column over the years, I now get far less email overall than I used to, either positive or negative.

You already know the reason: Anonymous commenting. Those semi-public forums like the one you see right down there, at the bottom of this very column, those "community" discussion areas borne of the blogosphere and spread to every media site imaginable, from SFGate to the New York Times to YouTube to Knitting World. Indeed, they're one of the most popular, widely used innovations of the Web 2.0 revolution, and they've dramatically transformed public communication and conversation.

For the worse. Oh, for the far, far worse.
post #61 of 124
A sketch comedy show made up fictional events that aren't real? I'm SHOCKED I tell you. Shocked
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #62 of 124
On another note. Trumpt, haven't you analogized Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter to people like Jon Stewart a number of times when Rush or Ann or someone has said something kinda crazy?

Don't you think it would be awfully easy to create the equivalent thread declaring, "Redstate and Powerline Kids admit, only Rush and Ann give us the straight dope!"

Additionally, do you think snarky back and forth between like-minded people really represents the entirety of their thinking? Do you really think they get all (or even some large portion) of their news content from the daily show? Do you think they are serious about everything they write?

Going back and forth trading crazy-ass message board comments between liberal and conservative websites and blogs would seem like the height of pointlessness to me.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #63 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The clip I linked to on SNL, it is mocking events that NEVER HAPPENED. Do you get that? There is nothing they are exaggerating.

The majority of any dramatic or comedic performances ARE made up, but they can be based on facts, relative events or occurrences, even rumor.

The republicans have been making asses of themselves much more than lately, so SNL took the initiative (and their artistic license) to make a SATIRE of this.

My prediction? Next weekend SNL will do a sketch on McCain titled "Get Off What Should Be My Lawn!" blending the elements from the news and Clint Eastwood's "Grand Torino".

Mark my words.
post #64 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

On another note. Trumpt, haven't you analogized Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter to people like Jon Stewart a number of times when Rush or Ann or someone has said something kinda crazy?

Yes I consider Limbaugh, Coulter, Colbert, Stewart, Maher and Franken (when he wasn't running for Senate) to all be in the same current events/comedy camp.

Quote:
Don't you think it would be awfully easy to create the equivalent thread declaring, "Redstate and Powerline Kids admit, only Rush and Ann give us the straight dope!"

I'd be more than happy to have you draw that equivalence. I'm sure you think anyone who reads Coulter or listens to Limbaugh to be an uninformed, hateful, thoughtless and clueless moron. If you want to draw that both ways that is fine with me.

Also the thread isn't about being informed, rather seeking to have someone preemptively ridiculed so they can be tossed from the public arena of ideas. I'm not begrudging comedians their material and no matter what, I would never censor them. I'm simply saying that when you straddle such a line you have to really look and make sure you have those feet planted on both sides. Last I checked Limbaugh and Coulter weren't running for Senate. If you were to watch video of Limbaugh or listen to his radio show, I don't think anyone would, on appearances have to question if it were a legitimate news show or not.

Quote:
Additionally, do you think snarky back and forth between like-minded people really represents the entirety of their thinking? Do you really think they get all (or even some large portion) of their news content from the daily show? Do you think they are serious about everything they write?

Going back and forth trading crazy-ass message board comments between liberal and conservative websites and blogs would seem like the height of pointlessness to me.

I'm not saying it represents the entirety of their thinking but when it begins to or they show signs of it becoming that way, it ought to be questioned, never silenced, never censored, just questioned. If someone were getting their news exclusively from one of these sources or preferred the caricature to the source, that isn't a good trend. It is like when a glass of wine becomes two bottles of wine after dinner each night. Moderation is good.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #65 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'd be more than happy to have you draw that equivalence. I'm sure you think anyone who reads Coulter or listens to Limbaugh to be an uninformed, hateful, thoughtless and clueless moron.

I don't. I find it fascinating that you think I do.

Quote:
I'm not saying it represents the entirety of their thinking but when it begins to or they show signs of it becoming that way, it ought to be questioned, never silenced, never censored, just questioned. If someone were getting their news exclusively from one of these sources or preferred the caricature to the source, that isn't a good trend. It is like when a glass of wine becomes two bottles of wine after dinner each night. Moderation is good.

Again, then we should go cull all the crazy-ass shit off redstate and powerline and question them too. But, again, I submit it is the height of pointlessness, as we cannot get inside their head and discern the breadth and depth of their news consumption from postings on powerline or kos.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #66 of 124
post #67 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I don't. I find it fascinating that you think I do.



Again, then we should go cull all the crazy-ass shit off redstate and powerline and question them too. But, again, I submit it is the height of pointlessness, as we cannot get inside their head and discern the breadth and depth of their news consumption from postings on powerline or kos.

We don't to go inside their heads and guess. Their words and thus thoughts are plain to see. They typed them out and I quoted them. The premise of the thread and follow-ups have been people saying what amounts to "Why do we have to engage them, can't someone Palin-ize them so they will be laughed at and go away?"

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #68 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

We don't to go inside their heads and guess. Their words and thus thoughts are plain to see. They typed them out and I quoted them. The premise of the thread and follow-ups have been people saying what amounts to "Why do we have to engage them, can't someone Palin-ize them so they will be laughed at and go away?"


Sweet. Then I guess I'll just repeat myself and we can see how many times we can go around in a circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

don't you think it would be awfully easy to create the equivalent thread declaring, "Redstate and Powerline Kids admit, only Rush and Ann give us the straight dope!"

Additionally, do you think snarky back and forth between like-minded people really represents the entirety of their thinking? Do you really think they get all (or even some large portion) of their news content from the daily show? Do you think they are serious about everything they write?

Going back and forth trading crazy-ass message board comments between liberal and conservative websites and blogs would seem like the height of pointlessness to me.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #69 of 124
Wait for a few more months for the daily show and colbert report to start picking on Obama and the democrats.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #70 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


No we have new leadership, we are returning to our values with opposing more spending, the party is starting to grow a spine again.

Spine? Wait, is this the same Republican party that apologized to Rush Limbaugh?

Who's actually running things over there?

(FWIW, I'm a former Republican voter who went registered Independent after they tore up the Contract with America, went NeoCON and the Chimp got elected the first time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Wait for a few more months for the daily show and colbert report to start picking on Obama and the democrats.

Seconded, the 'new President smell' hasn't worn off yet. Just wait...
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #71 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

A few on here, love to discuss the nature of the ideas in my brain and where they come from. The most hilarious part about this discussion is how the conclusions are diametrically opposed and also "not mainstream" no matter how contradictory those conclusions. So we end up with wonderful reasoning like this...

Trumptman, you're the only guy thinking this and the majority doesn't think that way at all. You're isolated, alone, and the bubble you reside within is slowly killing your delusional state as it shrinks down on you. Even if someone can be linked to that has the same idea, that is just because you are part of some grand (but isolated and minority) right wing conspiracy that is just taking talking points and trying to create new memes to push into the discussion (that you aren't a part of since no one thinks like this and we really swear, you're an isolated minority that no one listens to at all)

One of those ideas I have postulated and put out there is the fact that the mainstream media prefers analysis as opposed to just reporting news, and secondly that news shows increasingly either show clips of comedy shows like "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" as something to "react" against or as just a segment now to fill the remaining amount of program time that they have where they don't want to report news or engage in analysis but still want to shape opinion.

Seems some of the Kos Kids have noticed it too.

The heretical view expressed in the article is that SATIRE is the tool du jour and that someone gets that it is being used for a purpose and very effectively to caricature Republican opposition so you don't have to engage it.



Recall? I can't possible recall such a thing. It didn't happen I am told. That was just part of "the bubble." "Everyone knows" that Palin was never popular and was just an idiot from day one as revealed by her very selection which also revealed McCain as an idiot. Sure Biden, the gaffe machine, Richardson the grand jury magnet and the "back tax" cabinet are all just "innocent mistakes" but everyone outside the bubble understands that just fine and knows Obama is wise and good for picking them all and the country is better for it too.

Also that list looks awfully familiar. It appears to be the very same list that folks like myself put forward as part of our evil "meme" about how turning everything into a joke instead of engaging in a discussion of ideas harms the country and is certainly not "hope", "change", "historical" or "different."

How is this possible? How is there room inside my bubble for... the Kos Kids?

When Trumptman and the Kos Kids see the same thing... perhaps it is actually just.... REALITY and although each would note the means and purposes of that reality and how it is being used for and against their respective view, it would still be objectively true that this is happening.

That can't possibly be true. That would mean the bubble doesn't exist.

Some will be so sad to hear that. It might poke a hole in their own attempts to caricature.



I think there there is some validity to what you're saying. But it is hopelessly entangled in what appears to be a belligerent and self-centered manner of interacting with the world.
post #72 of 124
This is one of the more entertaining, hilarious threads I have read in some time. Bravo, trumptman (and participants). Bravo.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #73 of 124
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I wish we could have a nice counter noting how SNL, the Daily Show and Colbert Report still can't seem to find Obama funny yet. They'll use him in the skit against someone but he has yet to be the butt of the joke.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #74 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Thanks. I wish we could have a nice counter noting how SNL, the Daily Show and Colbert Report still can't seem to find Obama funny yet. They'll use him in the skit against someone but he has yet to be the butt of the joke.

Dude, did you not see the opening of last week's show?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #75 of 124
Thread Starter 
I absolutely did.

I'll be happy to hear how they were making fun of Obama and not the bailout and various companies.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #76 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I absolutely did.

I'll be happy to hear how they were making fun of Obama and not the bailout and various companies.

The first item was about him and how they " Loved him in europe ".

I mean what do you want? He's no George W Bush after all!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #77 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The first item was about him and how they " Loved him in europe ".

I mean what do you want? He's no George W Bush after all!

I want SNL and similar shows to make fun of the president. Is that too much to ask?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #78 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I absolutely did.

I'll be happy to hear how they were making fun of Obama and not the bailout and various companies.


Making fun of the bailout isn't making fun of the Obama administration?

Although I don't know why I bothered replying, since the targets or non-targets of comedians is completely pointless, other than it is in some way that's not clear feeding into allegations about the "liberal media" and some such.

Although the distinction you apparently made between Obama and the Obama administration is interesting. Is it your contention they need to make fun of Obama, the individual, specifically? If so, why don't the fake big ears qualify? I'd say that's poking fun at an individual level. How often must this happen to fulfill this obligation?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #79 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Making fun of the bailout isn't making fun of the Obama administration?

Although I don't know why I bothered replying, since the targets or non-targets of comedians is completely pointless, other than it is in some way that's not clear feeding into allegations about the "liberal media" and some such.

Although the distinction you apparently made between Obama and the Obama administration is interesting. Is it your contention they need to make fun of Obama, the individual, specifically? If so, why don't the fake big ears qualify? I'd say that's poking fun at an individual level. How often must this happen to fulfill this obligation?

Don't forget, George W. Bush got us started on this "Bailout Bonanza". Making fun of the bailout could just as easily been another jab at him.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #80 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Don't forget, George W. Bush got us started on this "Bailout Bonanza". Making fun of the bailout could just as easily been another jab at him.

Yes, the entire skit was Obama talking, and George Bush was never mentioned. Clearly, this skit was all about Bush.......
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!