or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies! - Page 3

post #81 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The first item was about him and how they " Loved him in europe ".

I mean what do you want? He's no George W Bush after all!

Yes, telling everyone you went over great and not having anyone else mock that as untrue or not having it be sarcastic is just... so funny. /not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Making fun of the bailout isn't making fun of the Obama administration?

Although I don't know why I bothered replying, since the targets or non-targets of comedians is completely pointless, other than it is in some way that's not clear feeding into allegations about the "liberal media" and some such.

Although the distinction you apparently made between Obama and the Obama administration is interesting. Is it your contention they need to make fun of Obama, the individual, specifically? If so, why don't the fake big ears qualify? I'd say that's poking fun at an individual level. How often must this happen to fulfill this obligation?

Well the skit itself wasn't very funny no matter who was the target and that is probably because, as I said, they were trying to include Obama, but wouldn't let him be laughed at or about. The target was clearly the companies and people in the audience were unclear as to why they should laugh at the winners and losers and so must simply didn't laugh.

You're right that I do draw a line between the two and I find it even more interesting that they find it so hard to even include most elements of the administration. I mean Joe Biden has given up dozens of bits so far.

I mean how hard would it have been to even do something about all the tax cheats that have landed in the administration or jumped out of running because of that. This stuff isn't hard, unless you're biased.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #82 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I mean how hard would it have been to even do something about all the tax cheats that have landed in the administration or jumped out of running because of that. This stuff isn't hard, unless you're biased.

They did have an entire skit aimed directly at Tim Geither and the administration as floundering and not knowing what to do (http://www.hulu.com/watch/61235/satu...hner-cold-open) At any rate, I don't see enough of SNL (I usually fall asleep after the opening) or any of these to assess their levels of poking fun at the administration, but I still fail to see why anyone should give a flying fuck about comedians or late-night comedy being biased. Frankly, it's a really odd thing to latch onto. Are you arguing they shouldn't be, that they have some obligation to make fun of both parties equally, that they should be subject to some kind of fairness doctrine?

I really don't give a shit if they're all in the tank of Obama, and I conversely wouldn't give a shit if they were all in tank for Newt Gingrich. I sure as hell don't give a flying fuck about talk-radio being dominated by conservative commentators.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #83 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

They did have an entire skit aimed directly at Tim Geither and the administration as floundering and not knowing what to do (http://www.hulu.com/watch/61235/satu...hner-cold-open)

Thanks for the link. It is appreciated.

Quote:
At any rate, I don't see enough of SNL (I usually fall asleep after the opening) or any of these to assess their levels of poking fun at the administration, but I still fail to see why anyone should give a flying fuck about comedians or late-night comedy being biased. Frankly, it's a really odd thing to latch onto. Are you arguing they shouldn't be, that they have some obligation to make fun of both parties equally, that they should be subject to some kind of fairness doctrine?

I really don't give a shit if they're all in the tank of Obama, and I conversely wouldn't give a shit if they were all in tank for Newt Gingrich. I sure as hell don't give a flying fuck about talk-radio being dominated by conservative commentators.

The bias itself doesn't bother me at all. Everyone and everything has bias. The problem is the lies covering that bias. Look if Stewart or someone simply said, "Listen, I'm in the tank for Obama so of course my skits are going to rip the shit out of Republicans." That would actually be just fine with me.

The problem is that they don't say that they say "Obama just isn't funny. There is nothing to mock about him."

That to me stinks of bullshit and so I have to call it out for what it happens to be.

Additionally though, as I've noted there is now a desire to see people mocked so they DON'T have to be engaged. If people understand where that is coming from, that is also just fine with me. So as an example if someone (like Arianna Huffington) dreams of or begs Stewart to interview someone knowing it won't be an interview but really a partisan roasting, that is all good and well. It is this crap about how Stewart claims to be following sock puppets making crank calls but really is the journalist we all wish we had for this generation that is nonsense. These guys are what they are and that is comedians mocking other people. They can't be taken seriously.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #84 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

These guys are what they are and that is comedians mocking other people. They can't be taken seriously.

Well then we agree.

You seem to think a great number of people, I guess the "kos kids" DO take them seriously, but I really doubt that. When people make comments about how Jon Stewart seems to have more journalistic chops than cable news, the point being made is that cable news sucks, not that Jon Stewart is a real journalist that they take seriously as a journalist.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #85 of 124
The GOP has Rush and had Rove working on schemes to marginalize political opponents, but it didn't involve humor. Now it appears the DEMs have found an unique attack vector.

I guess if you're one who lets others form their opinions then there may be problems, but it's not something I really care about.

Then too, I quit watching SNL after the first season or so, and have never watched any commedy central "news" skits.

If you want to gain popularity and win in the polls then position yourself to faithfully represent the largest demographic. There are places for those who represent other ideologies, but they won't win elections - they do, however, have political clout by throwing their support behind the party who adopts their concerns.

If the GOP would stop focusing on representing folks of faith and start focusing on representing US citizens, that would go a long way towards improving their chances at winning future elections.
post #86 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well then we agree.

You seem to think a great number of people, I guess the "kos kids" DO take them seriously, but I really doubt that. When people make comments about how Jon Stewart seems to have more journalistic chops than cable news, the point being made is that cable news sucks, not that Jon Stewart is a real journalist that they take seriously as a journalist.

Well we are also in agreement that not only cable news, but the majority of news sucks.

Stewart straddles a line. I don't begrudge him it. It is the same line that Coulter, Maher and so many others straddle now. I enjoy the interplay so I would never stop it and whether it is against my view or for it, I enjoy the intellence that goes into the jokes.

That said, when Stewart takes off the clown make-up, and goes after someone, I'm not going to call him a clown and it isn't an appropriate defense.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #87 of 124
Why the hell was this thread bumped? Oh, yeah. So a certain phony could toss a political arsonist's salad.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #88 of 124
Does anyone else find Coulter utterly annoying? Kinda hot, though.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #89 of 124
Uttely annoying, and pretty damn ugly IMO.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #90 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

The GOP has Rush and had Rove working on schemes to marginalize political opponents, but it didn't involve humor. Now it appears the DEMs have found an unique attack vector.

I guess if you're one who lets others form their opinions then there may be problems, but it's not something I really care about.

Then too, I quit watching SNL after the first season or so, and have never watched any commedy central "news" skits.

If you want to gain popularity and win in the polls then position yourself to faithfully represent the largest demographic. There are places for those who represent other ideologies, but they won't win elections - they do, however, have political clout by throwing their support behind the party who adopts their concerns.

If the GOP would stop focusing on representing folks of faith and start focusing on representing US citizens, that would go a long way towards improving their chances at winning future elections.

I'm pretty sure Rush and company do involve humor but that certain folks just don't find it funny. The difference though is that Limbaugh does not attempt to claim he should be above criticism since he it is humor and additional does not attempt to lord from on high claiming objectivity.

I agree with what you say in principle about gaining popularity, but reality says that the differences are really only a few percentage points. I mean Obama won but what... seven points which is considered huge. You swing four of that and McCain wins by one. Four percent from a huge win becomes a complete reversal.

Also the reality is we all know that a good chunk of the middle really doesn't pay attention until the shit hits the fan and just votes in the opposite of whoever has power now. There isn't thought behind it. There is already a fair amount of talk about the lack of Obama coat tails for the midterms because so far he hasn't been able to turn out or turn up much support beyond himself getting elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Why the hell was this thread bumped? Oh, yeah. So a certain phony could toss a political arsonist's salad.

Using salad tossing as an insult. You are quite the homophobe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Does anyone else find Coulter utterly annoying? Kinda hot, though.

The thing I like best about Coulter is how she is completely unapologetic in her interviews. According to most of the reviews I read she is also witty enough to hold her own with Bill Maher and to me that says something.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #91 of 124
Thread Starter 
I can't. I've run out of salad and Prince pictures.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #92 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Using salad tossing as an insult. You are quite the homophobe!

What are you talking bout? Heterosexuals toss salads too.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #93 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

What are you talking bout? Heterosexuals toss salads too.

You can keep living in denial Flounder, but I'll always treasure what we have.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #94 of 124
So we don't get to see the post that got the offender banned huh?

We can't say feed a poster or give kudos to the moderator.

I would at least hope the poster who called another member a homophobe got billed.
post #95 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

So we don't get to see the post that got the offender banned huh?

We can't say feed a poster or give kudos to the moderator.

I would at least hope the poster who called another member a homophobe got billed.

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I did read the rules and I'm pretty sure calling out the moderators isn't a good idea.

Just a "heads up".

Edited to ad exceprt from PO guidelines:

Quote:
"2. Attacks against anyone NOT a member of AI, including AI itself, are allowed. However, posting or discussion of forum moderation, except in threads set up for that purpose, will be unceremoniously removed."

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #96 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I did read the rules and I'm pretty sure calling out the moderators isn't a good idea.

Just a "heads up".

Edited to ad exceprt from PO guidelines:

Well sslarson, now that you've grown a pair, you know who caused the strict guidelines to be implemented.

The same guy who started a thread with a lie as a so called experiment causing even the nicest god loving poster anger, created a blog to defame another poster, spammed the forum relentlessly, left the forum and had his posts hidden claiming he wasn't understood and being called names, and is now back causing some, without giving a crap, to post comments that get them banned.
post #97 of 124
And now this place sucks.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #98 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

And now this place sucks.

Quit replying to at least one member and maybe in a while, ....
post #99 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Quit replying to at least one member and maybe in a while, ....

You're right. I'm just so irked by all these conservatives screaming about stupid bullshit that's based in ZERO facts and all their hypocritical garbage.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #100 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

You're right. I'm just so irked by all these conservatives screaming about stupid bullshit that's based in ZERO facts and all their hypocritical garbage.

There ya go, pass it along.
post #101 of 124
Just let it all out, man. We're here for you.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #102 of 124
Thread Starter 
Don't worry Northgate, the press is covering the hard news and is on the trail. Soon the Obama's will get their dog because the press is all over them!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #103 of 124
Rest assured, the media is hard at work exposing injustice wherever it may be found.

This is the lead story on my local newspaper's website: No Honorary Degree for Obama from ASU

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #104 of 124
Thread Starter 
RCP

Quote:
Anyone with the slightest clue and the vaguest sense of reality knows that Mr. Stewart is likewise carrying presidential water, but does so slyly, less honestly and under the comedian's cloak of having no sacred cows.

If only that were the case.

Andrew Breitbart nails it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #105 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

RCP



Andrew Breitbart nails it.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw water buckets.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #106 of 124
For political comedians, the joke's not on Obama

Quote:
Jon Stewart of "The Daily Show," another erstwhile scourge of presidential foibles during the Bush years, has morphed into a political loyalist, rising to the defense of Mr. Obama with angry rants against critics of the president such as CNBC's Jim Cramer and Internet news aggregator (and Washington Times columnist) Andrew Breitbart.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #107 of 124
Quote:

Bush was the gift that kept on giving.

No respect, no holding back.

Pretty simple concept for a comedian.

Dixie Chicks forever.
post #108 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Yes but the joke IS on everyone who thinks that thinking minds cannot see the bias.

Good find Jazz.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #109 of 124
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I found this funny. If the Onion is picking up on this, then perhaps it's real.
post #110 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I found this funny. If the Onion is picking up on this, then perhaps it's real.

I'm outraged.
Outraged I tell ya.
post #111 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I found this funny. If the Onion is picking up on this, then perhaps it's real.

Nice!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #112 of 124
BREAKING NEWS: Obama, Biden wait in line to buy hamburgers

More as it develops.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #113 of 124
Really, how hard is it to poke fun at Obama or Biden? Heck, if you're tactful about it you can appeal to people on both sides of the aisle.

Off the top of my head:

Vice President Biden's done a pretty good job so far as the Veep...I mean, he hasn't shot anyone in the face yet. <laughter> Although he has shot himself in the foot numerous times! <laughter>

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #114 of 124
Letterman gets Cheney:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_196639.html

Video (would link to the original but I couldn't get it to work here in Japan)

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #115 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Vice President Biden's done a pretty good job so far as the Veep...I mean, he hasn't shot anyone in the face yet. <laughter> Although he has shot himself in the foot numerous times! <laughter>

Needs work, maybe the VP needs coaching, but then it wouldn't really be real then would it.
post #116 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

BREAKING NEWS: Obama, Biden wait in line to buy hamburgers

More as it develops.

Quote:
ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - It's like this: When you want a burger, you have to have a burger. In this state of mind, President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden took a shortbut wholly noticeablemotorcade ride from the White House to Virginia and pulled into a small, independent burger joint called Ray's Hell Burger.

Ray's Hell Burger?

OMG - they're Satan Worshippers!!!!
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #117 of 124
Thread Starter 
FormerLurker just came up with more quips about Obama than all the late night shows combined in the last 16 months!

They need to hire him. It would stimulate the economy.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #118 of 124
Above.
Don't think he gets it.
post #119 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Above.
Don't think he gets it.

One guy was a frap, err frat, boy. Always with the stupidest shit eating looks/grins on his face. English was his 2nd language, even though he didn't have a 2nd language.

His VP was a cross between The Penguin and Dr. Strangelove.

Now we have two outwardly intellectual people in office. Go figure.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #120 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Above.
Don't think he gets it.

I can see the headlines on Fox already and the posters at the next Fox News Tea Party.

How did they miss that one? They've called him everything else in the book.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kos Kids Admit, we lose the ideas but not the funnies!