or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued four times in two weeks over iPhone 3G speeds

Apple sued four times in two weeks over iPhone 3G speeds - Page 3

post #81 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

But your answer is Apple would sell a TON of iPhone/Camera, Music downloading/email retrieving/game playing devices, if they could be sold by other carriers.

And the corollary to that answer is... Apple may very well make less money if they did so, because the carriers which are now willing to pay Apple over $600 per device compared to the market price of around $200 for the iPod Touch. The primary difference between those two devices, from an economic standpoint, is that a service is provided through the iPhone which can be locked to a certain provider. Without that ability, carriers would be willing to pay far less of a subsidy.

We can all agree, I'm sure, that Apple did consider the option of not having exclusive contracts, am I correct? While we all can sit here and fudge numbers all we like, can we also agree that Apple had access to data of greatly higher quality which led them to the conclusion that doing it the way they have done it was the best way to maximize expected profits.

Looking back at the results of Apple's decisions, it is hard to imagine that Apple is regretting them. Certain users who prefer Verizon or whatever other carrier they use definitely regret those decisions, but not Apple. Remember, many of the decisions were made when Apple did not have a strong bargaining position. While the device may have been nearly complete, Apple was a new entrant to the phone business and it likely took some very crafty bargaining to get as good of a deal out of ATT as they did, even though now looking back it might look like ATT got a great deal out of it as well.

That's economics. If you think Apple should have sold the device to everyone instead of just ATT or Rogers or whomever, no one is stopping you from creating your own godphone and selling it on the cheap
post #82 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Again, funny how they achieved these results, but 98% of owners who own the phone complain about it. Seems fishy to me no?

In real world life the phone does not meet or exceed the claims Apple publishes.... TWICE AS FAST!

I find it difficult to understand how you consider Apple's advertising a lie but then make a statement like your 98% without expecting to be called a liar. Bit of a double standard, no?
post #83 of 94
Quote:

Again, funny how they achieved these results, but 98% of owners who own the phone complain about it. Seems fishy to me no?

In real world life the phone does not meet or exceed the claims Apple publishes.... TWICE AS FAST!

Hmmm. I know quite a few iPhone owners who would dispute what you are saying. 0% of the owners I know (about 10) have complained.

So maybe you know a lot of complainers?
post #84 of 94
Quote:

This will work. They'll get millions … yeah right.

I haven't been very successful in my suit against Toyota. My Avalon doesn't go anywhere near as fast as they say it can go. I've tried several times to get it to go that fast, and every time I get over 100 MPH, a cop stops me, so I don't know how fast it will really go

And my other lawsuit against my cable company isn't going well either. Seems that when ever I go online my Mac slows down after 6,000 neighbors decide to get online at the same time.

Skip

The real question is, Your Toyota speedometer pegs at 140 but the motor cuts off at 105 (which most cars do, But I don't know from experience ) could you sue them for fraud? that is really the case here, if ATT capped it in the network, it is atts fault, but if Apple capped the modem firmware, and subsequently changed the cap in firmware, it is apples fault.

Also, I must say, my experience iphone 3g met the claim, i was getting about 200k on the edge phone, I got about 500 on 3g at day0 and now get between 768k and 1200k
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Do you think all the stuff you saw in the Super Bowl ads were real?

What!!??#?!?!

You mean my wife's lips won't fall out if I slam on the brakes? I spent all that money on ceramic rotors and vented disks for nothing?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #86 of 94
Quote:

No I like my iPhone. I don't like how they lied and lured me in with twice as fast.

Apple lied, really?

I got about 300kbps with my iPhone 1st Gen on EDGE.

My iPhone 3G gets 1.75MBps (which is more than 3 times faster than my 1st gen). On Wi-Fi over my broadband connection I've got 9.06MBps and I'm sure the phone can do faster.
post #87 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

So consumers are just supposed to go about their business and pay no attention to the quality of the products that they buy?

It's called holding the company accountable. Just as if the government decided it was going to take an extra 5% from your pay check just because they feel like it. You would be screaming and yelling about that.

When you don't hold companies accountable for their actions, the consumers are the ones that get screwed. First it's a crack, then down the line it's a screen or a battery.

You don't feel a crack in your phone is important enough to make a big deal out of it. Congratulations, you're an individual. Thousands of other people would prefer that moisture doesn't leak into their phone through cracks.

When Apple sends out compensation checks, you can send yours back.

THAT is life.

That's a bunch of bull, and it doesn't apply. You don't have the option to not pay taxes. You do, however, have the option to NOT buy the iPhone. There are other smart phones out there.

Stuff breaks and cracks. What should you do? Return it, get your money back, get a new phone, and stop complaining and gumming up the legal system.

It's people thinking this way, feeling entitled to every little thing, that is causing a HUGE backup in the courts system.
post #88 of 94
Quote:

This will work. They'll get millions yeah right.

I haven't been very successful in my suit against Toyota. My Avalon doesn't go anywhere near as fast as they say it can go. I've tried several times to get it to go that fast, and every time I get over 100 MPH, a cop stops me, so I don't know how fast it will really go

And my other lawsuit against my cable company isn't going well either. Seems that when ever I go online my Mac slows down after 6,000 neighbors decide to get online at the same time.

Skip

Well Toyota never claimed that the new avalon is as fast as their previous Model. This is kinda of a silly comparison.

Cable - They advertise their service as upto XX speed. No cable company guarantees a speed.

The point you missed here is that alot of people struggle to get 3G, so using your cable example, its like ordering cable and being told that in your area you will have to use the 56K modem....while and that cable will be rolled out sometime in the future.

Apples claim that Iphone 3G was twice as fast was just BS. I live in London and most of the time i get good reception but quite often it drops down to edge, heck i accept that, but i never trusted the advertising, that is one thing i have learned about apple in the last 15 years, their advertising is top notch....not necessarily correct, but top notch.
post #89 of 94
This issue is really a waste of time.

People forget that this was a whole new thing for both Apple and AT&T.

When we first got our 3G's in August, 3G reception in SOME areas was slow. In our home, of all places, there were problems. It wasn't that fast, though more than noticeably faster than EDGE, and would drop out regularly. Even EDGE would sometimes drop out. Our home is an old one, built in 1925, and has a metal mesh under the plaster of the walls and ceilings, so that wasn't helping.

But then, suddenly, about two months ago, everything improved! Now, 3G is very fast, it never drops out, and everything is great.

So, what happened?

AT&T began to move its 3G service from 1900 MHz to the 850MHz band, and visa versa for EDGE.

Lower frequencies have better penetration, and longer distance reception. So 3G service got a whole lot better.

In fact, wherever I go lately, 3G service is much better.

People have to understand that this is a learning process for these companies.

Apple's only real problem is that they should have always said "under optimal conditions". That's a simple phrase that is often used to insure that some difficulty wouldn't leave them open in liability.

Unfortunately, Apple seems to be afraid to say that, though it's likely in the fine print, which none of us read.
post #90 of 94
Ridiculous

The jEsus Phone is capable of speeds such as X on Edge and Y on 3G and Z on Wifi... but what it really comes down to is the service provider. It is like having a 10/100/1000 ethernet port on your laptop and getting stuck on a 10/100 switch. OF COURSE the hardware is capable of being 10x faster, but the switch doesn't support it. ATT Sucks, and I dont like them, and when the network is saturated with iPhones all trying to connect at the same time, of course it will slow down. This is America we are wicked far behind the rest of the world with telecom tech...
post #91 of 94
Dear Apple lawyers,

I live in Australia where the first iPhone wasn't available, therefore it connection speed was zero.

I got an iPhone 3G and it is an infinite number of times faster.

My single infinite value when added to a statistical pool will skew the result to many times 'twice as fast'.

I will testify to this in a court of law.

Regards and hoping for a quick response

Mr Hopeful

P.S. Would you arrange for the courthouse to be near Disneyland, I will also need accomodation for my 'experts' (Wife and kids).
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #92 of 94
Quote:

But your answer is … Apple would sell a TON of iPhone/Camera, Music downloading/email retrieving/game playing devices, if they could be sold by other carriers.

Skip

Apple was given only one Telco, in the US, who agreed to their terms. They leveraged it with AT&T and was the first phone maker to ever have that leverage in the US Telcos.

Somehow, you think the sea will part and every other carrier is now contacting Apple to give them total control and Apple is telling them off?

Until Apple is no longer tied to AT&T, in the US, you won't see change in that area, if it is even being offered.

However, with the EU Apple doesn't have to negotiate that option, the courts did it for them and they can sell to competing carriers while retaining control of their system.
post #93 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I have had my iPhone 3G since it's release and sure it's had it's problems but the majority of those have been fixed, perhaps AT&T in the states is rubbish, here in the UK whilst at work I am enjoying a constant 3G signal with a tested 1.4mb connection.

I do live in the sticks and don't have it there, but that's what Wifi is for!

I would be worried about visiting America, I might get sued for not trying to sue someone else!

Amen to that! Imagine if people put as much time, money and effort into fighting for their rights in court instead of fighting for 3G speeds. What liberty we could have.

CarolinaLiberty.com
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
post #94 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

You seem to be baiting a response (also known as trolling) so you can ban people (also known as mod trolling).

Is that your intention?

Quote:

I'm sorry I missed the part where there's a time limit for editing posts to not be tried and judged by the mods. Is that 10 seconds - 20 seconds - or 30 seconds? I need to know because how will I ever type and edit responses without some kind of notice on how long I've got to change things before the Roman legions get the cross and nails ready?

Obviously this is of the utmost in importance to you so please let me know as soon as possible. I'll do bird calls through my meat-whistles in my hands to while away the time.

BTW is "snarky" inflammatory? I can't tell. Is this a mod-perk?

Quote:

I love how you warn before I'm done editing. Jump to conclusions much or is that your day job?

AND I SAID "DAY JOB" - NOT THE OTHER KIND OF JOB M'KAY?

(And while we're on the subject - "whore" is not a naughty word according to the FCC - want to see use of it from classical literature (dat's called a book! - it's full of wordz n-stuff - you can reed it tooo!)?)

1) You are having a rude argument with a mod.
2) You show no respect for anybody here at all.
3) You post many vulgarities and unwanted stuff here.
4) You are questioning the mod's rights = questioning the administrators.
5) Mods have their own life, not just to sit in front of their computer and argue with you.
6) You insult other members. Do that on MacRumors and you're banned immediately. You're lucky the mods here are kind and merciful.
7) You lie about your editing. Pretty obvious much, as you have to keep editing everything after a mod has done so.
8) You trying to say that mods troll more than YOU do? What a joke. Not.
9) You do not post anything useful , based on your 18 posts as seen in your profile.
10) I suggest you find another forum to rant on. Other mods might play with you on wordplay!

P.S: You spam emoticons. Never played with them before? Really laughable at.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued four times in two weeks over iPhone 3G speeds