or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook Air 'unibody' arrives with bend in frame.

MacBook Air 'unibody' arrives with bend in frame.

post #1 of 17
It's going back to Apple on Wednesday or Thursday. Don't believe the hype, these things are not as tough as you would imagine. Suffice to say; I would not like to drop mine, even with its SSD. At least they are going to address the issue anyway. Still, it's an annoyance. Now, I hope I can address the display calibration woes. Otherwise a wonderful computer. I can't wait for the day we have super-fast 320GB SSD with OLED displays in our lappies - at affordable prices.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #2 of 17
That's a shame, it's not a nice thing receiving broken goods. I didn't think the MBA felt very sturdy in store. The casing felt quite flimsy. This was unlike the unibody Macbook and Macbook Pro. Perhaps they just moulded it too thin to keep the weight down.

This is possibly where having a slate tablet would be an improvement as they could increase the strength of the back while keeping the weight round about the same.

If I were you, I'd cancel the order and get a Macbook instead. Sure it's 4.5lbs vs 3lbs but really, is 50% extra weight really going to kill the portability when from now on you'll probably want to put it in a hard carrying case to stop it getting damaged?

I actually don't think the MBA looks as nice as the MB either and it's harder to open due to the very thin edge at the front. Think of the pluses vs minuses:

You lose: optical drive, 2.5" hard drives and have to get 1.8" drives you can't upgrade, 1 x USB port, 1 x ethernet port, durability, on price as it's more expensive
You gain: 50% weight saving

If you really want the slim form factor and 3lbs weight that much there's no harm in it but I seriously think you should reconsider.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

If I were you, I'd cancel the order and get a Macbook instead. Sure it's 4.5lbs vs 3lbs but really, is 50% extra weight really going to kill the portability when from now on you'll probably want to put it in a hard carrying case to stop it getting damaged?

Well believe it or not 'one of' the main reasons I got the Air is the quality of the screens in the new MacBooks are so awful. The viewing angle is horrendous. Apple should be ashamed to be selling them for that price with such terrible screens. The other main reasons are thinness and weight, more so thinness though. I like the Air as is, I'm getting it replaced because if I ever try to sell it on, the bend will affect its resale value. I'm good with it.
post #4 of 17
My 1st MBA (v1) had a bad fan and was returned. The "replacement" had a tilted screen and I rejected it even after Apple said it was "normal".

My 3rd machine has worked flawlessly for months and gets carried almost daily. I find it sturdier than my older MacBook Pro 15".

I think the problem is at the factory; Apple's quality control isn't the hot lately. My local Apple sales rep has agreed to personally check any new machine I buy; I simply have had too many problems over the past few years. All along my company has been buying PC's and lots of other electronic gear without a single hardware issue. Apple really needs to get on this.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #5 of 17
I cringe each time Apple says they've reduced the size/volume of their packaging. Computers need protection, or anything else that has a hard disk drive, for that matter.

When you see UPS and FedEx drivers chucking your packages around their truck or when you see someone with a load on a pallet jack depress the pedal causing a rapid descent and THUNK on the floor, you know your stuff is being jostled in transit. Think about your Apple product's transit from China to the store then to you.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I cringe each time Apple says they've reduced the size/volume of their packaging. Computers need protection, or anything else that has a hard disk drive, for that matter.

The box wasn't even scratched. This looked like a factory *made* bend. The computer wasn't scratched either. It was an error during assembly/manufacturing. I used to work on a CNC machine, it looks like some guy dropped the part on a tough rubber foot-mat from a good height or something. Or it happen when the item wasn't seated correctly during fabrication. It happened somehow, but looking at it I doubt very much it was during transit. The bend wasn't "that" bad, but bad enough to want it to be gone.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister

I think the problem is at the factory; Apple's quality control isn't the hot lately. My local Apple sales rep has agreed to personally check any new machine I buy; I simply have had too many problems over the past few years. All along my company has been buying PC's and lots of other electronic gear without a single hardware issue. Apple really needs to get on this.

That story sucks. I'd bet you were pissed it took you three attempts to get it right. Factory policy changes are needed. Apple definitely needs to address this with its contracted plant. Whoever reviewed this item before it went out of the factory though "we'll get away with that". That isn't good enough. When I was on a CNC machine 10 years ago, at that place this level of quality would get your ass up to the office for a chat.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The box wasn't even scratched. This looked like a factory *made* bend. The computer wasn't scratched either. It was an error during assembly/manufacturing. I used to work on a CNC machine, it looks like some guy dropped the part on a tough rubber foot-mat from a good height or something. Or it happen when the item wasn't seated correctly during fabrication. It happened somehow, but looking at it I doubt very much it was during transit. The bend wasn't "that" bad, but bad enough to want it to be gone.

If it happened at the factory then QC should have caught it before software was loaded.
post #9 of 17
I think it would be great if Apple would invest some of their money in US factories. Put American's back to work. Sure Apple would have to spend a little money paying people more, but if they can have more control over what goes it then I'm for it.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #10 of 17
Quote:

Well believe it or not 'one of' the main reasons I got the Air is the quality of the screens in the new MacBooks are so awful. The viewing angle is horrendous. Apple should be ashamed to be selling them for that price with such terrible screens.

I didn't realise it was that bad:

http://gizmodo.com/5070723/screen-sh...vs-macbook-air

That's appalling quality for that price indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil

I cringe each time Apple says they've reduced the size/volume of their packaging.

I guess it's a consolation they don't mail the MBAs in manilla envelopes.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I didn't realise it was that bad:

http://gizmodo.com/5070723/screen-sh...vs-macbook-air

That's appalling quality for that price indeed.

Yeah totally. The experience isn't much better than that example you linked to in real life. The viewing angle is so minimal it seems you can't go even "slightly" off-direct. It's probably a bit more, but the viewing angle felt like about 1º. Which happens as you move around a little when you're using the computer. I tested the new MacBook out at my local PC World, that convinced me to buy the Air. I feel sad for those who can only afford the MacBook, or want a 13" Mac with a DVD slot built-in. It's sad on Apple's part. Heck, it's unacceptable if you ask me. If I could only afford a MacBook I'd buy a damn PC. Apple should be embarrassed by those displays. They shouldn't ship them!
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

If it happened at the factory then QC should have caught it before software was loaded.

My 2nd MBA had a titled screen (remember the iPod nano fiasco?". It passed QC at the factory. It was shipped to Japan and, upon agreement with my sales rep, checked by the repair center and it passed again. My sales rep then checked it himself and cleared it. He called my shop from Tokyo to have them ask me to be there when he came to deliver it. He was beaming that it was perfect.

I opened it up, punched the power button, waited a few seconds for the chime and, as soon as the screen first flicked on, noticed it was badly tilted, maybe 3° to the left, creating an eye-jarring set of intersecting lines with the frame. My wife and the shop sales guy saw it instantly, too.

It had been checked by Apple three times and cleared. Three people noticed instantly that it was not OK. Conclusion: something is wrong with Apple.

I still have my iPod nano with its tilted screen. Tried once to return it, but was told by a Genius that all of them had tilted screens of varying degrees of tilt!

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

My 1st MBA (v1) had a bad fan and was returned. The "replacement" had a tilted screen and I rejected it even after Apple said it was "normal".

My 3rd machine has worked flawlessly for months and gets carried almost daily. I find it sturdier than my older MacBook Pro 15".

I think the new Airs have a bit of a design flaw, more so with the 11 inch model. If you press on the front edge near the trackpad with even medium force, the entire frame bends. I check 4 different machines in the University St. Apple Store in Fort Worth and they ALL had play when pressure was applied. The 13 inchers also had some play, but not as much.

It is nearly a perfect machine for me (the 11 inch model), but the lack of structural integrity really made me rethink my purchase. Back to the iPad and Mac Mini for the time being.
post #14 of 17
Quote:

Yeah totally. The experience isn't much better than that example you linked to in real life. The viewing angle is so minimal it seems you can't go even "slightly" off-direct. It's probably a bit more, but the viewing angle felt like about 1º. Which happens as you move around a little when you're using the computer. I tested the new MacBook out at my local PC World, that convinced me to buy the Air. I feel sad for those who can only afford the MacBook, or want a 13" Mac with a DVD slot built-in. It's sad on Apple's part. Heck, it's unacceptable if you ask me. If I could only afford a MacBook I'd buy a damn PC. Apple should be embarrassed by those displays. They shouldn't ship them!

I have a black Macbook and I can confirm every word of your message. The viewing angle is simply horrendous. It is almost 3 years old now and at that time I would only disagree with the "buy a damn PC" part. But if today the Macbook display is more or less what it was 2-3 years ago, then I can understand what you say.

My wife's MBP 15" has a sooooo MUCH BETTER display. It is a pleasure to use it. Next Mac for me will rather be a big iMac after the Lion release.

The Macbook needs either to move seriously up in display quality or become a niche for schools/universities like the eMac was at some point.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

I have a black Macbook and I can confirm every word of your message. The viewing angle is simply horrendous. It is almost 3 years old now and at that time I would only disagree with the "buy a damn PC" part. But if today the Macbook display is more or less what it was 2-3 years ago, then I can understand what you say.

My wife's MBP 15" has a sooooo MUCH BETTER display. It is a pleasure to use it. Next Mac for me will rather be a big iMac after the Lion release.

The Macbook needs either to move seriously up in display quality or become a niche for schools/universities like the eMac was at some point.

Actually I have seen speculation that with the new Air at the $999 price point that the (terribly outdated at this point white plastic) MacBook is, in fact, fated to become the new eMac.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #16 of 17
What, no pictures? I am disappointed.

Some FedEx guy probably stomped on the poor thing.
post #17 of 17
You know, I do really think the MacBook Air is as sturdy as anything can possibly be within that form factor and dimensions. Where Aluminium is being used.

I'm no material scientist or engineer, but Apple is really pushing Aluminium to the very edge here, literally and figuratively.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook Air 'unibody' arrives with bend in frame.