or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook owners frustrated by new audio jacks

MacBook owners frustrated by new audio jacks - Page 2

post #41 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

To me, this seems like fertile ground for cognitive dissonance.

I don't understand why it's not a non-standard jack when most standard plugs don't fit into it without an adapter and added risk of damage that an unnecessary adapter entails.

The jack itself is standard, with respect to electrical connections. The housing around the jack was what prevented many plugs from fitting into it. Specs don't cover that.

No cognitive dissonance here, and I did say it was a stupid design.
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I don't see how that follows at all. The 1/8" audio jack has been a standard for over three decades. It stands to reason there would be a plethora of peripherals out there using it and it's incumbent on any manufacturer to ensure their jack works with those existing devices. It's a case of lighting a candle vs. cursing the darkness. I fear Apple has chosen the latter instead of the former, leaving its customers in limbo.

I don't know what the heck you are talking about here.

My point was that out of a group of plugs that all seem on visual inspection to be "standard" plugs, if the socket correctly captures some plugs but other plugs still have some "play" in them after being captured, that it's far more likely that the plugs with the "play" are under-designed for the socket. If the socket itself were under-designed, then it would successfully capture the ones that now show some "play" and the other plugs would not be captured, or not fit at all.

Nothing is certain at this point, but it seems far more likely that Apple's plugs are precisely designed to the spec and that the other plugs are slightly smaller (by microns), or slightly misshaped (rounded edges), and thus after capture still have that "play." This is typical Apple to make their plug have tolerances that are smaller than average, but technically it would still be a case of them sticking to the spec more exactly than the others so it's kind of hard to fault them for it. Generally speaking Apple's customers are picky perfectionists that actually *want* the plugs to be designed with tight adherence to the spec.

Not sure what the candle comment is about at all unless you are suggesting that they make a crappy socket to match all the crappy plugs out there.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #43 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

OSX anyone? Not that compatible with os9. And "classic" was a farce... so few applications worked when they were needed.

and for the record, Microsoft has compatibility options that work well back to programs from 98. Of course, that makes for a BLOATED OS that has a lot of problems... but that isn't the point. your statement is incredibly off-base.

What a load of crap, technology is about the now and tomorrow. Not the yesterday and last century. Who cares if crap isnt backward compatible, This isnt just Apple, or Microsoft. Its any good electronics company. New products arent there to support products of yesterday they are here to support the products of tomorrow. Thats how products move foward. Really for all the pain people are giving themselves with this headphone issue they could just buy a new compatible pair of Apple In Ear and live happily ever after. Apple is what I see as A perfectly closed Technological Ecosystem made to grow for tomorow not preserve for today. Both in the consumer spending aspect, and in the operations aspect of the business. If you dont like that maybe you need to buy different products.but personaly that is what I like about this company. But seriously whoever is concerned with crap dating over a decade old deserves to go back under their rock, and give apple, microsoft, and all other electronic companies trying to push new things out the door a break because thats the world today. and I embrace that fully
post #44 of 82
You think that's bad? The iPhone headphones don't fit correctly into the MacBook Air headphone port. They work, don't get me wrong, but they don't go in flush, the door's lip is in the way slightly. An embarrassing oversight. I never liked the idea of that door anyway. A lot of those 3rd party 3G Internet dangles can't plug directly in, you need to carry around a stupid Apple adapter that will cost you money, and inconvenience. Like I said, I got the Air cause it's thin and light, most of its faults were simply bad design. A MacBook was out of the question for me; the screens on those 13" MacBooks are awful.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Actually, the original iPhone jack did adhere to the spec. The problem was that the spec does not cover the plastic bit, just the plug itself.

It would probably be fairer in that case to describe the plugs with the giant plastic housing that would not fit into the iPhone as "non-standard" than it would be to describe Apple's plugs as such even though as I said, I don't think the spec covers the housing.

I agree that such slight variations from the spec are pretty common though and Apple could be faulted for not making allowances for that.

The earphones didn't work with the iPhone and it required an adapter. That is non standard.

I don't give a shit if it's the phone or the plug I still had to buy an adapter.
post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

FUCK YEAH.....My 100th Post.

CHEERS EVERYONE!!!!

Well done, you're a legend.
post #47 of 82
I routinely connect both an older MacBook and a new unibody MacBook to my stereo via a standard 1/8" phone jack and I've never noticed anything unusual with either.
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I have a Late '08 MBP and have used it with a number of headphones... from logitech to sennheiser with absolutely no problems at all. I wonder if this is brand specific problem or if there are other issues. Seriously ALL of my headphones snap in really nice... tight... no wiggle room... just a solid and tight connection.

Same here. NO problems with multiple standard stereo jacks and no wiggle at all.

This is obviously an isolated problem with SOME Macbooks having defective jacks.
post #49 of 82
I've got this problem too, luckily the speakers at my desk seem to be fine but my non-Apple headphones will pop out at the slightest touch. Not disastrous but nice to know that I'm not alone. Mine's a 2GHz, MacBook5,1, A1278.
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well done, you're a legend.

Thanks....your right I am a legend...perhaps in my own mind...but a legend, never the less.

TEQUILA FOR ME AND MY AMIGOS!!!
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

FW400 taken out of the new MacBook lineup. If you had a FW400 Storage device you would be screwed? Yes or No?

Quote:

No (only removed from entry level model)

You're likely thinking of keyboard backlight, not Firewire. Firewire was removed from both MB models.
post #52 of 82
Quote:

Not sure what the candle comment is about at all unless you are suggesting that they make a crappy socket to match all the crappy plugs out there.

Yes, that actually is what I'm suggesting, though I'm not sure "crappy" necessarily applies. It seems to me that perhaps Apple could have made a socket that works with a larger % of headphones. Funny how SanDisk and Microsoft and IBM/Lenovo and all the other portable electronics manufacturers can make such jacks. But somehow Apple is absolved from having to perform the same engineering miracle? Rigidly adhering to specs (cursing the darkness) instead of engineering for the real world and already-in-existence peripherals (lighting a candle) is short-sighted and consumer-hostile. Idealism rarely succeeds over pragmatism.
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiR View Post

You're likely thinking of keyboard backlight, not Firewire. Firewire was removed from both MB models.

The MacBook Pro also contains the MacBook moniker, which is what was implied by the comment. Though, to be technical, even the MBP lost FW400, though it does still contain FW800.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The MacBook Pro also contains the MacBook moniker, which is what was implied by the comment. Though, to be technical, even the MBP lost FW400, though it does still contain FW800.

The "only removed from entry level model" remark made it sound like he meant the entry level MacBook. I wasn't aware that the entire MacBook line was suddenly demoted to "entry level".

But I guess that's semantics.
post #55 of 82
Quote:

And the fact that even one adapter that is not made by Apple works as well as the Apple plugs does, kind of puts the lie to the whole premise as well.

The plug is "captured" by means of the knob at the end connecting to embedded leaf springs at the back of the socket. If the socket as designed captures some plugs but not others it kind of implies that the plugs are at fault, not the socket.

Apple's plugs look pretty standard to me, and Apple has a history of exacting adherence to specs in things like this, so what are the odds that Apple's plugs are going to turn out to be exactly on the mark and that the plugs in question that don't work are actually just poorly made?

High IMO.

I have this wretched problem using my high end Sony headphones with it's Sony plug. Now tell me, who do you think has made more 3.5mm stereo plugs and sockets, Sony or Apple? The Apple socket is out of spec. The Sony plug is not poorly made. As is so often the case, you are wrong.

You might notice from the gold having largely worn off the shaft that, this plug has seen a bit of use - over a decade of constant use. No other piece of equipment during that decade has exhibited any problem whatsoever accepting and retaining this plug - except the Macbook with it's hissy headphone output and it's wonderful propensity to loose all output via the speakers if you speed up a video in VLC. Not to mention the inability to connect properly with either of my blutooth phones.

It exhibits the same premature ejection problem with the other plugs I have tried as well.

post #56 of 82
The Apple bashing in this thread is really pathetic and really shows how little people know what they are talking about.

First, Apple does not make the jacks. Apple is merely assembles parts from various manufacturers into a computer. Going around screaming "Apple breaks standards to screw its customers" is pointless and only shows your ignorance. Apple is likely only one of the many companies using these jacks, even if it's the only one using them in notebook computers.

Second, this problem is not unique to combined microphone/speaker jacks. This has been an issue with headphone jacks on many devices including PC laptops for a long time. No part can be made exactly the same 100% of the time, and sometimes there are instances where a few plugs don't work well with a few jacks. If this happens to you, try using other headphones in the same jack or the same headphone in different jacks and return/exchange whichever product seems to be causing the problem.

That said, that's not to say Apple products are perfect. Remember those discolored Core Duo Macbooks? Manufacturing defects happen and no one is immune to them. Flipping out when they do is counter productive though. Products ship with a warranty for a reason: use them.

@cnocbui: while it is likely the plug was up to spec when it was brand new, a worn plug is almost definitely not. That doesn't mean the jack is perfect, but your argument against it is lacking.
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

What a load of crap, technology is about the now and tomorrow. Not the yesterday and last century. Who cares if crap isnt backward compatible, This isnt just Apple, or Microsoft. Its any good electronics company. New products arent there to support products of yesterday they are here to support the products of tomorrow. Thats how products move foward. Really for all the pain people are giving themselves with this headphone issue they could just buy a new compatible pair of Apple In Ear and live happily ever after. Apple is what I see as A perfectly closed Technological Ecosystem made to grow for tomorow not preserve for today. Both in the consumer spending aspect, and in the operations aspect of the business. If you dont like that maybe you need to buy different products.but personaly that is what I like about this company. But seriously whoever is concerned with crap dating over a decade old deserves to go back under their rock, and give apple, microsoft, and all other electronic companies trying to push new things out the door a break because thats the world today. and I embrace that fully

You sound like you are in marketing, you display the appropriate level of intelligence. I hope the next Apple wundermachina you buy just goes 'whir -click- whir - beeeep' when you try and insert a CD and displays a message on the screen 'please use iTunes - sucker'.
post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

The Apple bashing in this thread is really pathetic and really shows how little people know what they are talking about.

First, Apple does not make the jacks. Apple is merely assembles parts from various manufacturers into a computer. Going around screaming "Apple breaks standards to screw its customers" is pointless and only shows your ignorance. Apple is likely only one of the many companies using these jacks, even if it's the only one using them in notebook computers.

Actually, I think you will find in this case, it is an Apple apologist who doesn't know what they are talking about. I will give you a clue, think back to the original article at the head of this discussion, there were some trivial utterances about extra contacts and microphones. Have a wild guess as to who specified them and caused them to be manufactured thus.

Quote:
@cnocbui: while it is likely the plug was up to spec when it was brand new, a worn plug is almost definitely not. That doesn't mean the jack is perfect, but your argument against it is lacking.

Au contraire, mes amis. The amount of wear is probably on the order of microns. It works in ipods, DAT decks, in it's unimatch 1/4" fitting, my Powerbook G4, an iMac - everything. It is only the Macbook that rejects it like a shy little virgin. You seem to have missed the bit where I stated that this problem occurs with other plugs as well.
post #59 of 82
Quote:

The "only removed from entry level model" remark made it sound like he meant the entry level MacBook. I wasn't aware that the entire MacBook line was suddenly demoted to "entry level".

I more accurate statement would have been "only removed from Apple's entry level notebook line" but that seems excessive I doubt I would have stated it in such a way. As for the definition of "entry level", that is very relative. No Mac notebooks are entry level compared to most PC notebooks sold, but when comparing the MacBook to the MacBook Pro, every single one could easily be deemed entry level. Then again, even the term "entry level" is a known fallacy as their is no requirement to start with a lower cost or performing MacBook when switching to Macs, but we all know what is meant since the definition has evolved to include a broader scope.
post #60 of 82
I have this issue as well. I have a brand new 15" Macbook Pro and Bose In-Ear headphones (http://www.amazon.com/BOSE-R-In-Ear-.../dp/B0018VDADE).

These earphones were specifically designed to work with the 1st gen iPhone recessed jack. I have n o problem with them on my 1st gen Iphone or my 3G iPhone. When plugged into my Macbook Pro they come slightly unplugged at the slightest touch or movement.

I'm really disappointed...
post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Actually, I think you will find in this case, it is an Apple apologist who doesn't know what they are talking about. I will give you a clue, think back to the original article at the head of this discussion, there were some trivial utterances about extra contacts and microphones. Have a wild guess as to who specified them and caused them to be manufactured thus.

Again, Apple isn't the only one using jacks like that. Most camera's have an A/V out jacks that have 3 contacts: one for video, 2 for stereo audio. The jacks are of the same type. They are just mapped to carry different signals when added to the circuit board. They can even carry data. I used to have an old gameshark that used a similar plug to download cheat codes over a USB cable from my Windows PC.

Quote:
Au contraire, mes amis. The amount of wear is probably on the order of microns. It works in ipods, DAT decks, in it's unimatch 1/4" fitting, my Powerbook G4, an iMac - everything. It is only the Macbook that rejects it like a shy little virgin. You seem to have missed the bit where I stated that this problem occurs with other plugs as well.

Doesn't matter. Anything that is worn is likely no longer up to spec regardless if it still works or not. Like I said, it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the jack. Everything can be wrong with the jack and your headphone plug is likely still not up to spec. Hell, even if it were brand new, there is still a chance that it would not be up to spec because no manufacturer is perfect. Just recently Seagate had to recall a bunch of hard drives because of a goof up, and they have been making fantastic hard drives for years.

Of course just because there is a manufacturing defect doesn't mean it will be noticeable in appearance or function. Most things manufactured aren't 100% perfect but work anyway. It only becomes a problem when they have to be used with another product that is likely not 100% perfect either. If you're having trouble with all the headphones you have, new or old, sony or no name brand, then it's likely the jack in your Macbook and you should return/exchange it. However, if your favorite headphones don't work but others do, you should return or exchange them. There's no sure way to know who is at fault since not everyone is having a problem, and those who don't have problems are the least vocal. This is just common sense and does not make anyone an Apple apologist.
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

Doesn't matter. Anything that is worn is likely no longer up to spec regardless if it still works or not. Like I said, it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the jack. Everything can be wrong with the jack and your headphone plug is likely still not up to spec. Hell, even if it were brand new, there is still a chance that it would not be up to spec because no manufacturer is perfect.

Nothing is perfect, but the plug / jack are so simple that it shouldn't be a big deal if it's slightly worn or not, slightly out of spec or not. It's nothing like a hard drive. The jacks can be made to accept plugs with plenty of tolerance to operate properly, whether they be high precision high dollar headphones or some cheap no-brand. To not work with a well-designed jack, it would have to be physically damaged or visibly defective. I don't even remember hearing of headphone jacks in a new product that don't work properly with headphones except these two Apple products.
post #63 of 82
Quote:

You sound like you are in marketing, you display the appropriate level of intelligence. I hope the next Apple wundermachina you buy just goes 'whir -click- whir - beeeep' when you try and insert a CD and displays a message on the screen 'please use iTunes - sucker'.

Well Im actualy in Mass Communications, but I do have a thing for marketing. As far as your first half of the comment im not sure if im suppose to say thank you or F you. And for the second part im even more confused considering my CD were it to be music would start in iTunes............ so uhhhhh. Thanks or FKYU either or, depending on your intentions.
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

what a bunch of fucking morons, just don't push it all the way in. If you push it in and you fee the 'click' stop pushing it.

My iMac 2.1ghz G5 and iMac intel core duo and my current Alu iMac are exactly the same with some 3.5mm jacks.

Get over it.

Wow. Nice comment. Your series of iMac computers don't have a sound output jack with a 4-pin connector plug. So now who is the fucking moron?
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow. Nice comment. Your series of iMac computers don't have a sound output jack with a 4-pin connector plug. So now who is the fucking moron?

No they don't but they are non standard as they are also used for optical connections.
post #66 of 82
ITs Because people are forgetting its not just Analog Audio its Optical Digital too.....

People should Read the Manual before moaning about things that dont fit..
post #67 of 82
Quote:

I have this wretched problem using my high end Sony headphones with it's Sony plug. Now tell me, who do you think has made more 3.5mm stereo plugs and sockets, Sony or Apple? The Apple socket is out of spec. The Sony plug is not poorly made. As is so often the case, you are wrong. ...

Look, you're obviously very upset or something, but I don't think there is any need for this kind of hatred directed my way.

Everything I said, I posed as probabilities and opinions, not facts. Your the one that seems to think you have proof of some kind of gross malfeasance although you do seem to have a grudge of some kind in regards Apple.

If you think you have a case then go right ahead and sue or whatever, I couldn't care less either way.
post #68 of 82
Quote:

It's not semantics, although I could have said "entry level notebook" line as mentioned to eliminate confusion. I was replying to the OP though who was (erroneously) talking about the "MacBook lineup" so I replied in kind.

The OP said FireWire was "taken out of the new MacBook lineup."

In fact there are 3 notebooks in the "MacBook lineup" (notebook lineup), only one of which (the cheapest, smallest one) had Firewire removed. I think it's fair to refer to that product as "entry level" especially when the others are labelled "Pro."

The OP was wrong on almost everything he said and was referring to the products more wrongly (wronger?) than me was.
post #69 of 82
I just tested jiggling the audio jack in every direction and I have it hooked up to my surround sound and nothing happened. It just stayed connected. no random disconnection.
post #70 of 82
Quote:

It's not semantics, although I could have said "entry level notebook" line as mentioned to eliminate confusion. I was replying to the OP though who was (erroneously) talking about the "MacBook lineup" so I replied in kind.

The OP said FireWire was "taken out of the new MacBook lineup."

In fact there are 3 notebooks in the "MacBook lineup" (notebook lineup), only one of which (the cheapest, smallest one) had Firewire removed. I think it's fair to refer to that product as "entry level" especially when the others are labelled "Pro."

The OP was wrong on almost everything he said and was referring to the products more wrongly (wronger?) than me was.

Does nobody realize the entry level MB (or the entry level of the entry level MB aka the cheap white one) still has FW400?
post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymr View Post

What is it with Apple monkeying around with mini jack connections? First the recessed iPhone jack... then the 6th gen iPod Classic messed up 3rd party video cables... now the MacBook (and perhaps the MacBook Pro too)?

While I cringe looking at the usual design of PC laptops and the unnecessary gaggle of connectivity options... It's getting to be ridiculous the number of extra cables and connector the average Apple laptop - sorry, I meant "notebook" needs.

For a company that does so many ingenious things they sure get tripped up by a lot of no brainer stuff like basic mini jack design which has been around for decades.

Apple didn't, the 4 conductor jack was in use long ago and Apple did not invent it. There are many manufactures using the 4 conductor jack. Once that jack went into use it was inevitable that some old 3 conductor jack could fail to connect to the 4 conductor jacks under some conditions. Newer 3 conductor plug won't have the problem since the manufacture will design then in a way that won't cause problems in a 4 conductor jack.

So why is this Apples fault? It's not, if you have a device with an older plug you'll just have to accept the requirement of an adapter. Believe you me that you're going to see this with other manufactures using the 4 conductor jack.

You can complain to the designers but that will do you no good. Technology changes and sometime older devices will fall by the way side. It's the nature of the beast. It's too bad but that's tough.
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Apple didn't, the 4 conductor jack was in use long ago and Apple did not invent it. There are many manufactures using the 4 conductor jack. Once that jack went into use it was inevitable that some old 3 conductor jack could fail to connect to the 4 conductor jacks under some conditions.

Can you explain that in better detail? I really don't see how that's possible if even mildly competent people designed the jack.
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Can you explain that in better detail? I really don't see how that's possible if even mildly competent people designed the jack.

I could but don't have time right now but you can do a little research by googling "4 conductor 3.5mm jack".
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A few owners of Apple's new unibody notebooks are experiencing backwards compatibility issues with the units' redesigned audio jacks, which offer a snug connection for the company's latest headphones with integrated microphones at the expense of a few legacy stereo headsets and speaker connectors.

Threads about the issue began turning up on Apple's Discussions support boards back in November, shortly after the new unibody MacBook and MacBook Pro began shipping. Customers of both models (1, 2) reported that when wearing non-Apple headphones, even the slightest bump or movement of the cord -- such as turning one's head to the side -- would result in a disconnection that caused audio to be rerouted back through the notebook's built-in speakers.

For those connecting external speakers to their MacBook, the mere act of setting a book down on the desk next to the computer would reportedly disrupt the connection. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that some 1/8th-inch miniplugs are left with a tad more wiggle room while in receptacle, namely those lacking a fourth conductor.

"When a jackplug is inserted into the socket there is a degree of play in the socket," wrote forum user movetolearn. "Fully pushed in...it works. Give a gentle pull, the plug moves back out maybe 0.5mm and, even though the plug stays in the socket, the sound comes out of the speakers."

As time went on and posters tested additional playback devices, they discovered longer plugs with four contacts and three separator rings would sit firmly and securely, while traditional stereo jacks with three contacts and only two separator rings resulted in a loose connection.

"One thing I notice is that my iPhone 3G headset works fine," wrote user Toronto-Ty. "What I am thinking is that since the plug has integrated stereo l/r and mic, there are 3 plastic bands around the metal plug, thus creating 4 metal sections. The fact that the headphone jack on the new MacBook is integrated mic as well, is what I feel the problem might be."

The same poster later reported a secure connection using Apple's in-ear headphones with mic. He also claims to have e-mailed Steve Jobs about the matter, only to receive a response from the company co-founder essentially telling him he was "wrong, literally."

Last year the company transitioned a number of its headphone jacks to quad-conductor jacks with microphone capabilities. Users who are experiencing the loose connection issue with third-party headphones on their new MacBooks may want to explore iFrogz $4 adapter solution suggested by one forum member.

For more on the differences between Apple's various audio and video cable connectors, see the article titled Using iPod & iPhone Video Out: Background and In-Depth Review.

If this is true, I have a big problem with Steve's response. If this does use a 4-conductor jack as Timon suggests, Apple should have explained this.
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Take this as a tiny part of the lesson we all probably know by now:

DON'T BUY 1st GEN HARDWARE!!!

I know better than to PAY Apple to beta test their hardware. Rev.A Macs ALWAYS have some weirdnesses you have to struggle with, whether it's hardware or software. And yes, I've made the mistake a few times. \\It's better to buy the LAST revision of a Mac with a mature and stable design and use it until the second or third revision of the next version.

My June 2007 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz had a total video failure the week before Xmas (Dec '08) a few days before a big deadline! (Merry Xmas!) I bought a new early 2008 model 2.6GHz MBP and NOT the unibody MBP for exactly that reason. The stupid glossy screen didn't help either.

I just don't get why Apple makes some of these brain dead design decisions, when everything else is so well thought out.

BTW... HDMI supports screen resolutions no higher than 1920 x 1080, so it limits the monitors you can use.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #76 of 82
thats why I only use USB gaming head phones. DIGITAL FOREVER BABY!
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Does nobody realize the entry level MB (or the entry level of the entry level MB aka the cheap white one) still has FW400?

why would they actually find out what they are talking about? The only Apple laptop currently sold that don't have Firewire, is the aluminum Macbook. The white Macbook (even the new one with the Geforce 9400s) and all the Macbook Pros all have Firewire, and can run firewire 400 or both 400/800 devices.

The few people that want Firewire in their Macbook are mad because they have to spend less money to get one with Firewire, and have to put up with a plastic case.
post #78 of 82
I have tried 11 different stereo plug devices in my Macbook Pro (unibody late 2008) jack now.. mostly headphones, and a few speakers. Only 2 things I've plug in were Apple branded... and they all work just fine, no problems at all in any way... Maybe its a manufacturing defect on some Macbooks?
post #79 of 82
You can always just buy a low cost compatible headset.
post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

If this is true, I have a big problem with Steve's response. If this does use a 4-conductor jack as Timon suggests, Apple should have explained this.

What's to explain? Video iPods and iPhone 3G's have used the 4 conductor jack for some time now so it's not new to Apple products. I've not read about any problems with these jacks in the iPods or iPhones.

It could be however that Apple is using a different manufacture/model for the jack in question that has a problem or they just ran into a batch of bad jacks. If this is the case I would think it will get sorted out over time.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook owners frustrated by new audio jacks