or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple

Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... that is literally killing retailers of all kinds.

Quick! Somebody call a policeman! Retailers are being killed... Oh hang on, I get it now, you meant it figuratively, not literally. Thank God for that.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #42 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

"transform the PC and Microsoft buying experience at retail by improving the articulation and demonstration of the Microsoft innovation and value proposition so that it's clear, simple and straightforward for consumers everywhere."

Ha ha ha ha ...Ha hahahaha .....oHoHoHoHoho....oooo....ha Ha Ha Ha ...He HE Eh HEhehe..aghhhh. ....Ha Ha Ha HA HA...aw god...hoo hoo hoo...ahghhghh. .....oh god, oh god.... Ha ha ha ha ...Ha hahahaha ..:lo l:

in true M$ copying fashion

WHAT HE SAID!

--

at a time of economic failures, this will waste MILLIONS, if not BILLIONS, which, to be honest, is great news.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #43 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Keep laughing but it might actually be a success.

Also who knows what products they might have up thier sleeve for these stores.

Apples behavior around the Iphone is pure old Microsoft.

You're an idiot. Above my words are your misspelled statements of idiotic absurdity.

(pause, to give MH01 a chance to reflect....)

Now, quit wasting electricity- and go back to bed.
post #44 of 131
More Microsoft epic failz for the lulz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

"transform the PC and Microsoft buying experience at retail by improving the articulation and demonstration of the Microsoft innovation and value proposition so that it's clear, simple and straightforward for consumers everywhere."

Ha ha ha ha ...Ha hahahaha .....oHoHoHoHoho....oooo....ha Ha Ha Ha ...He HE Eh HEhehe..aghhhh. ....Ha Ha Ha HA HA...aw god...hoo hoo hoo...ahghhghh. .....oh god, oh god.... Ha ha ha ha ...Ha hahahaha ..:l
post #45 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

at a time of economic failures, this will waste MILLIONS, if not BILLIONS, which, to be honest, is great news.

It will be a few hundred million USD at least down the drain for Microsoft. Well, the good news is for all the jobs it will create in these times. For at least a few years before Microsoft starts realising their Retail push is so-so and they then start subleasing/ partnering with a hardware provider to use their Retail space.

I'd say it opens with crazy big fanfare, then after a year, it will all be converted into Dell/Microsoft stores.
post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyindenver View Post

FAIL

Can I just add a precursor to that - EPIC

"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
post #47 of 131
This is simply a part of MS's ongoing latency to dilute and devalue Apple's brand. I doubt very seriously MS will ever open these stores. If they did, these stores would be a miserable failure and become another focal point of derision and ridicule.

MS found incredible success in a feat of thievery at just the right moment in time. Such an opportunity will never present itself in just such a way again. Let me elaborate. At a point in time few had ever seen the Apple OS. MS stole the look and feel in what we now know was a shoddy product, but the consumer had no point of reference, so it seemed fresh, new and intuitive.

Apple continues to innovate while MS attempts to imitate.
post #48 of 131
I don't get what the big deal is or why people are convinced its Apple there copying. For years the likes of Sony, Panasonic etc all sold their products through other retailers, then they all started to figure why not open our own stores. Then Apple did the same, then Dell decided why not have stores as well. Now Microsoft are going to do it to, why not? Why not have a store that sells the hardware that runs Windows best and at the same time make a cut on the hardware as well as just software. Sure they may piss of a few other manufacturers but what are they going to do? Apple don't license OS X and linux isn't about to take over the world.

Also when people say what are MS going to put in the store, well they sell a lot more software than Apple, probably some PCs, Keybords etc that they sell, Zune, Xbox, Xbox games alone could probably fill half an average Apple store, support services. Lets face it the only thing they don't do that Apple do is make PCs, but there's nothing stopping them selling someone else's in the same way a lot of the stuff in the Apple store isn't made by Apple.
post #49 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

...T-shirt saying "I love Steve Ballmer?"...

and with $5 extra, you'll be able to add Sweat Stains
bb
bb
post #50 of 131
Flail. Flail. Fail.

This does not appear to be well-considered. I guess if they did a Genius bar then the lines would stretch out the door and look like those at Apple store openings.

The comment about smaller "kiosk" style stores focussed on gaming sounds better, but that's not what is proposed.

Microsoft really does seem to have lost its way
post #51 of 131
Aside from all the sarcasm expressed over this it appears that Ballmer really doesn't know where to steer the Microsoft ship next. He seems to be bouncing from one scheme to another. While the trolls here are always castigating Apple for not becoming a software-only company Ballmer seems to be headed in opposite direction. Microsoft is completely rudderless under his reign so far.
post #52 of 131
Will these stores have a 'genius bar' or tech support area?

I doubt it and I suspect there will be some disappointment over this. The genius bar and one to one teaching are among the best features at an Apple store IMO.

It'll be difficult if not impossible for MS to duplicate that.
post #53 of 131
I can see games, xbox being one side of the store; and 3rd party software on the other side. They would try to cross-sell customers of those two onto Zunes which they would have on demo. And they may even have a phone section with various WinMo phones out there.

I think they will stay away from selling PCs as they take up a lot of space and are complicated and there are the issues with which brands to support.

I also think they will stay well away from PC support. They know that the hardware landscape makes it really hard to support anything that is hardware-specific. And even microsoft must be aware of what a mess it is maintaining Windows. If they had a Windows Genius, like the IT folk in every enterprise I visit, they would be stumped half the time and that would just underline that fact that PCs are harder to own than Macs etc.

My guess is that Microsoft are aiming for mindshare of their lesser brands such as zune/WinMo, and want to underline their strength in gaming and 3rd party apps, but would not realistically expect sales to have much impact on their profit margins.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #54 of 131
Next time I'm in the market for a mouse, I'll know where to go.

post #55 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I also think they will stay well away from PC support. They know that the hardware landscape makes it really hard to support anything that is hardware-specific. And even microsoft must be aware of what a mess it is maintaining Windows. If they had a Windows Genius, like the IT folk in every enterprise I visit, they would be stumped half the time and that would just underline that fact that PCs are harder to own than Macs etc.

Indeed. At least half the time the Microsoft expert wouldd conclude the problem before them was a hardware fault. They'd send the user carrying away their still non-functional PC to contact Dell or HP, leaving them unsatisfied. That's not how you want a customer leaving a store, and the Microsoft shoppe would get a horrid reputation rather quickly. Uber-fail.
post #56 of 131
So Microsoft cut 5,000 jobs but somehow they figure it's a great time to get into retail store???

post #57 of 131
You all have brought out the funny for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristgarage View Post

You're an idiot. Above my words are your misspelled statements of idiotic absurdity.

No personal attacks. You can comment that the idea is idiotic, but don't direct the insult at the poster.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #58 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Aside from all the sarcasm expressed over this it appears that Ballmer really doesn't know where to steer the Microsoft ship next. He seems to be bouncing from one scheme to another. While the trolls here are always castigating Apple for not becoming a software-only company Ballmer seems to be headed in opposite direction. Microsoft is completely rudderless under his reign so far.

I think Bill Gates would've run into the same problems and that this is one of his reasons for retiring. Windows became popular because it received overwhelming support from computer manufacturers. Although this is still the case, people have become more computer literate and can see through the hype to make better decisions. I also believe that many who used Windows feel that there should be something better out there, which makes them look at the alternative.

I'm not implying that Windows is useless, many successful businesses run it and their servers aren't that bad, but the average user does run into viruses, spyware, and those continually annoying pop-up messages.
bb
bb
post #59 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmason View Post

I can see it now, big giant rectangular beige buildings.

And a sign in the corner saying "Ask our MIT department a question"
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #60 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

So Microsoft cut 5,000 jobs but somehow they figure it's a great time to get into retail store???

Apple have stores so of course they have too! Come on, you think they have their own ideas section?
post #61 of 131
Quote:

Hey don't pick on a guy for a typo for heaven's sake! I tpyo all the tmie, it's due to fingers losing the connection to the brain for a brief moment and the error correction failing ....
post #62 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Ah... I see some MINOR (sarcasm) problems in such a strategy....

1. where do you put your stores in order NOT to piss off the closes biggest retailer of your products?
2. the aforementioned retailer will fight back with discounts and the like so you cannot compete on price (as "geniouses" and "win" experts will be more expensive than the average salesperson in a conventional retail shop)

maybe open only flagship stores?

3. on which brands are they going to showcase Windows? Choose brand A and you will piss off brand B and so on...
4. if they choose to have multiple brands then the Windows experience might be very different (speed, performance, screen resolution, color, you name it) from one another, thus providing NO PERCEPTION of Windows as a brand.
5. Microsoft is in music (cough cough), computers, office software, games... How can they possibly convey a uniform message and feeling when their products are so different in target, experience, design?

6. How are they going to choose which brand makes the store and which doesn't? By asking money?
7. Since Microsoft mainly sells software, what are they going to sell there? Couple of Xboxes? Zunes? Windows software but no PC? A whole PC? Which brand???

Answers:

1) Next to an Apple store. How else they gonna generate foot traffic.

2) That way that solves the discount problem. Apple doesn't do discounts.

3) They will highlight the "Brand" that agrees to pay MS to be "highlighted" over the other "Brands".

4) Nah, M$ can tweak the bloat ware out of the display machines to make them go fast. Besides Apple's iMac can't be looked upon at the same performance level and speed as one can look upon the PowerMac and neither can the MacBook Pro vs the MacBook.

5) Simple, again M$ can look to Apple... Maybe call it their, and I am paraphrasing, "digital hub to their digital lifestyle" as Steve Jobs said when he first introduced iLife. Maybe M$ can call it "MiLife"?!

6) Yes, money is what makes the world go around. No different then product placement at your local supermarket or local Apple Store.

7) You forgot the Zune Phone. In any event. M$ will stock first the items they have in their repertoire. That should cover a couple of displays around the cash register. the rest of the store will stock willing 3rd party products and apps.

How much of an "experience" a visitor will get out of it? Remains to be seen...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #63 of 131
I can see it now. John Doe drags his Wal-Mart special through the door into the MS Store and schlepps it up to the Guru counter.

"I paid $300 for this computer and I can't make a cd" says John Doe to the Guru.

The Guru after 10 minutes discovers the cd drive is bad and tells poor John about his discovery.

"Well fix it. I spent good money on this thing" says John.

The Guru spends another 10 minutes explaining Microsoft just wrote the software, but for any hardware failures he will have to contact "x company" to get authorization to send it somewhere.

"That's just bullshxt, where is your manager. You don't know what you are talking about. This damn computer is broke and I want a new one you idiot" exclaims John.

and so it goes... Good luck with your retail store Microsoft!
post #64 of 131
Quote:

In a press statement, Microsoft COO Kevin Turner said, "We're working hard to transform the PC and Microsoft buying experience at retail by improving the articulation and demonstration of the Microsoft innovation and value proposition so that it's clear, simple and straightforward for consumers everywhere."

You might start by making a statement that's clear, simple and easy to understand.
post #65 of 131
Quote:

Analysts expected Apple to fail when it announced plans to begin opening stores back in 2001. Consultant David Goldstein of Channel Marketing Corp said at the time, "It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for them to open retail stores."

Goldstein claimed Apple's retail strategy wasn't going to work because consumers "haven't indicated that they're having trouble finding outlets that sell Macs," adding, "It's another case of Apple being Jobs driven and not consumer driven."

It must be nice to be such an idiot and still have a job.
post #66 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Quick! Somebody call a policeman! Retailers are being killed... Oh hang on, I get it now, you meant it figuratively, not literally. Thank God for that.

And thank God for you, too, allblue! Abuse of the word "literally" is one of my pet peeves. It grinds on me like fingernails on a chalkboard (I guess we're going to have to update that cliche for the times -- like a dry-erase marker squeals on a whiteboard? Maybe not.)

When I think I am alone at trying to make sure the word "literally" keeps it true and useful meanings, someone like you comes along and helps me fight the good fight (or, at least, the pedantic fight. )
post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I can see it now. John Doe drags his Wal-Mart special through the door into the MS Store and schlepps it up to the Guru counter.

"I paid $300 for this computer and I can't make a cd" says John Doe to the Guru.

The Guru after 10 minutes discovers the cd drive is bad and tells poor John about his discovery.

The Guru spends another 10 minutes explaining Microsoft just wrote the software, but for any hardware failures he will have to contact "x company" to get authorization to send it somewhere.

"That's just bullshxt, where is your manager. You don't know what you are talking about. This damn computer is broke and I want a new one you idiot" exclaims John.

The opposite might also be true... Not all of Windows users a tech "illiterates" there are many "über-geeks" as well.

I imagine a line with an "über-geek" near the counter asking a MS Guru which motherboard, CPU, GPU he should purchase to run the lates Microsoft Direct X game ("if I build it that way, will it run Crysis??" cough cough).

Seriously... Microsoft is not a brand. Office, Windows, Zune (whatever its worth) are.

Imagine a small "Office Shop" showcasing all the advantages of Office for Mac, PC, server and all solutions in a interesting "café-like" setting placed in the heart of a financial district.
People can enter, get a peak about Office, be informed about the latest innovations and then maybe also have training lessons about Office (how many users really know how to get the best out of it??). THAT IS WHAT MICROSOFT SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT...

Then, maybe a couple of blocks away, closer to a residential area, an XboX shop. Where people can "demo" games, buy everything for their XboX, maybe organize competitions, get their XboX tuned....

That is a concept I would look favourably. But just another "shopping mall" with a different name is not going to help Microsoft get positive mind share.

Ah.. They should pay me for these bright ideas (which, by the way, were written on a Mac )
post #68 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

That's why I don't think they'll have a genius bar or tech support area.
post #69 of 131
Okay... Yes, Microcrap Cough ( i mean Microsoft) is the largest software company in the world. But, in the last deacade the have copied mac to the point where its pathetic.

Microsoft Board- " hey, lets put a new taskbar in windows7!!" " How should we change it?"
Lets make it look like OS X's dock but instead of it looking like the icons are sitting on the dock, lets make them just sit there like it was in OS X 10.1" Its soooooo original

Windows XP was a hit.
Vista started to look more and more like OS X. Hmmm..... lets see, apple has their logo at the top left. Vista "ball" bottom left. Spotlight top right. "search" bottom left.

I was a windows user at one point. I hated Apple. I got vista, and it crashed my machine. I said I was done and that was it. I have used a mac every since and i think its the best computer software, and hardware company out there
post #70 of 131
Quote:

Thanks champ! People make mistakes, these can corrected , shame its not that easy when it comes to personalities. May all potential idiots stay our of your way this weekend....

P.S Yeah electricity wasters suck, but so do oxygen thieves....
post #71 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

That is the beginning of the end of Microsoft.

What will they sell?

Software? Zunes and get . May be they can sell iPods and Macs

What will they sell? Broken Windows!

And imagine how big and busy the Glazer Bar will have to be.
post #72 of 131
Steve Jobs is a genious.
post #73 of 131
This is a freakin riot! Steve Ballless and Swill Gates wouldn't know a truly original idea if it bit them in the ass.....

The only way any of this will work would be if they actually made a decent product that wasn't a complete pile of SHIT! If they did that then maybe some of these lame ass ideas would work....

They should call these Hindenburgs (sp?).... because these lame ass stores are going to go down in flames...... This idea is about as good as the Zune.....

Z
post #74 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's why I don't think they'll have a genius bar or tech support area.

If there are genius bars we Mac folks should support this venture and all go with known Windows issues to ask them as soon as they open.
post #75 of 131
It's one thing to "me too" everything Apple does, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But what galls me is that Ballmer disses everything Apple does, then he copies it. Hypocrisy is not pretty.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #76 of 131
No wonder people say they copy Apple with moves like this, it's like it's nothing to them, put this in the same box with the Zune.
post #77 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

This is a freakin riot! Steve Ballless and Swill Gates wouldn't know a truly original idea if it bit them in the ass.....

The only way any of this will work would be if they actually made a decent product that wasn't a complete pile of SHIT! If they did that then maybe some of these lame ass ideas would work....

They should call these Hindenburgs (sp?).... because these lame ass stores are going to go down in flames...... This idea is about as good as the Zune.....

Z

Their next 'idea' will be to get their customers to 'love' their M$ products, you know like we Mac users love our Macs, iPods and iPhones. Look out for heavy M$ investment in love inducing phemerones that can be distributed via holding a mouse.
post #78 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Oh for christ sake, this is getting ridiculous.

Tell me about it, it's like they have no shame.
post #79 of 131
The biggest problems I foresee are the store doors locking up at random intervals and the windows turning an opaque blue.

That, and MS's total long-established obliviousness to the concept of "cool." Bringing in a "Dreamworks" animation guy won't help.

I've (for whatever reasons) enjoyed every Pixar film and (for whatever reasons) have never even been able to sit through any of the Dreamworks cartoons. The talent gravitating around Steve Jobs have always "gotten it," while the nerds and suits agglomerated by Gates, Ballmer and Co. never have.

Microsoft Bob, "Clippy," etc. I rest my case. Ohhh, but wait, Bill Gates releasing mosquitoes at the recent TED conference to give the comfortable a "a genuine 3rd World fear of malaria experience," now that was cool. If cool means bizarre.....

All in all, I believe this "me too," Apple-emulating, catch-up effort will be nearly as successful as the Zune.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #80 of 131
Ballmer's New Logo Idea for up coming Vista 3

http://digitalclips.com/M$.jpg
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple