or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple

Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Its interesting reading all the comments and how everyone is so negative to the idea. Though for some of us that actually use both a PC and Mac might be a good idea. I am not going to ridicule it till they announce what products they are going to sell.

Keep laughing but it might actually be a success.

For one if they had an equivalent of the Genius bar, that would do wonders for them, cause these shops would be a central point for users to come with questions about windows os. It basically gives Microsoft a way to interact with their clients at a retail level.

Also who knows what products they might have up thier sleeve for these stores.

Now that Apple has become popular i find them acting more like Microsoft and Microsoft acting like the old apple. Apples behavior around the Iphone is pure old Microsoft. For some of us who are old school Apple users, today's apple is not the same, they got a taste of Big corporate $$$ and things are changing...

Clap for yourself, you can soon begin going to your Microsoft store.
post #82 of 131
Know what I love best? The gray shopping cart. The place looks like a cleaned up Wal Mart.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #83 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Know what I love best? The gray shopping cart. The place looks like a cleaned up Wal Mart.

But ... there will be several carts to select from depending on the version of Windows you bought, each will require you to prove what version you are qualified to push using your serial number. If you use the wrong cart it will stop working half way across the store...
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #84 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Clap for yourself, you can soon begin going to your Microsoft store.

He'll have to wait behind me. I am really looking forward to going to ask why my Windows 7 can't print to my networked printer until I instal Bonjour from Apple then it works fine
post #85 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ballmer's New Logo Idea for up coming Vista 3

http://digitalclips.com/M$.jpg

Hey Digitalclips.... I think you're totally wrong on that guess....

Didn't you hear? MS's new logo is going to be a

BANANA....LOL

with a bite off the top.....

Z
post #86 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Who on earth comes up with these stupid ideas?

Who on this earth is going to have fun in a Microsoft shop? Seriously?

They've got a few good (err... successful) products: Windows, Office, Xbox 360, Keyboard & Mouse. And every single one of those products is available at the nearest retailer or at some kind of discount online. And people don't really get very excited about any of these productsthey buy them if they want them and move on with their life.

If they're going to jump on some kind of Apple bandwagon they should at least make sure they can benefit in the same way Apple does...

"Ready to go to the Microsoft store, Jimmy?!"
"... I hate you, dad... I HATE you!"

I totally agree with you. I don't see this as being anything "Special" like the Apple Store. When I mention to my two kids that we are going to the Mall in Bellevue, WA they get excited knowing that I'm going to the Apple store. Running around like chickens with their heads off, getting ready so we can leave in a hurry.

I just don't think that they M$ store will generate that kind of enthusiasm.

LanPhantom
post #87 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Its interesting reading all the comments and how everyone is so negative to the idea. Though for some of us that actually use both a PC and Mac might be a good idea. I am not going to ridicule it till they announce what products they are going to sell.

Keep laughing but it might actually be a success.

For one if they had an equivalent of the Genius bar, that would do wonders for them, cause these shops would be a central point for users to come with questions about windows os. It basically gives Microsoft a way to interact with their clients at a retail level.

Also who knows what products they might have up thier sleeve for these stores.

Now that Apple has become popular i find them acting more like Microsoft and Microsoft acting like the old apple. Apples behavior around the Iphone is pure old Microsoft. For some of us who are old school Apple users, today's apple is not the same, they got a taste of Big corporate $$$ and things are changing...

What are you SMOKING MH01?

You sound like a liberal saying..... "Sources say"....w/o ever saying what they said just insinuating someone backs up your IDIOT STATEMENTs...ie... you are FULL OF CRAP.

1) Yes Apple is getting bigger.... and they've earned it
2) They don't act like Microcrap because their products ARE GOOD, WELL ENGINEERED, and I don't have to constantly dick with them like I would if I were foolish enough to use a PC on a regular basis and thank god I don't have to.

You make me want to Gag..... GO FIX your PC now !

Z
post #88 of 131
Lately, I've been going back and forth whether to hate Microsoft or not because its healthy for Apple to have competition.....it keeps them in check.

But then Microsoft goes ahead and does something stupid again and annoys the heck out of me.
This is not even stupid its just sad......just....sad.
post #89 of 131
Quote:
Goldstein claimed Apple's retail strategy wasn't going to work because consumers "haven't indicated that they're having trouble finding outlets that sell Macs," adding, "It's another case of Apple being Jobs driven and not consumer driven."

I trust this man is unemployed by now?

Those store images could be any high street chain like PC World, Curry's, Comet or even Tandy. Microsoft don't really have a strong brand image so it's going to be tough going to differentiate themselves from similar high street shops.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #90 of 131
This is indeed quite hilarious.

I sincerely hope they spend many billions in an effort to make this work.

--mAc
post #91 of 131
After launching this me-too store, Microsoft will, like Apple, change its name.

From now one it will be called MicroShopt.
post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Hey Digitalclips.... I think you're totally wrong on that guess....

Didn't you hear? MS's new logo is going to be a

BANANA....LOL

with a bite off the top.....

Z

While the Monkey Dance would indicate a banana, it simply isn't close enough to anything truly Apple to satisfy Ballmer. Then again ... Maybe a multi colored, horizontally striped Banana ... he probably doesn't know Apple updated their logo a while back yet.
post #93 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

After launching this me-too store, Microsoft will, like Apple, change its name.

From now one it will be called MicroShopt.

How about 'The CP/M Store or better yet the aptly named QDOS Store!'
post #94 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I also think they will stay well away from PC support. They know that the hardware landscape makes it really hard to support anything that is hardware-specific. And even microsoft must be aware of what a mess it is maintaining Windows. If they had a Windows Genius, like the IT folk in every enterprise I visit, they would be stumped half the time and that would just underline that fact that PCs are harder to own than Macs etc.

While you may be right that it would be logistically very difficult for them to do service at those locations, people would expect it. They would almost be forced to do it because the idea of walking into a Microsoft store and not being able to get any advice or service on your computer is completely ridiculous. Whether or not they want to deal with servicing computers there, people will bring their computers into those stores.
post #95 of 131
Quote:

How about 'The CP/M Store or better yet the aptly named QDOS Store!'

M$ is pathetic. It is a company without any bain. Zero, niet, nada, nothing. They cannot even go to the bathroom without watching someone first to see how it is done. Amazing.

They are now preparing the ZunePhone (another failed project), not to mention other wanna be projects like "My Phone" (mobile me clone), Zune Marketplace (wanna be iTunes project)...
post #96 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

While you may be right that it would be logistically very difficult for them to do service at those locations, people would expect it. They would almost be forced to do it because the idea of walking into a Microsoft store and not being able to get any advice or service on your computer is completely ridiculous. Whether or not they want to deal with servicing computers there, people will bring their computers into those stores.

The irony is the business model for M$ these many years has been to create a confusing OS that is illogical and requires dedicated (dare I say M$ certified) techies to keep up (and strongly promote more PC sales as it feeds them) thus creating their own world, modelled on the MIT departments of 1970's main frame departments. End users being able to do stuff is totally against M$'s MO. Now it is biting them in the ass as people are sick and tired of paying some geek $300 to do even the most basic of things simply because they cannot figure out how to do it. The fact is most consumer sales of PCs are because buying a new computer every few years is cheaper than 'fixing' the current one. Whereas most ancient Macs are still chugging along and the secret is getting out. An M$ store isn't going to help one little bit. People want computers with an OS that work and they can deal with. Apple have that M$ simply don't.

Woot! Just noticed my 1000th post!
post #97 of 131
Quote:

You sound like a liberal saying..... "Sources say"....w/o ever saying what they said just insinuating someone backs up your IDIOT STATEMENTs...ie... you are FULL OF CRAP.

And you sound like (insert something completely irrelevant here that insults an entire group of people unnecessarily rather than just Zaphodsplanet), so you're even.

Yes, this is a lame, unoriginal move, and considering Best Buys are practically Microsoft stores already, I'm not really sure what advantage they think they're getting. But who gives a shit? It's not going to hurt Apple. And if it does well, then fuck. We'll have a new place to buy some cables and hard drives (which we can reformat for our Macs) and whatever.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #98 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

And you sound like an asshole, so you're even.

Yes, this is a lame, unoriginal move, and considering Best Buys are practically Microsoft stores already, I'm not really sure what advantage they think they're getting. But who gives a shit? It's not going to hurt Apple. And if it does well, then fuck. We'll have a new place to buy some cables and hard drives (which we can reformat for our Macs) and whatever.

I agree (except for the insult which is not necessary), bring them on, I want to go and talk to them when I'm bored. Remember to check the GUID Partition table when using those originally PC formatted drives on a modern Mac.
post #99 of 131
Only Microsoft would expect you to shop their aisles with a Safeway shopping cart!
post #100 of 131
Quote:

I agree (except for the insult which is not necessary), bring them on, I want to go and talk to them when I'm bored. Remember to check the GUID Partition table when using those originally PC formatted drives on a modern Mac.

While crass the asshole comment is technically allowed on this forum since he merely states that he sounded like on, while not actually calling him one.

PS: Welcome to Thousand's Club. The Academy Awards has the Oscar, I think you get a coveted bronze Melgross at 1000 posts.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #101 of 131
Quote:

He'll have to wait behind me. I am really looking forward to going to ask why my Windows 7 can't print to my networked printer until I instal Bonjour from Apple then it works fine

Is the printer attached to a Mac? If so, same problem my friend has. 3 Vista PCs all share and use the printer fine when it's connected to one of them. Connect printer to the Mac and try sharing it, and it won't play ball at all. Six months later and still no resolution. Seems the Mac just doesn't want to play nice. If the printer is attached to a Mac, try connecting it to a Windows PC instead, and share it that way.
post #102 of 131
I'm excited about this, even though it may spell doom for Microsoft's consumer PC market. First, it'll likely put some of Microsoft's money into our communities (wages, mall rent) for the short time that they run this operation. Secondly, this HAS to have positive implications for Apple's (or anyone else's) market share. The implications for social proof are through the roof! This will make dissatisfaction public, whereas it used to be confined to your phone line, in your own home.

Just think if you were in the market for a new computer. You're at the mall and you walk into the MS Store, and see nothing but stressed out, sweating techs trying to handle the complaints and tech issues of dozens of customers. Holy Jeebus! I've gotta get out of here! Then you walk into the Apple store and see lots of people wide-eyed and smiling, fiddling with this gadget or that, using computers that work, and having FUN!!! There are one or two people in the whole store with actual service/performance issues, and relaxed Geniuses are resolving every one of them quickly and easily, and they're shown to be simple misunderstandings. You begin to reach for your wallet....
post #103 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

I'm excited about this, even though it may spell doom for Microsoft's consumer PC market. First, it'll likely put some of Microsoft's money into our communities (wages, mall rent) for the short time that they run this operation. Secondly, this HAS to have positive implications for Apple's (or anyone else's) market share. The implications for social proof are through the roof! This will make dissatisfaction public, whereas it used to be confined to your phone line, in your own home.

Just think if you were in the market for a new computer. You're at the mall and you walk into the MS Store, and see nothing but stressed out, sweating techs trying to handle the complaints and tech issues of dozens of customers. Holy Jeebus! I've gotta get out of here! Then you walk into the Apple store and see lots of people wide-eyed and smiling, fiddling with this gadget or that, using computers that work, and having FUN!!! There are one or two people in the whole store with actual service/performance issues, and relaxed Geniuses are resolving every one of them quickly and easily, and they're shown to be simple misunderstandings. You begin to reach for your wallet....

Except the picture you paint is horribly biased and probably not a true reflection of reality .
post #104 of 131
"Opening a new chain of stores would be a monumental task, particularly during a global recession that is literally killing retailers of all kinds."

Ouch!
post #105 of 131
I can hardly wait for new Apple commercials with John Hodgman playing a Microsoft store manager and Justin Long dropping in to shop. This is going to be rich!

(Actually, it would behoove Apple to wait and let Microsoft squander bazillions in rolling out retail stores, so that the pathetic shortcomings of the MS stores will become readily visible in the marketplace. THEN the time will arrive for Apple to do a judo move on MS, using the MS store deficiencies to further advance Apple's market penetration.)

Walk into an Apple store. See all the displays of Apple hardware executing neat Apple applications. See the demos with shoppers clustered around Apple employees, learning about all the cool things they can do with iTunes, iPods, iPhones and iMacs and MacBooks. How is MS going to demo most of its stuff? On Dells? On Lenovos? On Acers? The point is that MS is strategically weak compared with the totality of the Apple experience. Unless they have some kind of "gee whiz" experience up their sleeves, they will fail to impress shoppers.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #106 of 131
This is MS building on its "I'm A PC" campaign. That's all. As Apple commercials have defined MS for consumers, MS has had to regroup and try to set the tone in defining itself. Regrouping is something that MS must do. So, their getting into retail is actually a good idea for them.

Naturally, there's not a lot of reason to expect that MS will succeed in this sort of venture. (Aside from their software and hardware problems, their advertising campaigns--intended to wrest their image from Apple--have been rather laughable in themselves.) But WTF? They can spend oodles of money on advertising and they can do the same with retail stores. They don't have to be profitable if success is measured in mindshare.

Here's what I envision for MS retail:

Museum exhibits--computers running Windows versions from the past. This will evoke a measure of fond nostalgia in some people: "Minesweeper! I haven't played this in years!" This is something Apple can't do--not because there's a lack of nostalgia among Mac users (or that such appeal would actually be realized by a very small portion of the overall population), but because Apple is all about progress. MS just has to win back or acquire a kind of warm and fuzzy feeling from consumers.

"Home-built" computers/Hobbyist supplies--for the DIYers out there. This enforces the ubiquity of the Windows operating system and has the potential for being kind of fun (if that's your sort of thing [and it is that sort of thing for PC folks]). This also gets around the potential problem of pissing-off hardware partners like Dell and HP etc.

Games--that's obvious. In addition to Xbox, though, expect dedicated systems for Windows gaming and especially Windows-7-only gaming.

Windows differentiation--the myriad versions of Windows has never made any sense to me. Maybe MS can explain this better in its own retail space (or more successfully up-sell, in any case).

Touch--what's the name of that monstrous touch-table MS has? They'll showcase that thing.

As for copying Apple, that's a natural reaction to have on impulse, but I don't think it holds up or amounts to anything substantial. The store thing--as at least one other person has noted--was tried before Apple. With MS launching "My Phone," and tailoring Windows 7 from OS X measurements, one's impulse feels correct, but--to me--this is influenced by past instances of copying instead of being an appraisal based on current realities. In essence, all competition is imitation. (Don't AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile... do pretty much the same thing?) Innovations are made along the way (and they're promptly competed for). Apple has done a better job of innovating against MS for a long time. This is appreciated and people are emotional about it and the user experience they have. The sentiment is understood (especially in the context of this being an Apple website). I'm not saying it's general expression here is wrong. I guess my point with this paragraph is that I don't see any of this as a black-mark against MS; I see it as healthy competition that will make Apple even better.
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
post #107 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

You are SOOOOO right. Until now people do not have where to complain about bugs, security, vulnerability, crappy functionality, etc. Now, they will go complain in the M$ Genius "wannabe" bar (obviously they will create a genius bar of their own) - lets guess the name... any suggestions?

inGenius Bar? ZuneBar? MyBar?
post #108 of 131
"We're working hard to transform the PC and Microsoft buying experience at retail by improving the articulation and demonstration of the Microsoft innovation and value proposition"

All you have to do is read that sentence to know this is doomed to failure... What a bunch of losers. Have they ever had an original idea?
post #109 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Walk into an Apple store. See all the displays of Apple hardware executing neat Apple applications. See the demos with shoppers clustered around Apple employees, learning about all the cool things they can do with iTunes, iPods, iPhones and iMacs and MacBooks. How is MS going to demo most of its stuff? On Dells? On Lenovos? On Acers? The point is that MS is strategically weak compared with the totality of the Apple experience. Unless they have some kind of "gee whiz" experience up their sleeves, they will fail to impress shoppers.

Yeah, especially since everyone is already forced to use M$'s crappy products at work-- where's the surprise?
post #110 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

You are SOOOOO right. Until now people do not have where to complain about bugs, security, vulnerability, crappy functionality, etc. Now, they will go complain in the M$ Genius "wannabe" bar (obviously they will create a genius bar of their own) - lets guess the name... any suggestions?

inGenius Bar? ZuneBar? MyBar?

FooBar?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #111 of 131
this is finally the answer to the 'where to put the surface' problem...
post #112 of 131
Funny from Macworld ;-)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1388...oft_store.html

I just have to chime in here, whether this becomes a success or not, at this point the idea reflects very badly on MS. After impotently fighting back against the Apple Ads and mysteriously whimpering out. After Declaring that the Zune was in for the long haul and then the recent sales figures. After Balmer dissing the iPhone then telling his staff MS needs to be more Apple like - then announcing My Phone, and now this... They really do themselves a public relations disservice and don't need much help from the growing number of MS sceptics. As has been pointed out repeatedly, it would have been funny had it not been so sad.
post #113 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Even though I doubt Microsoft can pull it off, this isn't such a bad idea in that there is so much mall space available. Microsoft doesn't directly compete with typical mall stores, thus landlords will offer sweet deals just so the mall doesn't like like a ghost town. I don't think they will have free standing locations. There is also some symbolism in having these store, even if they are not profitable, just like Sony does in upscale malls and high profile locations. Think Time Square!

It's fun to bash Microsoft, but with all the money they have, there isn't much risk in opening stores at a time when rents are cheap. They need a showcase and they're bound to have a winning product eventually. Given this news I no longer intend to short sell there stock.
Cubist
Cubist
post #114 of 131
Quote:
=
Imagine a small "Office Shop" showcasing all the advantages of Office for Mac, PC, server and all solutions in a interesting "café-like" setting placed in the heart of a financial district.
People can enter, get a peak about Office, be informed about the latest innovations and then maybe also have training lessons about Office (how many users really know how to get the best out of it??). THAT IS WHAT MICROSOFT SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT...

You are a lot smarter than MS will ever be.
post #115 of 131
Ballmer == FAIL!
post #116 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

It's fun to bash Microsoft, but with all the money they have, there isn't much risk in opening stores at a time when rents are cheap.

Of course there's risk. Risk that they rent all of this space and still can't shore their sinking market share. They don't understand the direct retail experience, and they're not going to be committed to the model. This experiment will fail. And, if I were a Microsoft shareholder, I'd bitch loudly if I saw yet another misguided Ballmer attempt to be "cool like Apple" that results in a $300M writedown on cash value of the company -- just like the bizarre Seinfeld commercials.
post #117 of 131
Wow. Imagine the software selection. Windows, Office, Windows, Office, Windows, Office. They'll just alternate the boxes on the shelves. Whatever vendor they put in their for running Windows will be surely pissed. Or, they'll say, I am sorry, we don't sell computers here, we only sell software since that is all we make.
post #118 of 131
Epic fail.
post #119 of 131
Quote:

What are you SMOKING MH01?

1) Yes Apple is getting bigger.... and they've earned it
2) They don't act like Microcrap because their products ARE GOOD, WELL ENGINEERED, and I don't have to constantly dick with them like I would if I were foolish enough to use a PC on a regular basis and thank god I don't have to.

You make me want to Gag..... GO FIX your PC now !

Z

No sources mate, personal opinion.

I have been with apple for 15 years, for me apple was a company that was about Apple computers, now its about Ipods/iphones. The unibody macbooks were frankly disappointing, great if your after eye candy, but an example that apple is catering for the masses.

Anyway, I personally believe there is merit in the Microsoft stores. Interested in how it pans out.

A Mac is a PC that runs OS X. SO pull your head out, you have to deal with the same shiity hardware that a PC user gets from nvidia.
post #120 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I still don't get it... why would the best selling software company in the world get out of a successful business... are you guys morons? Really?

And what exactly are they going to sell? Windows and the xbox? My android phone is better that than POS Zune!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple