or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued for iPhone screen tech; 17-inch MacBook Pro shipping
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sued for iPhone screen tech; 17-inch MacBook Pro shipping - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Quote:
and also upgrades the display with a 60 percent wider color gamut

Can anyone explain what this means?
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

Can anyone explain what this means?

A range or set of colors is called a "gamut." Here's a graphic at Wikipedia that shows an example of an RGB gamut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CI...srgb_gamut.png)

The various RGB colorspaces (gamuts) — i.e. sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc. — contain a broader range of colors than most monitors (especially cheaper ones) are capable of displaying. (Meaning your monitor's gamut is even smaller than the sRGB gamut the Wikipedia graphic shows you.)

When your monitor is told to display a certain color that is outside of the its gamut, it will push the colors it's incapable of displaying to a different color that it IS capable of displaying. By doing this, it's showing inaccurate colors, of course.

So the new display having a 60 percent wider color gamut means it's capable of displaying 60% more colors, and therefore capable (assuming your monitor is calibrated) of displaying the sRGB or Adobe RGB colorspace more accurately. This is one reason why it makes sense for graphics professionals to spend a large chunk of cash on a high-quality monitor when you can get a crappy Dell one for $200 — because the colors you see on-screen will (more) accurately represent what will actually get printed.

Hopefully that's accurate without oversimplifying it too much. I'm sure someone will fact-check me.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Because Apple hasn't put out a Rev 1 product for at least 10 years that wasn't a POS.

Even the Apple FanBoys know this and stay away from them.

I really like my 15" MacBook Pro, unibody, not a thing wrong with it and ordered just after it was put on the store. And probably a fan boy, see no reason not to like Apple, I enjoy using their products.
post #44 of 71
@ MacOldTimer,

You are one sad, pathetic, bitter old troll. Please run--don't walk--to your nearest therapist and try to find out which of your parents beat you unconscious as a child.

If Apple doesn't live up to your personal standards of product quality and reliability, GO ELSEWHERE! Buy a Dell or a Gateway! Get a WinMob phone and use the hell out of it! Stick a Zune in your ear (or somewhere else where the sun doesn't shine), and be happy!

But whatever you do, STFU and try to find some joy in life!
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSegV View Post

Just curious when you placed your order and whether you customized it at all (ie. upgraded proc, mem, etc.). I placed my order just before 3PM EST on Jan 6th and upgraded the cpu and disk drive. After the ship date changed on Feb 4th (my original ship date) to Feb 19th, there has been no further change. I'm trying to gauge for myself whether my mbp might actually ship earlier than currently indicated or if one of the upgrades might be the reason for the delay. I would appreciate any info you are willing to share. Thanks.

I ordered originally on Jan 6th. Order ack came in on Jan 6th at 1:49pm USA EST.
Processor\t065-8136\t2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory\t065-8141\t8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2X4GB
Hard Drive\t065-8140\t320GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm
Optical Drive\t065-8145\tSuperDrive 8X
Display\t065-8645\tDISPLAY-HI RES, Widescreen
Original ship date was Feb 19th (due to matt display)
I called the next day and changed display to regular. They have me $50 refund notification, and told me new ship date was Feb 5th. Currently Fedex are claiming Feb 18th on my dock (not Monday :-(
Hope yours arrives in timely fashion.
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I put up with enough bullshit from Apple for the iPhone & 3G iPhone's I own which hasn't been stable since firmware 1.1.4

May I ask what you use your iPhone for? I've been carrying one around, supplied by my employer, since last September and it has only locked up once. Safari crashed roughly a dozen times until the last update but beyond that, there are no serious issues with stability. I hear this stability complaint from time to time but experience no problems myself.
post #47 of 71
Macoldtimer:

You can picture him now,

A sad old man, he feels the world has turned against him and now hates everything.

Not content with just sitting quietly in his corner stewing in his own malignancy, he trolls the forums spewing forth his corruption.

Perhaps his wife left him for the milkman or perhaps he suffers from penile disfunction? Maybe he should get out more, catch some rays, pop a viagra or just lighten up.

Chillax old dude.
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSegV View Post

Just curious when you placed your order and whether you customized it at all (ie. upgraded proc, mem, etc.). I placed my order just before 3PM EST on Jan 6th and upgraded the cpu and disk drive. After the ship date changed on Feb 4th (my original ship date) to Feb 19th, there has been no further change. I'm trying to gauge for myself whether my mbp might actually ship earlier than currently indicated or if one of the upgrades might be the reason for the delay. I would appreciate any info you are willing to share. Thanks.

SigSegV,

I am in a similar situation, upgraded to 2.93 GHz and 320 MB 7200 rpm drive. Called Apple and still my shipment date is Feb.19. Checked Apple discussions forum and it seems that Apple is shipping standard configs and custom orders at the same time. It seems that your and mine order is somewhere on the assembly line.
post #49 of 71
I will save you :

yes, I smell TROLL here. sad people always bitching, believing everything is perfect or mighty BAthe

and of course the stupid myth about "rev A" (hint : the new mba is not a rev B. it is a new rev "a", because of all the internal changes, it's always revA )

-
yes, pure software patent are frivolous and a pain in the ass. this new suing smell frivolous as well.


-
Apple suing for a software patent is WRONG
apple sued for a software patent is WRONG
Apple suing because of COPYRIGHT is FINE
Apple sued because of copyright is FINE

apple suing for a patent involving HARDWARE and Software is FINE
apple sued for a patent involving HARDWARE and Software is FINE


it's that simple.

good night.
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Because Apple hasn't put out a Rev 1 product for at least 10 years that wasn't a POS.

Even the Apple FanBoys know this and stay away from them.

I'll give it until next Friday before AI has the first report of problems.

Your obvious ignorance is apparent. Have rev 1 Mac Pro and it is the best Mac desktop computer they have ever built.
post #51 of 71
Just how dumb can we be.

Out of the 50 previous posts, one, self-admittedly aged, troll has taken the majority of this site with 6 of his own followed by 21 follow-up commentaries.

One wonders if we didn't respond to this guy, whether his diatribe would have affected the current 54% of the postings that he has managed to command up to now.

Do we really want him to continue, or are we so masochistic that we enjoy and would miss his lashings if we just ignored him?

I vote to ignore.
post #52 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuess View Post

I have never once had a Rev1 product turn out to be a POS.

Okay, well here's my direct experience (your mileage may vary).

The bad...

MacBook Pro (original): Major overheating problems which were fixed by a firmware update which underclocked the graphics card. Yes the system was finally stable but you were left with a laptop that didn't deliver the advertised speed.

MacBook (original): Widespread problem where the plastics would discolour - never really fixed?

Mac Pro: On launch, no where near as fast as Apple claimed. Thanks to adoption of FB-DIMMs, no memory upgrades available for some time after launch (with Apple's super-expensive parts suspiciously being the only components on offer). Several major problems with the Rosetta emulation software, including a massive memory hole and the inability to type exact decimal values into applications like Adobe CS2. As a result, on launch, the Mac Pro couldn't run several existing pro applications at all, nevermind being twice as fast as the machine it replaced. Several months wait before software was released which provided any real-world speed gains over the outgoing Power Mac G5 Quad. It's a super stable platform now, but lets not forget that at launch it was an absolute nightmare.

Apple Cinema HD Display 23-inch (aluminium): widespread pink colour temperature problems. Very uneven backlights. A bit of a lottery trying to find dcent units. I must have had about a dozen of these displays in the last few years. When you get a good however, they are really good!

Apple Cinema HD Display 30-inch (aluminium): Widespread 'dancing pixels' problem. I had four of these displays and Apple ended up giving me a full refund plus expenses because they couldn't fix the problem. I purchased another of these displays recently, and touch wood, it's appears to be fine now.

MacBook Air (original): Again, overheating problems. Again, fixed by a firmware update that drastically underclocks the MBA at the first signs of overheating. Some users report the second core simply not functioning.

Unibody MacBook/MacBook Air/MacBook Pro: Problems driving external DVI displays. MacBook Pro overheating and locking up. History might suggest that Apple will simply fix the problem by underclocking everything (again). Wide disparity in MacBook screen quality again, a bit of a lottery!

iPhone/iPhone 3G: extremely unreliable, with Apples own applications crashing frequently. I concur with the comment about anything after 1.1.4 being a complete 'goatfuck'. iPhone 3G doesn't provide any real world speed gains over the original iPhone (in my experience).

The good...

Mac Mini: A great wee machine.

iMac (aluminium): Seems to work exactly as advertised and except for the glassy-glossy screen issue it appears to be a stellar consumer machine.

Mac Pros: Perhaps a machine that was released a bit ahead of its time, but now that everything has settled down the Mac Pro has proven itself to be an exemplary machine!

LED Cinema Display: Again, apart from concerns over just how glossy the screen is, this product appears to be rock-solid.



So I would venture that MacOldTimer is not so much a Troll as an experienced Mac user. You won't find many experienced Mac users these days who aren't a little sceptical!

Here's hoping that the new unibody 17" MacBook Pro is another great product. But like MacOldTimer, I won't be surprised if problems start to surface!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

So I would venture that MacOldTimer is not so much a Troll as an experienced Mac user. You won't find many experienced Mac users these days who aren't a little sceptical!

Here's hoping that the new unibody 17" MacBook Pro is another great product. But like MacOldTimer, I won't be surprised if problems start to surface!

Besides the fact that all CE are subject to such issues, there is a major difference between stating that you should never purchase a Rev 1 product from Apple and waiting a few weeks to see if any firmware issues surface.

Also, one should wait to buy new tech if you want additional RAM, don't wish to buy from Apple due to pricing, and 3rd-parties having started producing the modules yet. That is just poor research on the buyer to expect that the Xeon's in the Mac Pro had tonnes of 3-party vendors selling RAM. This isn't an issue with most of Apple's Macs because they have to come a little later tot eh game due to the excessive amount of product they require for each chip from Intel.

As for MacOldTimer's being a troll or "an experienced Mac user", the proof is in the pudding. You pointed out both the pros and cons, yet I have read nothing from him that suggests anything positive or balanced. I would defend some of statements as if he actually has had some very bad luck, but he states his opinions as absolute fact and gets belligerent when you disagree. I call that trollish.

PS: The iPhone was buggy with v2.0, but by 2.1 had become stable. That did take an excruciating long 2 months and 1 day to get there. Safari crashed so much that you couldn't even reply to forums like this without fear of it crashing. The release of the 3G iPhone, iPhone OS X v2.0, MobileMe and the App Store all at once was a major problem, but every SW and HW release since then Apple has staggered. I only had issues with MM for the first few day (by Monday it was fine in every regard) yet I got an extra 90 days and people still frequently comment about how it still doesn't work. That loss of revenue and the stigma of a bad launch may shown Apple that they can no longer operate like a boutique vendor. Here's hoping they have actually learned a hard lesson.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 71
This is mostly lies and trolling. Apple products are not always perfect, (how could they be), but the quality is far better than is described here. clearly this person has a huge axe to grind and is possibly MacOldtimer himself judging by the writing.

In particular he is just mentioning every single problem that a rev 1 product from Apple ever had as if he personally had these problems himself I find unlikely in the extreme. He is mot likely just a cranky tech support guy listing out every problem he has seen across his desk in the last ten years.

I've been using Mac products at least as long and dealing with the repairs as well in a tech support situation and I can tell you that this post strongly misrepresents reality. The odds of one single person experiencing every single possible problem with every possible Apple product is slim to none.

He also says things that are just not true like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Mac Pro: On launch, no where near as fast as Apple claimed.

Apple always posts stats of speed tests on the main page of the product, they are not lies, they don't claim stuff that the machine can't do and it would be illegal if they did. They would be easily sued by someone who did not get that same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

MacBook Air (original): Again, overheating problems. Again, fixed by a firmware update that drastically underclocks the MBA at the first signs of overheating. Some users report the second core simply not functioning.

I have a rev. 1 MacBook Air as do several friends and workers and although I have heard some reports of this in the media I have yet to see a single one that had the problem. The idea that they "drastically under-clocked it" to solve the problem is a wild exaggeration of what they actually did, and again shows you this guys severe bias.

Here's another example of bias:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

iPhone/iPhone 3G: extremely unreliable, with Apples own applications crashing frequently. I concur with the comment about anything after 1.1.4 being a complete 'goatfuck'. iPhone 3G doesn't provide any real world speed gains over the original iPhone (in my experience).

This is patently ridiculous. The speed gains of the 3G iPhone are well documented by various second and third hand sources and again he uses wild exaggeration instead of simply stating the facts. "extremely unreliable"??? not true. Apple's own applications crashing "frequently"??? Not true.

I've already wasted too much time on this tripe, but the only thing he is right about is that rev. 1. products are a little more prone to having small flaws than others. This is true of all products from all manufacturers isn't it? Apple overall is better at this than any other computer manufacturer you can name, and the overall quality of Apple products is far higher than the rest also.

What this guy fails to mention also is that all these problems were fixed by Apple to the customers satisfaction and that Apple has the best customer service policies you are likely to run into in the computer world also. All these "problem products" were gladly taken back by Apple when the customer complained and replaced with brand new ones, sometimes several times over until the customer got one that worked to expectations and was satisfied.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Unibody MacBook/MacBook Air/MacBook Pro: Problems driving external DVI displays. MacBook Pro overheating and locking up. History might suggest that Apple will simply fix the problem by underclocking everything (again). Wide disparity in MacBook screen quality again, a bit of a lottery!

Yeah, my Unibody MacBook Pro suffers from the black screen of death under Windows XP regurarly when starting a resource intensive game despite Apple having released a firmware update which allegedly fixed the problem. Thank god that due to special university rebates I paid less than half the local retail price but I pity anybody who bought this model for full price and hopes to play games on it. Well, there's probably still hope as the crashes get less frequent after some time, indicating that the firmware is too conservative when increasing the fan speed, so this *should* be fixable with an additional firmware update.

I'm still baffled though how this could have not been noticed by QA before release, provided that Apple has one at all. :-/
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The problem with you, Teckstud and your ilk is that you state your opinion as a fact and somehow convince yourself that it must be true because of it. You also never point out any of the pros of, well, anything. Everything has its pros and cons. If you paid attention to all the posters you attack as "fanboys" when you are losing a logical argument you would see that they point pros and cons, while stating their opinions as opinions and often avoiding absolutes, woe-is-me comments and "applecolyptic" statements about how the company is headed for disaster.

Could you try being balanced, fair and logical, or is "the sky is falling" all you know?

edit: Here is an example of how your post could have sounded more intelligent, logical, balanced and less hostile.
MacOldTimer: "Because Apple hasn't put out a Rev 1 product for at least 10 years that wasn't a POS."
RationalPoster: "I can't recall an Apple product in the last decade that didn't have major Rev 1 issues."
Difference: You still state your opinion as you know it to be true, but it is no longer an absolute statement of fact that isn't up for discussion.

MacOldTimer: "Even the Apple FanBoys know this and stay away from them.
RationalPoster: "I recall reading--on these very forums--that many Mac faithfuls also avoid Macs with too many new components."
Difference: You avoid the slanted "fanboy" comment that clearly doesn't help your argument. Note: Many people, avoid any new CE right out of the gate, not just from Apple. I have a unibody MB,but I waited a couple weeks to see if there were any issues with the Nvidia chips before buying. It's still Rev 1, mind you.

MacOldTimer: "I'll give it until next Friday before AI has the first report of problems."
RationalPoster: "Based on my recollection of previous releases, I expect that if there are any HW issues with these new Mac notebooks, we should know about them within a week of them being received."
Difference: You have an unproven conjecture of what you think will occur based on your perception of the past.
PS: My lifesized Steve doll is not made be Apple. My mother made it for me.

You write such a pathetic, vindictive diatribe and I have a problem!!
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I ordered a glossy. Originally ordered the matte, but then when I noticed the matte screen looked like a kluge i changed my order.

Too bad we couldn't have a hybrid screen option but alas Sony has that patent. I guess its not a perfect world except for solopism and his ilk.
post #58 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You write such a pathetic, vindictive diatribe and I have a problem!!

Labelling his comment as pathetic and vindictive diatribe seems unjust and hypocritical considering you just did the same thing.

Can we stop this childish nonsense now? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including MacOldTimer and Solipsism. All this ganging up on one or two posters reminds of five-year-olds in a playground.

C'mon guys...
post #59 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just how dumb can we be.

Out of the 50 previous posts, one, self-admittedly aged, troll has taken the majority of this site with 6 of his own followed by 21 follow-up commentaries.

One wonders if we didn't respond to this guy, whether his diatribe would have affected the current 54% of the postings that he has managed to command up to now.

Do we really want him to continue, or are we so masochistic that we enjoy and would miss his lashings if we just ignored him?

I vote to ignore.

Sometimes folks start reading from start and reply to something before reading several pages, I know I am guilty of this. If I had read on first i would not have responded as probably many others wouldn't have. It's the nature of blogs that the early comments tend to keep getting replied to I guess.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too bad you couldn't have a hybrid screen option but alas Sony has that patent. I guess its not a prefect world except for solopism and his ilk.

Excuse me for commenting on your comment, but 'Solipsism' is one of the most sensible posters on this blog. Can we lighten up here?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sometimes folks start reading from start and reply to something before reading several pages, I know I am guilty of this. If I had read on first i would not have responded as probably many others wouldn't have. It's the nature of blogs that the early comments tend to keep getting replied to I guess.

I made a mention to MacOldTimer that such arguing mucks up the forums, but I continued to reply anyway. I wish I had read Abster's post sooner.

He is now sitting with Teckstud in my ignore list. Too bad the ignore list doesn't work when their posts are quoted by others.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Excuse me for commenting on your comment, but 'Solipsism' is one of the most sensible posters on this blog. Can we lighten up here?

Surely you jest. Have you actually read his past posts-like that Nazi Polish joke he posted then removed due to pressure? Was that sensible? Talk to him- not me. He always pops out of the woodwork and posts angry messages to anyone who disagree on anything related to/from Apple even he he hasn't post anything on the related topic. Other than that he is very knowledgeable when he stays on topic, that I will grant you.
post #63 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He is now sitting with Teckstud in my ignore list. Too bad the ignore list doesn't work when their posts are quoted by others.

Stop posting my name dude aleady- It's getting to be harassment of a perverted sort.
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just how dumb can we be.

Out of the 50 previous posts, one, self-admittedly aged, troll has taken the majority of this site with 6 of his own followed by 21 follow-up commentaries.

One wonders if we didn't respond to this guy, whether his diatribe would have affected the current 54% of the postings that he has managed to command up to now.

Do we really want him to continue, or are we so masochistic that we enjoy and would miss his lashings if we just ignored him?

I vote to ignore.

Wow- now that was insightful to the topic. Somewhere I didn't read that AI is an abbreviation for Abster2Core Insider.
We'll just ignore YOU.
post #65 of 71
I took the time to register here for no other reason than to add teckstud to my ignore list. Just imagine having to work with a person in real life who chooses the name "teckstud." I'm sure a lot of coworkers wish they could add him to their personal ignore list.

All that having been said, I'll wait and see if the suit against Apple has any veracity before concluding that they've infringed on a patent. And I can't afford one of the new 17 inchers, so I'll have to wait and see how the "rev 1" works out for that, in any case.
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I made a mention to MacOldTimer that such arguing mucks up the forums, but I continued to reply anyway. I wish I had read Abster's post sooner.
He is now sitting with Teckstud in my ignore list. Too bad the ignore list doesn't work when their posts are quoted by others.

Great tip.

A few steps to make AppleInsider a better place:
----------------------------------------
1. Click "User CP" (as in User Control Panel, above to the left)
2. Click "Edit Ignore List" (to the left, under "Settings & Options")
3. Type "Teckstud" into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.
4. Type "MacOldTimer" into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.
post #67 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is mostly lies and trolling.

Okay, so mostly means that you accept that there is some truth in there. Care to divide the remaining points up between lies and trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Apple products are not always perfect, (how could they be),

So we can agree that Apple products aren't always perfect. Which is in effect what MacOldTimer was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

but the quality is far better than is described here.

Is that from personal experience? Have you owned Rev. A. examples of all the hardware detailed in my post? Because unlike you, I'm basing the majority of that post on first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

clearly this person has a huge axe to grind and is possibly MacOldtimer himself judging by the writing.

Please.

Actually, if you care to read my previous posts, you'll see that I have indeed owned most of the equipment detailed in my post, and that I have suffered directly from the problems outlined. You'll find multiple posts relating to each problem, some of them dating back years. If you care to look.

I personally make a point of owning every machine in Apple's line-up (at some point or other). It drives my wife crazy. As a professional, who relies on Apple kit to earn his living, and who consults, advises and specs kit for other professionals, it pays to check out all the products and avoid any issues BEFORE I have to rely on the respective kit in a production environment.

The only machines that I haven't tested first hand (yet) are the new unibody MacBook & MacBook Air. I didn't personally suffer from the problems that I outlined with the early unibody MacBook Pro because I only had it for a few days before returning it. I'm not going to go into the reasons for returning it here, but again, you can find the reasons in my earlier posts.

Every other problem that I detail in my OP, I have experienced first hand.

So, to clarify my point for all you gag-reflex-Apple-apologists who are incapable of independent thought: Apple has indeed released some lemons in the past. The problems are well documented. Ignoring the historical data, and denying that these problems ever existed, is simply ignorance. If you care to look, I'm sure you'll find some evidence on the tinternet.

Yes, generally the problems are ironed out in time. Thank God. But, still, Apple does appear to subscribe to the ship-it-now, patch-it-later philosophy. MacOldTimer is quite right in saying that there will probably be issues with the new 17"er.

Oh, and some advice from an experienced Mac user, now's the time to start looking for some real bargains on the outgoing 17" model the primary benefit being that this model is mature hardware and all the problems have been well and truely ironed out.

Oh and by the way, I still want you to go through my original post and highlight which areas you think are lies. Knock yourself out, fella!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post

I took the time to register here for no other reason than to add teckstud to my ignore list. Just imagine having to work with a person in real life who chooses the name "teckstud." I'm sure a lot of coworkers wish they could add him to their personal ignore list.


OK, thats funny...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Okay, well here's my direct experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

O Because unlike you, I'm basing the majority of that post on first hand experience.


Is this a backpedal?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

So we can agree that Apple products aren't always perfect. Which is in effect what MacOldTimer was saying.

No. He said that *every* Mac product sucks (although especially Rev A/1).
Ergo a Troll.

You, on the other hand, brought up real cases - which is fine.
There is no denying that Apple have had their share of bad products, but most Apple stuff "just works".

---

I have several Rev A, and somehow I have managed to avoid lemons - from the Macintosh 128k onwards.
I have an iPod v1. Works like a charm.
My Pismo v1 died a couple of weeks ago. Before that, no real issues.
My PB G4 17" v1 had troubles with heat: it burned a circuit that controlled screen lighing - we soldered in a new IC from a dead PB G4 12" and it's working fine.
etc.

Hopefully my new PB 17" will arrive soon - and without any issues.
post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

How do you know it's frivolous?

Why is it frivolous?

This is how the Commodore 64 and other tile-based graphics computers of the 80s and 90s performed scrolling.

They didn't do any memory copying (as per the patent), they drew onto the newly uncovered area of the screen (as per the patent, arguably even more advanced because the computers had off-screen areas of tile to load into before the scroll) and so on. They rendered the tiles from a tile cache (the graphical characters or bitmaps), as per the patent. They could smooth scroll (by scrolling by fractions of the tile's width or height). It was handled in hardware, not software, but that's because modern computers are more advanced.

The entire concept is trivial. There is no way they spent millions developing it. You get any software engineer, posit the problem, and they'll come up with a similar solution.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued for iPhone screen tech; 17-inch MacBook Pro shipping