or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MHz doesn't matter, neccessarily (AthXP, P4, G4 Apollo, The Naked Mole Rat, etc.)

MHz doesn't matter, neccessarily (AthXP, P4, G4 Apollo, The Naked Mole Rat, etc.) - Page 2

post #41 of 48
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>Well SCSI drives will usually always outperform an ATA drive whether its ATA/66 or 100 or whatever.

anyone know why seek times on ATA drives are so slow compared to SCSI? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Because they are cheap drives?

[quote]
<strong>and is it possible to make a 10,000 RPM ATA drive?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's possible, but the ATA market won't bear those prices, whereas the SCSI market will.
post #42 of 48
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

why was it unfair? what are they supposed to do? write their own OS X native copy of the software titles? it's not their fault they only had OS 9 titles available.

and MP is not all that bad in OS 9 especially in FCP, PS, and several other pro apps that use it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why was it unfair, you ask? Because people buy Macs to edit video. They don't buy them to run Premiere 6.0 or any other specific version of a specific app. They buy Macs to get a job done and the tool to do it is largely inconsequential unless it has a horrid and hindering interface or prohibitively expensive.

Let's see them throw some OS X, FCP 3 numbers (especially with the real-time effects) into the mix and see what happens.
post #43 of 48
[quote]Originally posted by Kevin Hayes:
<strong>

Why was it unfair, you ask? Because people buy Macs to edit video. They don't buy them to run Premiere 6.0 or any other specific version of a specific app. They buy Macs to get a job done and the tool to do it is largely inconsequential unless it has a horrid and hindering interface or prohibitively expensive.

Let's see them throw some OS X, FCP 3 numbers (especially with the real-time effects) into the mix and see what happens.</strong><hr></blockquote>

and performance is not something they look for?

quit the mac blindness. it's just dumb. the mac got its ass kicked. accept it
post #44 of 48
I think it'd be very interesting to see these tests redone after we get the new PM's and/or when all these apps are available for OS X.
post #45 of 48
[quote]Originally posted by X704:
<strong>I think it'd be very interesting to see these tests redone after we get the new PM's and/or when all these apps are available for OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed.
post #46 of 48
What x704 said. yup, yup. It's gonna be a good year to own a mac.

SdC
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #47 of 48
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #48 of 48
s'funny: everything the geek specs out for the G5 are G4 Apollo specs.

SdC
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MHz doesn't matter, neccessarily (AthXP, P4, G4 Apollo, The Naked Mole Rat, etc.)