or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone dominates Mobile World Congress 2009 without Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone dominates Mobile World Congress 2009 without Apple

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
While reports have suggested that Apple may attend next year's CES to "sit amongst its competition" in consumer electronics, the company has elected not to attend the GSMA Mobile World Congress being held in Barcelona this week. That hasn't stopped the iPhone from dominating talk at the mobile conference.

Journalists seem to find it hard to cover any news coming out of the event without mentioning Apple's smartphone by name as a point of reference, even when the announcements seemingly have nothing to do with Apple.

Skype's new bundling deals with handset makers Nokia and Sony Ericsson were nearly dismissed for being irrelevant because the addition of VoIP applications would only make their phones less attractive to the US mobile providers who control what units are sold here. The exception cited by reports is Apple's iPhone, which negotiated the availability VoIP over WiFi without losing AT&T's blessing or subsidy.

The announcement of Cisco's new WebEx software for modern BlackBerry, Nokia, and Samsung models also had to point out that the iPhone 3G had already gained those features via an earlier software release.

Nokia's unveiling of its Ovi software store and Microsoft's announcement of its plans to open SkyMarket later this year both required comparisons to Apple's barn storming iPhone App Store, which has already moved a half billion apps since it opened last year.

Similarly, Sony Ericsson's announcement of MediaGo, a new service that will enable users to upload full length movies to specific models of the company's phones via a PC, required comparison to the iPhone's integration with iTunes, which has been able to do that since it first appeared in 2007. MediaGo transcodes various videos into a format that will playback well on mobile devices, avoiding phone compatibility errors such as "incompatible format," "unsuitable frame rate," or "incorrect aspect ratio." iPhone users don't ever see those errors because Apple thought to specify a standardized, optimized video format for the iPhone: H.264; iTunes doesn't allow incompatible video formats to be loaded onto the iPhone without first passing through QuickTime for transcoding.

The next release of Microsoft's Windows Mobile 6.5, planned for the end of 2009, as well as the introduction of new devices planned to run it, including new models from LG, also required comparisons with the features already present in the iPhone OS.

The Mobile World Congress seems to serve as a worldwide report card outlining how well the iPhone's competitors (apart from Google's largely MIA Android) are doing in their efforts to catch up to Apple.

Speak software and carry a big schtick

Apple's conspicuous absence from the annual mobile conference should come as no surprise. While the company achieved spectacular sales figures at the launch of the iPhone 3G, Apple is still a small newcomer in the mobile industry and guards its public announcements carefully.

Much of the recent attention related to the iPhone has stemmed from the company's ability to implement the first very successful mobile software store, resulting in thousands of apps that turn the iPhone into anything that third party developers can imagine. While other mobile platforms claim larger software libraries, they can't claim games from top tier developers, nor similar flocks of attention from other mobile programmers attracted to the revenues Apple's secured store is collecting to fuel new development.

Apple also leverages its ability to whip up excitement among consumers to gain media attention right at the moment its new hardware releases are ready. That affords the company far more visibility than if it were to regularly issue piecemeal details on upcoming hardware releases.

With the third major revision to the iPhone expected in June, any announcements made this week by Apple would likely result in only dampening interest in the current model while robbing the company of any element of surprise once the next revision is ready to hit the market. Apple's dramatic releases provide the company with surges of attention right when it helps the company most.

Despite representing just 1% of the global market for all mobile phones, Apple briefly became the third-largest mobile phone supplier in terms of revenue during the company's fiscal fourth quarter of 2008.

That peak in sales at the launch of the iPhone 3G also gave Apple over 17% of the worldwide smartphone market according to Canalys, eclipsing even red hot RIM in unit shipments worldwide. It also pushed Apple over its goal (well ahead of schedule) of selling ten million units in its second year, something many analysts were expressing doubts about the company meeting even as late as early 2007.
post #2 of 40
from what I've seen coming out of this event, the claim that Jobs made about the iPhone being 5 years ahead of everyone else seems to be pretty accurate, there is nothing from that event that is impressing me at all.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Journalists seem to find it hard to cover any news coming out of the event without mentioning Apple's smartphone by name as a point of reference, even when the announcements seemingly have nothing to do with Apple.

In the American press, certainly. Around the world? Not so much.

Quote:
While other mobile platforms claim larger software libraries, they can't claim games from top tier developers

As much as it's derided, Nokia's N-Gage games platform does have top tier companies developing for it. Check out Metal Gear Solid from Konami, for example. The reports out of Nokia suggest that the N-Gage platform is a very profitable business for Nokia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

from what I've seen coming out of this event, the claim that Jobs made about the iPhone being 5 years ahead of everyone else seems to be pretty accurate, there is nothing from that event that is impressing me at all.

I don't know. I still think that the Palm Pre looks interesting (especially the GSM version shown at WMC) and the Samsung Omnia HD looks very interesting too. Apple still has a lead in apps and overall UI design, but that lead is being eroded - especially when other phones have better displays and better hardware.
post #4 of 40
Check out the SE Idou.
post #5 of 40
[ed: OK, Let's not let this get out of hand any more]
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple still has a lead in apps and overall UI design, but that lead is being eroded - especially when other phones have better displays and better hardware.

I concur, the competition is catching up. The next iPhone must do something pretty impressive to pull away into the lead.
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

[...] software that will automatically re-encode your video for you and then sync it to your device?

You don't have to convert videos manually. This is exactly what iTunes does: it will re-encode for you and sync automatically to the iPhone or iPod. No hassles.


Cheers,
_iCeb0x_
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't know. I still think that the Palm Pre looks interesting (especially the GSM version shown at WMC) and the Samsung Omnia HD looks very interesting too. Apple still has a lead in apps and overall UI design, but that lead is being eroded - especially when other phones have better displays and better hardware.

When you compare a phone released in July 2008 to phones to be released around May 2009 (Pre) or later, surely the lead will look like it's being eroded. But do you know what Apple will release in July 2009 (which will be before the release of most of the phones being announced this week)?

As for the Omnia, it's been around for as long as iPhone 3G, though mostly in Asia and Europe, but has garnered much less in sales and interest. It does have a longer list of features than iPhone, but in the same way as happened with the iPod, it's not having the longest list of features that will win out in consumer electronics, but having the best overall experience (i.e., most important features integrated together, and ease-of-use).
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

When you compare a phone released in July 2008 to phones to be released around May 2009 (Pre) or later, surely the lead will look like it's being eroded. But do you know what Apple will release in July 2009 (which will be before the release of most of the phones being announced this week)?

No-one outside of Cupertino knows what the next iPhone will look like. I'm sure it will raise the bar once again. However, it's impossible to compare these new phones against something that hasn't been even announced yet.

Quote:
As for the Omnia, it's been around for as long as iPhone 3G, though mostly in Asia and Europe, but has garnered much less in sales and interest.

The one announced at WMC is the Omnia HD, not the standard Omnia. It's a different kettle of fish completely. Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Check out the SE Idou.

I like the Xenon flash. Not so keen on the lack of a 3.5mm headphone socket.
post #10 of 40
My wife and I can spend 2 weeks at a 5 star all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean, buy a new 10 megapixel camera and wardrobe for the trip... for the same price Rogers wants for an iPhone.

The iPhone just doesn't make sense up here in Canada.
3 years is just way too long of a contract. It's almost like financing a car ffs

All these smart phones have the same problem... the carriers. I think that most people who need or can afford a smart phone, already have one. Rim for business, iPhone for wealthy consumer.
Until the price comes down a lot, I can't see all these other companies having a whole lot of success. Especially with these market conditions.
There might be room for 1 more consumer level iPhone clone that's not Apple, but not another 10 or 15.
I think Apple got in at the right time. The others are going to struggle quite hard. Even RIM is posting loss's.

As for the iPhone success here in Canada...
It's not the price of the iPhone, it's the $4000 - $5000 contract that ties you to the phone, and the inflexible and crappy service the carrier provides. The crazy restrictions and limitations don't help either.

I've seen quite a bit of 'buyers remorse' up here with the iPhone. After the initial fad and excitement has worn off, people are realizing they didn't really need one, and are bummed they are stuck for another 2-3 years with the bill.
New app's from the store will hopefully keep their interest renewed, as a few people who i've talked to said they wouldn't sign again under the same conditions.

Microsoft is getting it right by copying the App store. How on earth is Palm going to compete?
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple still has a lead in apps and overall UI design, but that lead is being eroded - especially when other phones have better displays and better hardware.

You mean not yet released phones?!
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

My wife and I can spend 2 weeks at a 5 star all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean, buy a new 10 megapixel camera and wardrobe for the trip... for the same price Rogers wants for an iPhone.

The iPhone just doesn't make sense up here in Canada.
3 years is just way too long of a contract. It's almost like financing a car ffs

.......................

As for the iPhone success here in Canada...
It's not the price of the iPhone, it's the $4000 - $5000 contract that ties you to the phone, and the inflexible and crappy service the carrier provides. The crazy restrictions and limitations don't help either.

I've seen quite a bit of 'buyers remorse' up here with the iPhone. After the initial fad and excitement has worn off, people are realizing they didn't really need one, and are bummed they are stuck for another 2-3 years with the bill.
New app's from the store will hopefully keep their interest renewed, as a few people who i've talked to said they wouldn't sign again under the same conditions.

I agree that the 3 year term contract is excessive in principal. It shouldn't be that way but unfortunately Rogers holds all the cards on that one. If there were another carrier that could sell the iPhone perhaps things would have been different.

I do have to call you out on your issue of the rates however. It bothers me to hear people throwing out those multi thousand dollar numbers like that's how much your paying for the phone, because you're not. That's how much you're paying for a service... over 3 years. That is an important distinction. The statement you made could be said about Cable or satellite service, or a home alarm system, or your ISP. Even the cheapest phone with a $30/mo contract will cost you over a thousand dollars in 3 years. And the iPhone IS NOT a basic phone. It isn't for everyone and not everyone needs one. People who don't do their research before they sign to a 3 year contract and drop $199-$299 will get no sympathy from me.

It makes little to no sense for a kid in high-school to have an iPhone. It might not make sense for you to have an iPhone. I love mine, for business and personal use. It makes sense for a segment of the market, and you're right- it's the smartphone segment. And why shouldn't it be... it IS a smartphone. I don't know why some people think that high end products should be cheap enough for everyone. When has Apple EVER played in that market space?
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

No-one outside of Cupertino knows what the next iPhone will look like. I'm sure it will raise the bar once again. However, it's impossible to compare these new phones against something that hasn't been even announced yet.

All I'm saying is that your phrase "the lead is being eroded" is misleading. It assumes that Apple is standing still, when Apple is actually still moving forward, altho we can't yet see where they've gone.

Last Feb, people were saying "Apple's lead is being eroded" as more smartphones were announced as having a touchscreen UI with icons. But while they were busy working on getting those models out, Apple was secretly getting its SDK and AppStore process/infrastructure ready.

And thanks for the pointer on the Omnia HD.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #14 of 40
That's how cool the iPhone is that it doesn't have to attend these parties, yet be the reason of all the talks.=)
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I do have to call you out on your issue of the rates however. It bothers me to hear people throwing out those multi thousand dollar numbers like that's how much your paying for the phone, because you're not. That's how much you're paying for a service... over 3 years. That is an important distinction. The statement you made could be said about Cable or satellite service, or a home alarm system, or your ISP. Even the cheapest phone with a $30/mo contract will cost you over a thousand dollars in 3 years.

But that is the point, you can't get one unless your willing to sign a contract for $5000 worth of debt to a company. What if you no longer require the service? or your phone gets stolen? You still have to pay your debt.
I have cable and high speed internet, but guess what, I can cancel them at any time. No contract.
I also have a home land-line phone, with no contract.
I don't have a contract for my power or heat either.
I don't have a contract with my barber, waitress, car wash, dentist, dry cleaner, post office etc... yet these are all services that cost money over years, but I'm not in DEBT to them for 3 years.

The phone DOES cost 4 to 5 thousand dollars, because you have to pay that to get your hands on one. The service is a secondary thought. If you wanted one to use as a paper weight only, you still have to pay thousands for the phone.
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

All I'm saying is that your phrase "the lead is being eroded" is misleading. It assumes that Apple is standing still, when Apple is actually still moving forward, altho we can't yet see where they've gone.

Last Feb, people were saying "Apple's lead is being eroded" as more smartphones were announced as having a touchscreen UI with icons. But while they were busy working on getting those models out, Apple was secretly getting its SDK and AppStore process/infrastructure ready.

And thanks for the pointer on the Omnia HD.

Apple's lead APPEARS to be eroded by new hardware that is being put on new smartphones. I mean, eight-megapixel cameras for crissakes and AMOLED displays. I think some handset has a 1 GHz processor and plenty of them will have 32 GB microSD slots. Sure we know that these are state of the art smartphones that haven't even gone into production, but feature-wise, they seem very impressive on that basis alone. These are all different products and I doubt one product combines all these features. And even if they did, they'd be too expensive for most people to buy.

The iPhone may still have an edge in UI but it does appear that the hardware edge is gone. A good handset is still important for usability. It's just that most of the competitors are throwing hardware feature after feature at the iPhone. Moving fancy icons around on a screen with your fingers isn't that much better than a standard menu if it doesn't make any sense to the user. Flick, flick, swipe, see, just like the iPhone.

I'm interested to see exactly how Apple is going to keep its edge over competitors. Will the iPhone have to offer a unique feature that no other handset has or will it just be a perfect combination of user interface and slightly improved hardware.

Users brains will really have to take a leap just to use many these high-performance handsets. I personally don't think their average user brains are up to it.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox_br View Post

You don't have to convert videos manually. This is exactly what iTunes does: it will re-encode for you and sync automatically to the iPhone or iPod. No hassles.


Cheers,
_iCeb0x_

Please explain how it does that? I'm honestly not aware of such a feature. I believe you can right-click a video file and tell it to convert, but it doesn't do anything automatically as far as I'm aware.
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Wow, that's some fanboyish sh*t!!!

So Apple's video syncing is better because it won't even load a video if it's not the right format? And to get it into the proper format, you have to manually convert it via Quicktime (that's of course assuming it's one of the few formats Quicktime will properly re-encode) or (more likely) some better video conversion softare. That's better than software that will automatically re-encode your video for you and then sync it to your device? Yeah, um, okay. Please step out of the RDF before writing your articles...

I'm a fanboy, but from what i've heard so far i'm throwing the points to caliminius on this one.
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

But that is the point, you can't get one unless your willing to sign a contract for $5000 worth of debt to a company. What if you no longer require the service? or your phone gets stolen? You still have to pay your debt.
I have cable and high speed internet, but guess what, I can cancel them at any time. No contract.
I also have a home land-line phone, with no contract.
I don't have a contract for my power or heat either.
I don't have a contract with my barber, waitress, car wash, dentist, dry cleaner, post office etc... yet these are all services that cost money over years, but I'm not in DEBT to them for 3 years.

The phone DOES cost 4 to 5 thousand dollars, because you have to pay that to get your hands on one. The service is a secondary thought. If you wanted one to use as a paper weight only, you still have to pay thousands for the phone.

I agree completely that the required 3 year contract term is unreasonable. But what I'm paying per month for the level of phone I have with the plan that I have is not [in comparison to other Rogers plans]. So I just put the term contract out of my mind. What other choice do I have?

For me, the switch was easy. A no-contract BASIC phone with Bell was costing me about as much as I'm paying for my iPhone now with Fido.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

My wife and I can spend 2 weeks at a 5 star all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean, buy a new 10 megapixel camera and wardrobe for the trip... for the same price Rogers wants for an iPhone.

of course that only works if you're willing to give up phone service for three years.

Quote:
The iPhone just doesn't make sense up here in Canada.
3 years is just way too long of a contract. It's almost like financing a car ffs

there is no arguing with that. it IS unreasonable.

Quote:
I've seen quite a bit of 'buyers remorse' up here with the iPhone. After the initial fad and excitement has worn off, people are realizing they didn't really need one, and are bummed they are stuck for another 2-3 years with the bill.

That hasn't been my experience. mind you - i don't live in the big city, but in a town of 1500 - i'm surprised at the amount of people i see that got iphones, most if which i wouldn't have pegged as the 'apple buying type'. i don't know a single one that would give it up willingly...

Most of them had blackberries before and all seem to agree that the iphone has made their life easier. One of them had just gotten an HTC Touch (sales guy told him 'it does everything as well as the iphone and more!') and actually paid out his contract with telus to make the switch just because he hated his HTC so much....
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't know. I still think that the Palm Pre looks interesting (especially the GSM version shown at WMC) and the Samsung Omnia HD looks very interesting too. Apple still has a lead in apps and overall UI design, but that lead is being eroded - especially when other phones have better displays and better hardware.

the palm pre might impress me when/IF it ships, until then.. pfft.

ok there is ONE phone that is impressing me at the moment, or more accurately, one part of one phone, the see through number dial on the LG GD900. usability might be a complete bitch, but looks wise COOL AS ICE! props to them bringing an eye-full of the future we were all promised 20-30-40 years ago

http://www.engadget.com/photos/we-ki...flesh/1363364/
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #22 of 40
I would say its equally impossible to compare a phone being demonstrated at a conference to a phone that is in use by millions of people.

At the conference the phones handlers are only showing you what they want to show you, and are carefully controlling what is seen or known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

No-one outside of Cupertino knows what the next iPhone will look like. I'm sure it will raise the bar once again. However, it's impossible to compare these new phones against something that hasn't been even announced yet. .
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

act will cost you over a thousand dollars in 3 years. And the iPhone IS NOT a basic phone. It isn't for everyone and not everyone needs one. People who don't do their research before they sign to a 3 year contract and drop $199-$299 {and then moan about it costing an arm and a leg, all because they didn't research what they were spending THEIR money on} will get no sympathy from me.

there fixed it
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Check out the SE Idou.

that the one with the 12 megapixel camera?

cant wait to see the NOISE from that sensor in low light

[/sarcasm]
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Wow, that's some fanboyish sh*t!!!

So Apple's video syncing is better because it won't even load a video if it's not the right format? And to get it into the proper format, you have to manually convert it via Quicktime (that's of course assuming it's one of the few formats Quicktime will properly re-encode) or (more likely) some better video conversion softare. That's better than software that will automatically re-encode your video for you and then sync it to your device? Yeah, um, okay. Please step out of the RDF before writing your articles...

How it works is this: Apple designated preferred playback codecs and formats so that everyone involved could produce content that worked optimally on the iPhone. This was actually done in advance, on the iPod.

In contrast, other phone makers tried to please non-engineer people like you, who think it makes sense to support every codec and format that a user might discover on bit torrent. That results in a system full of errors and incompatibilities.

The iPhone is designed to play back real movies produced professionally by studios and home videos (automatically put in the right format by iMovie). But it also works with ripped DVDs output to the optimal format (as Handbreak does), and any other videos that users might have (which can be converted for free with QuickTime within iTunes.

Rather than allowing users to poke themselves in the eye, Apple reports the error on sync rather than after sync and during failed playback. Sony is now copying the same strategy. So no, you are wrong because you don't understand the issues involved.
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post

How it works is this: Apple designated preferred playback codecs and formats so that everyone involved could produce content that worked optimally on the iPhone. This was actually done in advance, on the iPod.

Or Apple was cheap and decided to only support a limited number of codecs. And other device makers have also decided what codecs their device supports as well. No different than Apple.

Quote:
In contrast, other phone makers tried to please non-engineer people like you, who think it makes sense to support every codec and format that a user might discover on bit torrent. That results in a system full of errors and incompatibilities.

I didn't even vaguely say that they should try to support "every codec and format" but the fact that it only supports 2 (one being Apple's own proprietary format) doesn't say much about it and only very specific specs of those 2 as well. Not to mention, if I attempt to an incompatible video to my iPod, I'll get an error from iTunes unless I've told iTunes to stop showing me those errors in which I won't know until I go to play it that my video isn't there. Is there a really that much of a difference between getting the error before sync or before playback. The end result is the same: you're not going to be playing the video on your device.

Quote:
The iPhone is designed to play back real movies produced professionally by studios and home videos (automatically put in the right format by iMovie). But it also works with ripped DVDs output to the optimal format (as Handbreak does), and any other videos that users might have (which can be converted for free with QuickTime within iTunes.

Thanks for the condescending attitude. So if I buy from Apple's iTunes Store or create movies using Apple's iMovie, I'm golden? Thanks...you don't see the problem that the only one who is served by that situation is Apple?

As for Quicktime, its conversion abilities suck. For example, a mux'ed mpeg file converted by QT will get you a silent film. And mpeg files aren't some weird file format like I would consider mkv files. Maybe there's something I can add to QT for it to work right, but out of the box QT will fail on a majority of video formats.

Quote:
Rather than allowing users to poke themselves in the eye, Apple reports the error on sync rather than after sync and during failed playback. Sony is now copying the same strategy. So no, you are wrong because you don't understand the issues involved.

I believe I do understand the issues, despite being a "non-engineer." Sony isn't copying the same strategy. They're improving it by trying to automatically convert the files for the user and then syncing. Thus, no error at all. How is that not better than simply FAILING to sync the files like the Apple method?
post #27 of 40
[ed: OK, Let's not let this get out of hand any more]
post #28 of 40
Prince, as far as I'm concerned, if you have to call people idiots to win your argument, you've already lost. Being right, whether in your mind or in reality, doesn't mean it's acceptable to have such a condescending attitude about it.
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Prince, as far as I'm concerned, if you have to call people idiots to win your argument, you've already lost. Being right, whether in your mind or in reality, doesn't mean it's acceptable to have such a condescending attitude about it.

Yes, because caliminius is the very voice of reason by calling everything he disagrees with fanboi shit.
post #30 of 40
[ed: OK, Let's not let this get out of hand any more]
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, because caliminius is the very voice of reason by calling everything he disagrees with fanboi shit.

When it comes from Eran Dilger, 10 times out of 10 that is EXACTLY what it is.
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Talk about idiocy...please pull you head out of Steve Job's *ss.

I assume Prince is short for Prince McLean, a.k.a. Eran Dilger, a.k.a. Roughly Drafted's frothing Apple zealot and Microsoft hater. Please, go the f*ck back to your own website so AppleInsider can get back to having more balanced articles.

I think this sentence show's who's the frothing voice of reason and that Jeff needs a new "external perspective".

Was that too condescending for you too Jeff? My apologies that I didn't use 4 letter words or directly call you names.
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, because caliminius is the very voice of reason by calling everything he disagrees with fanboi shit.

Fine, both sides are wrong and have gotten carried away. Are you happy?

One person getting out of hand isn't a good justification for another person getting out of hand in response.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Fine, both sides are now wrong and have gotten carried away. Are you happy?

NOW wrong? Fanboi shit was first post, not a response to anything else unless you wanted to ping the article author as condescending.

Quote:
One person getting out of hand isn't a good justification for another person getting out of hand in response.

Being singled out by a mod who isn't even bothering to mod out "fuck off" in a thread he's participating in is, ah...hardly the mechanism to promote healthy, respectful debate.
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

NOW wrong? Fanboi shit was first post, not a response to anything else unless you wanted to ping the article author as condescending.

My comment wasn't about the article.

Quote:
Being singled out by a mod who isn't even bothering to mod out "fuck off" in a thread he's participating in is, ah...hardly the mechanism to promote healthy, respectful debate.

I got an alert for one post. I didn't get the alert for the other post, the other post didn't come out until after I made my first post.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I got an alert for one post. I didn't get the alert for the other post.

Are you seriously suggesting that you didn't bother reading the post directly under mine that you responded to just now?

Nice side stepping of the issue that caliminius was abusive from the get go by the way. I'm sure that if I wrote that your post was nothing but fanboi shit you wouldn't be in the least condescending toward me and perfectly polite in your response...
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I got an alert for one post. I didn't get the alert for the other post, the other post didn't come out until after I made my first post.

Oohhh...nice retro'ing. Timestamp buddy, timestamp. Claiming a post made at 4AM this morning didn't come out until after your 8AM posting is ah...brilliant. Especially since you've been posting elsewhere this morning...
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oohhh...nice retro'ing. Timestamp buddy, timestamp. Claiming a post made at 4AM this morning didn't come out until after your 8AM posting is ah...brilliant. Especially since you've been posting elsewhere this morning...

I was talking about my post at #28, which was posted at 8am yesterday. cal's "pretty" reply that you seemed to be objecting most to didn't come until after that post.

I was fully aware of the time stamps, I thought I was doing this at your behest.
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Are you seriously suggesting that you didn't bother reading the post directly under mine that you responded to just now?

My mistake. I'm a little under the weather.

Quote:
Nice side stepping of the issue that caliminius was abusive from the get go by the way. I'm sure that if I wrote that your post was nothing but fanboi shit you wouldn't be in the least condescending toward me and perfectly polite in your response...

Maybe you haven't noticed over the past few years, but I do try.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I was talking about my post at #28, which was posted at 8am yesterday. cal's "pretty" reply that you seemed to be objecting most to didn't come until after that post.

Ah, my bad then.

Quote:
I was fully aware of the time stamps, I thought I was doing this at your behest.

My behest would have been to mod the original comment to "fanboi stuff" and comment that criticism is welcome here but should be done somewhat respectfully. Then PM'd Prince (if it is Eran) that he was being a tad too defensive and it doesn't help him.

Then if caliminius posted what he did you could rightfully smack him with a violation. Instead he was emboldened to post it because it could be viewed as a mod supporting him so smacking him now might be considered a little unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My mistake. I'm a little under the weather.

Maybe you haven't noticed over the past few years, but I do try.

Yes you do. My response should have been PM'd...but I'm not a mod so I'm allowed a moderate amount of snarkiness.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone dominates Mobile World Congress 2009 without Apple