or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Syncing your Macs?

Syncing your Macs?

post #1 of 10
I apologize to those whose search for an answer might have resulted in them clicking on this thread.

Now to my post. When is Apple going to allow households with multiple Macs running the same software versions keep content in sync automatically?

I personally find it tedious to have to manually load new photos on both of our Macs so that we can work with them on the iMac at home or on our MacBook outside of the house.

The same goes for iTunes and having to rip new CD's into each machine's library. What a PITA!!!

iSync seems like a capable vehicle as far as programs go...come one Apple!!

Bill
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

I apologize to those whose search for an answer might have resulted in them clicking on this thread.

Now to my post. When is Apple going to allow households with multiple Macs running the same software versions keep content in sync automatically?

Bill

Ever heard of MobileMe? Whether or not you use MobileMe, you can most certainly synchronize files among multiple Macs. There are various and sundry synchronization utilities available wherever Mac software is available for download. My personal favorite is Synchronize! Pro X. Others swear by ChronoSync.
post #3 of 10
MobileMe only syncs contacts, calendars, bookmarks, keychains, etc...
I thought the same thing, but I'm pretty sure the OP wants to sync files such as documents, pdfs, etc.

Syncing a music/video library across multiple computers makes no sense though ... no sense in taking up 100+GB on each of your HD's just to "sync" that stuff...

Now, an Apple designed home server ... where you can choose which files/folders to sync to various computer HDD's ... I have no doubt Apple could do that much more elegantly than a third party... but unless the project gets blessed by The Steve (well... that's the impression we're left with anyway ) it won't happen.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Ever heard of MobileMe? Whether or not you use MobileMe, you can most certainly synchronize files among multiple Macs. There are various and sundry synchronization utilities available wherever Mac software is available for download. My personal favorite is Synchronize! Pro X. Others swear by ChronoSync.

I've got MobileMe but as King stated it won't sync iTunes or iPhoto libraries.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

MobileMe only syncs contacts, calendars, bookmarks, keychains, etc...
I thought the same thing, but I'm pretty sure the OP wants to sync files such as documents, pdfs, etc.

Syncing a music/video library across multiple computers makes no sense though ... no sense in taking up 100+GB on each of your HD's just to "sync" that stuff...

Now, an Apple designed home server ... where you can choose which files/folders to sync to various computer HDD's ... I have no doubt Apple could do that much more elegantly than a third party... but unless the project gets blessed by The Steve (well... that's the impression we're left with anyway ) it won't happen.

I'd want to sync anything and everything I want ideally.

I think being able to sync audio or video libraries makes sense. For one, you can never have enough backups, I've gone through the horror of having my main library and backup library go and have to re-rip over 700 CD's...
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

I think being able to sync audio or video libraries makes sense. For one, you can never have enough backups, I've gone through the horror of having my main library and backup library go and have to re-rip over 700 CD's...

so... it would make sense (to you) to have an infinite number of back-ups???

In your case, when your HDD based backup failed, you went to your CD based media... the ultimate back-up source re-ripping is a pain, but that's why it's called a "back-up"... it's something you hope NOT to use.
post #7 of 10
I've had the same thought. Maybe some kind of home/small office network feature where you have shared user names and your home folders are duplicated and/or steamed on all your machines. I hate having to continuously copy files between my iMac and iBook.
post #8 of 10
Try Chonosync. Works well for me and is pretty cheap
post #9 of 10
wgb113,

Try sharing your libraries in iTunes, password protecting the shares so that you know who is looking. Then purchase an external firewire or usb drive to backup your main system with Time Machine. If your not running 10.5 and don't have TM then copy all of your data to the external hard drive. You can copy the files there or find a free third party tool in source forge or version tracker to backup or sync your files. I personally share my movies and music in my iTunes library. The whole family can enjoy it whenever they want.
post #10 of 10
There seems to be a free way to sync stuff with google sync and dropbox : https://sites.google.com/site/lesmaclinsenglish/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Syncing your Macs?