or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Turn-by-turn GPS iPhone driving app on display at MWC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Turn-by-turn GPS iPhone driving app on display at MWC

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
A company versed in downloadable GPS driving apps for smartphones is showing off a turn-by-turn solution running on the iPhone at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The app, produced by Sygic, most likely amounts to an unsanctioned proof-of-concept that may face resistance from Apple when it's submitted shortly to the App Store.

Nevertheless, the iPhone Blog reports that the software, on display at the TeleAtlas booth at MWC, has turn-by-turn GPS directions with voice prompts, points of interest, support for multiple countries, and locally-stored maps. This comes as Apple has been slow to provide its own GPS turn-by-turn solution or the necessary tools for third party developers wishing to write their own.

Last July, the iPhone maker seeded a beta version of iPhone Software 2.1 with a version of the CoreLocation framework that could recognize the cardinal direction of an iPhone through GPS as well as its velocity -- both necessary ingredients for turn-by-turn directions.

Two weeks before the beta seed, two veteran GPS companies, TeleNav and TomTom, said they were developing more advanced navigation software than what's offered in the iPhone edition of Google Maps. At the time, Apple product chief Greg Woswiak confirmed the hardware inside the device is just as capable as other GPS-aware phones that provide live directions.



But when Apple finally got around to release iPhone Software 2.1 last September, GPS capabilities were nowhere to be found and were presumed to have been pulled alongside experimental push notification support that was also seeded to developers as part of 2.1 pre-releases. Since then, there has been no word from the Cupertino-based company about addressing the iPhone's lack of true turn-by-turn GPS navigational software.

An app like Sygic's might have significant hurdles to overcome before it could ever be available for customers to purchase. It's believed that the iPhone SDK prohibits GPS driving apps in its current form, making it hard to see a way that Sygic's app could be approved.



Nonetheless, Sygic's app provide an interesting proof-of-concept of what turn-by-turn GPS could look like when it successfully arrives on the Apple handset. The app reportedly worked well from what could be gathered amidst a technology conference with limited space, although it took a lengthy 30 seconds to initialize.
post #2 of 54
Give me a true turn by turn GPS and I'll go get an iPhone today!!

My current GPS is windows based and sucks. Constant crashes, confusing interface, etc. I'd love for an iPhone to be able to handle that.
post #3 of 54
Yes please! I always have my iPhone with me. My GPS? Usually at the office when I need it at home and vice versa. I'd leave it in the car was it not for the fact that sub zero temps screws batteries. This seems like such a no brainer I can't understand what the delay is all about.
post #4 of 54
This is such a no brain feature that I can't help but think that Apple is waiting for the next version of the iPhone to deliver it. Think about it, there probably aren't going to be any major improvements, radiowise, in the next version of the iPhone.

Anyway, regardless of what I think, how much would you guys pay for a downloadable app that has turn-by-turn GPS? I would have no problem dishing $50 bucks or so, however I would resist any attempt at a monthly subscription fee (a 'la VZ Navigator).
post #5 of 54
So how would you go about handling calls when inside the GPS framework? I think Apple needs to either partner with TomTom on this or open up the SDK more. How annoying would that be if you were driving along and hit a critical spot in the directions and someone calls and poof - there goes the GPS...
post #6 of 54
Not sure what the hold up is. Remember that Apple added direction and speed back to the CoreLocation framework in v2.2.
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes please! I always have my iPhone with me. My GPS? Usually at the office when I need it at home and vice versa. I'd leave it in the car was it not for the fact that sub zero temps screws batteries. This seems like such a no brainer I can't understand what the delay is all about.

They're probably waiting until they have a braillle version of the app, so as not to offend the blind. Lord knows they must be tired of these ridiculous lawsuits from the HANDICAPABLE! community out there.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

They're probably waiting until they have a braillle version of the app, so as not to offend the blind. Lord knows they must be tired of these ridiculous lawsuits from the HANDICAPABLE! community out there.

I have no problem with your opinion but to just make broad statements about lawsuits and their validity is a waste of time. Give me an example of the lawsuit and explain to me why there is or is not a cause of action.
post #9 of 54
Well Apple is already working on their own version, but this is nice. I feel like iPhone's main purpose is not being a phone anymore, its so many other things. =)

One thing I wonder is who's voice will be used in iPhone's User Interface. Male or Female, I heard that "alex" from Snow Leopard suppose to be even more realistic. Maybe iPhone will have male voice.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I have no problem with your opinion but to just make broad statements about lawsuits and their validity is a waste of time. Give me an example of the lawsuit and explain to me why there is or is not a cause of action.

I'm not interested in arguing with you, and I don't have to explain anything to you.
post #11 of 54
Hey Apple, I'd buy an iPhone in a heartbeat if this became a reality.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I'm not interested in arguing with you, and I don't have to explain anything to you.

No, you don't. However, I am intrigued as to whether or not you have an explanation for yourself?
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A company versed in downloadable GPS driving apps for smartphones is showing off a turn-by-turn solution running on the iPhone at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. ...

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

So how would you go about handling calls when inside the GPS framework? I think Apple needs to either partner with TomTom on this or open up the SDK more. How annoying would that be if you were driving along and hit a critical spot in the directions and someone calls and poof - there goes the GPS...

How is this a problem? If the phone rings while you are driving, you are supposed to pull over anyway. Even if you are too lazy or careless to do that, you can still speak while driving and then turn the program back on when you are finished.

I mean OMG, is it so bad that once in a blue moon you'd have to pause on your journey in order to receive a phone call while driving???
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.

This is why Apple is working on an in-dash navigation and entertainment system(iPod in your car).
It will only be available in new cars at first.
Apple was rumored to have been working with Daimler-Chrysler at one point.
Google is also working on a version of Android for cars.
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket.

inbuilt GPS units typically cost between 10 and 20 times that of portable ones, so unless you actually enjoy spending a lot of money unnecessarily, portable units are better value for money.

Portable GPS' have numerous other advantages, such as you can take them on holiday when you might need to hire a car and really need a GPS due to unfamiliar territory.

Since portable units make enormous sense, adding the functionality to the iPhone is an attractive and very sensible idea. The more functionality you can add to an iPhone, the better.

You might be a masochist and personally would prefer to lug a multitude of separate devices and their associated power sources and paraphernalia, but I will take the less is more path thanks.
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

inbuilt GPS units typically cost between 10 and 20 times that of portable ones, so unless you actually enjoy spending a lot of money unnecessarily, portable units are better value for money.

Portable GPS' have numerous other advantages, such as you can take them on holiday when you might need to hire a car and really need a GPS due to unfamiliar territory.

Since portable units make enormous sense, adding the functionality to the iPhone is an attractive and very sensible idea. The more functionality you can add to an iPhone, the better.

You might be a masochist and personally would prefer to lug a multitude of separate devices and their associated power sources and paraphernalia, but I will take the less is more path thanks.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

I am saying from a design standpoint, the thing should be built right into the dash of *every* car. It should be a mandated standard in other words. No cost, no bull, and a few hundred less corpses on the road each year. Seems like a win-win to me.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

inbuilt GPS units typically cost between 10 and 20 times that of portable ones, so unless you actually enjoy spending a lot of money unnecessarily, portable units are better value for money.

Portable GPS' have numerous other advantages, such as you can take them on holiday when you might need to hire a car and really need a GPS due to unfamiliar territory.

Since portable units make enormous sense, adding the functionality to the iPhone is an attractive and very sensible idea. The more functionality you can add to an iPhone, the better.

You might be a masochist and personally would prefer to lug a multitude of separate devices and their associated power sources and paraphernalia, but I will take the less is more path thanks.

Sure that is all true and stuff, but when has that stopped Apple from doing what Apple wants to do. Apple wants to be in your next new car.
You already own an iPhone, now it is time to pony up for an iCar if you want Apple's insanely great navigation system. Or you can complain while everyone else buys one.
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

inbuilt GPS units typically cost between 10 and 20 times that of portable ones, so unless you actually enjoy spending a lot of money unnecessarily, portable units are better value for money.

No doubt but I still vastly prefer my built-in navigation system. They will come down in price. Remember how expensive car radios were (they still are not cheap) but wouldn't a portable radio offer much better value for money. Who would prefer not to have a car radio nowadays?
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.

Ouch - I never thought about the combo GPS / Phone problem. I guess when in GPS mode only bluetooth phone should work (default set up). I really don't know, but I can see that this is where the whole delay rests. As for answering calls whilst in GPS mode - isn't the phone in the iPhone able to multitask? What happens in iPod mode? The iPod stops, but does it quit? Just realized no one has ever called me up while I have used the iPod.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

How is this a problem? If the phone rings while you are driving, you are supposed to pull over anyway. Even if you are too lazy or careless to do that, you can still speak while driving and then turn the program back on when you are finished.

I mean OMG, is it so bad that once in a blue moon you'd have to pause on your journey in order to receive a phone call while driving???

Oh right, I mean, when I'm on the highway in wall to wall traffic going 60 my natural inclination is to pull over when my phone rings and cause a huge wreck - yeah, that's genius. Why would I utilize the free hands-free device that comes with my iPhone??? (smart a$$ comment begets a smart a$$ reply...)

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

No doubt but I still vastly prefer my built-in navigation system. They will come down in price. Remember how expensive car radios were (they still are not cheap) but wouldn't a portable radio offer much better value for money. Who would prefer not to have a car radio nowadays?

I've used a few built in devices (Acura and Mercedes) and they are total pains in the rear - I much, much prefer the interface of the TomTom and the Garmin to those things. Most built in devices try to do way too much and make it nearly impossible to do anything productive without reading the 200 page instruction guide.
post #23 of 54
don't other phones with turn-by-turn GPS arleady exist? How do these other phones address these problems?
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.

It all comes down to Apple opening up the SDK, which I am confident they will do when THEY are ready - not when developers are ready.
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Oh right, I mean, when I'm on the highway in wall to wall traffic going 60 my natural inclination is to pull over when my phone rings and cause a huge wreck - yeah, that's genius. Why would I utilize the free hands-free device that comes with my iPhone??? (smart a$$ comment begets a smart a$$ reply...)

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.

Well gee, there's no pleasing you I guess.

I'm saying the rule is to pull over, I also said that lots of times that's not done or not possible or whatever. If the phone rings, you have to make a choice as to whether to answer it (you don't have to), or if the trip details are more important to you at that time. If you decide the phone call is more important, then you have to wait 30 seconds to continue your trip. These kinds of decisions occur every day. It's called "life."

If it's any consolation, the next iPhone (or at least the one after that) is likely to have more multitasking abilities. On the other hand, a couple of years ago no one had a GPS in their car with turn by turn directions anyway, so consider yourself lucky perhaps?
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Oh right, I mean, when I'm on the highway in wall to wall traffic going 60 my natural inclination is to pull over when my phone rings and cause a huge wreck - yeah, that's genius. Why would I utilize the free hands-free device that comes with my iPhone??? (smart a$$ comment begets a smart a$$ reply...)

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.

Hell, here's a novel idea.

Use the iPhone as a phone, and if you NEED a GPS buy one of those to. Heck you'll be helping the economy and likely getting a much better unit for GPS, as that is what THEY do.

So let's see.

- We wanted a portable phone we got it!
- We wanted it to play music we got it!
- We wanted it to down load music (files) we got it!
- We wanted it to surf the web (not fast enough yet, but we still got it) we got it
- We wanted Push-pull
- We wanted a GPS
- We wanted to play games with it
- We wanted email
- We can program our VCR from the damn thing
- Hell I forgot about the fact, that many women like it because they can put it on vibrate.

Are we getting so damn lazy we can't do anything for ourselves?

When or where is it going to end? Is it really all that good that we get a "All-in-one" tool.

You know what I'd like? I'd love to have a phone that works ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. Now that makes sense to me.

Hey, once they have a device that does everything, it is sure to piss-off all of those companies that go out of business is that going to be your job that gets cut?

Skip
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Ouch - I never thought about the combo GPS / Phone problem. I guess when in GPS mode only bluetooth phone should work (default set up). I really don't know, but I can see that this is where the whole delay rests. As for answering calls whilst in GPS mode - isn't the phone in the iPhone able to multitask? What happens in iPod mode? The iPod stops, but does it quit? Just realized no one has ever called me up while I have used the iPod.

The music fades out over about 2 seconds, pauses, then the phone rings. When you hang up it fades back in the same way.

I don't think it is much of a problem. With voiced turn by turn, the iPod volume could fade and pause, then speak or just lower the volume, then speak over it. If a call comes in the name/pic could display over the GPS and then you can take the call in BT or as a speakerphone or with the headphones. With auditory commands I don't even have to look at the GPS.

My TomTom already integrates with iPods and cellphones while in-dash systems mute the stereo receiver and integrate with cellphones via BT. It seems like the same situation to me, but I can see why Apple wouldn't want the libality until their number crunchers can assure them that it will be profitable, despite litigation costs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

As for answering calls whilst in GPS mode - isn't the phone in the iPhone able to multitask? What happens in iPod mode? The iPod stops, but does it quit? Just realized no one has ever called me up while I have used the iPod.

Only Apple's own apps (like the iPod part) are allowed to continue running in the background, all other apps quit when switching to another app.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I've used a few built in devices (Acura and Mercedes) and they are total pains in the rear - I much, much prefer the interface of the TomTom and the Garmin to those things. Most built in devices try to do way too much and make it nearly impossible to do anything productive without reading the 200 page instruction guide.

I have never read the manual for my navigation system.
post #30 of 54
I am pretty sure this is all caused by Apple's counsel, as some have alluded to above. While the application review process for getting an app on the store addresses some stability and functionality issues, it does not address safety and the potential for lawsuits. The other items in that same clause of the SDK address actually controlling vehicles and providing emergency services. By opening the functionality up to any developer, one could get the same quality (read: lack of) as other apps.

I suspect the reasons for the SDK language will become clear as some preferred providers (Tom Tom, Garmin, others) are allowed to develop more sophisticated and, allegedly, more safe apps for this function. There will likely be better licensing and profit sharing deals for Apple to provide exclusive access to these providers. The providers will also want to protect their interests (maybe a subscription-based service) since this could eat into their own hardware sales for standalone units.

In any case, they need to get this done. I would say the built in Google version (which I freely admit I use in the car) is more unsafe than any audible or turn-by-turn version.
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.

Wether the GPS is built into the car is completly irrelavent. When using an in car decent systems still contain the interface for the gps, and the radio, and some can pick up your calls. Which returns it to be exactly the equivalent of an iPhone.

And you may be right that people die from inattention but I feel strongly that there is not a one-to-one relationship and will not be between car crashes and GPS.
post #32 of 54
One thing that needs to be done is to have a good holder for the iPhone in the car, that will keep it charged during the journey. Having both display and GPS running will kill the batteries quickly without a constant power supply.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think you are misunderstanding me.

I am saying from a design standpoint, the thing should be built right into the dash of *every* car. It should be a mandated standard in other words. No cost, no bull, and a few hundred less corpses on the road each year. Seems like a win-win to me.

Whether you have a device built in or a portable one such as a Garmin or TomTom, will make no difference to accident rates. The argument was whether turning an iPhone into a Garmin or TomTom was a good idea. You came up with what I consider an illogical and spurious diversion.

If portable Sat-Navs are inherently dangerous, so too are inbuilt ones as there is no 'significant' ergonomic differentiation in terms of use. If they are dangerous, it will likely come out in accident investigation statistics as it did with mobile phones, leading to their in-hand use being banned in several countries whilst driving. So until such time as there is a determination of the risk, we should focus on the question at hand - turning an iPhone into a useful Sat-Nav.

It really is no question at all, the choice should be up to the user. People with your mindset can opt not to take advantage of Sat-Nav functionality if they so wish, and those who wish to take advantage of the opportunity can and will. Well they could if Apple weren't playing dog in the manger. Back to the Jailbreaking for many I imagine.
post #34 of 54
Let's imagine that Apple is a company that has a history of, when entering a new field, getting it right.

Let's imagine that turn-by-turn GPS is the "killer app" on the soon-to-be-released new iPhone, the app that is so "must have" that everyone throws out their old iPhone/Blackberry/Garmin/TomTom and buys one. Let's imagine that Apple knew this was coming, and even thought ahead enough to specifically exclude other developers from creating their own app, by specifically forbidding it in the SDK Agreement.

How would Apple do it, and get it right?

Firstly, given the open season on anti-Apple law suits these days, there has got to be no question as to the safety of the device. There can be no fiddling with the device while driving, either for the GPS functions or phone/SMS functions. How about this: The turn-by-turn GPS is sold as an option that includes a bracket that the iphone plugs into (horizontally), the bracket attaching to the windshield Ã* la Garmin or TomTom. The other component of the TBT GPS is the app downloadable from the App Store, but the app ONLY works when the iPhone is clipped into the bracket. The bracket has a charging cable from the cigarette lighter, and it has a radio frequency broadcaster to broadcast to the car's radio. When clipped into the bracket, the iPhone is now in TBT GPS mode - the TBT GPS app automatically launches. You can interact with it by touch (for example to set a destination) ONLY while the device is stationary. But you CAN voice-control it at any time. When in TBT GPS mode, no other app can run, with one exception. If a phone call comes in, the iPhone announces that a call is coming in. If you say "answer" the call is connected, with the call coming over the iPhone AND the car's stereo, if you choose to tune the stereo in. The TBT GPS app is written to function perfectly well while the phone function is being used, so you don't lose your GPS functionality. To end a call you just say "iPhone hang up" and the call is disconnected. Totally hands-free! If an SMS comes in while in TBT GPS mode, the iPhone will announce it has arrived, and who it is from, but it won't allow you to read it or type an SMS while the car is moving. (It may have a function that will read the SMS to you.) Of course, the radio broadcast feature will also play your iPhone music on the car's stereo, but, once again, you can only control the track selection by voice or when the car is stationary.

If I were Apple's CEO (they asked, I told them I'd think about it) that's how I'd do it.
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Sure that is all true and stuff, but when has that stopped Apple from doing what Apple wants to do. Apple wants to be in your next new car.
You already own an iPhone, now it is time to pony up for an iCar if you want Apple's insanely great navigation system. Or you can complain while everyone else buys one.

What Apple wants, they don't necessarily get. I don't think Apple is necessarily working on a separate in-car GPS. They probably wouldn't make as much money from that as they would by adding the functionality to the iPhone frankly. It is likely an iPhone based solution would drive significant further sales due to perceived value-adding.

the GPS capability is already there, all they need is some software. A separate device would be a lot more costly to develop as both a new hardware and software platform would be required.

No, I think Apple are working on their own iPhone based Sat-Nav solution and don't want others getting in the way or sharing the cake.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…seeded a beta version of iPhone Software 2.1 with a version of the CoreLocation framework that could recognize the cardinal direction of an iPhone through GPS as well as its velocity

You mean "as well as its speed". Velocity is a vector - it includes both speed and direction information.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Whether you have a device built in or a portable one such as a Garmin or TomTom, will make no difference to accident rates. The argument was whether turning an iPhone into a Garmin or TomTom was a good idea. You came up with what I consider an illogical and spurious diversion.

If portable Sat-Navs are inherently dangerous, so too are inbuilt ones as there is no 'significant' ergonomic differentiation in terms of use. If they are dangerous, it will likely come out in accident investigation statistics as it did with mobile phones, leading to their in-hand use being banned in several countries whilst driving. So until such time as there is a determination of the risk, we should focus on the question at hand - turning an iPhone into a useful Sat-Nav.

It really is no question at all, the choice should be up to the user. People with your mindset can opt not to take advantage of Sat-Nav functionality if they so wish, and those who wish to take advantage of the opportunity can and will. Well they could if Apple weren't playing dog in the manger. Back to the Jailbreaking for many I imagine.

Wow.

Are you being purposely dense here? Or is this a joke?

I said that it might be a problem juggling a phone on your lap while you are driving. That's hardly a controversial statement. This known problem with phones, that tends to cause inattention, that also is the number one cause of road accidents is somehow "illogical" and "spurious" how???

And you end up with giving me some kind of lecture on "freedom" and assuming all kinds of things about me that you don't even know?

You sir, are making an Assinine statement.

For all those people jumping up and down on me over my comments, check out the very first line of my post. You know, the one where it says I'm "playing devil's advocate." If you're unfamiliar with the term let me explain it to you. It means to take an opposing but logical view in an argument or debate that you may not even believe in but has to be considered as a possible opposing stance.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that doing *anything* on a phone while driving is somewhat of a risk and there is tons of evidence to prove it. That's why phones provide "hands-free" operation options and why Garmin provides a bracket for their device. Duh!!
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pithy View Post

The other component of the TBT GPS is the app downloadable from the App Store, but the app ONLY works when the iPhone is clipped into the bracket. The bracket has a charging cable from the cigarette lighter, and it has a radio frequency broadcaster to broadcast to the car's radio. When clipped into the bracket, the iPhone is now in TBT GPS mode - the TBT GPS app automatically launches. You can interact with it by touch (for example to set a destination) ONLY while the device is stationary. But you CAN voice-control it at any time. When in TBT GPS mode, no other app can run, with one exception. If a phone call comes in, the iPhone announces that a call is coming in. If you say "answer" the call is connected, with the call coming over the iPhone AND the car's stereo, if you choose to tune the stereo in. The TBT GPS app is written to function perfectly well while the phone function is being used, so you don't lose your GPS functionality. To end a call you just say "iPhone hang up" and the call is disconnected. Totally hands-free! If an SMS comes in while in TBT GPS mode, the iPhone will announce it has arrived, and who it is from, but it won't allow you to read it or type an SMS while the car is moving. (It may have a function that will read the SMS to you.) Of course, the radio broadcast feature will also play your iPhone music on the car's stereo, but, once again, you can only control the track selection by voice or when the car is stationary.

If I were Apple's CEO (they asked, I told them I'd think about it) that's how I'd do it.

I was with you until the whole app only works when its in the dock. thats the dummest thing i have ever heard.

What about when your not in your own car. Your with a buddy taking a road trip in his car.
Oh wait let me just instal my bracket my iphone turn by turn gps doesnt work without it.

Soooo stupid.

I think you were on the right track though and it should be an accesory kit almost but i dont think it should stop being able to fufil its other functions because that just dumb.

I am very glad you are not the CEO at Apple because otherwise id probably be on a fansite for i dunno dell or something if that even exists
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

I was with you until the whole app only works when its in the dock. thats the dummest thing i have ever heard.

What about when your not in your own car. Your with a buddy taking a road trip in his car.
Oh wait let me just instal my bracket my iphone turn by turn gps doesnt work without it.

Soooo stupid.

I think you were on the right track though and it should be an accesory kit almost but i dont think it should stop being able to fufil its other functions because that just dumb.

I am very glad you are not the CEO at Apple because otherwise id probably be on a fansite for i dunno dell or something if that even exists

Actually he is speaking sense, unfortunately. Blame the Americans and you are American then blame yourself. Because the Americans have spent the last 20 years suing everybody and everything they have given up all sense of personal responsibility and now lawyers across the globe are getting in on the act.

Manufacturers are too scared to deploy items like this without stringent controls, like the GPS receivers that cannot be changed while the car is moving (I get these when I rent a car now). So even if a passenger is operating it sorry you still have to pull over.

Be prepared for this kind of possibility.
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You mean "as well as its speed". Velocity is a vector - it includes both speed and direction information.

Well, if the iPhone has your location from two moments (hence calculating a direction), it IS determining your velocity, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Hell, here's a novel idea.

Use the iPhone as a phone, and if you NEED a GPS buy one of those to...

Are we getting so damn lazy we can't do anything for ourselves?

When or where is it going to end? Is it really all that good that we get a "All-in-one" tool.

Skip

People aren't upset just because they don't have a phone with true GPS - we've obviously lived without for many years. It's the fact that Apple, apparently, has ARTIFICIALLY hamstringed the iPhone so that it cannot fulfill its potential. It has a fully functioning GPS chip in it, but Apple's policy prevents devs from using it completely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Turn-by-turn GPS iPhone driving app on display at MWC