or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Mac Mini reboot problem?

Mac Mini reboot problem?

post #1 of 3
Someone is selling a Mac Mini at a good price but it has a problem and I don't know if this is something that is a deal-killer or can be fixed fairly easily.

The Mini turns on, but message is: "non-system disk, reboot". Does anyone know what this message means or how to fix it? I don't have a Mac now, so I'm flying blind on this kind of thing.
post #2 of 3
sounds like he tried to put windows on it & it blew up.

does he have an OS X DVD disc? on boot, hold the option key & select the Mac OS boot drive.

for the DVD, put it in & select that drive when it shows on the screen.

if it boots OS X fine 7 seems to work, you should be OK.
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
post #3 of 3
Sounds like reformat/reinstall will fix the problem.
Add a question to the auction (if it is one) saying it sounds like expensive hardware replacement.

I have a mac mini with a buggered internal drive and use a USB drive now. Am waiting for SSD's to come down in price and I will replace it.
With the mini having firewire you can boot from another mac with opt-T on startup and use its cd/harddrive to reformat if you have to.

Dobby
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Mac Mini reboot problem?