or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Photo of next-gen Apple Mac mini in the wild?

Photo of next-gen Apple Mac mini in the wild? - Page 5

post #161 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

No gadget is ever "future-proof," at best, maybe "future-ready." After all, yesterday's new and/or visionary is today's old and/or unrealistic. Besides, the FW3200 and USB3 standards aren't even ready for prime time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever00 View Post

My point was it would be nice to have something that's future-proof.

Quote:

What do you mean by not ready for prime time? FW3200 is already defined in IEEE 1394b spec, which was released when FW800 was introduced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewir..._1394b-2002.29). The new spec just offers some further clarifications. Therefore, it's quite possible that the FW800 chip installed in the upcoming mini will support FW3200 when those devices come out.

As I understand it, FW800 ports need only the new 3200 cable to give full FW3200 speeds.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #162 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

As I understand it, FW800 ports need only the new 3200 cable to give full FW3200 speeds.

No, FW3200 uses the cable, same connector and is in fact part of the same spec. But I am guessing the FW800 chips that are on the market today do not implement the full IEEE 1394b spec.
post #163 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The 9400M outperforms the 2400XT in the iMac. It gives you near parity with dedicated solutions at the entry level. Anything higher you wouldn't be seeing in a Mini anyway.

Wireless-N devices were on the market before support for it arrived in Macs.

My usage: XGrid and OpenCL/OpenGL where I can leverage as many streams/cores from the best GPUs possible.

That slot gives me options.

Wiithout it's useless to me for any serious development as an extra node on a budget.

Give me a rack of 10 Mac Mini systems all being clustered as nodes for rendering and leveraging OpenCL is far less expensive than 10 Mac Pros.
post #164 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because people that are using a Mini with their 3rd-party monitor may want to update their Mini without paying an additional 5% just for a new adapter?

Nope. The current mini doesn't use mini-DVI, it uses full DVI. So those folks will need an adapter anyway.
post #165 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Good CPUs they may be but the performance differential is to huge to ignore. Using your logic a Pentium would be good enough, but you really don't see much demand for old Pentium hardware on the desk top.

The other thing is that you are going to want a processor with lots of threads once Snow Leopard comes out.

It wouldn't be much better than the current machine that everybody complains about.

Well if you say so. I just don't think the majority of the people waiting on a new Mini would agree with you.

Dave

Fair enough. But I think then the majority of people waiting on a new Mini, who do not agree with me, are really setting themselves up for dissapointment. I thought I was getting disillusioned, and was willing to settle with a Core 2 2ghz, 9400M, 2GB RAM Mac Mini. If most people want even more in that form factor, well, then there could be the mid-tower Core i7, but wow, we're all starting to expect a heck of a lot from Apple. Apple could deliver, but I personally ain't going to have these expectations because I can't handle the dissapointment. It would piss me off too much.

As for me, well, I'll continue saving my cash, enjoy looking at that number in my bank account, and when my AppleCare on my white Core Duo MacBook (running Adobe CS4, Logic Pro 8 ) ends in May... Hopefully Apple would have sorted this desktop stuff out and made the MacBook and MacBook Pro more price competitive.

This Mac Mini/ iMac thing is really starting to annoy people, I understand...
post #166 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelgrian View Post

There is a very simple reason that Apple may want to put a real DVI port on a revised Mini. This is that the current DVI to DisplayPort adaptor cannot pass through HDCP. Combined with the fact that there are next to no DisplayPort monitors and TVs on the market this would mean that the machine would be unable to play HD content (downloaded from iTunes etc.) with the vast majority of displays on the market.

Ah, cheers. That's the only plausible reason I've heard so far.
post #167 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Second, miniDP supports DRM, and my understanding is that the miniDP adaptors won't work to put DRM'd content on a legacy display. Including the miniDVI would be a way to avoid obsoleting your display if/when Apple activates the DRM (for HD movie rentals, for example). For the MB/MBP this isn't as big a deal because you'd still be able to view the content on the built-in display if not an external monitor. But for the mini, you need a connector that's always going to work with older displays.

If the DRM doesn't support output to legacy displays over DisplayPort, why should it support output over legacy ports at all? It doesn't make any sense.

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, HDCP allows downgrading to SD to support legacy displays.

And again, the ICT is an AACS feature. It could be implemented in the FairPlay DRM, but it's not in HDCP.
post #168 of 222
The new Mac mini to be successful in the market must have:

1. New chipset architecture with higher system bus & faster memory for HD 1080p capabilities (Montevina or Calpella).
2. Better graphic card with PCIe bus, more graphic memory & 3D acceleration capabilities (Nvidia)
3. 7200rpm Hard Disk drive.
4. WiFI 802.11n
5. Firewire 800
6. HDMI output
7. Bluray disk drive
8. Revolutionary new design.

Would be nice also to have if the cost can stay at relatively low levels.

1. CPU with at least 2,33GHz clock speed & 4MB cache memory.
2. Bluray recorder disk drive
3. eSATA interface
4. Solid State hard disk
5. WiMAX wireless interface
5. Smaller dimensions

5 USB ports are not that important to have, since you can use an external USB hub and upgrade the number of ports to anything you want. Mini DVI is useful to save space for other ports but not necessary. Mac mini is an entry level machine after all, but should have good enough HTPC capabilities and mobility.

I don’t think that the Mac mini on the picture is going to gain a big market share.
post #169 of 222
If that's it...then why did it take so long? Similar enclosure and a mere spec bump? It doesn't look racidal enough for me.

Shrugs*.

It sure has to be quad core? :I

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #170 of 222
Unless, Apple has plans to announce that "New" product at the same time, and then folks will better uns=derstand why so many ports.

Skip
post #171 of 222
If Apple releases a machine that has a dedicated GPU AND FireWire, with a low end price point, Jobs isn't at the helm anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post

1. New chipset architecture with higher system bus & faster memory for HD 1080p capabilities (Montevina or Calpella).
2. Better graphic card with PCIe bus, more graphic memory & 3D acceleration capabilities (Nvidia)
4. WiFI 802.11n
5. Firewire 800
6. HDMI output
7. Bluray disk drive

3. eSATA interface
4. Solid State hard disk
5. Smaller dimensions

5 USB ports are not that important to have, since you can use an external USB hub and upgrade the number of ports to anything you want. Mini DVI is useful to save space for other ports but not necessary. Mac mini is an entry level machine after all, but should have good enough HTPC capabilities and mobility.

I dont think that the Mac mini on the picture is going to gain a big market share.
post #172 of 222
Wh ydoes it need to be atleast 2.3 ghz? Intels upcomming Lynnfield processors have some processors with intergrated gpus and memory controllers and are less then 2.3ghz.

Why should they be atleast 2.3? IF you can get great performance with less ghz and less heat generated then why not?

This is a mac mini not a full blown mac pro.
post #173 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Wh ydoes it need to be atleast 2.3 ghz? Intels upcomming Lynnfield processors have some processors with intergrated gpus and memory controllers and are less then 2.3ghz.

Why should they be atleast 2.3? IF you can get great performance with less ghz and less heat generated then why not?

This is a mac mini not a full blown mac pro.

I agree with you. I didn’t say it has to be 2,33GHz, I said It would be nice to be. If a Lynnfield quad-core CPU is going to be used, then there is no need for high speed clocks. But since I don’t think so, as price in such a case is going to increase much, I think it would be nice to have a double core processor with performance at least close to the smallest iMac model.
post #174 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

How are people doing with the new GPU chips in the macbooks while playing games?

All the games that I play run perfectly well in my new MacBook (4GB RAM, 500GB WD Scorpio HD, 9400M card). I get 45 frames per second in X-Plane 9.3 in full screen and medium settings, Sims 2 plays perfectly. Spore rocks. Civ IV and Pirates run like a dream. Call of Duty 4 plays well. And I've got CrossOver Games installed and run Orange Box in an XP bottle flawlessly. I'm more than happy with my purchase a week ago.

If the new mini has a 2.0 GHz chip, 9400M card and 2GB of RAM standard, my 11 year old son has his money all saved up for it. I'll buy a monitor for it and he'll be brilliantly happy (he's on an old G4 laptop right now with the screen hinge failing).
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #175 of 222
The iMac better at least get a top of the line MOBILE graphics card. its understandable that the Mini wouldnt.
post #176 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The FW800 is nice, but what the hell does anyone need five USB ports for on this level of computer?

if not using BT keyboard/mouse, that's 2, plus a printer, 3, that leaves only 2 left for cameras/card readers/etc.
post #177 of 222
Quote:

. . . but what the hell does anyone need five USB ports for on this level of computer?

Let me see on my Mac media center I need...

1) Radio receiver for my gyration (wave you hand in the air) mouse
2) Printer/Scanner
3) USB 2 Backup Drive (cheap than firewire and don't need the extra speed for backups)
4) Camera dock with Card reader built in
5) open port for pluging in the occasional flash drive or iPod

Pretty easy to see how an average "digital hub" user could want 5 ports
post #178 of 222
After thinking about it for a bit, if this photo is legit, it can redeem the mini in a lot of people's (the people here, at least) eyes. It indeed looks like a prototype and Apple regularly sticks it's new secret machines in old cases, especially for prototypes out in the wild. That means that this could be a placeholder enclosure, but it also means the motherboard will be pretty much the same dimensions and therefore the case will likely be about the same size, maybe a bit bigger but at least the same as the current size.

Other thoughts:
5 USB ports is perfect. The 3 on my iMac are always filled and I could use an extra or 2 all the time.

It should support 802.11n wireless.

It should have the same chipset in the MacBook/MB Pro 15 & 17, a variant of the MPC79 series.

RAM should be upgradable to 8GB, like the MBP 17". DDR3 and running at 1333MHz using SO-DIMMs.

The 2.0GHz C2D is just a filler for the prototype. Processors should start at 2.4GHz with an option for 2.66 and 2.8GHz.

It'll still utilize 2.5" HDDs and slim optical drives.

Wish list:
Discreet graphics options using an MXM card like the iMac.

Larger enclosure to support LGA775 processors.

Quad core option (either mobile or LGA775).

Keep the DVI port along with the miniDP.
post #179 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

After thinking about it for a bit, if this photo is legit, it can redeem the mini in a lot of people's (the people here, at least) eyes. It indeed looks like a prototype and Apple regularly sticks it's new secret machines in old cases, especially for prototypes out in the wild. That means that this could be a placeholder enclosure, but it also means the motherboard will be pretty much the same dimensions and therefore the case will likely be about the same size, maybe a bit bigger but at least the same as the current size.

Other thoughts:
5 USB ports is perfect. The 3 on my iMac are always filled and I could use an extra or 2 all the time.

It should support 802.11n wireless.

It should have the same chipset in the MacBook/MB Pro 15 & 17, a variant of the MPC79 series.

RAM should be upgradable to 8GB, like the MBP 17". DDR3 and running at 1333MHz using SO-DIMMs.

The 2.0GHz C2D is just a filler for the prototype. Processors should start at 2.4GHz with an option for 2.66 and 2.8GHz.

It'll still utilize 2.5" HDDs and slim optical drives.

Wish list:
Discreet graphics options using an MXM card like the iMac.

Larger enclosure to support LGA775 processors.

Quad core option (either mobile or LGA775).

Keep the DVI port along with the miniDP.

I think you'll be disappointed.

I really doubt the mini will support more than 4gbs of RAM. Anything over 4 is encroaching on pro territory.

I really doubt there'll be an option for dedicated graphics. But the 9400m is really pretty good and not such a terrible alternative IMO. At least from what I've read.

Actually the photos look real but I've a hard time believing that Apple will be so generous with the ports. I hope they will be but color me skeptical.
post #180 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

You're missing my point. They don't have to buy ACDs, they can buy any, and use mini-DP to DVI adapters. Yes, having to buy adapters sucks, but even with mini-DVI they need adapters, so there's no point in having two different connectors on the back. It adds nothing.

And if monoprice, etc. can make an adapter, they could make a 6'/2m cable with mini-DVI or mini-DisplayPort on one end and HDMI, DVI-D, etc. on the other.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #181 of 222
Quote:

The FW800 is nice, but what the hell does anyone need five USB ports for on this level of computer?

Keyboard, printer, scanner, external hard drive and an open slot for the occasional flash drive. Assuming mouse plugs into keyboard.
post #182 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by au5lander View Post

if not using BT keyboard/mouse, that's 2, plus a printer, 3, that leaves only 2 left for cameras/card readers/etc.

And don't forget your iPhone and iPod. One for each so you can charge them at the same time. And you'll need a 3rd for your shuffle (for the gym) which doesn't use the dock connector and you won't want to have to be swapping cables!
post #183 of 222
I have a feeling that this is going to be the low-end, bare bone version (pic in article) The same idea as having two different Macbook models. the white (old) and unibody (new)

its going to look exactly the same as the current model with the exception of the added USB port and FW800. this will be the low,low end computer that apple sales.

The NEW mac mini will have a brand new design to match everything else. It will have the new invidia chipset, and an intel core 2 duo CPU pumping out the same speed as the new macbooks. DDR3 RAM, new display port, and the ability to add another drive if one desires to. it will priced maybe around the current models, or a little higher

maybe the apple logo will even glow this time.......
post #184 of 222
I'm going to say it for the third time...I think this pic is real.

Now one of the only things that annoys me about the current Mac mini is that it's a bitch to get into. I hope that Apple is planning on creating a Cube-like (or even easier) way of getting to the innards.

I bet the low-end $599 version will be 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/120GB HD; the high-end version will be 2.4GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD; optional 320GB HD, optional 4GB RAM. Both models will have a Superdrive.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #185 of 222
Quote:

4. WiFI 802.11n
5. Firewire 800
6. HDMI output
7. Bluray disk drive

3. eSATA interface
4. Solid State hard disk
5. Smaller dimensions

I don’t think that the Mac mini on the picture is going to gain a big market share.

Dream on... Lets not forget this is a $599/$799 computer. The features you want on a new Mac would cost around $2000-2500.

Blu-ray isn't going to be installed on a $599 Mac. Solidstate HD again isn't going to make it into a $599 computer. Both technologies are way too expensive at this point and Apple isn't about to install a blu-ray drive into a MacMini so people can buy blu-ray movies instead of using the iTunes Movie Store. Also, it would be another license Apple would have to pay just to put the blu-ray drive and make OS X compatible with the technology. Blu-ray isn't a free technology you know....

USB ports are far more important than FW ports are. The lack of USB ports has always been a complaint of the Mac. Making people buy a hub is a crappy way around it IMO. There's no reason not to put more USB ports on today's Macs. I believe the MacMini is geared more toward switchers than anything, most of which want USB ports because they're used to seeing at least 4 or 5 on any given PC these days.

I think there comes a point where the computer is too small. The smaller the computer the more problems it creates. You have to have Apple either design a special cooling system and/or not upgrade the CPU as fast as other products.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #186 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I'm going to say it for the third time...I think this pic is real.

Now one of the only things that annoys me about the current Mac mini is that it's a bitch to get into. I hope that Apple is planning on creating a Cube-like (or even easier) way of getting to the innards.

I bet the low-end $599 version will be 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/120GB HD; the high-end version will be 2.4GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD; optional 320GB HD, optional 4GB RAM. Both models will have a Superdrive.

Would be nice to see, but creating easy access to the insides isn't always a great thing for Apple. It gives people more incentive to do things they wouldn't normally do or attempt. Then if something get broken Apple has more warranty claims and/or more crap to deal with as far as arguing with customers whether or not something was broken as a result of what the customer was doing. I gotta believe this is one of the reasons why Apple stopped making the flat panel iMac so the rear panel came completely off.

post #187 of 222
Regarding the firewire port, remember that there are plenty of people out there using Mac Minis as servers, often chaining a bunch of them together via FireWire to serve as a cluster, just like people have done with PowerMacs and Mac Pros.
post #188 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Regarding the firewire port, remember that there are plenty of people out there using Mac Minis as servers, often chaining a bunch of them together via FireWire to serve as a cluster, just like people have done with PowerMacs and Mac Pros.

You could use gigabit ethernet just as easy....

post #189 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Dream on... Lets not forget this is a $599/$799 computer. The features you want on a new Mac would cost around $2000-2500.

Blu-ray isn't going to be installed on a $599 Mac. Solidstate HD again isn't going to make it into a $599 computer. Both technologies are way too expensive at this point and Apple isn't about to install a blu-ray drive into a MacMini so people can buy blu-ray movies instead of using the iTunes Movie Store. Also, it would be another license Apple would have to pay just to put the blu-ray drive and make OS X compatible with the technology. Blu-ray isn't a free technology you know....

USB ports are far more important than FW ports are. The lack of USB ports has always been a complaint of the Mac. Making people buy a hub is a crappy way around it IMO. There's no reason not to put more USB ports on today's Macs. I believe the MacMini is geared more toward switchers than anything, most of which want USB ports because they're used to seeing at least 4 or 5 on any given PC these days.

I think there comes a point where the computer is too small. The smaller the computer the more problems it creates. You have to have Apple either design a special cooling system and/or not upgrade the CPU as fast as other products.

If you have noticed, I distinguish the first 8 features from the rest 5. Those 8 will definitely not cost$2000-2500! First 5 are all common to almost all new inexpensive computers as well as to the new Macbooks (except FW). I don't think that Firewire and HDMI port will increase the total cost that much. As for the Blue-ray drive, many not very expensive laptops from other manufactures already use it and within the next months prices for those drives are going to drop significantly. I don't think that all those 8 features are such unrealistic for a product pricing less than 1000$. If Apple decide not to use Blue-ray drives, this is going to happen for other than cost reasons.

As for the latest 5 features, I am not expecting to see them right now on Mac mini. But as technology goes further so quickly and prices drop, it will not be impressing to see some of them in the near future even as options.

On my Mac mini I have 9 USB devices connected, using external Hubs. 4 or 5 integrated ports doesn't make much difference, you will need the external hub anyway if you use your Mini as a desktop computer. But for this desktop use, at least 1 Firewire is really important if you want to connect external drives and camcorders especially when dealing with video editing as I do. I definitely prefer less USB ports for having space for other ports like FW, HDMI etc.
post #190 of 222
Quote:

4. WiFI 802.11n
5. Firewire 800
6. HDMI output
7. Bluray disk drive

1. Probably will happen.
2. The Mac Mini always has lesser graphic capabilities. It's a machine designed to get you to upgrade.
3. Would love it, but not going to happen.
4. Absolutely will happen.
5. Absolutely will happen.
6. Not unless they kill off Apple TV.
7. Not going to happen. If Apple ever does Blu-Ray, it will start in the Mac Pro line.
8. I doubt it. Maybe slightly bigger footprint to match the other square products, but that's it.
post #191 of 222
Although I can to some extend believe that this may at some point have been a considerable prototype.

The esthetics of it are far too outdated to be possible as they would be inconherant with the new line up. So Yea I call fake on this.

I definetly thinking UNIBODY Mac Mini with an all or mostly aluminum exterior.
post #192 of 222
Fake? Gizmodo and a Photoshop guy over on 9to5 think so ...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5157263/mac-min...-declared-fake

post #193 of 222
post #194 of 222
Where's Thinksecret when you need them.
post #195 of 222
Quote:

If that's a mock-up, it's a good one. Might finally be time to get a new Mac!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #196 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

This guy's reputation as a 'specialist' is now in tatters thanks to the video. I wonder how many people specialize in PCBs as well as imaging. My guess is this guy saw the port alignment, found photoshop on his machine, opened it and became a Photoshop specialist.

Thing is, you can edit images in so many ways to make it look like artifacts are uneven but they look fine in the image. The line drawing is unreliable - if you try to draw lines on the fan ports, you'll be hard pressed to get them to go parallel. The position of the small ports isn't bad because the laptops have vertically central ports too and aesthetically it's better as it minimizes negative space, improves symmetry etc.
post #197 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

Although I can to some extend believe that this may at some point have been a considerable prototype.

The esthetics of it are far too outdated to be possible as they would be inconherant with the new line up. So Yea I call fake on this.

I definetly thinking UNIBODY Mac Mini with an all or mostly aluminum exterior.

A unibody Mac mini would be foolish, foolishly expensive, and foolishly unnecessary. A desktop computer does not need the rigidity that a portable computer needs. Weight is also not a factor. Also, the percentage of aluminum you'd have to mill out of a block (like the mini) vs a thin slab (like a laptop) would be much greater. So it would cost even more to manufacture (extra milling time, expense, energy; higher cost to recycle the greater amount of scrap that would result). The unibody construction resulted in an INCREASE in the price of the MacBook. Most poeple think the $600 base price of the mini is already to expensive to compete for switcher dollars.

I'm not saying the mini couldn't use a facelift, but it certainly won't be unibody.
post #198 of 222
post #199 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Interestingly, the parts they are saying indicate an altered photo (ie, "all of that confetti you're seeing around the ports and power plug are pretty suspect") are the parts of that EXACTLY match the current mini design and wouldn't need to be altered in the first place! So why would there be editing aritifacts in those areas that didn't need to be editted?

Edit: Also, if you look at the real photo (instead of this cartoon transformation of the photo), you'll see that the far right USB port that he is claiming was editted in because of mis-alignment doesn't match any of the other USB ports. The shadows, highlights, and perspective angles are slightly different from each of the other four ports. Each port as you move left to right shows a slight and consistent shift in each of these parameters. So where did this "extra" port come from? It certainly wasn't cloned from one of the existing 4 ports.
post #200 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

It's real.

Well... that's certainly interesting. I guess it boils down to whether it's real as in "to be produced and sold" or real as in a prototype of unknown status and future. Inquiring minds want to know.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Photo of next-gen Apple Mac mini in the wild?