or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Report: Steve Jobs cuts back on instant messaging
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: Steve Jobs cuts back on instant messaging - Page 3

post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

After being so totally wrong so many times, you'd think that you'd just give up posting your predictions here.
In case you haven't noticed, you are in disagreement with the majority on pretty much all of these statements, yet you frame each and every one of them as something that "everyone knows" or "it's a fact that" etc. I think you must be a (not especially gifted) teenager or something. Most people know how to write better and construct a proper argument before they leave High School.

This one takes the cake though.

It makes me think you are just pretending to be a dimwit for fun, as a sort of forum "character."


Apple's business model is one of the best out there. One of the main reasons being their spectacular margins, yet you are advocating that they swallow some of that margin to produce products in a price range you like?

Apple's design chops are second to none, yet you are suggesting they use inferior materials or cheaper designs so as to produce products that *you* find acceptable and again, in a price range you like.

Apple's customer satisfaction ratings are through the roof, and again, second to none in their end of the business, but you are suggesting that there are so many people out there (like you) that are so dissatisfied that Apple should change everything around again to focus on "what people (in other words just you) really want."

I don't think LOL or even ROFL even begins to cover the reaction to this comment.
These are stunningly dumb ideas. Comically so.


Wrong so many times? I think not.

With regard to design team, it's more of less one person, not a team, you don't know that? WOW.

With regard to iPhone and Adobe, are you of the "it's adobes fault" camp?
Google the subject matter and you will see that Apple indeed fears that Adobe will develop flash based applications. Here is one of many articles. It has nothing to do with Adobe delays.
Man you guys are naive. Post a topic on Apple forums why there is no flash on the iphone and you'll get numerous finger pointing at ADOBE, reply with Adobe says APPLE is hindering them due to fear of applications, flashed based, and the post will get deleted. Hmmm, why is that?

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/1...-flash-on.html

Secondly, how do you defend that when the Macbook could run Motion and barefeats.com reported that the GPU was fine for OpenGL that Apple turned around a few months later and released a new GPU that brought GPU benchmarks from 171% down to <70%? How do you defend this? It didn't affect ANYONE else except the PRO user as you couldn't play games on it.
Releasing this slow GPU was to STOP PRO users from using the macbook for PRO applications, so yeah, I have a beef with Apple going out of their way to cripple the machine for PRO users when it was the PRO that made them who they are. Now Apple is a consumer electronics company catering more to barking dogs and learning how to send emails in ONE TO ONE training vs teaching MOTION and FINAL cut, which Apple used to do when ONE TO ONE was part of PRO CARE. Now you would be hard pressed to find an Apple 1 to 1 trainer that has a clue about SHAKE, LOGIC, MOTION, as most learn iLife.

Apple did the same thing with the new Macbook. While the GPU is plenty fast for Motion and other PRO App's, they made sure that by removing FIREWIRE, any pro user with a camcorder was SOL. Not to mention the thousands of musicians that have firewire audio interfaces.

You also say I'm wrong all the time? Why is it most think that Steve is just stepping down for a little while when I said he was sick and not coming back. Now it appears that this is true and it is. He is NOT coming back and while most of the dumb dumbs here might think new products may be a result of Apple tech. crew NOW, most of these products have been ready to go BEFORE macworld but as Steve got sicker, they devised this plan.

Trust me, you have no idea what you're talking about. About a year ago, I posted how Apple's back of house has virus protection and was hammered here by everyone telling me that it wasn't true, so, I emailed Kasper some of the images that I had (I worked for Apple) of screen shots that I took from their back of house computers, then everyone changed their tune to "you shouldn't be telling secrets if you work for them" - so I have a problem with people singing one tune one day, then singing another tune the next day.

I look for the truth and despise anyone that sputters FUD as Apple did with their commecials and how their products don't need virust protection or how Apple goes out of their way to cripple a machine that affects less than 1% of their market base (Pro User). Sorry fanboy, but while I like Apple products, I will not stand idle and let the fanboyz think Jobs can do no wrong.

You say Apple has a great business model? Really? Did you watch the iMac retro video where Steve says, he visions the iMac in every home? Where every user can get online effortlessly? How did that go? Not well. They were overpriced and the only place the iMac ended up were in offices in Los Angeles, New York and education, hardly any home users had an imac. It wasn't until Apple switched to Intel, dropped the price, that they saw any growth at all. A far cry from what Jobs envisioned. Compared to PC's, they are still a small percentage compared to PC users. Sure they have a decent business model, but there are many companies that are doing better and most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, especially with iPhones as millions of users have contracts expiring in several months.

With regard to predictions, I have always been right - sure my presentation might erk some, but I don't care. When you read a book about marketing and it names the top 10 things to look for in a bad boss and Jobs had all 10, I couldn't help but start posting around these forums.

Combine that with Job's paranoia (see Keynote with uni body) where Steve's meds must have been working overdrive as he told everyone "times up, pass it along, you can look at it later" have you ever seen someone so paranoid!!!

Yeah, Steves just relaxing... a huh.
And for those that think privacy is key, not so when it comes to Apple, Jobs is the face of Apple and if he is misleading the SEC (which he is), Apple is in for a world of hurt. Just a matter of time before all this comes to light.

In the meantime, good for you that you see Apple as "do no wrong" - good for you, I'm sure Apple loves to take your money.
post #82 of 103
But If Cringely had reported that: "Steve's health has been improving by leaps and bounds. Sources say he's been seen jogging, is gaining weight and using iChat 24x7" I'm not sure many of you would be asking that AI remove their article would you? Hmmm?


No, didn't think so.
post #83 of 103
Here's a thought: Maybe Steve, like me, bought a brand new PowerMac back in August that turned out to be such a turd that after three months of spending hours every day with Apple tech support agents, each of whom contradicted the agent before, the company finally decided to replace it.

And maybe the machine they replaced it with was equally defective.

And maybe Steve's just tired of hearing how a) the problem couldn't be Apple-related because he installed a non-Apple hard drive/speaker/ash tray in his office and b) the only solution was to erase the entire hard drive and reinstall everything.

Maybe Steve, like me, has had enough of spinning beach balls, windows that take 15-30 seconds to open or close, hard drives that unmount themselves in the middle of saving, and applications that crash because he has the audacity to try to run them.

It's enough to make a guy want to take six months off.
post #84 of 103
Nah, I've read your stuff for ages now and almost all your arguments are strictly loony tunes.

I was a bit mean about saying so, which probably engendered this rabid (and long) reply, so I apologise for that but nothing you say here convinces me you know what you're taking about in the slightest. I formally apologise for yanking your chain, but what you say is so egregious, so silly and so off-the-cuff, that it just begs to be "called out."

I'll just single out this particularly nutty paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

You say Apple has a great business model? Really? Did you watch the iMac retro video where Steve says, he visions the iMac in every home? Where every user can get online effortlessly? How did that go? Not well. They were overpriced and the only place the iMac ended up were in offices in Los Angeles, New York and education, hardly any home users had an imac. It wasn't until Apple switched to Intel, dropped the price, that they saw any growth at all. A far cry from what Jobs envisioned. Compared to PC's, they are still a small percentage compared to PC users. Sure they have a decent business model, but there are many companies that are doing better and most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, especially with iPhones as millions of users have contracts expiring in several months.

I mean did you even read what you wrote here before you posted it?

1) The fact that Apple has a "great business model" is pretty much proven by the fact that we are in the middle of a world-wide recession and Apple is doing better than their competitors by leaps and bounds.

2) You take a single generalised media statement by Jobs "An Apple in every home" that was arguably never intended to be taken literally, and has no figures or dates attached to it and then hold Apple responsible for not making that happen? Really? Do you even understand the historical reference he was making there?

3) You are arguing market share as a reason why they "have a bad business model" when Apple has never been that concerned with market share and has specifically stated that they do *not* want to "take over the market" in the same sense as Microsoft does. Apple has stated over and over again that their goal is to make the best products they can and to capture that portion of the market that can see the value in their products. They are not Dell or Microsoft, have no aspirations to be Dell etc.

4) You throw in another one of your unsupported generalisations when you say "most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, ..." when you have no evidence of that fact, and it's trivial to prove it isn't even true. At best, your exaggerated language and over-use of superlatives is confusing your meaning here. I'm not going to get into why "markets" can't really "predict" anything as I know from experience that your language skills seem limited.

That's just in the one paragraph.
Reply as you like, I am getting out of this flame war now. See'ya.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #85 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by belefant View Post

Here's a thought: Maybe Steve, like me, bought a brand new PowerMac back in August that turned out to be such a turd that after three months of spending hours every day with Apple tech support agents, each of whom contradicted the agent before, the company finally decided to replace it.

Part of your problem is that you bought an old machine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #86 of 103
Here's hoping he's just laying back, recovering, watching lots of TV, and thinking how much better it would be if the next Apple TV could do this or that.
post #87 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Sure. All your comments have been heard, guys. Our apologies.

K

Very cool of you Kasper. I seriously hope this slows down on AI. We understand this is a rumor site, but some of this Steve Jobs crap is getting out of control.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #88 of 103
Hey Kasper!!

I just heard that Steve Jobs has not taken a piss in over four hours! Please do us all a favor and post that rumor too will you? I mean, mine is no less trash than what you posted right?

Now, if you flag my comment as bad behavior, then you would be a hypocrite too.

Enough of this tabloid garbage! AI should be above the sewer. Not within it.
post #89 of 103
This is flamebait. Thanks for ruining my evening, Zach.
post #90 of 103
"I buried Paul..."
post #91 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Not sure about everyone here but in some respect, if and when Jobs steps down for good, I think the marketing department will have more headway and won't be afraid of introducing products that the people want instead of releasing products that are crippled (macbook, newer GPU, no firewire), and start releasing products that get the job done without having to spends a few thousand dollars in order to get a $3.00 part.


BIG mistake, that would be the beginning of the end.
post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

BIG mistake, that would be the beginning of the end.

Maybe, maybe not.

The biggest difference between Apple and other Fortune companies is that the marketing department is spearheaded by Jobs. Everything. He IS a CONTROL FREAK!

When Job's steps down, watch for a more laid back and general consumer devices. Presently, the Mac towers do not sell, and Apple's marketing is structure in a way that for a few hundered dollars, you can get that one more thing, until suddenly, you've gone from needing a macbook to needing a Macbook Pro.

Example. You're an art student and need a laptop. You are told Photoshop will work fine on the Macbook. Then you say you might do some DVD's, so you for sure need the DVD burner, now you go from bottom feeder to mid level macbook. Then you are told there is a student discount. Then you decide you need firewire or will do motion, you then compare the price of the entry level macbook pro compared to top of the line Macbook and realize it's not that much. Sure, it's quite a difference from what you thought you needed when you first walked into the store, but it's not that much from the high end Macbook to the low end Macbook Pro - this is their model and how they give you ALMOST everything you need, but with a catch, so if you must have a certain need to be filled, you can justify the price by comparing it, not the lowest ended model, but by comparing it to a model that is fairly close by comparison.

What I am saying is once Job's steps down, we will begin to see machines that can do more work for less dollars, i.e. a Macbook with firewire. The older macbooks had firewire but crappy GPU, therefore, no MOTION or 3D Applications. The new Macbooks have dedicated GPU but no firewire, (always a catch), watch for these types of things to stop once Job's steps down. I think this increases Apple sales, not decreases and it's a good thing not a bad thing as consumers will win win with better machines, better price points, no more games, just dedicated hardware at a reasonable price and for the premium machines, more CPU and GPU cycles. Additionally, the Mac Pro will probably see a price cut within the next cycle as Apple will departure from the need to use ECC memory and the need for heavy heat sink memory boards. Again, another win win for the consumer.
post #93 of 103
Leave the man in peace.
post #94 of 103
For what it's worth, I don't believe that Steve Jobs will ever return to work at Apple. If I am correct, the only reason that Steve Jobs didn't quit outright was that he wanted his stock options to accrue and vest so that he could cash them.

It would be a sad ending for a man who deserved better.

The signs are too numerous to ignore. Sadly.
post #95 of 103
Please leave the poor man alone. Maybe Apple community needs to learn to leave the man alone. Apple is not where it is just because of Steve. It is the creative juice and hard working Apple people. I am sure Steve feels the same way.

Apple community needs to get used to the idea that Steve, their hero, is also a human like rest of us.
post #96 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

For what it's worth, I don't believe that Steve Jobs will ever return to work at Apple. If I am correct, the only reason that Steve Jobs didn't quit outright was that he wanted his stock options to accrue and vest so that he could cash them.

It would be a sad ending for a man who deserved better.

The signs are too numerous to ignore. Sadly.

This the dumbest post of many dumb posts on this thread. Steve Jobs will return to Apple *if* his health allows him to. You have to be blind not to realize that the man is completely obsessed with Apple, and making it a success, producing insanely great things that will change the world and proving his critics wrong again and again is what he lives for.

If he doesn't return, it will be for health reasons and health reasons alone.
post #97 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Nah, I've read your stuff for ages now and almost all your arguments are strictly loony tunes.

I was a bit mean about saying so, which probably engendered this rabid (and long) reply, so I apologise for that but nothing you say here convinces me you know what you're taking about in the slightest. I formally apologise for yanking your chain, but what you say is so egregious, so silly and so off-the-cuff, that it just begs to be "called out."

I'll just single out this particularly nutty paragraph:
I mean did you even read what you wrote here before you posted it?

1) The fact that Apple has a "great business model" is pretty much proven by the fact that we are in the middle of a world-wide recession and Apple is doing better than their competitors by leaps and bounds.

2) You take a single generalised media statement by Jobs "An Apple in every home" that was arguably never intended to be taken literally, and has no figures or dates attached to it and then hold Apple responsible for not making that happen? Really? Do you even understand the historical reference he was making there?

3) You are arguing market share as a reason why they "have a bad business model" when Apple has never been that concerned with market share and has specifically stated that they do *not* want to "take over the market" in the same sense as Microsoft does. Apple has stated over and over again that their goal is to make the best products they can and to capture that portion of the market that can see the value in their products. They are not Dell or Microsoft, have no aspirations to be Dell etc.

4) You throw in another one of your unsupported generalisations when you say "most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, ..." when you have no evidence of that fact, and it's trivial to prove it isn't even true. At best, your exaggerated language and over-use of superlatives is confusing your meaning here. I'm not going to get into why "markets" can't really "predict" anything as I know from experience that your language skills seem limited.

That's just in the one paragraph.
Reply as you like, I am getting out of this flame war now. See'ya.



post #98 of 103
As someone who's gone to bat with the big one the last thing you want to do is get brought down or barraged with connections from others. A few is good, close and personal who care and understand what's going on. He's in a bit of a situation where things are happening both fast and slow. This is NOT a time for this for him.

So he's not logging into chat servers. And....
post #99 of 103
This is exactly what I'm talking about. We need to focus our collective good thoughts on Steve's health and help him get better. Stock value is not my concern right now. Having Steve healthy, and living happily with his wife and children is everything. Please visit http://www.thankyousteve.org/ and send your good wishes to Steve and his family.

Mahalo
post #100 of 103
Actually, I think in general it is good to cut down on instant messaging. I forum and email but I don't IM much at all.
post #101 of 103
Meh, there's been worse. Forgive all that have come and all that will come to pass and you shall find peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp.8472 View Post

That Jobs and his extended personality, Apple, are RENOWN for their history of DECEIT, lack of INTEGRITY and MANIPULATION of the TRUTH purely for their own ends........

....(eg like the truth after all his statements to the contrary that emerged - he ACTUALLY risked months of potential cancer growth by arrogantly/ignorantly delaying the best chance scientific/medical option of surgery pursuing instead some 'credible evidence free' alternative hocus pocus medicine diet nonsense - likely now such STUPIDITY resulting in his current premature death bed)........

........has resulted in all this gigantic unstoppable media wave of ENDLESS FEVERENT UBIQUITOUS mistrust and speculation and so is THOROUGHLY DESERVED for such constant insidious behaviour...Apple + Jobs are like the boy that cried wolf .......THOU SHALT REAP WHAT THOU SOWS......Does the thought of NO Jobs make the HYSTERICAL(we are after all on a technology site) BABOONS, on this thread, own lives so unbearable to imagine...perhaps U could pick a fanatical cult with more integrity () to be part of next time...or better yet DON'T become part of one at all....just remember how this all started so easily with Apple's PR/brainwashing.....WHAT!? U don't remember that happening...er...
post #102 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

For what it's worth, I don't believe that Steve Jobs will ever return to work at Apple. If I am correct, the only reason that Steve Jobs didn't quit outright was that he wanted his stock options to accrue and vest so that he could cash them.

It would be a sad ending for a man who deserved better.

The signs are too numerous to ignore. Sadly.

If Steve Jobs was cured tomorrow and he stopped working tomorrow just to chill out and spend time with family, he would (does) have all the money he needs. Waiting for some stock options, however many millions, he and his family already have more than enough for the rest of their lives.

*Unless* based on his personal health struggle he starts up a new company involving Biotech creating artificial organs and so on. Steve Jobs Phase 2. First, the iMac. It took, what 25 years to reach what one might consider its true maturity? Next, the iHuman. Maybe 15 years time... Coming by 2025. Somehow Woz will not really be involved in the iHuman project but will claim credit for it somehow and go on TV and stuff.
post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Maybe, maybe not.

The biggest difference between Apple and other Fortune companies is that the marketing department is spearheaded by Jobs. Everything. He IS a CONTROL FREAK!

When Job's steps down, watch for a more laid back and general consumer devices. Presently, the Mac towers do not sell, and Apple's marketing is structure in a way that for a few hundered dollars, you can get that one more thing, until suddenly, you've gone from needing a macbook to needing a Macbook Pro.

Example. You're an art student and need a laptop. You are told Photoshop will work fine on the Macbook. Then you say you might do some DVD's, so you for sure need the DVD burner, now you go from bottom feeder to mid level macbook. Then you are told there is a student discount. Then you decide you need firewire or will do motion, you then compare the price of the entry level macbook pro compared to top of the line Macbook and realize it's not that much. Sure, it's quite a difference from what you thought you needed when you first walked into the store, but it's not that much from the high end Macbook to the low end Macbook Pro - this is their model and how they give you ALMOST everything you need, but with a catch, so if you must have a certain need to be filled, you can justify the price by comparing it, not the lowest ended model, but by comparing it to a model that is fairly close by comparison.

What I am saying is once Job's steps down, we will begin to see machines that can do more work for less dollars, i.e. a Macbook with firewire. The older macbooks had firewire but crappy GPU, therefore, no MOTION or 3D Applications. The new Macbooks have dedicated GPU but no firewire, (always a catch), watch for these types of things to stop once Job's steps down. I think this increases Apple sales, not decreases and it's a good thing not a bad thing as consumers will win win with better machines, better price points, no more games, just dedicated hardware at a reasonable price and for the premium machines, more CPU and GPU cycles. Additionally, the Mac Pro will probably see a price cut within the next cycle as Apple will departure from the need to use ECC memory and the need for heavy heat sink memory boards. Again, another win win for the consumer.

You haven't a clue what a control freak is or is not. Marry a bi-polar manic depressant. Then you know what a control freak is or is not.

I've worked twice for the Man and he was nothing like my Ex-Wife.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Report: Steve Jobs cuts back on instant messaging