or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T rivals seen driving down cost of iPhone service

AT&T rivals seen driving down cost of iPhone service - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In Australia I pay $A79 a month ($US51) on a 24 month contract the 8GB is free, the 16GB is $A121 ($US78).

For that I get $A550 calls SMS or whatever else I want to use, which is around 600 minutes and 1000 minutes of free calls intra Network on weekends.

The calls cover anywhere in Australia and it's free to receive calls

Plus 400MB of data which I use in full as open wireless networks are few and far between.

My monthly fee costs around 3 hours of average weekly earnings.

My iPhone is officially unlocked, if I travel I can use any SIM.

Yet, Apple has sold far more iPhones in the USA than in any other country, despite what everyone keeps insisting is such a terrible deal. Wierd!

For what it's worth, per capita income in the USA is about 33% higher than in Australia, so are you surprised that consumer prices are also higher?

http://www.finfacts.ie/biz10/globalw...epercapita.htm
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again: AT&T is a complete and total rip-off and only fool would pay those ridiculous prices for a freakin' PHONE!

So apparently saying something stupid doesn't prevent you from saying it again? Of course if all that iPhone owners, or for that matter Blackberry users (since they pay similar prices), needed was a phone there are plenty of other, cheaper options.

Of all the things my iPhone 3G does well, the phone part is probably the least of it.

Neil
post #43 of 56
Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: AT&T is a complete and total rip-off and only fool would pay those ridiculous prices for a freakin' PHONE!

That's funny - as someone for whom time is money, the iPhone with data plan is one of the easiest decisions I made, and I haven't regretted it once.

To put it more clearly - having the iPhone causes my income to be higher than it would be with any other phone.
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Just curious - how old are you?

As people get older, they tend to start valuing their time more. So that little throwaway word, the last word in your post... that's kinda important. Convenience. $2 per day is all the iPhone costs. For people who value their time and appreciate well made things, that's probably the best deal around. And you know what, the sales numbers bear it out.

I'm old enough (not that it's any of your business) to know better than to waste my hard earned money on an expensive gizmo that doesn't offer any monetary return, especially when it's simply for pleasure.

For all of you who read what you wanted to read and not what I wrote, if the iPhone can make money, if it is part of your business, if it can justify sucking up $1200 (or more) a year in service fees ($3.28 a day minimum), then by all means go for it. If you are paying those prices out of your take home pay just for the cachet of having an iPhone, you're a fool at any age. AT&T loves people like you.

And sales figures prove little. How many iPhones has Apple sold? There are how many potential customers in the world? One thing is for sure, there is no shortage of people willing to throw good money after bad.
post #45 of 56
Quote:

I'm old enough (not that it's any of your business) to know better than to waste my hard earned money on an expensive gizmo that doesn't offer any monetary return, especially when it's simply for pleasure.

I guess that's the difference - I don't think that spending money to save myself time, ESPECIALLY in my "free" time, is a bad idea. The iPhone saves me time by allowing me to look up information anywhere I am in seconds. I can check movie times (Flixster), reserve a table for dinner (OpenTable), find where I am when my normal GPS is on the fritz (it hates the cold) and identify that song on the radio I've always wanted but never knew what it was called (Shazam). I can do IM on the road (Palringo), or send email, or check the 7 day weather forecast for a far off city if I'm thinking of getting a flight. I can check the NFL scores in a second (Sportacular), browse Craigslist (Craigsphone), buy and sell stocks (iStockManager) and make free calls from overseas with Skype (Fring). Finding my car without worrying (G-Park) in a huge parking lot is priceless. I can see the DC traffic cameras any time. These are just the apps I use on my phone.

All these things save me various amounts of time - from the 10 minutes I won't waste finding a parking space to the 30 I won't waste because I have a reservation when I arrive at the restaurant rather than putting my name on the list. In my world, and in most other peoples' (who have disposable income), time is money, and in the modern world we are all very short on quality time to spend doing the things we actually want to do. I'd pay another $50 a month for the iPhone, and for MobileMe I'd keep my subscription if it cost $400 a year instead of $100.

If your "spare" time is worth so little to you that you can't justify spending $3 a day to make it more abundant and/or pleasureable, I frankly feel sorry for you.
post #46 of 56
The iPhone certainly saves me time and effort. Before I had a smartphone. I used to have to carry my notebook quite often, and had to know where WiFi hotspots were. So that I could frequently check and answer business emails I get while I'm out in the field.

Now with the iPhone I don't have to lug around a notebook as much. I'm always connected to the internet. I always instantly receive and am able to answer emails.

As far as people who don't need an iPhone for business and use it largely for pleasure. Its up to them to decide if they feel its worth their money. I don't feel I can make that judgment for other people. But their is so much that can be done on the iPhone, everyone can find some important use for it.

This isn't simply the iPhone, anyone using any smartphone from AT&T or Verizon are paying these types of rates.

Quote:

For all of you who read what you wanted to read and not what I wrote, if the iPhone can make money, if it is part of your business, if it can justify sucking up $1200 (or more) a year in service fees ($3.28 a day minimum), then by all means go for it. If you are paying those prices out of your take home pay just for the cachet of having an iPhone, you're a fool at any age. AT&T loves people like you.
post #47 of 56
I will never understand how people can justify spending $80 to $130 per month for a phone plan that doesn't even allow you unlimited talk & Internet. As much as I'd like to move to a more fully featured phone I refuse to until they offer a plan like I have with Metro PCS.. If Metro PCS can offer a no contract unlimited minutes, text & Internet plan for $45.00 per month then so can AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile.. Someone explain how Metro PCS can lease the same towers that the other big players use & still make money with their $45.00 plan but AT&T states that they can't.. Doesn't make sense to me that people would even believe that bull, much less be so willing to give away their hard earned cash for 2 yrs..
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

I will never understand how people can justify spending $80 to $130 per month for a phone plan that doesn't even allow you unlimited talk & Internet. As much as I'd like to move to a more fully featured phone I refuse to until they offer a plan like I have with Metro PCS.. If Metro PCS can offer a no contract unlimited minutes, text & Internet plan for $45.00 per month then so can AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile.. Someone explain how Metro PCS can lease the same towers that the other big players use & still make money with their $45.00 plan but AT&T states that they can't.. Doesn't make sense to me that people would even believe that bull, much less be so willing to give away their hard earned cash for 2 yrs..

It's crazy that one product or service could possibly cost more than another. All are exactly the same. Like Dell and HP selling 15" notebooks for $400 when Apple's 15" notebook starts at $2000. It makes no sense!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #49 of 56
Quote:

It's got me beat why people pay hundred's of thousands for a Ferrari when you can buy a Kia which does sustantially the same thing for a fraction of the cost or spend millions on a waterfront property when there is perfectly good housing near railway lines, airports and industrial estates again for a fraction of the cost.

People must be crazy!

'Unlimited' in Australia has fine print, our 'unlimited' plans cost more than I currently spend.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #50 of 56
I hope this is accurate. I carry an iPhone around courtesy of my employer but I wouldn't own one at the prices of current plans. It's a beautiful gadget and I use it constantly but the monthly fee, even if you strip away text, is ridiculous. It's too bad because I think Apple has the right prices for the phone itself but AT&T's pricing ruins it.
post #51 of 56
OMG

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #52 of 56
I wanted an iPhone since it came out, but did not, simply because of the service cost. If at&t would drop the cost and make a great offer, I would get one tomorrow.
post #53 of 56
From what I understand about Metro PCS. They only offer service in a small number of major metropolitan areas. Their phones are not usable everywhere and they charge a lot for roaming.

Quote:

Someone explain how Metro PCS can lease the same towers that the other big players use & still make money with their $45.00 plan but AT&T states that they can't.. Doesn't make sense to me that people would even believe that bull, much less be so willing to give away their hard earned cash for 2 yrs..
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

From what I understand about Metro PCS. They only offer service in a small number of major metropolitan areas. Their phones are not usable everywhere and they charge a lot for roaming.

That is abig problem with them. I had them for about two months and it was not financially viable since you have to buy the phone right out. They are unlimited and you can call to anywhere in the US, but, as you stated about roaming, you can't be anywhere when you make the call. I couldn't get service in my home or yard; I had to walk out on the street. and there were plenty of places in my town that it would drop off. Not a good experience, but I'm certain there are many who do fit in their cell areas for work, home and whatnot and who do not travel much at all. Great for them, for me, not so much. AT&T has been great since my return. nearly two years ago.
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If your "spare" time is worth so little to you that you can't justify spending $3 a day to make it more abundant and/or pleasureable, I frankly feel sorry for you.

O spare me your sympathy. I neither want any nor expect any. As for your presumption that I have "spare" time. I'm too busy making money thanks, instead of wasting it on idle pursuits like parking the car or looking for movies theatres. And I dare say that your "spare" time is absolutely worthless since you waste it so frivolously.
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

Like I said before, service pricing is the only reason I don't have an iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Me too!

Me too !
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T rivals seen driving down cost of iPhone service