or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser - Page 7

post #241 of 278
Man I love the new Safari. I really think its perfect...the tabs are really nice now. Great work Apple.

By the way...I'm happy to report that I have successfully banned all Windows products from my home and business. Everything works so much better and smoother now. I feel cleansed!
post #242 of 278
`site genius' might be funny too
no easy way to get Top Sites be displayed in coverflow view, plists are completely different in structure, only manual populating of bookmarks remains, that lacks evidently smart reordering...
the mac os version doesn't offer yahoo search, weird...
god almighty, do i miss big pretty reload button!

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #243 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

`site genius' might be funny too

HAHA
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #244 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA

just being bored by complaining about tabs...

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #245 of 278
winblows
post #246 of 278
I'm really sick of the incredibly childish snide little remarks about Windows that AppleInsider loves to insert in their news stories. It's juvenile in the extreme and reeks pathetic fanboyism.

Report the facts, NOTHING MORE.
post #247 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

What's not to like about Safari 4?

Work great.

Hey, anyone else think it's snappier too?

What's not to like? I'd say the lack of all those useful Firefox extensions for one. That's the deal breaker for me. It's why I never used Chrome for long either.
post #248 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm really sick of the incredibly childish snide little remarks about Windows that AppleInsider loves to insert in their news stories. It's juvenile in the extreme and reeks pathetic fanboyism.

Report the facts, NOTHING MORE.

FACT...Microsoft and windows are crap. Sorry are you a PC...maybe you should run linux.
post #249 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

FACT...Microsoft and windows are crap. Sorry are you a PC...maybe you should run linux.

Oh my aching sides.
post #250 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh my aching sides.

hahaha i love it.
post #251 of 278
Quote:

As previously stated, it still hasn't passed if it achieves 100/100 too slowly.

Yeah I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWA View Post

Any if you are being really picky both browsers still do not have the complete pass, in terms of 100/100, pixel to pixel and smooth animation. Hint: Click the A on a completed test to see any errors. Safari 4 and Opera 10 both report problems

Quote:

WebKit passed (I mean everything) on 25-SEPT-2008.

I like to check what people say on my machine and as of today Webkit nightly still reports

Quote:
Test 26 passed, but took 35ms (less than 30fps)
Test 69 passed, but took 13 attempts (less than perfect).

Opera repots

Quote:
Test 26 passed, but took 111ms (less than 30fps)
Test 65 passed, but took 36ms (less than 30fps)
Test 69 passed, but took 6 attempts (less than perfect).

Still better than FF and way better than IE.

I agree that standards compliance is a great thing to strive towards and the battle between Opera and Webkit is a good thing overall.

I look forward to seeing what Safari 4 brings to the table on final release especially on Snow Leopard.
post #252 of 278
Quote:
Be that as it may, Ms. Sunshine, plists are a good deal simpler to deal with than the Hindenburg-esque disaster known commonly as the Windows Registry. No "ordinary human" knows what the fuck their PC's registry is, either, but Windows users often have to edit it if they want to tinker with hidden settings nobody's gotten around to writing a GUI utility for yet. Faced with the choice of dealing with either that or some clearly formatted text files, I'd take the latter. Most users will never need to know what a plist or a registry is, and that's just fine.

\t
If you know enough to go find and edit a plist file the Registry is no challenge.

Ljocampo:

Quote:
But you'd be had to find a Mac user who didn't know what a plist is!

Even if that's true, which it isn't, what the hell does that say about the design of Mac OSX and Mac OSX applications that the average user knows what plist files are and how to manipulate them?
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #253 of 278
(reported already, no worries, pls)
YouTube's snapshot is assigned to Google Maps

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #254 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by irchs View Post

Has the inline address bar progress indicator stopped working for anyone else? I get a little spinny indicator on the right, but the blue progress bar doesn't show at all...

Looks like the inline progress bar is gone. The spinning clock like thingie seems to be the replacement. Can get that from Firefox. That is also where the reload page button has gone. I am not so fond of the new look that is fine for Windows users, but I don't want my Mac to look like a PC. Next thing ya know, Apple will do the same for iTunes and Quicktime. If this is the plan, I might as well go back to Windows.
post #255 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

How do we reload/refresh a page? Or even stop a page from loading without closing it completely?

Refresh has moved to the right edge of the address line. Escape use to work to stop a page, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I don't like not being able to move the + button to bookmark a page. Nit picking for sure, but that is where my Home button goes.
post #256 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Firefox does it

Then use Firefox. The trick is to enable the option in the TABS preferences (sorry, don't know how to do pix) then use CMD+click to open in a new tab. I have always been a Safari fan until now. Firefox does look better now.
post #257 of 278
"Reset Safari" dialog contains "Reset Top Sites" and "Remove all page previews" checkboxes since now. Both are by default unchecked in mac os and checked in windows...

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #258 of 278
Why has all of a sudden safari 4 started to run slow for me? it was blazing fast at first and now its just ok?
post #259 of 278
Maybe not, but this is the only application where I might actually use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm worried that Cover Flow is the beginning of unnecessary feature bloat. Did people really ask for that?
post #260 of 278
If this has been discussed, then I apologize for the rehashing...

The features page for Safari 4 lists the inline progress bar as touted feature. This indicates to me that the PLIST option default to off was either an error, a last minute decision or, of course, the feature page is incorrect.
Inline Progress Indicator
Safari was the first browser to move the progress indicator into the address field, making it more visible and freeing up space for web content. At a glance, you can see exactly when a site is finished loading.
post #261 of 278
there's something wrong with marking AI threads read. Each time I return on the forum some definitely read topics are marked unread again

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #262 of 278
In general, I think Safari 4 beta is very nice. If you are a Firefox user who relies on extensions, it's not going to work for you. As a designer, I do think that WebKit is the nicest rendering engine and Nitro is certainly a nice JS engine. For personal use, it is my browser of choice. There are still times when I launch Firefox for for some necessary development related extension.

I give Mozilla all the credit in the world for creating that ecosystem, and I'm very glad it exists. However, even Firefox 3 is still not a proper OS X citizen IMO. FF3.1 beta is closer, but still not there. But they are progressing nicely.

The Google Chrome team has stated their intent to create a plugin framework, it will be very interesting to see if Safari adopts it.

On the OS citizen note, I'm very pleased that Safari 4 looks like a Windows app on Windows. This is how it should be. Safari 3 always felt very out of place on Windows. Applications should adopt the HIG of the OS.

My ideal world is the WebKit rendering engine, one of the cutting edge JS engines, plus extensions. Is that too much to ask?
post #263 of 278

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #264 of 278
Quote:

there's something wrong with marking AI threads read. Each time I return on the forum some definitely read topics are marked unread again

The threads are read until a post arrives, then it is not longer completely read. If you get email updates it will take you the first new post in the thread when you click the link.
post #265 of 278
Quote:

The threads are read until a post arrives, then it is not longer completely read. If you get email updates it will take you the first new post in the thread when you click the link.

Each time I restart S4B, it marks unread all threads having been updated since 1 week. So, Firefox should be considered as being more accurate in displaying AI forum in particular.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #266 of 278
Quote:

Each time I restart S4B, it marks unread all threads having been updated since 1 week. So, Firefox should be considered as being more accurate in displaying AI forum in particular.

I am under the impression that the thread updating is server-side, not some local cookies, so I don't understand how Safari isn't updating but Firefox is, unless each browser has AI logged in with different accounts.
post #267 of 278
Quote:

I am under the impression that the thread updating is server-side, not some local cookies, so I don't understand how Safari isn't updating but Firefox is, unless each browser has AI logged in with different accounts.

Ah. It may be a very good point, thanks. Then AI site should simply and plainly have been optimized for FireFox browser. S4 is promised to be capable of simulating USER_AGENT value. We'll see what would happen if this option is turned on...

UPD: You are absolutely right. S4 disguised as FireFox 3.0.5 displays read status correctly.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #268 of 278
CosmoPod 2.9 was tried with Safari 4B yesterday. (Sorry for repeating it unintentionally, in the case that has already been reported somewhere on AI).
First impression was quite positive. Download worked well. Didn't quite get it though, why was it so crucial to store flv files with mp4 extensions and then to convert them in MP4 files by means of the plugin itself. Couldn't wait for conversion to complete.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #269 of 278
mac os. rendering javascript animation

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #270 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Refresh has moved to the right edge of the address line. Escape use to work to stop a page, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I don't like not being able to move the + button to bookmark a page. Nit picking for sure, but that is where my Home button goes.

The refresh arrow changes to a spinner when refreshing or loading a page; click this spinner to stop the page loading.
post #271 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I think it'd be neat if you really could search for UI elements. For example, you don't quite remember what the page was called, but you do know it had a black and blue banner, so you simply search for "black and blue banner" (semantics aside) and Safari checks the predominant colours in the top 10% of the page. Or perhaps, if you want to find the AI forums, you could search for "Gray forum". Since thread layout is pretty similar for all forum software, it shouldn't be too hard.

If you can remember what the page looks like then you can presumably remember some of the content and simply type in a few search words.

For example; to find and reply to your post I just typed in 'zandros blue gray' and it found the 2 pages in my history where those words appear.
post #272 of 278
I hope they iron out the memory leaks. The previous versions of Safari sucked for a while until they fixed the memory issues.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #273 of 278
Man

Webkit nightlies and Safari 4 is the shit. I swear browsing makes me feel like i'm on a 2+ Ghz computer.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #274 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

If you can remember what the page looks like then you can presumably remember some of the content and simply type in a few search words.

For example; to find and reply to your post I just typed in 'zandros blue gray' and it found the 2 pages in my history where those words appear.

Cool, I didn't know that. Makes searching my youtube history a bit less convenient though.
post #275 of 278
it would be nice to open several preselected sites in safari tabs by one single keyboard shortcut. it doesn't seem feasible in general: bookmark folders have no shortcuts.
the substitute to some extent may be the option "New windows open with" set to desired bookmark folder.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #276 of 278
I haven't read this thread at all but I just want to chine in and say that while I was hesitant at first to download the beta I finally gave it a shot yesterday. I've got to say damn this thing is fast, I'm loving it. And the top sites feature is just showing me how many sites I visit all the damn time, and just how a few site pretty much comprise my whole internet experience. I've ran into some minor bugs that I've reported but overall I am very much enjoying myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #277 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

That works but outbound links open in a new window. Why does it do that? I'll go to a certain page and click on the "forum" link and it opens a completely new window but in other pages it doesn't, wtf?

Just enable single window mode:

On a Mac, in terminal, type:
Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

On Windows, untested, in command prompt, type:
Code:

%CommonProgramFiles%\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\bin\\defaults.exe write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

You will need to have iTunes installed to get defaults.exe in that location. Report your results on Windows .
post #278 of 278
The tab of bookmarked rss feed takes the name of containing folder as title, not that of the feed itself (both Win and Mac OS X).

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser