or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › slow starting imac

slow starting imac

post #1 of 2
A friend of mine has a fairly new imac, 24" and in the last 2 or 3 weeks it takes forever ( 4-6 minutes) to start up, shut off, wake up or put to sleep .... plus it seems, to me at least, to heat up after 30 or 40 minutes ( to the point of being hot to the touch at top of computer) but it is slow to start even when cold.

Is there a way to check fan operation (leopard os) and is there a possible software solution .... start up items, etc. He would ask himself but he has even less experience that me ... and that's not much.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #2 of 2
My Unibody MacBook had a similar problem but all i did was go to Disc Utility, Verified my Disc and repaired both my permissions and my disc.

I would also go to Activity Monitor under Utilities folder in the Applications folder. See what items he has starting up at log in and if that doesn't help, go to the Apple store.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › slow starting imac