or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CBS streaming free TV programming to iPhone users

CBS streaming free TV programming to iPhone users - Page 2

post #41 of 65
I'm not really sure what the thrust of this post is but I have to disagree with this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

... Canadians, also take note. We do not have the same rights as Americans re freedom of speech. As the Charter so explicitly states, "The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." As such, you can be held responsible for what you say and are subject to penalties as described by law, if your action is deemed harmful. ...

Canadians in general have more freedoms that citizens of the USA. We have protections against all kinds of things like discrimination on gender and sex that the USA is only just now starting to get, mostly because we are a younger country and our constitution and bill of rights were only recently ratified and in fact, changed. So we are a tiny bit ahead on the same curve.

The limitation described above on free speech is only intended in the same way as limitations on freedom of speech in the USA of which the classic example is the inability to be free to yell "fire!" in a crowded movie theatre. It has also never been tested in court one way or the other so to say that you know what the limitation entails in any detail is just wrong.

The chief difference between freedom of speech in the USA and in countries like Canada and EU member states that have recently reviewed their founding documents and bills of rights, is that unlike the USA these countries generally make a provision against "hate speech." There are indications that this kind of legislation is coming in the USA also.

So in a way you are right, we don't have the same freedom of speech at the moment, but what is illegal here (and may soon be in the USA), is merely the spreading of hateful biased crap. That idiot preacher that spreads the "god hates fags" message for instance would be hate speech. A radical Muslim cleric giving speeches about how "Americans are dogs and should all be killed" would be similarly so.

Personally, I don't have a problem with telling these guys that they don't have a right to spread that kind of bull.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

- Remove chip from shoulder and holster your drama, please. -

It is not really a stretch that a US company only supports the US. TV isn't food or aid that one needs to survive.

I don't see how adding a bold USA is showing anger or disdain. You do realize that here in CANADA we get most/all American channels, right?
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So sorry you called yourself that. A moronic act does not necessarily make one a moron. \
But how often do you watch those current TV shows you've purchased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Wonderful, I am a moron. I chose to buy the TV shows and I am happy with that decision. I do not feel like a moron though. Weird...

Who cares how often they are watched. I also choose to buy the TV shows I watch. What I think is moronic is paying $1200/year to Comcast to have access to thousands of shows I could care less about. Instead, I pay about a tenth of that to watch the shows I do want. I watch them when I want, without commercials, and if by chance I do want to re-watch any of those shows, I can do so whenever I want.

Quote:

But will Apple allow it on the Apple TV?

Probably not, but I get it anyway by having installed Boxee on my Apple TV.
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm sorry for "angrying up the blood" in some people here, but it's hard not to be offended when one is faced with offence. I will try to keep my anger inside in future, if only because every time someone brings this topic up at least one or two people always retort with even more outrageous stuff, like "this is America buddy" or "love it or leave it" or some other such bull.

morning light is great isn't it

But I am with you on the point about the FIRST W in WWW standing for WORLD.

it would take a seconds thought to state that it was US ONLY, save people like myself getting up my hopes and wondering why the hell I couldn't get search on the app store to find CBS.

its not like we haven't seen plenty of "aww I wish the BBC would make their stuff available world wide" comments online.

but then, this isn't the first time stuff like this has happened on AI, and sadly, I'm sure it won't be the last.

--

oh yeah, if no-one points this out, how will things ever change?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

post #45 of 65
Quote:

Is it?
Well I guess some people will also buy a bridge to nowhere.
It's all relative- one man's convenience is another man's waste. Too each his own.
Instead of moronic I should have used wasteful and I've changed it.

hey, with this small display of logic, there might just be hope for you yet!

I mean, its not too far from what you said, to "teckstud thinks he's funny, pity about everyone else"

post #46 of 65
Live streaming network television?

Although it would probably kill the battery, it would be more efficient than a tv tuner.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevc View Post

I watch American TV shows on our Canadian Channels ... heck I even watch CBS, ABC, FOX but they substitute Canadian commercials and they even substitute Canadian feeds for American Feeds if it's in the same time-slots. This must be freakin' nuts.

I can't wait until I cancel my Cable bill and am able to watch exactly what I want, when I want (On demand TV). I'm sure that'll open up a can of worms when this becomes common place as the Advertising revenues I would think drop as I'm gonna skip them as fast as I can ....

What I Don't get is that I can watch CBS on my Canadian TV, but can't watch it on my Canadian iPhone?

If they keep this mentality as we go into the ondemand era, it just pushes me to places like piratebay to get the shows I want. Hmmmmm... I wonder if they'll have on-demand piratebay?

Some day media won't matter I guess...

Go for it. Note though, you won't be able to get the service directly from the US as it has to come via your local cable or satellite companies.

In case you don't know it, the American TV shows that you watch in Canada are bought by your Canadian cable company. Your monthly cable bill pays in part for the privelige. They don't come across for free. Note that American Idol for example is available in Toronto, but is not aired on the Buffalo stations.

For you to get American TV on your iPhone, Rogers or Apple has to get CBS, for example, to allow it.

And if you know anything, one of the major reasons tv shows are dropping and fewer new one are coming on board is because there isn't enough advertising revenue to pay for the production. So your bright idea to skip the ads is like shooting yourself in the foot. Either the TV audience increases, you pay per episode or the show gets cancelled.

Heck, if you really want to go on the cheap, put up a TV antenna. Obviously, you won't get many stations, or internet. But your programs from the US, if you are close enough to get them, contain US ads
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Probably not, but I get it anyway by having installed Boxee on my Apple TV.

Excellent idea I will install it this weekend. Thanks.
post #49 of 65
I used the CBS app... A series of 2 or 3 minute clips is not what I was expecting. I'd expect something more akin to the Joost app, with full movies and TV shows... not liking it, so away it goes.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #50 of 65
How does this effect one's bandwidth usage on AT&T? I'm speaking specifically of cost in one's plan.
post #51 of 65
Quote:

The original comment I made has been edited back, as it seems a little overly strident to me in the morning light. I apologise for ramping things up to that level when it was not necessary.

However, the point that I was trying to make remains and as hard as I will try in the future not to get all bent out of shape about it it probably won't go away.

One has to not be a citizen of the USA to really see how impossibly smug and self-centred you guys come across some times. This is an internet site available to anyone around the world (that's the whole concept of the internet dontcha know), and it deals with one thing and one thing only. Apple.

Apple is itself a global corporation that produces a multi-lingual operating system that is sold in hundreds of countries around the world. Apple users, and Apple advocates come in all sizes, genders, and nationalities. In fact quite large sections of the readers of forums such as AppleInsider come from the UK, Canada etc., so this is hardly just a technical matter that both the readership and the advocates of places like this are multi-national.

The fact that the writers here (and in most other forums of this type, not trying to single you guys out), don't bother, and don't apparently even have it occur to them that they are talking to a world-wide audience and not just California, New York and Texas *does* offend people and not just me. It is rude, and it's just not necessary if anyone took just a few seconds to think about the framing of a single sentence of title. That's my whole point.

I'm sorry for "angrying up the blood" in some people here, but it's hard not to be offended when one is faced with offence. I will try to keep my anger inside in future, if only because every time someone brings this topic up at least one or two people always retort with even more outrageous stuff, like "this is America buddy" or "love it or leave it" or some other such bull.

post #52 of 65
Great idea... horribly executed.

Not only is the process of pulling up episodes cumbersome, the video is perhaps the worst quality I've ever seen anywhere in my entire life.

No really, it is worse than a telesync or cam rip from a theater. Hell, the aspect ratio isn't even correct.

Other than that, not so bad.
post #53 of 65
Hey, this point did get snarky quickly. On behalf of left-wing, self righteous Ausländerin, I apologise.

Nonetheless, I think that AppleInsider would serve its many non-American users well by pointing out the geographical restriction of this app, in the headline, or at least in the article body.

Otherwise, we click through, wait for Apple's WebObjects server to forward the address, fire up iTunes, and are told no cookie for us. Oh the humanity!!!!!

post #54 of 65
I agree that it would be nice.

But I don't consider the omission to be rude or illogical. Media outlets tailor their stories to their primary customer base. In this instance it probably wasn't economical or even worthwhile to do research for foreign audiences.

Aggravating for sure when you're a in a different country than the media outlet. But it doesn't point to anything more sinister than a sub-conscious cost/benefit analysis by the author. In my opinion, they got it right. I wouldn't have gone any further into this story if I was the author. Heck, that's what these follow up comments are for.
post #55 of 65
Ugh! Small clips from TV shows? Not full-length shows? Worthless to me. Removed from my iPhone immediately.
post #56 of 65
Guys, for someone who lives in Europe, the problem is than ALLof these sites Hulu, CBS, NBC, ABC etc. only offers their content to people within USA!.

There is an IP check to verify that the connection to thses sites is indeed made from inside the US.

For us there are not many choices for watching American TV shows. Actually we have to crawl sites like Free TV , Project Free TV etc. for the crumbs.

Until this policy changes: No more Soup for you
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That site looks just like Hulu Guess I'll feel right at home. I watch Galactica and Dollhouse on Hulu regularly.

Between TV.com, Hulu and ABC.com I can pretty much watch any US network show. I'm glad to see some of them come to my phone.

(I emailed Hulu requesting an iPhone version and got a "maybe" answer--which is the best you can hope for. Flash may or may not ever come to mobile Safari, but as a standalone app, Adobe and Hulu could deliver something specialized. NOTE: TV.com uses Flash video just like Hulu does. And it's on iPhone now.)

Really want to see FLASH on the iphone, unlike Hulu, TV.Com has mostly a few minute trailers, not much FULL CONTENT, just like a few other streaming websites. Hulu by far is the best, they have everything from CSI to the Three Stooges, everything else, (TV.COM) is commercials and trailers.

I did do a google on "why there is no flash on iPhone" and most articles point out Apple DOES have a fear that if they allow it then people will write flash applications, is it also a battery issue? Perhaps, but I think this should be left up to the user as the content on websites like Hulu are leaps and bounds above places like TV.COM which offer a very limited selection of content.
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I used the CBS app... A series of 2 or 3 minute clips is not what I was expecting. I'd expect something more akin to the Joost app, with full movies and TV shows... not liking it, so away it goes.

Again, Joost, is similar to TV.COM, a few shows with many 2-3 minute commercials. Hulu is the only site so far that has all the best content. Hope to see Flash on the phone.
post #59 of 65
Quote:

I'm not really sure what the thrust of this post is but I have to disagree with this part.
Canadians in general have more freedoms that citizens of the USA. We have protections against all kinds of things like discrimination on gender and sex that the USA is only just now starting to get, mostly because we are a younger country and our constitution and bill of rights were only recently ratified and in fact, changed. So we are a tiny bit ahead on the same curve.

The limitation described above on free speech is only intended in the same way as limitations on freedom of speech in the USA of which the classic example is the inability to be free to yell "fire!" in a crowded movie theatre. It has also never been tested in court one way or the other so to say that you know what the limitation entails in any detail is just wrong.

The chief difference between freedom of speech in the USA and in countries like Canada and EU member states that have recently reviewed their founding documents and bills of rights, is that unlike the USA these countries generally make a provision against "hate speech." There are indications that this kind of legislation is coming in the USA also.

So in a way you are right, we don't have the same freedom of speech at the moment, but what is illegal here (and may soon be in the USA), is merely the spreading of hateful biased crap. That idiot preacher that spreads the "god hates fags" message for instance would be hate speech. A radical Muslim cleric giving speeches about how "Americans are dogs and should all be killed" would be similarly so.

Personally, I don't have a problem with telling these guys that they don't have a right to spread that kind of bull.

Virgil -TB

For clarification, we, Canadians, do not have a Bill of Rights, as does the US.

My point originally was to make note that the contention by some that we have the unilateral right to hear or see anything that is broadcasted from anywhere in the world, is not covered by any act or Bill of Rights in Canada. And that our Fundamental Freedoms, e.g., freedom of expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication is predicated with as responsibility, i.e, as tabled in our Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms.

As such, In the United States, the Right of Free Speech values take precedence over limiting the harm caused by verbal insult, while in Canada, harm caused by verbal insult, would take precedence over our "Fundamental Freedom of expression."

But that being said, the regulations as set by the national governing bodies that cover broadcast communication can in fact prevent anything coming across their respective borders, regardless of the rights to its citizens re free speech.
post #60 of 65
This has nothing to do with Flash. Even if the iPhone did have Flash it would likely not be able to play the current video from Hulu or the others. The iPhone is only capable of playing video of a certain resolution and data rate. The video on Hulu is likely too big.

These video download sites will have to create video that can be played on the iPhone either way. Flash is simply a media wrapper, you don't need Flash to play video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Really want to see FLASH on the iphone, unlike Hulu, TV.Com has mostly a few minute trailers, not much FULL CONTENT, just like a few other streaming websites. Hulu by far is the best, they have everything from CSI to the Three Stooges, everything else, (TV.COM) is commercials and trailers.
post #61 of 65
Joost and TV.com both have entire shows. Hulu has no content from CBS (CSI, Two and a Half Men) or ABC (Lost, Desperate Housewives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Again, Joost, is similar to TV.COM, a few shows with many 2-3 minute commercials. Hulu is the only site so far that has all the best content. Hope to see Flash on the phone.
post #62 of 65
What's with the stupid stretch mode display with this app? Looks terrible.

(Unless I missed something in the settings).
post #63 of 65
Quote:

Virgil

It is indeed hard not to be offended when one is faced with offence. But sometimes it helps to remember that not everyone is perfect. Sometimes people make an innocent mistake or oversight, which can appear to others to be offensive. This is particularly easy in multi cultural communities such as AI. By taking offence you can set off a chain reaction that ultimately leads to genuinely offensive comments.

For the avoidance of doubt: if anyone takes offence at this comment rest assured that none was meant!
post #64 of 65
I dont think it is alltogether impossible to get TV other than iTunes or the CBS site. I am outside the US and unable to get Hulu. I started using http://3click.tv and in December they added iPhone service. The only problem is in my area and most areas you cant use it with 3G but it plays really well (no buffering and high rez) on a good solid wifi connection.
Anyway I know its possible to stream mp4 to iphone, they do it on about 30,000 episodes.
post #65 of 65
has been using this since some months already ("France 24" application, for instance)...
It's not news

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CBS streaming free TV programming to iPhone users