or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › No iPods, iPhones allowed in Gates household

No iPods, iPhones allowed in Gates household

post #1 of 71
The three children of Bill and Melinda Gates may not be allowed to have a product from a certain Cupertino-based rival in their home, but that doesn't mean Mrs. Gates doesn't wish for an Apple gadget every once in a while.

Melinda Gates told Vogue in a recent interview that the couple's three children try to have "as regular a childhood as possible,", but that doesn't include Apple's ubiquitous iPod digital music and video player or its cellular companion, the iPhone.

"There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household," she said. "But iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids."

Gates' husband Bill, of course, founded Microsoft, which sells its own line of digital media players under the Zune brand name. So when it comes to the market-leading iPod, it's look-but-don't-touch for the Gates family, including the three children (aged 12, 9, and 6), and even Melinda herself.

"Every now and then I look at my friends and say, 'Ooh, I wouldn't mind having that iPhone,'" she said.

Melinda Gates, who was hired by Microsoft at the age of 22 and worked on products like Encarta, Expedia, and Microsoft Bob, went on to marry the founder of the company. Vogue describes her as possibly the "most ambitious woman on Earth."

Together, Bill and Melinda Gates run their eponymous charity organization that enjoys assets of around $35 billion.

The two say they still plan to give all of their fortune away. The interview didn't mention whether the three Gates children, aged 12, 9, and 6, use Zunes, but it does detail some of the charitable causes, from the American high school system to global public health, to which the couple has devoted itself.
post #2 of 71
ROTFLMAO!!!! SO FUNNY! Poor kids are hiding iPods like weed under the bed. Gates, don't punish your family just because your company can't even copy an Apple product correctly. It's not their fault Zune's and Winblows Mobile are total crap. Someone call child services...
post #3 of 71
Could it be considered child abuse if the kids are forced into using a Zune?!?
post #4 of 71
What? Have technology that actually works? With no excessive licensing or support? That's a dangerous precedent!

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #5 of 71
I don't see anything wrong with not letting them use a competitors product. I know that people who work for Budweiser aren't allowed to drink other beer (or so I'm told) and the same goes for people who work at Coca-Cola.
post #6 of 71
Thats too bad to see how bigheaded the Gates family is. I'd use whatever I wanted thank you very much! If Microsoft made a device that was actually worth something this wouldn't be an issue. Instead they tried to copy the iPod and seriously failed.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

I don't see anything wrong with not letting them use a competitors product. I know that people who work for Budweiser aren't allowed to drink other beer (or so I'm told) and the same goes for people who work at Coca-Cola.

Yeah that's probably true, difference is that these kids don't work for Microsoft...
post #8 of 71
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with that?
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Thats too bad to see how bigheaded the Gates family is. I'd use whatever I wanted thank you very much! If Microsoft made a device that was actually worth something this wouldn't be an issue. Instead they tried to copy the iPod and seriously failed.

Exactly...maybe they should pick up an Apple products once in a while and see the difference. Apple certainly does not have any policy against using competitor products...if employees do use them it just means that the Apple products aren't good enough and need to be made better. Apple has its ear to the ground and thats why they kick ass.
post #10 of 71
I guess I should pick up a Vogue to see what the story really was...

I'm sure there are unsaid things going on that we don't know about. All in how things are phrased.

I'm not defending the Gates, as I think people should use what they want and buy what they want. But I would really like to know the true reason for no Apple products, instead of what is assumed from an article.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #11 of 71
In other news: I've just made myself a cup of tea.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

What kind of tea? Not a competitor's tea i hope!
post #13 of 71
I had dinner with 3 people from MS last night; 2 of them had iPhones and the third was waiting for the next hardware revision to get one. None of them were from the MacBU either... in fact, a couple of them were working on Windows 7
post #14 of 71
Quote:

This is poor reasoning and not true anyway. It's illegal to make consumption of the companies products a condition of employment.

What they can say is that you aren't allowed to consume a competitors product at work but even that is questionable and would probably be overturned in court if anyone bothered to fight it. In the case of Budweiser, it's pretty obvious that you can't drink alcohol at work in any case so that one's completely wrong.

Even if this kind of thing were true, it's petty nonsense as others have already pointed out and will have the opposite to the intended effect. Bill Gate's daughters will undoubtedly still lust after an iPhone (all the more for being denied) and if they are ultimately photographed using one the PR damage will far exceed that of him just letting them have one now. He's being a bad parent here.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Exactly...maybe they should pick up an Apple products once in a while and see the difference. Apple certainly does not have any policy against using competitor products...if employees do use them it just means that the Apple products aren't good enough and need to be made better. Apple has its ear to the ground and thats why they kick ass.

When Steve Jobs first returned to Apple, he used an IBM Thinkpad running NeXT Step.
post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I guess I should pick up a Vogue to see what the story really was...

I'm sure there are unsaid things going on that we don't know about. All in how things are phrased.

I'm not defending the Gates, as I think people should use what they want and buy what they want. But I would really like to know the true reason for no Apple products, instead of what is assumed from an article.

The real reason is because Bill Gates knows the iPod and iPhone are gateway drugs.
If he gets his kids an iPod next they'll want a Mac.
post #17 of 71
No iPods or iPhones ... pretty bad.
Well, maybe you can get a decent MP3 player ... (I've got an iPod mini)
...and maybe you can get a Blackberry ... they are nice and have their advantages .... (I've got an iPhone)

Worst of all .... they have to use Windows !!!

The horror .... the horror.
post #18 of 71
On the other hand, the rumor is that Steve Jobs forces his kids to use a Zune then they misbehave, which has cut down on disciplinary problems considerabley in the Jobs household.
post #19 of 71
No wonder Bill's kids hate him.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

There's nothing wrong with that?

Right or wrong, I've know people that have worked for Anheiser Bush and for Coca-Cola, and yes, you can get fired for using competing products!

There was a famous case in the Atlanta (home of Coca-Cola) paper, where a minor exec at Coke was drinking a Pepsi at work. I think she was asked to get rid of it, she thought it was a joke and refused, and eventually was fired.

There are companies out there that are fanatical. These two, Microsoft, and Frito-Lay are all examples, for sure.
post #21 of 71
Bill Gates gets a lot of criticism but, you know what, I kind of miss him. He deserves a lot of credit for giving his money away and he did an infinitely better job of running Microsoft than Ballmer currently does.

Am I crazy for missing him?
post #22 of 71
Would somebody please think of the children?
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No wonder Bill's kids hate him.

No wonder EVERYBODY hates him .... the awful stuff he has let loose in this world ...
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Together, Bill and Melinda Gates run their eponymous charity organization that enjoys assets of around $35 billion. The two say they still plan to give all of their fortune away.

Funny that no one commented on this so far. The same can not be said of SJ - donating all his fortune...

In all the MS bashing one should not forget that at the end of the day BG is committed on donating most if not all his fortune to those who need it. He is one of the largest AIDS research and Malaria vaccination donors in the world, literally saving hundreds of thousands of kids from death.

Maybe his products are not as hip as Apple's (for sure they're not) but his intentions are laudable. Maybe SJ should try topping him ;-)
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Right or wrong, I've know people that have worked for Anheiser Bush and for Coca-Cola, and yes, you can get fired for using competing products!

There was a famous case in the Atlanta (home of Coca-Cola) paper, where a minor exec at Coke was drinking a Pepsi at work. I think she was asked to get rid of it, she thought it was a joke and refused, and eventually was fired.

There are companies out there that are fanatical. These two, Microsoft, and Frito-Lay are all examples, for sure.

That was at work-which I believe is the point.

You would have a helluva lawsuit on your hands if you got fired for drinking Sam Adams at home when you worked for bud.
post #26 of 71
Quote:

After reading this and the last thread- I could have sworn AI has hired W.
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Melinda Gates, who was hired by Microsoft at the age of 22 and worked on products like Encarta, Expedia, and Microsoft Bob, went on to marry the founder of the company. Vogue describes her as possibly the "most ambitious woman on Earth."

More than Madonna? More than Clinton? More than Octomom?
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Would somebody please think of the children?

Leave no child behind! What is he thinking?
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Funny that no one commented on this so far. The same can not be said of SJ - donating all his fortune...

In all the MS bashing one should not forget that at the end of the day BG is committed on donating most if not all his fortune to those who need it. He is one of the largest AIDS research and Malaria vaccination donors in the world, literally saving hundreds of thousands of kids from death.

Maybe his products are not as hip as Apple's (for sure they're not) but his intentions are laudable. Maybe SJ should try topping him ;-)

Who cares??

All I care about is the product. I couldn't give a sweet shit what the chairman/CEO does in terms of charity unless it somehow reflects on the company's bottom line, and then I only care if I'm an investor.

Besides, Gates' philanthropy has nothing to do with MS as a business. Nor does it have anything to do with the fact that Apple currently has more cash on hand than MS, for example.

And as for Gates not allowing any Apple tech in the house . . . it's probably because they would serve as constant reminders of what the MS licensing hog has done to innovation and R&D over the years. It has something to do with swirling down the toilet.

Than again, BG doesn't quite have it together these days, so his decision might just be an irrational, nonsensical act, much like releasing a swarm of mosquitos into an audience.
post #30 of 71
That's nothing. At Ballmer's house, you can't eat apples or play Apples to Apples. Or use the word "google", even when referring to eyes. Or use Sony products. Or use deodorant (this one has nothing to do with competition, but is simply one of Steve's rules).
post #31 of 71
Quote:

It is true that Jobs does not hold regular press conferences to trumpet his donations, but it might be wrong to draw conclusions from that.

The fact that Gates gives away billions of dollars just indicates he is not utterly stingy. He's still a multi-billionaire after all. Generosity is a lot more than just giving away something you do not need. As others have also mentioned, a significant proportion of his "gifts" have been Microsoft
products. Is that charity or business promotion?

His intentions may be partially laudable and partially a futile attempt to buy his way into heaven.
post #32 of 71
Ballmer is the same. It's mainly the higher up employees who will do that because it's symbolic. You know how the press goes nuts when they see Ballmer at a talk and there's a Mac laptop there.

If they are seen using Apple products, it suggests that they prefer those products to their own. That would be ridiculously bad for business. Although their families don't work for the company, they are still very strong representatives.

Employees who aren't public-facing ones, it doesn't really matter. It's the same reason why unsuccessful businessmen will try to drive around in good cars and wear nice clothes. It's to give the illusion of success.

Consumers are mostly like sheep and have what someone else is having. If a product is undesirable, it is automatically pushed down the must buy list. This is why Apple's hype factor is very important. It's not just the quality of the product but the desirability and that comes from association more than anything. I know people to whom this doesn't matter one bit and have bought other touch screen phones due to them having MMS.
post #33 of 71
With apologies for introducing a serious element into this Happy Hour thread...
I'm afraid the B&MG Foundation is not the act of selfless altruism as the (very successful) spin suggests, but is a tax avoidance mechanism designed for the extremely wealthy. The article states the Foundation has $35 bn (up from $32.5 bn last year), and as long as it spends at least $1.5 bn p.a. it pays no tax on the earnings of the rest. So one of the world's wealthiest men is effectively being 'taxed' on his investment earnings at a rate of just c.4.5%, with the added perk of deciding where and how he spends it. When this faux largesse is used to subsidise cheap laptops running Windows into developing countries, thus undercutting Linux alternatives, the self-interest could hardly be more blatant.
Buddha
Buddha
post #34 of 71
She'd have to be the most ambitious woman on earth to hook up with Gates. It certainly wasn't for his fabulous good looks and sparkling personality.
post #35 of 71
Quote:

With apologies for introducing a serious element into this Happy Hour thread...
I'm afraid the B&MG Foundation is not the act of selfless altruism as the (very successful) spin suggests, but is a tax avoidance mechanism designed for the extremely wealthy. The article states the Foundation has $35 bn (up from $32.5 bn last year), and as long as it spends at least $1.5 bn p.a. it pays no tax on the earnings of the rest. So one of the world's wealthiest men is effectively being 'taxed' on his investment earnings at a rate of just c.4.5%, with the added perk of deciding where and how he spends it. When this faux largesse is used to subsidise cheap laptops running Windows into developing countries, thus undercutting Linux alternatives, the self-interest could hardly be more blatant.

Also, I remember a year or two ago, an investiagtion where certain groups were getting money only if they used a certain pharmacy companies products, and that turned out that billy boy owns tons of stock in the pharmacy company he was trying to force people to use, and in using that company, increasing the pharmacy companys profits, and his stock value. he is a crook, always has been. remember, he was well off as a child, and his parents gave him the $ to buy dos and sell to ibm. once a spoiled little brat, always a spoiled brat..
post #36 of 71
Quote:

How do you know he doesn't donate his fortune, when did it become a law or requirement to donate your fortune, I don't donate most of the money I make, does that make me a bad person, I think you should donate the money you make after all there are people in 3rd world country who could probably use some of your money.
post #37 of 71
johnny mozarella

you missed the real pun, which was GATE(s)way drugs

can you imagine what that would do to the stock when the go to Uni and are caught on camera using a Macbook
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post

Also, I remember a year or two ago, an investiagtion where certain groups were getting money only if they used a certain pharmacy companies products, and that turned out that billy boy owns tons of stock in the pharmacy company he was trying to force people to use, and in using that company, increasing the pharmacy companys profits, and his stock value. he is a crook, always has been. remember, he was well off as a child, and his parents gave him the $ to buy dos and sell to ibm. once a spoiled little brat, always a spoiled brat..

well, yeah...there's a wee bit of scandal hovering around the B&MGF...

but, would you rather it disappear? Sure, Bill's pockets are growing fatter through charity (purportedly) - but, the people on the receiving end of that charity also benefit. Causing more harm than good? Not likely. In fact, at least one extremely helpful organization in my city would fail if it weren't for the B&MGF.

uhm, and as far as Bill's kids go..sure, yeah right, they use the Zune?
http://hideapod.com/
post #39 of 71
Quote:

Interesting.

Steve Jobs Net Worth: US $5.4 Billion (2008 Forbes)

Bill Gates Net Worth: US$58 Billion (2008) and it was larger back in 1999 when he started the Gates foundation with 4.8 billion. I think he was over 100 billion then. And I know a good bit of the Gates foundation was augmented in 2006 by a huge donation from Warren Buffet.

I wonder as a percentage of their net worth, which one (Bill or Steve) has given more to charity. I guess it is possible that BG has been publicizing his giving and SJ has kept his under the radar. It would certainly match up with SJ desire for privacy. But certainly in terms of sheer amount, BG is to be lauded for the amount of money he has funneled into charitable foundations.

Certainly this article thinks there is no comparison (http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com.../2006/01/70072)
but I do wonder where the truth is.
post #40 of 71
Why the hatred of Apple, Bill? You wouldn't have any money if you didn't have something decent to copy. You get it wrong every time, but you made it to IBM first.. and we all have to deal with the aftermath to this day.

Give away your money faster.. I'm tired of hearing about you and your failing company.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › No iPods, iPhones allowed in Gates household