or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday

New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday

post #1 of 138
Last-minute leaks of part numbers hint Apple is about to release both upgraded iMacs and Mac minis on Tuesday -- along with an emphasis on larger screens for iMacs and a likely NVIDIA-based design.

French site MacBidouille on Monday detailed new model numbers that appear to confirm AppleInsider's discovery of six new Apple products in resellers' pipelines.

Of these, four models ranging from MB417 through MB420 are described as new iMacs, but with a different system balance than today's lineup: only the first model would have a 20-inch screen, while the remaining four would have 24-inch displays.

In turn, two Mac mini models, the MB463 and MB464, would represent updated low- and high-end versions of Apple's compact desktops.

All four would be available tomorrow and ship almost immediately, according to the claim.

Additionally, Dutch site OneMoreThing -- which just earlier today provided a claimed Mac mini box shot -- now also claims to have rough details of the systems' specifications.

The iMacs would come with 2.66GHz, 2.93GHz and 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo processors, with 2GB of DDR3 memory for the base model and 4GB for the rest; they would also support up to 8GB of RAM and carry a Mini DisplayPort connector. Mac minis would have the five USB ports, FireWire 800 and Mini DisplayPort as in photos and videos from last month and would start with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and carry either 1GB or 2GB of memory depending on the model. Hard drives would also start at a minimum 120GB but top out at 320GB.

While such late-breaking claims must always be treated with caution, the details support Apple's own unintentional leaks, which showed NVIDIA-based iMacs and Mac minis that were meant for 2008 but were ultimately pushed into early 2009.

A list of specifications based on model numbers is available below:

iMac

MB417: "Entry-level" 20-inch with 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM
MB418: "Mid-range" 24-inch with 2.66GHz or 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM
MB419: "High-end" 24-inch with 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM
MB420: "Very high-end" 24-inch with 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM

Mac mini
MB463: 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM, 120GB hard drive
MB464: Unknown Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM
post #2 of 138
Can't wait! This sound as a cool update.
post #3 of 138
AI is getting completely tooled when it comes to reporting breaking news....
post #4 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

AI is getting completely tooled when it comes to reporting breaking news....

How so?
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #5 of 138
Wow, a tiny 1GB of RAM and 120GB HD on the low end Mac Mini... better be $399, that's all I can say! I got a netbook with that for £200 4 months ago, and that has a keyboard and screen built in... we're just talking a better CPU and chipset.
post #6 of 138
Given that decent 24" LCD monitors (like the Dell S2409W) are selling for $250, moving more of the iMac models to 24" display size makes sense. The more interesting news would be the pricing. I expect the entry-level 20" iMac to be priced at $999 and the high-end model to be priced at $1999. It is more difficult to guess the pricing for the mid-range models, but if Apple can keep the MB418 pricing in $1299 range, we may have a winner.

Apple also has to do something drastic about Mac Mini pricing. $499 and $599 would be more appropriate price points for the minis based on today's component prices and the economic environment.

Oh, one last thing, how about iWork as part of the standard software bundle in addition to iLife? Apple can always make money later through upgrades...
post #7 of 138
So what happen to all of the dual hard drive rumors we heard about before?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #8 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Wow, a tiny 1GB of RAM and 120GB HD on the low end Mac Mini... better be $399, that's all I can say! I got a netbook with that for £200 4 months ago, and that has a keyboard and screen built in... we're just talking a better CPU and chipset.

And better software?
post #9 of 138
Just how is this an update?

Current iMacs come with almost the exact same cpu frequencies.

I hope AI have it wrong. This would be a super lame update.

I guess the mini looks much better.
post #10 of 138
Hmm... those iMac updates seem too incremental to me. Over a year later, Apple still can't fit more than a 3.06 GHz processor in there? I know the RAM and NVIDIA improvements are nothing to shake a stick at, but I can't see Apple bumping up all of that while leaving the main processor stuck where it is now. Has anything like that happened before?

I know the public isn't as wedded to GHz numbers as they used to be, but it's still the topline number: You still want it going up, even if only gradually.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #11 of 138
No quad-core Penryn iMac??? WTF? They've been out for 2 years now, and the newer models are EASILY within the power and heat budget of an iMac.
This will be hilarious... The Mac Pro will have 2x Quad-core "Nehalem" Xeons which already blow away the existing quad-core "Penryn" Xeons and the iMac will be stuck with a freaking Core 2 Duo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Hmm... those iMac updates seem too incremental to me. Over a year later, Apple still can't fit more than a 3.06 GHz processor in there?
....I know the public isn't as wedded to GHz numbers as they used to be, but it's still the topline number: You still want it going up, even if only gradually.

Thats the highest clocked C2D laptop chip.. Obviously why they should have at least the top end models using a 45-65W Core 2 Quad.
post #12 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Just how is this an update?

Current iMacs come with almost the exact same cpu frequencies.

I hope AI have it wrong. This would be a super lame update.

I guess the mini looks much better.

Anything not using graphics that were underperforming even when they were released in 2007 is an awesome update in my book.
post #13 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I agree. 120 gb is pathetically lacking and a possible deal breaker for me, especially paired with 1gb of ram, which doesn't cut it. I guess $399 would be ok, but what's the point? Regarding the design, I really thought that photo/video leak was a mock-up. It's a nice looking machine no doubt, but I guess I was expecting something different after all this time.
post #14 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Anything not using graphics that were underperforming even when they were released in 2007 is an awesome update in my book.

Your expectations are too low then.

Apple can do better.
post #15 of 138
Remember these are still just rumours... How does this all fit in with Snow Leopard? Better GPUs for OpenCL - check. Quad (+) core CPUs for Grand Central - er...
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #16 of 138
Do the Minis still have integrated graphics, or do they have a separate graphics card ala the G4 Minis?
post #17 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Your expectations are too low then.

Apple can do better.

Mini-DP, DDR3, support for 8GB memory and a faster system bus works for me too.

As well as an effective price drop. (I hope, the exchange rates may kill me.)

They better not drop any firewire ports though…
post #18 of 138
Based on the specs for the high end iMac, the only differences that you state are as follows:

1. faster RAM and up to 8 instead of 4GB.
2. mini display port
3. Updated graphics.

I think they'll probably make the screens the LED displays, so they can be more green.

Are you sure they aren't going to put faster processors? I think they would update the processor and maybe some other updates as well.

in addition, didn't the Blu Ray licensing get easier? Don't you think they might offer a Blu Ray drive option if that is the case?
post #19 of 138
Hi All,

Just letting you know that I have the Apple Part Numbers for the new iMac's and Mac Mini's being released tomorrow or in the next few days.

If you don't recognize me, I was the one who posted this: Evidence Found - iLife, iWork, MacMini & Snow Leopard Tomorrow!

Here are all the part numbers. I only have the specifications for the entry level iMac. I will post more details as they become more available.

iMac's
MB417LL/A - iMac 20" 2.66/2GB/320GB/SD/MSE/KB-USA
MB418LL/A - K51,BETTER-USA
MB419LL/A - K51, BEST-USA
MB420LL/A - K51, ULTIMATE - USA

I am not sure what that MSE means? This will be interesting. Possibly new Mighty Mouse?

Mac Mini's
MB463LL/A - K88 BETTER-USA
MB464LL/A - K88 BEST- USA

The wait begins.

Enjoy =)
post #20 of 138
Hi guys, I just bought the lower end of the current mac mini today - I also tried to buy a imac however the retailer said they are all back-ordered for two weeks.

I wonder if the new mini will be better priced?
post #21 of 138
if that is the case for the new iMac then there better be a sizable price drop, as this doesnt look like much of an improvement so far... *any improvement*
post #22 of 138
I will be very disappointed if there isn't a quad core model!!!
post #23 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X. View Post

iMac's
MB417LL/A - iMac 20" 2.66/2GB/320GB/SD/MSE/KB-USA

I am not sure what that MSE means? This will be interesting. Possibly new Mighty Mouse?

How about just MOUSE, as in the same Mighty Mouse as before?
post #24 of 138
I just ordered a refurbed Mac Mini too on Saturday. I'm going to be pretty pissed if the new Mini is 399$-499$(499$ being what I just paid)

Looks like its not shipping till tomorrow, wonder if I should cancel it before it ships, or if I could just return the unopened Fed-Ex box to the Apple store
post #25 of 138
cancel it now. ive been waiting for 2 months for an iMac, knowing that it will be worth the wait...
post #26 of 138
Already an update:

Found more codes.

MB976 - STANDALONE KIT - 1x1GB (K88) - GEN <---Referring to Mac Mini
MB980 - STANDALONE KIT - 1x1GB ECC-GEN
MB981 - STANDALONE KIT - 1x2GB ECC-GEN
MB982 - STANDALONE KIT - 1x2GB ECC-GEN
MB983 - STANDALONE KIT - 640GB
MB984 - STANDALONE KIT - 1TB
MB988 - STANDALONE KIT - M35E WIRELESS <---Could this be the Mouse?
MB999 - STANDALONE KIT - RV770
post #27 of 138
Same source as the fake new mini pictures? Hahaha

Let's say it's true..if Apple thinks they're going to sell Core 2 Duo's for 8 months as their primary desktop computer for $1600+ in this economy when PC manufacturers are offering quad cores and i7's for less, they're really out of their mind. The mini update is just as ridiculous. 1GB of RAM, same as their 2 year old mini? WTF? This all sounds fake, and let's hope it is.
post #28 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Mini-DP, DDR3, support for 8GB memory and a faster system bus works for me too.

As well as an effective price drop. (I hope, the exchange rates may kill me.)

They better not drop any firewire ports though

I hate to be a pessimist but mini DP means an Apple monitor or an adaptor. Not the end of the world but not a tremendous advantage either.

From what I've read at Anand, DDR3 is no better than DDR2. In fact they are excited about the Nehalem chips to come which will be on systems that use DDR2 for precisely this reason.

Honestly i don't think AI have got this right. There really isn't much if any change to entice buyers at least those looking at an iMac.
post #29 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea818 View Post

I just ordered a refurbed Mac Mini too on Saturday. I'm going to be pretty pissed if the new Mini is 399$-499$(499$ being what I just paid)

Looks like its not shipping till tomorrow, wonder if I should cancel it before it ships, or if I could just return the unopened Fed-Ex box to the Apple store

Cancel it and wait. I highly doubt these specs are real though. They've waited this long to release this out of date crap?
post #30 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post

Same source as the fake new mini pictures? Hahaha

Let's say it's true..if Apple thinks they're going to sell Core 2 Duo's for 8 months as their primary desktop computer for $1600+ in this economy when PC manufacturers are offering quad cores and i7's for less, they're really out of their mind. The mini update is just as ridiculous. 1GB of RAM, same as their 2 year old mini? WTF? This all sounds fake, and let's hope it is.

Lets hope this announcement is wrong, fake or incorrect. I was expecting much more in a new iMAC announcement. Price points are way to high.
post #31 of 138
Even More Codes:

Sorry guys. Looks like another Machine too! iMac, Mac Mini and What Else?

MB763LL/A - K10 - USA
MB764LL/A - K30 - GOOD-USA
MB765LL/A - K30 - BETTER-USA
post #32 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

How so?

This is the 2nd thing they've repeated from this mysterious Dutch site. The other being the supposed new Mac mini.
post #33 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post

Lets hope this announcement is wrong, fake or incorrect. I was expecting much more in a new iMAC announcement. Price points are way to high.

I was going to buy an iMac, or mid-range tower (if they surprisingly offered one finally), but if they aren't offering quad cores of any kind or a major price drop to compensate for that, I'm not giving them a penny. It only rewards them for releasing outdated hardware. Of course they're happy making larger and larger profits if people keep eating up their products. The only way they'd listen is if their sales dramatically dropped. That's assuming this story is true, but again, I doubt it.
post #34 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Do the Minis still have integrated graphics, or do they have a separate graphics card ala the G4 Minis?

The current one do still have integrated GMA950...
If you meant the "new" yet-to-be-released ones, nobody knows yet. The best guess is for NVIDIA integrated 9400M graphics... like in the Macbooks.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #35 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post

I was going to buy an iMac, or mid-range tower (if they surprisingly offered one finally), but if they aren't offering quad cores of any kind or a major price drop to compensate for that, I'm not giving them a penny. It only rewards them for releasing outdated hardware. Of course they're happy making larger and larger profits if people keep eating up their products. The only way they'd listen is if their sales dramatically dropped. That's assuming this story is true, but again, I doubt it.

this is exactly what i have been saying for the past few months. i want to buy a new iMac, however they NEED to do something for me. i need an all-in-one, it does not need to be too powerful, however it does need to be able to do some pretty intensive things. but for $2000 it should be able to do those things...

there are already all in ones on the market that have quad cores, blu-ray drives, and support more than 4GB of ram, and they cost (maxed out) about the same as an iMac. there is a problem here.

Apple is VERY good at creating cases that can remove heat from components, so they, if anyone, should be able to put the most powerful computers in teh smallest cases together, yet they are letting themselves be outdone. which does not make my sympathetic, it makes me look more at the Dell one/gateway one/hp touch smart.

i WANT an apple iMac, but if these rumors are true, i'll be getting a Dell all-in-one.
post #36 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post

What price points? None have been reported, have they?

Given the weak upgrade specs relative to such a long wait, my hope is that Apple has decided to simply lower prices across the board to address the economic climate. Mac mini at 499/699; iMac at 1099 for 20", 1399 for 24"/2.66; 1699 for 24"/2.93; and 1999 for 24"/3.06.

The 3.06GHz iMac looks as if it just has RAM and HD upgrades. Maybe a new top-of-the-line Quad is coming on Mar 24.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #37 of 138
OMG this would be hilarious.

$2000 for a Core 2 Duo?

If these numbers are true my condolences go out to some of you waiting for current Mac hardware.

Thank God i'm only looking for a mini and if Apple doesn't hit $599 I'm buying used off of craigslist.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #38 of 138
also, they *need* a new mighty mouse. i dont care if it is more sophisticated than it looks, it needs to feel better in a persons hand. if these rumors are faulse, and there is a really good iMac ahead of us, then i will still keep my Microsoft laser mouse 5000.
post #39 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

also, they *need* a new mighty mouse. i dont care if it is more sophisticated than it looks, it needs to feel better in a persons hand. if these rumors are faulse, and there is a really good iMac ahead of us, then i will still keep my Microsoft laser mouse 5000.

What makes that mouse so great?
post #40 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What makes that mouse so great?

it has good response (not amazing, but it was $30), its wireless and the battery last 6 months, it has a scroll and tilt wheel, and it fits very well into the average persons hand.

the mighty mouse is just too much form over function. i know its a good mouse. but its just not as good. ergonomics does mean something to people.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday