or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday

New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday - Page 3

post #81 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Dude, firewire is not the only gateway for pro apps. Earlier today I didn't have a chance to get home to do any colour correction on my mac pro so I fired up colour on my macbook for the first time and had no problems, obviously not as good as my mac pro but fine. Remember this is the same card that is in the macbook pro if you don't boot into the 9600 and a guarantee a lot of users are either too lazy or too dumb to boot into it. This makes the macbooks like 500mhz slower than the pros. Big deal.

The only legitimate case anyone has made against the firewire 800 on the macbook is space. To that I say, drop the kensington lock slot (it's worthless I've seen the metal or plastic left around the lock after they've snapped it off the computer) and move everything but ethernet down to fit it. If push comes to shove drop ethernet and throw in the dongle.

Dude, I understand what you mean, but check this out, although it's not discussed that much except a few times from BAREFEATS.com.

The first several generations of Macbooks had on-board GPU, Intel, they were benchmarked at
70%, 110%, all the way up to 171% when Leopard came out, this was OPENGL only, however, the benchmark is misleading as while it was fast, it was still unacceptable to play games, yet BAREFEATS reported that it RAN Motion and Aperuture very well. So what did Apple do? The next revision Apple released a slower GMA X300 (I think that was the model) and the bench mark went from 171% DOWN to 70%, affecting NOTHING except the use of PRO APPS that ran the OPEN GL.

FFW to present day, now we have Macbooks with dedicated GPU however, NO firewire, so in the PRO forums, many of us, especially MUSICIANS, were pretty fumed with the lack of firewire and many saw the ommision of firewire as a slap in the face to a market base less than 1%. Apple went out of their way to release a re-fresh that went from 171% down to 70% affecting nothing except the PRO apps as it didn't save battery life or offer any performane enhancements, in fact, it was slower.

Just the fact that Apple went out of their way to affect <1% and then to affirm this with the lack of firewire on the present macbooks, was not surprising - this is why if the NEW MINI has both FIREWIRE and DEDICATED GPU, this would be a huge departure from Apple's marketing as they made sure if you wanted to use a PRO APP, you needed both FIREWIRE and DEDICATED GPU, ala iMac, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, and if the MINI has it, then Apple finally realizes that the fast growing segment is laptops and they won't lose to much money (again, less than 1%) with Pro's using these machines as a second or third machine. Honestly, Apple should make MORE money, not less as PRO uses will always have a HIGH END machine.

If the mini has GPU (dedicated) and firewire, you will see these in edit and audio bays all over California, NYC, Boston, Nashville.

The hardest hit (lack of firewire) on the macbook were the a) Musicians that depended on firewire for PRO AUDIO devices and b) All the mom and pop cam cord users that Apple One to One trainers taught (Down big time from Pro Apps to iLife, not many One to One users can tell you about Logic, let alone Shake, Final Cut, Motion), it's all iLife which makes sense as Apple's bread and butter are the EMAIL, iLife, iPhoto barking puppy dog, stroller bearing moms and dads, nothing wrong with that, but a far cry from what it used to be when PRO CARE and ONE TO ONE was one program.

Still, if there is 1394 and dedicated GPU, it will be interesting to see if there is a SNAFU or is it just that Apple realized laptops = largest sales and non risk. Desktops slid almost 40% last quarter - so expect to see mini, imacs, then the mac pros, only to see the new OS to come out for your OTHER $129 LOL
Peace
post #82 of 138
All this talk about RAM, hard disk and CPU without any speculation of the GPUs that maybe used...
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #83 of 138
Hi guys,

I am sure you have noticed all iMacs are available online
It doesn't say NEW but just click the iMac icon and all new 4 models are there.
Enjoy.
post #84 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...Let me know if otherwise, because I don't mind getting a Dell if you can show me a sub-$,1000 USD Dell that has a better than 9400M graphic card in it.

Dell XPS M1530 ("15")
- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
- 4GB RAM
- 256MB NVIDIA 8600M GT
- 320GB HDD
- DVD-RW
- HDMI/VGA/FIREWIRE 400/802.11N
- EXPRESSCARD/54 Slot

about $1100 before dell coupons which are easy to find online... Spec out a Macbook and get back to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...That 9400M can really crunch some graphics, it is one of the best integrated graphics for entry-level to mid-level price points. Look at the Dells and Sonys. Sure you get 15" for the price of a MacBook 13" but you're still looking in many cases at the almost useless GMA X3100.

Entry level?? For the price of a mid/upper-line Macbook, you can easily get a 13" Dell XPS with a discrete GPU that is 3x faster. They are now very nice looking as well -- though obviously no macbook -- but FAR better design and quality than a POS Dell Inspiron (Like the one I'm using lol) The XPS used to be a gaming brand with gamer nerd design, but now they separated them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno View Post

...-Mac Pro Nehalem w/ 16 core option

Nope
1) the 8-core Nehalem "Beckton" Xeon will only be available for quad-socket platforms, and
2) It is not even coming out until the very end of the year at the earliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

If these rumors are true, then it simply means, that the iMac stays with laptop components, and the real update will happen in late autumn, whenever Nehalem laptop chips are available. Looking at the i7 wattage, this might turn out to be the better decision and worth the wait – the i7 desktop CPU's power consumption is higher than the 2.1 GHz G5's used in the iMac and this was quite noisy when compared to the current Intel iMacs.....

No one was talking about a (Core i7) Nehalem in an iMac. But they could readily use a "Penryn" Core 2 Quad without much trouble. Secondly, the Nehalem-based "Clarksfield" quad-core laptop chips that come out sometime in Q3 use more power than the quad-core Penryn. dual-core Nehalem won't be out till after new years 2010...
post #85 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I do not know, why some people think an iMac with laptop components will no longer sell

Simply because a new model at 2.66GHz vs the last one at 2.4GHz after all these months of delays just isn't worth the money or the time. If they've redesigned it, it might be more interesting but you'd be better off getting a refurb. If the Mini is 2 GHz, you'd only lose 33% performance vs the iMac but save about 40% of the price.

If they stick with Core 2 Duo, this is exactly why I think the iMac has seen its day. The Mini with 9400M and DDR3 Ram is powerful enough graphics-wise and although the 2GHz CPU isn't great, it's still a avery capable processor.

Add in 4GB Ram and a 7200rpm hard drive and this generation Mini is the last Mac desktop most consumers will ever need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlitune

does anyone really believe that apple would finally update any of their desktops without a major media announcement.

Yes, if they aren't worth talking about just like they did with the white Macbook.
post #86 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by transocean View Post

Hi guys,

I am sure you have noticed all iMacs are available online
It doesn't say NEW but just click the iMac icon and all new 4 models are there.
Enjoy.

Thats just mean..
post #87 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno View Post

-Mac Mini w/ 100-200GB hard drive and 2GB+ of RAM
-iMac w/ Quad Core processor and 24in+ screen
-Mac Pro Nehalem w/ 16 core option
-AirPort/Time Capsule update
-Snow Leopard announcement
-New iPhone announcement
-64GB iPod Touch and other minor changes to the iPod lineup

+ new LED cinema display(s)
post #88 of 138
No ability to have a Mini with a dedicated PCI-Express 2.0 GPU eliminates me every purchasing one.

I'd love to purchase 2 or 4 and run XGrid with OpenCL and create a rendering farm that allows me to upgrade the GPU as those change.
post #89 of 138
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/03/...-and-mac-pros/

Time for some pricedrops! Only the Pro seem to get that substantial upgrades, Dual cores are really not the leading edge performance wise anymore. My guess is that the iMacs are a screen and GPU bump until they go quad. It appears that Apple still will only have dual cores or octa core CPUs but no real Quadcore!
post #90 of 138
I wonder why no-one's wondering if they're finally going to address the serious display issues that plague current iMacs, especially the 20'' model which I happen to own. Otherwise the best computer platform I ever had the pleasure to work with, the display quality is horrendous, with all the gradient/brightness lack of uniformity issues. I still can't believe such bad quality materials were actually allowed in an Apple hardware product... it's definitely the only reason that would make me want to upgrade my current setup.
post #91 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea818 View Post

I just ordered a refurbed Mac Mini too on Saturday. I'm going to be pretty pissed if the new Mini is 399$-499$(499$ being what I just paid)

Looks like its not shipping till tomorrow, wonder if I should cancel it before it ships, or if I could just return the unopened Fed-Ex box to the Apple store

JUST DENY THE FED-EXP delivery they MUST return to sender.-- if you don't accept the package then it is not "yours" end you can then cancel the order...
post #92 of 138
dyingsun - make sure you get one with an IPS panel. The 20" tend to use TN panels which are inferior to the IPS panels usually used in the 24". I'm obviously unaware what panels they will use in the new ones but check this if you want the best screen quality.
post #93 of 138
Apple Store Down LOL
post #94 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post

dyingsun - make sure you get one with an IPS panel. The 20" tend to use TN panels which are inferior to the IPS panels usually used in the 24". I'm obviously unaware what panels they will use in the new ones but check this if you want the best screen quality.

Yeah, I know about that, but even the 24'' ones are far from being great... and in any case I don't understand why 20'' models are made of lesser quality materials, it just doesn't make any sense, it's the same computer model, just a smaller size! 37'' and 42'' LCD or plasma TVs are made of the same materials, they just vary in size. I honestly never heard of a similar situation.
post #95 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Apple Store Down LOL

No it's not... and all (old) iMacs shipping within 24 hrs btw.
post #96 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

No it's not...

Oh yes, it is.
post #97 of 138
UK Apple Store also off line LOL
post #98 of 138
US Store is down.
post #99 of 138
Italy store down
post #100 of 138
Ditto
post #101 of 138
Just did a "print-screen" on this:

The red box says "Tuesday, March 3rd 2009" in Portuguese. 10:30 is my local time (this post was around 10:40 xD).

I'm actually in the Apple.com store and not in Portuguese store.

Don't know if they usually update their store on Tuesdays, but if not this could really be a sign that new iMacs and/or Mac Mini's are coming...to be honest I'd expect more processing power on them, but if they get good graphics, maybe I'll consider them, over a Macbook White...

Update: Apple Store Portugal is also closed for updates

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

post #102 of 138
Given the rumours and the leaks from fairly sensible sources, I think we are believing this is the real thing
post #103 of 138
The bad news: No event means nothing revolutionary, just upgrades?
post #104 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_hnau View Post

Given the rumours and the leaks from fairly sensible sources, I think we are believing this is the real thing

But "the real thing" could just be a new Time Capsule and a new Airport Extreme. Not that I'd mind too much -- if the new AE has the features that have been discussed on this site, I'll be buying one very soon. No reason that my iPhone and old iMac should slow down my Apple TV's downloading speeds!
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
post #105 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by franz71 View Post

The bad news: No event means nothing revolutionary, just upgrades?

Don't think it follows; there's no law that says Apple have to announce new products to the hacks before they put them on sale
post #106 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

If this rumour is true, then Apple could have put this update out four months ago, at the same time as the MacBooks. I hope it's not the case that Apple was waiting for the Core i7s, but is skittish about Nvidia's problems with Intel over the newer chips, prompting them to release this less dramatic update now. That would be a bummer.

If they release this update with no major announcement, then maybe it's just somethng for the short term while the Intel-Nvidia stuff gets straightened out (which could take a while, actually).

The other possibility might be linked to the random reports of problems some have had with the new Macbooks. Maybe Apple wanted to be certain they had all potential issues with the new nVidia motherboards fully understood/dispelled/fixed before they went ahead with any new models. No sense compounding possible warranty exposure just to get more new models out there.

edit -- or the backlash against the removal of Firewire in the Macbooks might have caused some last minute redesign work on the new desktops. We'll probably never know if that was a factor.
post #107 of 138
Not that I am in the market for some new iMacs or Mac mini, but I do hope for some slightly better specs than what are rumoured in the new ones..
post #108 of 138
I think it's just an upgrade (it's about time!). No major news apart from the Nvidia chipsets. I guess i'm skipping this generation and wait for the quad cores on the iMac. I'd love to have a Mac Pro but I can't afford it so I'll get an iMac as soon as I see them with quad cores. For the time being, I'll stick with my desktop Windows PC *sigh* and my unibody Macbook Pro...
post #109 of 138
I'd pmsl if this was site maintenance :P
post #110 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

I'd pmsl if this was site maintenance :P

Well, it's lunchtime and my PC is busy computing the square root of minus one, so I have nothing better to do
post #111 of 138
post #112 of 138
From Macrumours:

MB417LL/A - IMAC 20" 2.66/2GB/320GB/SD/MSE/KB-USA
MB418LL/A - IMAC 24" 2.66/4GB/640/SD/MSE/KB-USA
MB419LL/A - IMAC 24" 2.93/4GB/640/256/SD/MSE/KB-USA
MB420LL/A - IMAC 24" 3.06/4GB/1TB/512/SD/MSE/KB-USA

What do you think the 256 and 512 are for the last two iMac models? Can't be RAM, maybe graphics card RAM? Or possibly.. SSDs?
Windows Development Team Motto: We are not happy until YOU are not happy
post #113 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

From Macrumours:

What do you think the 256 and 512 are for the last two iMac models? Can't be RAM, maybe graphics card RAM? Or possibly.. SSDs?

most likely graphics RAM since the other two models say "SD" which probably indicates standard integrated graphics.
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
post #114 of 138
Quote:

Or possibly.. SSDs?

In a desktop? I doubt it. All you'd really gain is... um, a lighter wallet.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
post #115 of 138
Quote:

From Macrumours:

Likely the top two models will have separate GPUs with their own RAM (256 and 512, respectively).
post #116 of 138
Fair enough.. wishful thinking at its best
post #117 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Likely the top two models will have separate GPUs with their own RAM (256 and 512, respectively).

Yes, I think that's the thing. Just like in the laptops
post #118 of 138
SD is SuperDrive.
post #119 of 138
apple website is updating "store"!!!

http://store.apple.com/800-908-988/W.../hongkongstore
post #120 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X. View Post

Even More Codes:

Sorry guys. Looks like another Machine too! iMac, Mac Mini and What Else?

MB763LL/A - K10 - USA
MB764LL/A - K30 - GOOD-USA
MB765LL/A - K30 - BETTER-USA

I was going to suggest displays - as they are severly overdue and needed to match the new display connectors... but the 'good' and 'better' terminology doesn't really make sense for displays.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday