or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple debuts new Mac minis with five times better graphics

Apple debuts new Mac minis with five times better graphics - Page 3

post #81 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Catering to those that have over 400 Mac Minis' in a rendering farm is a colossal failure, but it's my fault for no longer being at Apple to make that point.

I'll also remind people that University Engineering and Graphics departments [Architecture and more] would be more than happy to buy a bunch of these, connect them to nice monitors and do Numerical Analysis, FEM/FEA/CAD/CAM on these little boxes, versus buying Mac Pros for 50 lab spots.

Yes, because the total number of mini's running in that role out numbers the consumer market sufficiently that Apple should cater to their needs.

This is like saying that Sony should have designed the PS3 differently so that supercomputer cluster users could be better served. What?

You can easily do NA/FEM/FEA/CAD/CAM on these little boxes vs Mac Pros. Just slooower but at a fraction of the cost.

Oh, and the 9400M chips support CUDA although the drivers do not appear to officially do so. However, on the nVidia forum an employee indicated that it's possible for the future.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...3&#entry452393

and further down you can see:

"I got both the 9400M and the 9600M GT running on CUDA under Mac OS X. When I'm in "Better battery life" mode I can only see the 9400M but if switch to "High performance" and restart then I can see both when I do a device query."

And then we read:

"Nvidia plans to have full OpenCL support in CUDA-capable GPUs (including the 9400M) in the second quarter of this year, and it doesn't hide the link between that and its partnership with Apple. OpenCL will allow developers to write general-purpose apps that can run on both AMD and Nvidia graphics processors, as well as other devices like digital signal processors."

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16268

Ars agrees:

"The notebook also uses NVIDIA's GeForce 9400M chipset with its integrated 16-core GPU, making the machine OpenCL-ready."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...m-graphics.ars

For the "budget" mini, the 9400M still works and is future proof at least as far as Snow Leopard and OpenCL is concerned. It also allows Apple to upgrade the alu Macbooks to the G110M and leave the white Macbook and Mini behind a step while having their entire lineup OpenCL/Snow Leopard ready.

The new GPUs are probably the next speed bump for the MB and MBPs along with Nahalem Mobile.

Today the mini lives in a sweet spot but it won't get the G110M or Nahalem for a long time IMHO.
post #82 of 207
I wish Apple would have killed off the SuperDrive DVD drive in favor additional space inside for another SATA drive, and instead offered an optional external DVD (soon to be Blu-Ray) drive. It could have had the same footprint as the mini. It would have looked cool and been very handy.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #83 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

As for which adaptor, I'd like to see how monoprice's announced mDP-to-HDMI adaptor performs (is it available yet?).

did some research. March 15th is the date.
post #84 of 207
Notice people keep posting about going to 320gb for $79 or so. Should be able to move to 500gb for $109.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136314

I am quite happy with the updated mini. 5th USB port is great, Firewire 800 is great, dual monitor support is great, bump to 4gb memory is great, and finally support for .11n

Picking up two of these for around the house.
post #85 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Apple's marketing is less than optimal. They still refuse to target the HTPC market. Slightly bigger case, allow 3.5" hard drives, more storage for HTPC and lower price point for switchers.

Other than that, its an acceptable although not extraordinary minor update.

Inclusion of FW800 seems confusing, mostly with the conspicuous removal of firewire from the aluminum Macbook. That appears to have been a mistake.

I would have considered an updated Mini a year ago, but now my Macbook is getting old enough that I'd consider buying a new laptop and using my 3yr old Macbook as a HTPC. The new Mini doesn't offer anything special. The new aluminum Macbook with the higher price and lack of FW makes it harder to take the plunge. I like the 13" size but really like FW. In my extensive tests I get twice the speed with FW than USB.

The used market on eBay is interesting. Old Minis don't sell for much less than a new one. But an old Macbook with similar specs can be had for $550-600. That seems worth it to get a laptop for the price of a Mini. Thats probably the route I'll take.

2.5" drives are Green and of course more space efficient.
What HTPC market? You mean that super niche?
So one device not having FW versus the rest including it makes the rule?

Actually you're going to find that if audio support can be enabled and supported through a
mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable the mini will comprise a pretty solid HTPC with the right software. Dual Monitor support is great to. Yeah it's not earth shatterting but I cannot think of a device that's better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomskey View Post

WoW!

I cannot believe everyone is so impressed with the update? It's a complete RIP OFF! No remote is included anymore and the prices here in the UK are waaaaay more expensive than the previous versions - they keep going UP - (£499 or £649).

I was going to replace, but I don't think i'll bother!

:-(

Sorry mate...exchange rate sucks for us too when it comes to UK products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Can some explain the "one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog"
Is this the same as a TOSLINK connection?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It's a mini-plug that can support analog and digital connections. It's pretty handy actually
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #86 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway7 View Post

Notice people keep posting about going to 320gb for $79 or so. Should be able to move to 500gb for $109.

I am quite happy with the updated mini. 5th USB port is great, Firewire 800 is great, dual monitor support is great, bump to 4gb memory is great, and finally support for .11n

That's the 5400RPM drive. A good 320Gb 7200 drive should outperform the scorpio blue even with the density difference. I don't recall if there are specific benchmarks between the scorpio black 320 and the scorpio blue 500.
post #87 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBadderBen View Post

You can buy 4GB (2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SODIMM) @ Crucial for $65:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...KIT25664BC1067

And, after a very quick search, a 320 MB 7200 RPM hard drive for $79
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136280

So for $750 and a bit of labor you can beat the Apple prices substantially. Again, assuming the putty knife trick works here.

Replying to my own message \

Just got confirmation from Crucial that the new mini uses PC3 8500, so the above link is appropriate.
post #88 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

That's the 5400RPM drive. A good 320Gb 7200 drive should outperform the scorpio blue even with the density difference. I don't recall if there are specific benchmarks between the scorpio black 320 and the scorpio blue 500.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...d%5B2251%5D=on

Well, that was easy. The 320Gb Black is a hair faster then the 500Gb Blue.

I would get the Blue for a notebook/netbook (power consumption and vibration) and flip a coin on the Mini.

I'd probably lean toward the Black for the mini and get an array of 500Gb blues at some point. Any single drive is waiting to fail at the wrong time and backing up even 320Gb to a Time Capsule should be amusing.
post #89 of 207
Quote:

Good point. Thought people were referencing it due to the space, not the rpms.
post #90 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel2 View Post

How does OS X know the maximum of the GPU's chipset?

For example. u buy the baseline 599 model with 128 allocation. when u add another gig of ram, how does it know to expand the GPU to 256-max?

Best case scenario GPU memory will automatically allocated based on % of installed RAM, worst cast scenario Apple set GPU memory in EFI. Either way I am sure the user will be able to modify GPU memory allocation. Someone will figure how to change it if Apple set it in EFI.
post #91 of 207
I'm quite pleased with it. With the price hikes, the Mini looks to be Apple's best value product right now. The 9400M with OpenCL compatibility looks powerful enough for most things. Just throw in 4GB Ram and a 7200 rpm drive and it's a nice little desktop.

The CPUs are a bit slow but the machine is tiny, easy to move around and easy to resell.

This is what the Mini should have been years ago except with the X1600 in there instead of GMA.

The £100+ price hike on it certainly isn't appreciated - the US seems to benefit from Apple vs the rest of the world irrespective of the economic situation. I guess the 'i' and 'me' symbolism they are so keen on shows who they care about most.

It's not entirely their fault but as I say, when the dollar is down, they still keep the home crowd safe.
post #92 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel2 View Post

I'm wondering if i just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 599 model, upgraded ram (from 3rd party vendor), and perhaps cpu down the road (if i really wanted to. Once i go to 2 GB of ram, how do i allocate the vid card to use 256?

I don't think you can upgrade the CPU. Certainly not at a reasonable price, anyway.

I'd wait, seriously. Find out what the story is on performance for what you want. Somebody is going to try it and write something up soon enough. Within a couple of weeks I would guess.

I think the allocation is automatic, but I'll check later today.
post #93 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The £100+ price hike on it certainly isn't appreciated - the US seems to benefit from Apple vs the rest of the world irrespective of the economic situation. I guess the 'i' and 'me' symbolism they are so keen on shows who they care about most.

It's not entirely their fault but as I say, when the dollar is down, they still keep the home crowd safe.

It's not as bad as it sounds. In the US, sales taxes apply and are not included in the list price. In the UK you are paying VAT, included in the price. An Apples to Apples comparison (pre-tax vs. pre VAT) of price shows that with the devalued pound the difference is less than half what it appears to be.
post #94 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I found this on the footnotes:
# Memory available to Mac OS X may vary depending on graphics needs. Minimum graphics memory usage is 128MB for 1GB configuration and 256MB for 2GB configuration.
-----
what's still confusing is, it still separates them out, but i'm sure thats due to the case the 2nd options comes w/ a minimum of 2gb
post #95 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

2.5" drives are Green and of course more space efficient.
What HTPC market? You mean that super niche?
So one device not having FW versus the rest including it makes the rule?

Actually you're going to find that if audio support can be enabled and supported through a
mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable the mini will comprise a pretty solid HTPC with the right software. Dual Monitor support is great to. Yeah it's not earth shatterting but I cannot think of a device that's better.

Sorry mate...exchange rate sucks for us too when it comes to UK products.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It's a mini-plug that can support analog and digital connections. It's pretty handy actually

Thanks Mate!

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #96 of 207
Does anyone know which adapter to buy if I want to drive 2 DVI screens?
post #97 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrex View Post

Does anyone know which adapter to buy if I want to drive 2 DVI screens?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjkyNjI0MQ

AND

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9...mco=MjE0NTg3Nw
post #98 of 207
This is the first mini that I really want to buy. I like the FW800, Nvidia Grapics, the Superdrive in the low end model.. I'm starting to think it's time to unload some of my older Mac computers.
post #99 of 207
I for one am THRILLED that Apple finally updated the Mac mini. I can't wait to get one.
Not too long ago, many thought that the Mac mini was dead. Obviously the reports of it's death had been greatly exaggerated.
Long live the Mac mini!
post #100 of 207
Quote:

I had a Seagate Momentus 7200.1 100gb in a T61.

The Scorpio Black 320 was Noticeably faster in the same laptop on upgrade. -Same system, too; cloned right on from 1 to the other.

--
Otherwise: Yay for usable graphics chip in a Mini!!! It is now on the shopping list.
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
post #101 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Front Row has been in maintenence mode for a while. Apple has no intentions of offering the Mac mini as some sort of quasi HTPC. If consumers feel that $100 is expensive for a DVD player how is Apple going to convince them that $600 is a more suitable product choice. Hell that's more than people are spending on their HDTV. The cleanest setup is a media extender aka Apple TV with a bit of local storage and the ability to stream music video and photos.

That happens a lot when you take a product outside it's intended market. The mini is a computer it's not a home theatre device.

No matter the state of Front Row, Apple includes it with the mini and offers the remote as an option for the Mini stating, "The Apple Remote combines with Front Row — a menu-driven, full-screen interface — to make accessing your digital content from any seat in the room as simple as navigating an iPod." Sounds to me like Apple intends the mini to be considered for home theater use even if you don't. You compared the mini to a $100 DVD player, I didn't. As a low-end or entry computer, the mini is underspecced. At the top end, it's useable but over priced. A full grand and some change for the top end BTO with those specs is too much. Adding the HDMI and a little better pricing gives longevity to the mini as a multi-purpose unit, THAT is my point. As an aside, Apple shouldn't cheap out on the remote, Front Row makes no sense without it. Including Front Row and charging for the remote makes the customer feel like they are getting nickel and dimed, they're already over charging for memory and the HD.

Follow along here, try not to think so small. The mini is either under-specced or overpriced as a low-end computer. No matter how you look at it, it's underspecced as an HTPC, but it has a form factor perfect to be used as one. The mini, among other things, is intended to bring people into the Mac world, which comes at a premium cost of entry to most. Configuring the unit to do both gives it greater longevity which makes it's cost more reasonable. Bring the specs more in line with the cost and you can use the mini as an entry or low-end Mac for a year or so and you can afford to move up to newer higher specced machine sooner because your mini still has a second life and you won't have over-invested in overpriced technology that is outdated next year. When you move up to a faster more powerful computer, you can then take your mini and move it to your HT because it could (key word, "could") be perfect for it. At that time in the future, in addition to your newer faster workhorse computer in your home office, you'll also have an upscaling DVD, itunes and access to iTunes store, full surfing capability, full email, YouTube, facebook, and the like, the full functioning OS that lets you actually do real work, all accessible from the comfort of the sofa in your living room for your use, another member of your household, guest, whatever—a very cool option.

I do graphic design and have an original PPC 2 gig G5 for when I need to work at home. It's aging and I need to replace it. The mini is almost functional as a stop gap until I'm ready, but it's too much for too little in it's current pricing scheme for me to use it that way. AppleTV is interesting, but since I have a PS3, I don't want to spend $300 for "interesting." However, if I felt like I was getting both a full functioning computer that I got my money's worth for a while that later becomes Apple TV without being nickel and dimed, I might be more inclined to bite because it would have 2 lives for me. As it is, I'll be buying a tower or an iMac within a year or so. As configured and priced now, Apple is probably going to lose the sale of the mini to me (which I was very interested in buying until I saw the new specs) when they could have sold me the mini AND a new tower or iMac. I doubt very seriously I'm the only person who was interested in the mini in that way, so I'm guessing Apple will have lost the sale of a new mini to other folks in my boat. That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short of how your market intends to use it.
post #102 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanganki View Post

Apple is charging the same in the U.K. as the U.S. and you are complaining?

$600 = 426 pounds.

I assume there is something like 17% Tax in Britain (just a guess):
426 * 1.17 = 498 pounds.

The Apple Store UK shows 499 pounds. That sounds fair to me.

I know. It's the same tiresome cross-border whining every time Apple comes out with something.... (btw, the EU also saddles all electronics manufacturers with the end-of-life 'take-down' costs for the environment).
post #103 of 207
Quote:

Yeah, but I'd sacrifice capacity for speed any day. I'll never go back to 5400rpm.

Which means that I'm excited about this:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...mentus_7200.4/
post #104 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's a solid deal, but not enough for me to use it as a stack for OpenCL. See my prior post about the Nvidia G110M.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product..._g110m_us.html

Your aware the 110m is LESS than the 9400M, right? 48 Gigaflops VS. 54, 64bit vs 128. Seems to me your looking at the WRONG chicken. The 9400M is faster, quicker, and has twice the bus, Not too mention....

700mhz DDR3 Vs 1066mhz DDR3

Oh, and the 9400M has integrated USB, SATA II, Audio, PCI-E/X, ethernet, just to name a few... The 9400M is all around an integrated North/South/Video controller and BETTER than the 110M.
post #105 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

No matter the state of Front Row, Apple includes it with the mini and offers the remote as an option for the Mini stating, "The Apple Remote combines with Front Row — a menu-driven, full-screen interface — to make accessing your digital content from any seat in the room as simple as navigating an iPod." Sounds to me like Apple intends the mini to be considered for home theater use even if you don't.

Jeez, the number of folks that use a HTPC...PC, Mac, whatever, EVEN on AVS Forum is miniscule. Apple has the Apple TV as their set top entry, not the mini.

And heck, I can't remember the last time Front Row got a feature update vs a fix for the latest iTunes. All the cool stuff like understudy has been open source or 3rd party.

Quote:
As a low-end or entry computer, the mini is underspecced.

It is Apple's entry level computer which is a SFF computer. As such, it seems to be better spec'd than the Dell Studio Hybrid which is $449 but for the Pentium Dual core. Not the C2D although it does come with 2GB standard.

Quote:
At the top end, it's useable but over priced.

The top end Mini is over priced...and it's meant to be so the iMac looks great in comparison. But it's nothing a putty knife and newegg can't solve.

Quote:
Follow along here, try not to think so small. The mini is either under-specced or overpriced as a low-end computer.

Follow along here...that's just your opinion. My opinion is that the new mini is a FAR better deal than the old mini and probably the best bang for the buck Mac today. That won't last long as the iMacs get bumped.

Quote:
When you move up to a faster more powerful computer, you can then take your mini and move it to your HT because it could (key word, "could") be perfect for it.

An application domain that is probably less than 1% of users even on AVS Forum. Wooohooo.

Or get an AppleTV and Boxee it. Or just use your PS3.

Quote:
I do graphic design and have an original PPC 2 gig G5 for when I need to work at home. It's aging and I need to replace it. The mini is almost functional as a stop gap until I'm ready, but it's too much for too little in it's current pricing scheme for me to use it that way.

Yes, a $599 C2D machine that can go to 4GB of ram and drive a 30" ACD is almost functional as a stopgap.

Well...hopefully drove a 30" ACD if the damn adapter doesn't suck but I digress. Dual 24" displays anyway. Hmmm...I wonder if two 4GB sticks might work. Not that I have a spare $700 to buy two sticks to try...

Quote:
As configured and priced now, Apple is probably going to lose the sale of the mini to me (which I was very interested in buying until I saw the new specs) when they could have sold me the mini AND a new tower or iMac. I doubt very seriously I'm the only person who was interested in the mini in that way, so I'm guessing Apple will have lost the sale of a new mini to other folks in my boat. That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short for how your market intends to use it.

If you can show me a significant HTPC market I might agree. Heck, and I have a half dozen old HTPC builds gathering dust in my basement. Futzing around trying to get Front Row to work seamlessly as a HTPC is really low on my list of things to do these days. Although I might try Understudy for kicks.

Otherwise, that's a mighty small boat you're in.
post #106 of 207
I'm pleasantly pleased with the update. FW800 was a no brainer, it's built into the 9400. 5 USB ports was a surprise.

MacBook with no monitor or kybd... Not sure the Macbook has a FW800 port. Nah, this is more of a high end PC, low-end Mac. Any jacka** can build a tower with power (see any PC company anywhere, including your neighborhood). Takes skill to build something that like the Mini. I'd like to see the test results later too. Compare it not to the little junk Dell/HP/Asus are pushing but the mainstream systems (AKA JunkBoxes).

Digging the power savings too. Wonder if the powerbrick got smaller.
post #107 of 207
Quote:

am quite happy with the updated mini. 5th USB port is great, Firewire 800 is great, dual monitor support is great, bump to 4gb memory is great, and finally support for .11n

I just called my local Apple Store and asked about dual monitor support for the new Mini. They said that it does NOT support more than one monitor at a time.

Sad but true
post #108 of 207
Quote:

That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short for how your market intends to use it.

The target Market: PC users, Current Mac users... Who want to use and leverage an operating system that is fully capable right out of the box. Use iLife, iWork and hey wow now you can run Final Cut, logic, aperture, etc...

Falls short of markets intended use... No, that's Windows and PC's.

This mini will blow the side door off ANY G5.
post #109 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I just called my local Apple Store and asked about dual monitor support for the new Mini. They said that it does NOT support more than one monitor at a time.

Sad but true

Yea, thats on the tech specs at apples site.
post #110 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walney View Post

D'oh! Another slam dunk from Apple. Entry level UK price rises by £109

...so it's not "our most affordable Mac"... that would be the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomskey View Post

WoW!

I cannot believe everyone is so impressed with the update? It's a complete RIP OFF! No remote is included anymore and the prices here in the UK are waaaaay more expensive than the previous versions - they keep going UP - (£499 or £649).

I was going to replace, but I don't think i'll bother!

:-(

Don't worry, your currency will crater along with your economy, making the exchange rate better. 8)
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #111 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Don't worry, your currency will crater along with your economy, making the exchange rate better. 8)

Their just getting started... Have friends in England selling everything they own, buying Euro's.
post #112 of 207
I don't mind that they kept the $599 base price, since its now EPEAT Gold and the graphics is better, but 1Gb RAM is ludicrous. No computer should come with less than 2Gb RAM. Didn't Apple learn anything after they bumped up the base Macbook?
I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard and hope that Apple bumps up the RAM on the base model.
With or without Jobs Apple always finds a way to infuriate me.
post #113 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I don't think you can upgrade the CPU. Certainly not at a reasonable price, anyway.

I'd wait, seriously. Find out what the story is on performance for what you want. Somebody is going to try it and write something up soon enough. Within a couple of weeks I would guess.

You can upgrade the CPU, at least in the older units. It was Socket M, now Socket P (I think, don't shoot me if I'm wrong). They'd have to redesign the internal brackets for the lower cpu mounting depth and I think that would have added to the price. So I'll wager it's upgradeable.
post #114 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I don't mind that they kept the $599 base price, since its now EPEAT Gold and the graphics is better, but 1Gb RAM is ludicrous. No computer should come with less than 2Gb RAM. Didn't Apple learn anything after they bumped up the base Macbook?
I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard and hope that Apple bumps up the RAM on the base model.
With or without Jobs Apple always finds a way to infuriate me.

Your thinking PC. OS X 10.5 doesn't NEED 2gb. 1gb is fine for 70% of the people. DDR3 is fairly new. Checking newegg, and this is weird, 1gb sticks cost $33-41 each, 2gb's in the same price... Weird. Yea it will run better with 2, but then it'll run better with 4!
post #115 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Your thinking PC. OS X 10.5 doesn't NEED 2gb. 1gb is fine for 70% of the people. DDR3 is fairly new. Checking newegg, and this is weird, 1gb sticks cost $33-41 each, 2gb's in the same price... Weird. Yea it will run better with 2, but then it'll run better with 4!

4 GB ram kit for $52.99... sharing is caring
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148191
post #116 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Sad but true

That is a shame given dual 24" is cheaper than one 30".

Er...wait. See here:

Expand your experience.

There’s nothing quite like seeing your photos and movies on a big, beautiful display. Unless, of course, you add a second. Mac mini comes with both mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort output ports, so you can connect up to two displays. Choose the beautiful, widescreen Apple LED Cinema Display or displays available from many third parties.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html

And:

Graphics and video support

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

How do you do video mirroring or extended desktop on one monitor?
post #117 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

You can upgrade the CPU, at least in the older units. It was Socket M, now Socket P (I think, don't shoot me if I'm wrong). They'd have to redesign the internal brackets for the lower cpu mounting depth and I think that would have added to the price. So I'll wager it's upgradeable.

I think for now i will stick with the standard 2.0, and see what upgrade options arise 3-6mos from now.
post #118 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Follow along here, try not to think so small. The mini is either under-specced or overpriced as a low-end computer. No matter how you look at it, it's underspecced as an HTPC, but it has a form factor perfect to be used as one. The mini, among other things, is intended to bring people into the Mac world, which comes at a premium cost of entry to most. Configuring the unit to do both gives it greater longevity which makes it's cost more reasonable. Bring the specs more in line with the cost and you can use the mini as an entry or low-end Mac for a year or so and you can afford to move up to newer higher specced machine sooner because your mini still has a second life and you won't have over-invested in overpriced technology that is outdated next year.

When you move up to a faster more powerful computer, you can then take your mini and move it to your HT because it could (key word, "could") be perfect for it. At that time in the future, in addition to your newer faster workhorse computer in your home office, you'll also have an upscaling DVD, itunes and access to iTunes store, full surfing capability, full email, YouTube, facebook, and the like, the full functioning OS that lets you actually do real work, all accessible from the comfort of the sofa in your living room for your use, another member of your household, guest, whatevera very cool option.

I do graphic design and have an original PPC 2 gig G5 for when I need to work at home. It's aging and I need to replace it. The mini is almost functional as a stop gap until I'm ready, but it's too much for too little in it's current pricing scheme for me to use it that way. AppleTV is interesting, but since I have a PS3, I don't want to spend $300 for "interesting." However, if I felt like I was getting both a full functioning computer that I got my money's worth for a while that later becomes Apple TV without being nickel and dimed, I might be more inclined to bite because it would have 2 lives for me. As it is, I'll be buying a tower or an iMac within a year or so. As configured and priced now, Apple is probably going to lose the sale of the mini to me (which I was very interested in buying until I saw the new specs) when they could have sold me the mini AND a new tower or iMac. I doubt very seriously I'm the only person who was interested in the mini in that way, so I'm guessing Apple will have lost the sale of a new mini to other folks in my boat. That happens a lot when you make a product that falls short of how your market intends to use it.

As much as I like the idea of a mini for HTPC I keep coming up on the limitations of a computer versus a dedicated device. While a C2D is a good processor and the Nvidia graphics are a step up these processing units are designed for general computing use. If you take a Blu-ray STB and crack the cover you're not going to see a Intel proc and Nvidia GPU but you will see a Broadcom or Imagination ASIC that plays back 1080p video without breaking a sweat. Though of course you're not going to run standard Mac applications on said device.

We're not going to get a 3.5" HDD into a mini so I'm wondering if Apple's best solution for digital lifestyle domination is to truly turn the Apple TV into a CE device complete with the proper ASICS and decoder and leverage network storage where consumers can add 2TB HDD to a multibay enclosure. It woould make data protection easier (centralized storage) and more flexible. What say you?
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #119 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBadderBen View Post

You can buy 4GB (2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SODIMM) @ Crucial for $65:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...KIT25664BC1067

And, after a very quick search, a 320 MB 7200 RPM hard drive for $79
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136280

So for $750 and a bit of labor you can beat the Apple prices substantially. Again, assuming the putty knife trick works here.

Newegg sells the same exact Crucial (CT2KIT25664BC1067) for $52.99 (no tax and free shipping).

Also look into the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB (currently out of stock though but no tax and free shipping when available) for $139.00 at Newegg.

I have one of these in my laptop (will remove it and replace with 320GB Scorpio Black which was my previous laptop HD).

And yes to the $750 option (2.26GHz P8400 1 GB memory 120 GB HD).

Sweet!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #120 of 207
I'm anxiously awaiting the first reviews of how the new Mini runs Adobe's Design suite.
I'd also like to know how well it drives the 30" monitor.

(Just in case anyone is interested in where to start after the unboxing.)
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple debuts new Mac minis with five times better graphics