or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology

Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology - Page 3

post #81 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Um, because the adapter has playback controls, not just a volume controls

works the same way as the remote headphones

have you ever used the remote headphones? or the iPhone headphones? Do you need a large play/pause button? I'd like to keep my device in my pocket so people don't know that I'm carrying a $600 iPhone

Maybe you're looking at a different Griffin adapter than I am. The one I see has one button, for iPhone talk/end.
post #82 of 342
Quote:

Um, because the adapter has playback controls, not just a volume controls

works the same way as the remote headphones

have you ever used the remote headphones? or the iPhone headphones? Do you need a large play/pause button? I'd like to keep my device in my pocket so people don't know that I'm carrying a $600 iPhone

Ah my bad... I hope it is compatible with the new Shuffle... With Apple, you never know...
post #83 of 342
When you put the new shuffle and Apple's bluetooth headset together, you will notice that they both look very similar.

I really like the design of the new iPod. It shows that Apple is going into the modern look/style.

I remember correctly, Steve Jobs once said that he does not like buttons. The less buttons a device, the better.

Its going to be very hard for consumers to use this new technology. Almost everyone is use to some kind of button on a device such as the iPod. But, overtime I think it will catch on.
post #84 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

You can use these, correct?

http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/

Those replacement headphones cost the same as the new Shuffle ! That doesn't look good !!!
post #85 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You miss the point. These adapters have no volume controls. Only a single button that I suppose might work as a play/pause button, but what good is that without the ability to skip tracks and change the volume?

But it looks good- stop complaining.
post #86 of 342
Quote:

You miss the point. These adapters have no volume controls. Only a single button that I suppose might work as a play/pause button, but what good is that without the ability to skip tracks and change the volume?

I understand the volume control thing (i mixed up my post there)
The skip/back feature is used by dbl clicking or triple clicking the control button. Everything should work but the volume. I am sure that there are others out there that have a similar design, and you can guarantee that there will be more now that this has changed.

I'm not missing the point, but offering a solution. There are high-end headphones that have built in volume, but are missing controls. That is what this adapter will provide.

The newer in ear headphones work well according to the Apple Store (compatible with 3rd gen shuffle).
post #87 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those replacement headphones cost the same as the new Shuffle ! That doesn't look good !!!

Those are Apple's better headphones. They still sell the eaarbuds that come with the Shuffle for considerably cheaper, though I don't know what the cost of the headphones has to do with the cost of the player. The better quality the headphones the more they are going to cost. You can buy headphones that cost many times more than the 32GB iPod Touch.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #88 of 342
I love how Apple juices the most out of its fruit. Always introduce 1 or two colors, the fan boys run out and buy it. A few months later... eeeeeek, it comes in (insert color here) and fan boy gets juiced twice!

love it.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #89 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashi View Post

Is Apple's lowliest product offering a glimpse of the future.
We know that Apple doesn't think keyboards should be on portable devices (apart from Macbooks). With all this debate about are Apple doing a NetBook or will they launch an upscale iPodTouch tablet.
Maybe they plan to add voice recognition to the iPhone (we need it for voice dialling anyway) and iPodTouch. If they could get this to actually work then maybe a keyboard is not necessary.
Is Voice Over on the Shuffle the first glimpse of this - first Touch then Voice.

You need to read a little more carefully.

The iPod speaks to you.

You do not speak to the iPod, it is not voice controlled.
post #90 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

You need to read a little more carefully.

The iPod speaks to you.

You do not speak to the iPod, it is not voice controlled.

Didn't they say the same thing about the black slab in 2001 A Space Odyssey?
post #91 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks great- but what does it sound like??

Watch the video and note the "robotic" voice when syncing to a PC compared with the voice of Mac. Pretty cool

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/gui...ur/medium.html
post #92 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ah.....but is it snappier?

TM! You forgot the TM
"Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - douglas adams
"Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - douglas adams
post #93 of 342
I guess the solution is to wait for a third party to fix it with a new adapter that has a button and volume controls?

Great.

Apple should have had the adapter ready before the new Shuffle was announced. They didn't. Hence, complaint.

I can't use my Sony EX-300SL headphones that I LOVE, and the solution is to wait, or to buy the Apple in-ear headphones. Thanks.

I agree with many of the people who have noted of late that Apple is skimping/profiteering/basically doing shitty things to customers.

Last week my Universal Dock for iPod suddenly stopped outputting audio, video and receiving remote controls from the Apple Remote. I found out that not only does the new Universal Dock cost more (HK$400 vs. $300 for the version I had), it no longer has video out, so you have to spend another $50 (HK$400) for a video cable. Replace a $320 item for $800, in order to get the same functionality. Thanks, Apple. (I ended up buying a heavily used display unit of the old kind for full $300 price, no warranty, box, cable or dock adapters).
post #94 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Watch the video and note the "robotic" voice when syncing to a PC compared with the voice of Mac. Pretty cool

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/gui...ur/medium.html

Not the sound of the voice , the sound quality of the music, for godsake!!
post #95 of 342
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...d-shuffle.html

Quote:
...Apple had been working with accessory makers to ensure iPod shuffle controls are built into a wide variety of new headphones, such as sports earphones.

“They’ll be introducing headphones that have the controller integrated into their headphone design,” he said. “There will also be adapter cables available, so you can use your existing headphones with the new shuffle too.” (emphasis added)

The previous generation is still available, too, so there's no reason to complain. You don't need this on THE FIRST DAY it's available.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #96 of 342
Quote:

At the gym my headphones go down the back of my neck, not the front, due to sweat and they get in the way- so this is totally worthless to me, not to mention that I know what I want to hear in the gym- the music. I don't want voices speaking to me- that's why I wear headphones.

Love the whine. How often do you skip songs at the gym? Most have a playlist that they set up specifically for what they use the Shuffle for. Also, the voice option is an OPTION. Don't turn it on.
post #97 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

How in the hell does Apple think they can force people to buy their cheap crappy headphones? They can't possible expect to be able to cut off the entire audio headphone industry can they?

Yeah, because obviously the third-party suppliers Apple has already been working with to make Shuffle-compatible earphones won't bother making Shuffle-compatible earphones.

Jeez.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #98 of 342
Shouldn't the FM transmitter controls work for this iPod?
post #99 of 342
Quote:

Here's what I just posted on the other thread about the new shuffles

hopefully the same functionality of the remote will work on the Shuffles too

the only thing im not sure of is if they changed the remote headphones too (because of how the new voice talk feature works)

Thanks to really crappy headphones that hurt to wear, people will flock to buy third party headphones with integrated controls on them. Since those will, of course, be made for the iPod, the manufacturer has to pay Apple's "Made for iPod" accessory marketing fees.

No we'll have at least 30 headphone makers paying into a fee system to replace apple's poor accessory. Now THAT's a business model!
post #100 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Love the whine. How often do you skip songs at the gym? Most have a playlist that they set up specifically for what they use the Shuffle for. Also, the voice option is an OPTION. Don't turn it on.

let me get this right- You have a playlist that you made and still need to hear what song you're listening too?
post #101 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Speaking song titles is probably the dumbest waste of tech I've ever heard of. They spent the time money and effort on that, but they still resist even a one line display?

Oh, and a new bonus!! They've raised the price too!

A one line display would make it even larger. They didn't raise the price. The 2GB Shuffle was originally $79, and the 1GB was $49. When the last Shuffle arrived, it was $79 for 1GB. So with 4GB and the added features, $79 is very reasonable, and not a price increase either.
post #102 of 342
Quote:

let me get this right- You have a playlist that you made and still need to know what song you're listening too?

Nope. Not when I am at the gym or bike riding. I have a playlist for the Shuffle so I don't need to know the name of the song playing. Remember, Apple did this with the Nano to add "Universal" access.
post #103 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbfoundry View Post

Thanks to really crappy headphones that hurt to wear, people will flock to buy third party headphones with integrated controls on them.

Or buy adapters and use their existing headphones?

But iPods have always been like that: they've always included crap headphones. And, really, since when have you ever bought a portable CD player that had a set of GREAT headphones with them? I've never, ever, ever used the stock headphones that came with a portable music player.
post #104 of 342
The 2nd Gen Shuffle was great in my car with a cassette adapter. And now?
post #105 of 342
Quote:

Nope. Not when I am at the gym or bike riding. I have a playlist for the Shuffle so I don't need to know the name of the song playing. Remember, Apple did this with the Nano to add "Universal" access.

So again- this is an unecessary update. Improve the sound quality back to where it was on the 1G shuffle. That's all that's was needed, if anything.
post #106 of 342
Quote:

Buy new ones! Keep the economy rolling!!
post #107 of 342
Quote:

let me get this right- You have a playlist that you made and still need to know what song you're listening too?

I think it will be more useful for knowing which of the multiple playlists you're selecting. That's the one enticing feature about this thing to me: multiple playlists.

Navigating 1GB of music on my old Shuffle (since bequeathed to my girlfriend) was enough of a pain; I can't imagine dealing with up to 4GB of music without multiple playlists.
post #108 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbfoundry View Post

Thanks to really crappy headphones that hurt to wear, people will flock to buy third party headphones with integrated controls on them. Since those will, of course, be made for the iPod, the manufacturer has to pay Apple's "Made for iPod" accessory marketing fees.

No we'll have at least 30 headphone makers paying into a fee system to replace apple's poor accessory. Now THAT's a business model!

are you a hurt headphone maker?
you know, if anything, this gives more 3rd parties incentive to make adapters... bet on that

they'll make MORE money by selling adapters for their headphones, or just NEW headphones with the controls.

everything has licensing fees... get over it.
if you were Apple, you'd want to make money - hence capitalism - and if you were a headphone maker, you'd probably make sure your stuff would work on an iPod before spending money on said fee. QC

and have you read ANY of the posts after mine, or do you get so far and make a comment.
post #109 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I think it will be more useful for knowing which of the multiple playlists you're selecting. That's the one enticing feature about this thing to me: multiple playlists.

Navigating 1GB of music on my old Shuffle (since bequeathed to my girlfriend) was enough of a pain; I can't imagine dealing with up to 4GB of music without multiple playlists.

I'd like it for the names of podcast episodes. That can be a pain on the old shuffle.
post #110 of 342
Quote:

Keep it - no change - still great.

Are AI forum frequenters having a bad morning? I have never read so much bitching about nothing for a long time. Or are you guys just genetically pre-disposed to see the negative with any given situation?
post #111 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's a shuffle. - that's what the shuffle feature is for.
Multiple playlists in a gym device would be great if you're:
1.) Training for a marathon- and in that case headphones would probably start to annoy anyway.
2.) You have ADD.
post #112 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They did the raise the price by $10.

It's only $10 more in the US? Shit, it doubled in price here.
post #113 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Are AI forum frequenters having a bad morning? I have never read so much bitching about nothing for a long time. Or are you guys just genetically pre-disposed to see the negative with any given situation?

Not necessarily- but it would be nice if you had added what's so positve about this unecessary shuffle update.
post #114 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I don't understand all the negative nellies bitching about the fact that you can't use non-Apple headphones with the new shuffle.

In the first case you probably can, it just won't have any volume and track controls as those are patented by Apple. Secondly, any headphones you can get that aren't Apple headphones, especially those that are of the same quality or higher, are going to cost you double the cost of the player itself.

What the heck are you buying the cheapest, lowest capacity player on the market for if you are some kind of audiophile that is too good to wear standard earbuds? Are you serious? And why should Apple twist themselves double trying to make such a tiny tiny fragment of an already tiny market segment happy?

Your kidding about the cost thing right? Audiophiles would definately pay through the nose for the best headphones available period without apology.
post #115 of 342
Quote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's a shuffle. - that's what the shuffle feature is for.
Multiple playlists in a gym device would be great if you're:
1.) Training for a marathon- and in that case headphones would probably start to annoy anyway.
2.) You have ATD.

Or you're like me if you like several genre's of music and like to switch it up on different workout days.

None of my hip hop sounds good with my rock, or my jazz, or my trance/dance

I have SEVERAL playlists dedicated to specific genres, not including the Genius PLs
post #116 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The increase in whining is in direct proportion to Apple making some seriously stupid product decisions of late.
post #117 of 342
Well, I've decided that this is not for me.

Even with an adapter, that only means increased cord length or a clumsy connection. One of the reasons I love my third party headphones (besides the fact that I can't stand non-in ear buds) is the short cable. Even if an adapter comes on to the market without a cable, once you've added an adapter to the Shuffle, it's no longer so small or elegant.

I'll stick with my 2nd Gen.
post #118 of 342
Quote:

Well, I've decided that this is not for me.

Even with an adapter, that only means increased cord length or a clumsy connection. One of the reasons I love my third party headphones (besides the fact that I can't stand non-in ear buds) is the short cable. Even if an adapter comes on to the market without a cable, once you've added an adapter to the Shuffle, it's no longer so small or elegant.

I'll stick with my 2nd Gen.

Then lets hope they come out with more Headphones with Volume control + Playback control and avoid the adapter option

I need a new set of headphones anyways... I can wait
post #119 of 342
I don't think anyone needs "audiophile" quality at the GYM, especially when most were happy when all you had was a Sony Walkman playing tapes at the gym in the past. It is a $79 player, use it for what it is, and then enjoy your high end stereo at home.
post #120 of 342
Quote:

I don't think anyone needs "audiophile" quality at the GYM, especially when most were happy when all you had was a Sony Walkman playing tapes at the gym in the past. It is a $79 player, use it for what it is, and then enjoy your high end stereo at home.

Well I'm not wearing stupid "look at me" white earbuds period. I guess the product is not for me unless 3rd parties come out with compatible earphones. And even if they do we are still talking about a limited selection here.
The talk back feature is nice.....but not that nice.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology