or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event - Page 4

post #121 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post

it's really not that baffling. remember imac back in 1999. they didn't include a floppy disk drive on a consumer pc. that was baffling for some too but apple has a tendency to not only steer its users but also steer the entire market. copy/paste and mms are features you think you want because other smartphone makers have them but apple isn't interested in pleasing its customers as much as they're interested converting their thinking to something different. that's why there's no real twerty keypad. how come you don't complain about that?

i'll take a copy/paste too but i won't use it. if we go another 6-12 months without copy/paste, i guarantee you won't see the need for it either. remember, sometimes innovation is created by stripping away features and simplifying the experience. sorry if i sound pretentious but i'm channeling apple here...

Generally I would agree. I do understand why Apple makes these choices, and trust me, I'm a huge Apple fan. Apple has acted, many times over, as the innovator in the marketplace, and by raising the bar all consumers have benefitted. The iPhone is in fact a great example; just witness how other handset makers are scrambling to catch up.

I disagree with the concept that "you don't need cut and paste", however. There is a reason this feature is included even in Apple's own OS. At a basic level, it's a convenience for the end user; this is a usability issue. I find myself wanting it very frequently, and I imagine I am not alone. All the diatribes about the iphone not being a text editing device and blah blah aside, the idea that a user might want to select some text in one context and transplant it into another is just very basic. You don't need to be running two apps simultaneously to want to do it, nor do you need to be running mobile iWork to need it; I gave a few examples of where it comes in really handy. Someone else here attacked me earlier on this point. I've been called a whiner and plenty of other names, which I think is sad. I'm observing my own frustration with the lack of this feature. I come across this a lot, and I don't think I'm unique in that.

With MMS, again I agree that the way Apple is handling photo sharing is better. But it doesn't help me share pictures of my son with my friends or colleagues, none of whom have iPhones. Next tie you are in the AT&T store (or any cell phone store for that matter), see if you can find a camera phone that does not support MMS. I bet you will find it difficult to do. Providing an MMS gateway so that an iPhone owner can share with others / be shared with... is not about whether or not apple should or should not support of an aging technology so much as it is about whether or not Apple should support the consumer doing fun things with their product. That's my view, anyway.

I do understand where you are coming from, I just disagree that it's the right approach.

By the way, let me thank you for your well-reasoned response. It's a little amusing to me the rabid responses I've gotten here for something so innocuous as harboring an opinion about what the iPhone lacks; you would think that I've insulted Steve Jobs' mother to his face or something. Someone here actually suggested that Apple is keeping track of what people say here and in other forums (laughable, but lets go with it). So, by that understanding, I suppose I am off Steve's thanksgiving dinner invite list because I think iPhone needs copy / paste and MMS. What a travesty - I like Steve quite a lot.
post #122 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There isn't any clear evidence that MMS is significantly effecting iPhone sales. Or any clear evidence that any phone sells better because of MMS.

Maybe not, but if it had it iPhone would catupult even further out of everyone's reach.
Put out a Verizon CDMA MMS and then iPhone = world dominance.
But alas AT&T has the Apple by its seeds.
post #123 of 181
The iPhone SDK wasn't ready six months earlier, it was ready until it was ready. Apple had to get the iPhone up and going before they could deal with the development kit.

You are right web apps did not take off the way the way native apps has. But in the first six months of the iPhone web based services reported that iPhone use on their sites skyrocketed in a short amount of time.

There are actually some interesting web apps on Apple's web app page that are not available on the App Store. Unfortunately Apple doesn't have web apps organized in a easy to navigate fashion. They should offer an app store for web apps the same as native apps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

But for at least six months in the beginning Apple tried their best to get the majority of the dev community to embrace things as they were and for the most part they didn't. Am I wrong?
Apple could of had an additional six month lead with their app store if they started with native apps in the first place.
post #124 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In fact there is a big advantage in a developer making web apps. They only have to make one app and it works with any phone that can render full HTML, instead of having to develop and support multiple native apps on multiple mobile platforms

Totally agreed. And speaking from personal experience, it is very easy to take that web app and wrap it in a webView "shell" and there you go - you have a normal iPhone app. Apple made it really easy to do this, even going so far as to include ways for web content to interact with other iPhone applications and get / make use of core services. It really is lovely - I think it is very smart.
post #125 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

But for at least six months in the beginning Apple tried their best to get the majority of the dev community to embrace things as they were and for the most part they didn't. Am I wrong?
Apple could of had an additional six month lead with their app store if they started with native apps in the first place.

From various Apple sources including Steve Jobs statements, Apple just couldn't solve the security (i.e., sandboxing) problem and deliver the SDK at iPhone launch. Remember Leopard was delayed just to complete an iPhone OS version for the original iPhone. And aspects of Leopard were used in iPhone 2.0 and the SDK.

The whole web app direction was a backup plan, but Apple wasn't going to give any competitor a fuller view of what they were really doing with the SDK until they were ready to provide the SDK to developers. As a stockholder, I approve of such deception.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #126 of 181
All I know is they better include MMS. And maybe video recording.
post #127 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

From various Apple sources including Steve Jobs statements, Apple just couldn't solve the security (i.e., sandboxing) problem and deliver the SDK at iPhone launch. Remember Leopard was delayed just to complete an iPhone OS version for the original iPhone. And aspects of Leopard were used in iPhone 2.0 and the SDK.

The whole web app direction was a backup plan, but Apple wasn't going to give any competitor a fuller view of what they were really doing with the SDK until they were ready to provide the SDK to developers. As a stockholder, I approve of such deception.

Fascinating. In that case I guess things have worked out. But that is history. The competition has caught up. And Mar 17th should reveal how far ahead Apple has put themselves again.......or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodymatzohball View Post

All I know is they better include MMS. And maybe video recording.

And copy and paste. It should be amusing to watch the reactions is copy and paste is NOT in the new SDK.
I'll have my feet kicked back and munching on popcorn as I watch the rioting in the street on tv.
post #128 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Please. Well, ok sure.
I guess they are still being made even now out of necessity. And the majority of the pre-existing one must have been thrown into the app store after its debut.
But really.....how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?

I'd be willing to bet that more than half are web apps.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #129 of 181
Copy and paste is the main thing missing. I don't often need to use it but if you've ever had to try and memorise two different full addresses and postcodes from an email message or web site so you could type them into Google maps to plot a route between them you'll see how pathetic the omission is. I managed to remember one, switched to Maps, typed it in, went back to mail to get the other one, went back... and of course the first one had been deleted. Tried again... back to email, memorise the first one. Get the second one, remember that too. Back to mail, typed them both in... got one of the postcodes wrong. Back to mail, try again. Took quite a few goes and nearly five minutes to do something which ought to be trivial. Utterly pathetic.

As for MMS. Well, I live in Europe, and my last two phones had it. I think I sent one once.
post #130 of 181
Me, I'd like to see this built right into an iPhone Xcode project so I don't have to add it in each app ...

Code:

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle mainBundle];
NSDictionary *info = [bundle infoDictionary];
if ([info objectForKey: @"SignerIdentity"] != nil) // therefore a cracked IPA
{
/* do something */
}
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
Reply
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
Reply
post #131 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

How is it baffling?

The iPhone has no document editing (other than short sticky notes) and no file system. You might argue that you'd *like* to have document editing or that you'd *like* to have copy and paste, but the absence of even a basic file system completely explains the absence of the copy and paste.

That little LED clock in your pen in 1982 is a "computer" but did it need copy and paste?
Your car has several computers in it, does it need copy and paste?

People need to get past the simplistic idea that all computers are just hardware that runs software, that any software they like should be load-able on any "computer" they see and that all "computers" are the same.

The very word "computer" hardly has any meaning anymore as it's become too generic. Saying every computer needs copy and paste is like saying every bread needs raisins. If I order a felafel and it has raisins in the wrap, I would not consider it a successful felafel.

Wow.


This is perhaps one of the stupidest, most logic-defying, and most assinine posts I've ever read. In how many ways did you have to twist your brain to come up with that logic, just to justify Apple's decisions?

You're comparing the usefulness of C&P on the iPhone to that of a a LED clock (from 1982, no less)?
Or to that of a car? Really? Funny, I've never had the urge to use C&P on my clocks. Nor in my car. Nor have, I surmise, anyone else on this planet, making your analogy completely and utterly inept. I won't humor you with the obvious and fundamental differences between an iPhone, a LEd clock, and a car (ZOMG, THEYRE ALL COMPUTERS11!!)

On the other hand, I've had literally hundreds of situation since I got my iPhone where C&P would have saved me grief, time, and inconvenience, or would have otherwise allowed me to accomplish a simple task on the phone that may have been near impossible without it. As is the case- I presume- with many, many others, which is why this is such a requested feature. Maybe you've never needed to transfer information between email/txt messages/google maps/notes/safari but millions of others have (crazy concept, eh?).

But hey, back to those LED clocks... I swear, some of you are unbelievable. I've been reading this site and browsing these boards for a long time, and as you can see from my post count, this drivel is what broke the camel's back and got me to register and respond. Unlike you, I'm sure others here and Apple realizes that people pay to use their products, and not the other way around.

As to my most wanted additions..the following list sums it up much better than I could:
http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/
post #132 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Copy and paste is the main thing missing. I don't often need to use it but if you've ever had to try and memorise two different full addresses and postcodes from an email message or web site so you could type them into Google maps to plot a route between them you'll see how pathetic the omission is. I managed to remember one, switched to Maps, typed it in, went back to mail to get the other one, went back... and of course the first one had been deleted. Tried again... back to email, memorise the first one. Get the second one, remember that too. Back to mail, typed them both in... got one of the postcodes wrong. Back to mail, try again.

Same here. I think we've all tried to create workarounds for this omission.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #133 of 181
Seriosuly, all i want is better sms texting features. I want copy and paste and the ability to forward a text msg (like a joke, or a party invitation).
post #134 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Me, I'd like to see this built right into an iPhone Xcode project so I don't have to add it in each app ...

Code:

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle mainBundle];
NSDictionary *info = [bundle infoDictionary];
if ([info objectForKey: @"SignerIdentity"] != nil) // therefore a cracked IPA
{
/* do something */
}

can you explain how that is effective.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #135 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Because integrated and tested software doesn't just magically appear out of thin air?

We're not asking for "integrated and tested software" since January or December, it's been years already.

Do you think the iPhone (3G) is perfect? Would it be a better product with all the things people are asking for or not? Maybe I should ask you what would you recommend to make it a better product? Just remember you can't say Flash, Copy & Paste (which I didn't), Bluetooth transfer, etc. Please, illuminate me.
post #136 of 181
Let's not be so close minded. It's sad how many people think just because they don't need <insert feature here> personally and because iPhone doesn't have <insert feature here>, no one else should have <insert feature here> either.

People use iPhone differently. If you have friends or family that sends MMS regularly, frequently finding yourself memorizing text from Mail, Safari, etc. only to enter it on some other app, or frequently talk to people while driving (and therefore would benefit from voice dial), then it's perfectly natural to be passionate about wanting such features. And let's face it. Just about every other phones (MMS, voice dial) and smartphones (copy and paste) on the planet have these features.

As for me, features like copy and paste, MMS, voice dial won't get much mileage either. I have my own wish list, such as better launcher, iChat (ideally integrated into Text), ability to remove (or at least hide) built-in apps (e.g., Calculator, Stocks, Weather), and Spotlight search.
post #137 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

can you explain how that is effective.

It basically checks for the modification that the cracks use. If this modification has been used a developer can force the app to quit. Basically makes any cracked app useless.
post #138 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Too many people think that copy and paste is a trivial matter. It may seem like a simple task when you look at a stylus based device. I'm sure cut and paste is high on Steve's list, but he wants to deliver a product that people can use without studying how to do it. Apple is all about user interface, they always have been. When they come out with cut and paste rest assured that it will be a wonderful implementation, not a slipshod attempt. I have yet to hear a good way to implement cut and paste on the iPhone. Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.

On the Newton you held the stylus to the screen and it would make a noise indicating you were in cut and paste mode. Then you just highlighted the text with the stylus. The clipped text would then appear off to the side of the screen available to be pasted in any app that excepted text input. Why not just do the same thing on the iPhone? Seems dead simple to me. Tap and hold with your finger already brings up the magnifying editor on the iPhone so how about a double tap and hold to cut and paste? For the iPhone you could clean that up a bit by using a translucent icon to indicate clipped text which would appear off to the side of the screen or in the icon bar below. You could tap the clipped text icon which would bring up menu choices as to what to do with it. This isn't rocket science.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #139 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Did you guys really think Apple has been sitting back doing nothing all this time

Yes. Do you like Pina Colada?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #140 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Right on schedule: 2.0 was previewed March 6 last year.

Special Event on St. Patrick's Day ? Nobody at Murphy Mac will be sober enough to absorb the news until Friday.

Ha!...
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #141 of 181
I think its fine is someone wants some particular feature on the iPhone. Or someone who says they will not buy the iPhone until it has some particular feature.

The problem I have is with people who buy the iPhone and then complain that it does not have a feature that it has never had and Apple has never promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Let's not be so close minded. It's sad how many people think just because they don't need <insert feature here> personally and because iPhone doesn't have <insert feature here>, no one else should have <insert feature here> either.
post #142 of 181
As far as cut and paste goes all I would like to be able to do is take the URL of the page I've got open over there ---->

...and paste it here ----->

...or into an email or SMS.

That URL might be an article that adds interest and further information to a post and acts as a reference.

You could post links to screenshots and photo's uploaded to web sharing sites.

Most of the time posting links is the only reason I find that I have to fire up my PC.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #143 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Me, I'd like to see this built right into an iPhone Xcode project so I don't have to add it in each app ...

Code:

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle mainBundle];
NSDictionary *info = [bundle infoDictionary];
if ([info objectForKey: @"SignerIdentity"] != nil) // therefore a cracked IPA
{
/* do something */
}

I'm not a programmer, but does this integrate some kind of core level dictionary function? What is this "cracked IPA"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #144 of 181
I know it is a dream but I would love to see a surprise appearance from Steve Jobs. Then a new updated iPhone.
post #145 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm not a programmer, but does this integrate some kind of core level dictionary function? What is this "cracked IPA"?

It's the file extention for iPhone applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

I know it is a dream but I would love to see a surprise appearance from Steve Jobs. Then a new updated iPhone.

Jobs is more likely to appear than a new iPhone. At the most you can expect a flash bump, but I think that is also unlikely.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #146 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes. Do you like Pina Colada?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #147 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

... This is perhaps one of the stupidest, most logic-defying, and most assinine posts I've ever read. In how many ways did you have to twist your brain to come up with that logic, just to justify Apple's decisions?

You're comparing the usefulness of C&P on the iPhone to that of a a LED clock (from 1982, no less)?
Or to that of a car? Really? Funny, I've never had the urge to use C&P on my clocks. Nor in my car. Nor have, I surmise, anyone else on this planet, making your analogy completely and utterly inept. I won't humor you with the obvious and fundamental differences between an iPhone, a LEd clock, and a car (ZOMG, THEYRE ALL COMPUTERS11!!)

On the other hand, I've had literally hundreds of situation since I got my iPhone where C&P would have saved me grief, time, and inconvenience, or would have otherwise allowed me to accomplish a simple task on the phone that may have been near impossible without it. As is the case- I presume- with many, many others, which is why this is such a requested feature. Maybe you've never needed to transfer information between email/txt messages/google maps/notes/safari but millions of others have (crazy concept, eh?).

But hey, back to those LED clocks... I swear, some of you are unbelievable. I've been reading this site and browsing these boards for a long time, and as you can see from my post count, this drivel is what broke the camel's back and got me to register and respond. Unlike you, I'm sure others here and Apple realizes that people pay to use their products, and not the other way around. ...

Dude, no offence but I have no idea what you are going on about.

The guy was arguing that the iPhone should have copy and paste, because it was a "computer" and that all "computers" *should* have copy and paste.

I was pointing out that his assumptions about what a "computer" is, and whether all "computers" were the same in that they required copy and paste was faulty.

That doesn't mean I am equating a pen clock or a car with a laptop or a mobile, it means just the opposite. I am saying that the analogy he was using was faulty because those things are all *not* equal.

Just because an iPhone, (or a clock or anything) is under some definition technically a "computer," it does not necessarily follow that it *should* have copy and paste. Whether something needs copy and paste is determined by it's intended function. Does it have a file system? Is it something I use to edit documents? Those are the criteria.

The very basis of his argument was wrong. He was "baffled" about the absence of copy and paste on a device that has no file system and is not used to edit documents. I merely questioned his "bafflement." Seems logical to me.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #148 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

I know it is a dream but I would love to see a surprise appearance from Steve Jobs. Then a new updated iPhone.

And when Steve is done showing us the new iphone, on mar 17th no less, he can then do a "BOOM" one more thing and debut the Apple branded jet pack!
Which he would then use to make a dramatic exit after the show.
post #149 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Seriously - I pray for copy/paste ONLY because it will make everyone shutup about not having it. I've had the iPhone since day 1 almost two years ago and found myself wanting copy/paste MAYBE two or three times.

Couldn't agree anymore. Most overrated and underused feature.
post #150 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyo9 View Post

We're not asking for "integrated and tested software" since January or December, it's been years already.

Do you think the iPhone (3G) is perfect? Would it be a better product with all the things people are asking for or not? Maybe I should ask you what would you recommend to make it a better product? Just remember you can't say Flash, Copy & Paste (which I didn't), Bluetooth transfer, etc. Please, illuminate me.

You asked, "Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?" I thought I could get away with a simple answer but you didn't get it.

Okay, so Perspective. It's all about perspective.

First, do you know how software is developed? Do you understand how a company might develop capabilities iaw its strategic plans, and how software may be slotted to arrive when the hardware capable of running that software in a pleasing way actually arrives?

So, duh, of course, Apple is not intentionally out to limit the iPhone - Apple wants it to do all the things Apple wants it to do. But it takes people and time (and money) to make those things happen; they don't just happen because someone thinks it. Apple has finite numbers of people who have limited amounts of time that must be spread over many many possible choices.

iPhone was released in June 2007. It's been 18 months between that release and the last iPhone feature-update (2.2). The first few months after iPhone 1.0 were focused on bug fixes, and a few small features for 1.1 followed by more bug fixes. (Hey, for perspective, remember that Ed Colligan (Palm CEO) said the PC makers couldn't just walk in -- he meant it would take some time to iron out all the cellular issues, among other things. But little did he know!) Concurrently, that first year was also focused on all the things that were included in iPhone 2.0, including the ability to run native apps, activesync, and the integration of GPS and 3G. Then more bug fixes and a few minor features in 2.1 and 2.2.

Now concurrent with 2.1 and 2.2, at least since some point between March and July 2008 (and likely even before), Apple has been designing, developing, integrating, and testing software for 3.0, and you and I have no idea what is in it.

So why might some things be in 3.0 instead of 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2? Because it may have taken coordination. Since iPhone OS X shares its underpinnings with Mac OS X, there had to be coordination with Leopard and Snow Leopard. (See push notification possibly delayed to align with Snow Leopard Server.) Same for Safari. And for iTunes. Or it was very complex (like cut and paste); has anyone ever done this for multi-touch? Or it's waiting for hardware (like Flash). Or it's waiting for a strategic introduction where it's linked with other parts of Apple's Mac/iPod/AppleTV/iTunes ecosystem (possibly like navigation or video).

But is Apple intentionally limiting iPhone. Of course not. There's a time and place for each capability, and Apple has a plan.

By the way, how many feature-additive (not security or bug fix) releases of Win Mobile, or Symbian, or Blackberry OS, or WebOS, or Palm OS, or Mac OS, or Windows OS has there been for each in the last 18 months? Anyone put out 2 upgrades yet?

Perspective. It's all about perspective.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #151 of 181
All I want is multitasking so that I can check email or use Safari while also running Tuner and MORE PRIVACY features.

If my phone is locked, no one should be able to tell who my incoming sms messages are from by simply pressing a button. It's convenience for some users, but a huge annoyance for me. That should be a simple slider switch.

Oh...and for the love of whatever God you may or may not believe in: CUT AND PASTE!

Thank you, that is all. ;-)
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
post #152 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You asked, "Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?" I thought I could get away with a simple answer but you didn't get it.

Okay, so Perspective. It's all about perspective.

First, do you know how software is developed? Do you understand how a company might develop capabilities iaw its strategic plans, and how software may be slotted to arrive when the hardware capable of running that software in a pleasing way actually arrives?

So, duh, of course, Apple is not intentionally out to limit the iPhone - Apple wants it to do all the things Apple wants it to do. But it takes people and time (and money) to make those things happen; they don't just happen because someone thinks it. Apple has finite numbers of people who have limited amounts of time that must be spread over many many possible choices.

iPhone was released in June 2007. It's been 18 months between that release and the last iPhone feature-update (2.2). The first few months after iPhone 1.0 were focused on bug fixes, and a few small features for 1.1 followed by more bug fixes. (Hey, for perspective, remember that Ed Colligan (Palm CEO) said the PC makers couldn't just walk in -- he meant it would take some time to iron out all the cellular issues, among other things. But little did he know!) Concurrently, that first year was also focused on all the things that were included in iPhone 2.0, including the ability to run native apps, activesync, and the integration of GPS and 3G. Then more bug fixes and a few minor features in 2.1 and 2.2.

Now concurrent with 2.1 and 2.2, at least since some point between March and July 2008 (and likely even before), Apple has been designing, developing, integrating, and testing software for 3.0, and you and I have no idea what is in it.

So why might some things be in 3.0 instead of 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2? Because it may have taken coordination. Since iPhone OS X shares its underpinnings with Mac OS X, there had to be coordination with Leopard and Snow Leopard. (See push notification possibly delayed to align with Snow Leopard Server.) Same for Safari. And for iTunes. Or it was very complex (like cut and paste); has anyone ever done this for multi-touch? Or it's waiting for hardware (like Flash). Or it's waiting for a strategic introduction where it's linked with other parts of Apple's Mac/iPod/AppleTV/iTunes ecosystem (possibly like navigation or video).

But is Apple intentionally limiting iPhone. Of course not. There's a time and place for each capability, and Apple has a plan.

By the way, how many feature-additive (not security or bug fix) releases of Win Mobile, or Symbian, or Blackberry OS, or WebOS, or Palm OS, or Mac OS, or Windows OS has there been for each in the last 18 months? Anyone put out 2 upgrades yet?

Perspective. It's all about perspective.

...and brevity. ;-)
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
post #153 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Please. Well, ok sure.
I guess they are still being made even now out of necessity. And the majority of the pre-existing one must have been thrown into the app store after its debut.
But really.....how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?


a lot of the free ones might be webapps, or do open a webview with some ads to click on at some point, for the revenue.
post #154 of 181
The iPhone is already capable of cut and paste, if you quickly tap a link on a webpage in Safari it will sometimes open a blank page, if you close the page and go back to the previous page then hold the link for a short while you may notice a grey box with the link text in it, Safari opens the new page with the link in the URL bar and the page loads.

Here is an example:-

To all you iPhone camera critics at <insert forum here> I've found the camera is not too bad, here are some shots I took on New Years Eve, as you can see the camera details are recorded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hill60/

PS I had to fire up my PC to paste this link, another piece of coal went on to local power station, a baby penguin will die, well maybe not a penguin but some other cute critter not associated with an operating system...

...are you happy now Steve?

Not so green now, are we!!!
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #155 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyo9 View Post

Isn't it annoying, at least sometimes, to answer with the sliding button? This phone is a marvel but some things should be more flexible. Also:
- Horizontal keyboard
- Global search
- Bluetooth file transfer
- Flash

Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?

1 Thing, and I'll quit thinking about the Pre......


Spotlight / Global Search!!!!!
post #156 of 181
Gee! And just when Palm thought it would just walk in a steal all the iPhone users away from Apple. I guess they'll just have to rethink some of their plans of smartphone domination.
post #157 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionFox View Post

I'm hoping that Apple has been listening to complaints and looking at their customers outside the US and is going to throw MMS in with all of these.

It's been said many times before, the fact that the cheapest and oldest phone I could go out and buy now can do it but the iphone can't is just ridiculous.

Sure, people can reply and say it's a useless technology and that a lot of people don't use it (though just about everybody I know here in the UK does), but I'm the one still considering whether or not I want to get an iphone after 2 years and I'd like MMS quite a lot \

And improve the SMS app please!!! Texting is big in the Philippines (we don't have rip-off fees like in the US) and we need message forwarding, forwarding to multiple contacts, individual deletion of sms messages, landscape kboard etc...

The basics first, please...
post #158 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikestrike View Post

And improve the SMS app please!!! Texting is big in the Philippines (we don't have rip-off fees like in the US) and we need message forwarding, forwarding to multiple contacts, individual deletion of sms messages, landscape kboard etc...

The basics first, please...

I like this. If email becomes more popular on cellphones, no just smartphones, then carriers in the US and elsewhere will probably start offering SMS at lower and eventually free to attract business.

"The local telecoms sector was abuzz earlier this month when the Philippine government proposed to make SMS a free service amid soaring gas and food prices.

Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) Secretary Leandro Mendoza was quoted in local papers saying that mobile phone carriers have no business charging customers for text messages when their revenues should be generated by offering voice calls."

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...2042804,00.htm
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #159 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

New theory by someone over at 9to5 mac....

Someone thinks that the new iphone 3.0 SDK will allow apps to be resolution independent. And that in turn would suggest that more devices with different dimensions than the regular iphone are soon to follow.

Oooohhhh........Aahhhhhhhhh!!

I think resolution independence will have to come in order to offer sharper displays without making things tiny or breaking apps. Given that the iPhone is a very limited environment compared to a regular OS, I think it's probably a lot easier to support and manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like this. If email becomes more popular on cellphones, no just smartphones, then carriers in the US and elsewhere will probably start offering SMS at lower and eventually free to attract business.

"The local telecoms sector was abuzz earlier this month when the Philippine government proposed to make SMS a free service amid soaring gas and food prices.

Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) Secretary Leandro Mendoza was quoted in local papers saying that mobile phone carriers have no business charging customers for text messages when their revenues should be generated by offering voice calls."

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...2042804,00.htm

Expecting free texts is a bit much because of the way it is transmitted and handled within the network, and how it often is used to replace voice use, though the current prices I have to pay are way too high for me to use it any more often than sparingly.
post #160 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

dragging one app at a time to put all my games on the last page is tedious. And once they are setup going through the pages can be rough

I want simulated iPhone application pages in iTunes so I can arrange my icons on my computer where I have a much larger screen and trackpad/mouse and then have my arrangement sync over!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event