or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event - Page 3

post #81 of 181
123 delete me
post #82 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

No no no Tenobell don't you understand?

The correct procedure for Apple products is to immediately fall in love with them and immediately go ahead with a purchase.
After you use the product you then find stuff you don't like about it and complain.

Didn't you get the memo?




And the follow-up memo:

"If you dislike Apple (or Steve Jobs or any Apple product) or have never purchased any of its products or services, please take the time to vent in every forum as you would not with every other product/service that you equally dislike or have never purchased."


PS: As a shareholder, gotta love how Apple is pulling the rug from under the feet of its cell-phone competition once again. Reminds me of how competitors to the iPod were often left eating dust......
post #83 of 181
Right on schedule: 2.0 was previewed March 6 last year.

Special Event on St. Patrick's Day ? Nobody at Murphy Mac will be sober enough to absorb the news until Friday.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #84 of 181
There isn't any clear evidence that MMS is significantly effecting iPhone sales. Or any clear evidence that any phone sells better because of MMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Look, it's really very simple: Apple needs to fix this because it will assist them in selling their devices. That's not a hard concept, is it?.
post #85 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?

When you build a web app and then wrap and integrate it using the developer SDK, it is virtually indistinguishable from any other application. It is very very easy to do so, I might add. I think Apple did a fantabulous job with their SDK and the way the integrated web so well into it. they deserve a lot of praise for it - it is remarkable.
post #86 of 181
Isn't it annoying, at least sometimes, to answer with the sliding button? This phone is a marvel but some things should be more flexible. Also:
- Horizontal keyboard
- Global search
- Bluetooth file transfer
- Flash

Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?
post #87 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There isn't any clear evidence that MMS is significantly effecting iPhone sales. Or any clear evidence that any phone sells better because of MMS.

Anecdotally I know of a handful of friends who haven't purchased iPhones citing some of these obvious misses as factors.

Again, why ignore something so trivial (from a technology perspective) if it might serve to enhance sales?
post #88 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

But really.....how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?

Good question. I'd like to know too. The ones I use more and more often (e.g., bloomberg, twc, wikipanion) do not seem to be.
post #89 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.

Contrary to belief here most users don't go out buying phones looking for copy and paste function. I've shown my iPhone to many people and it's too advanced for them, they don't expect copy and paste from phones like many here believe. The only big omissions Apple left to me would be video recording and MMS, these are things the majority of people expect from phones now. Everything else is extra.
post #90 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. ...

How is it baffling?

The iPhone has no document editing (other than short sticky notes) and no file system. You might argue that you'd *like* to have document editing or that you'd *like* to have copy and paste, but the absence of even a basic file system completely explains the absence of the copy and paste.

That little LED clock in your pen in 1982 is a "computer" but did it need copy and paste?
Your car has several computers in it, does it need copy and paste?

People need to get past the simplistic idea that all computers are just hardware that runs software, that any software they like should be load-able on any "computer" they see and that all "computers" are the same.

The very word "computer" hardly has any meaning anymore as it's become too generic. Saying every computer needs copy and paste is like saying every bread needs raisins. If I order a felafel and it has raisins in the wrap, I would not consider it a successful felafel.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #91 of 181
Here is the 2.0 press release from March 2008. The 3G iPhone hadn't been announced - so there's no mention of GPS.

So we'll know more on Tuesday than we know now, but probably not everything.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #92 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Again, why ignore something so trivial (from a technology perspective) if it might serve to enhance sales?

Why not. It adds to the elan of the product to leave a handful of people constantly whining about stuff like that in forums like this...... the susbtitution in sales enhancement comes from all the free attention the product gets that way!
post #93 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Full native multitasking. Web apps never really took off for the iphone. Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.

just like to point out that everything you are saying here is basically just made up. Try to stick to the facts and drop the hyperbole.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #94 of 181
Adobe has said to be working on a flash for mobile devices. Adobe has reported it to be a difficult task. I doubt Apple is too worried about it. Apple, Google, Palm and others are progressing on with open source web technology that can replace many of flash functions.

I believe there are IM clients in the app store that use SMS and landscape keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenasmgame View Post

I read somewhere before that Adobe was working with Apple to bring Flash to the phone, that would be extremely helpful to browse the "real" internet. Another function that would be nice: landscape SMS. If I can use the landscape keyboard in the browser, it is frustrating to know I can't on SMS.
post #95 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

May I just say that this is a silly attitude? Here is a blunt point: Apple has no right, and would be unwise in doing so... to expect the majority of its consumers to be rabid fan-boys willing to overlook obvious problems because they are so enamored with Steve Jobs' brilliance. That's a point Steve himself seems to get, so it is amazing to me that fans such as yourself do not.

What you are really saying is this: Apple did the right thing when it left out basic features, then ignored consumer sentiment... for those same features. When you say 'the device isn't for everyone', what you are actually saying is this: "Apple ignored an easily addressed market segment, and thereby lost sales." And all over some software issues that don't even represent difficult technical challenges.

Doesn't seem quite so clever now, eh?

I know who's being silly and it isn't the Bergermeister.

His post was reasonable and accurate, whereas yours mischaracterises what he said, puts words in his mouth and generally is pretty high-school kind of analysis IMO.

Apple makes consumer products, they don't "ignore consumer sentiment" at all, you are just wrong about that. They make choices about what to include or leave out of a product based on consumer feedback but also on a variety of other issues as well. That's just the way design is done.

You are the one who is just assuming that because they left out your favourite feature, that it was somehow done on purpose and in defiance of what the consumer really wants. I'd like to see you come up with any evidence to prove that assertion. The mere absence of the feature does not prove your interpretation of why it is absent you know.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #96 of 181
You can find people who find all types of fault with the iPhone and why they won't purchase one. I seriously doubt MMS in of itself is costing Apple any significant number of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Anecdotally I know of a handful of friends who haven't purchased iPhones citing some of these obvious misses as factors.

Again, why ignore something so trivial (from a technology perspective) if it might serve to enhance sales?
post #97 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

just like to point out that everything you are saying here is basically just made up. Try to stick to the facts and drop the hyperbole.

Really. You saw the iphone's grand debut in 2007. You tell me what was the reaction of the crowd when Steve Jobs tried to push web apps. The crickets were so loud peoples' ear drums were starting to bleed.

Oh, and hyperbole is fun. Go read Barron's or hang out with Rupert Murdock or something if you don't like spirited commentary.
post #98 of 181
Global Search
Copy / Paste
Unified inbox
MMS
Voice Dialing
Power Management Switch (BT/Wifi/GPS/Puse)
post #99 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Yep,

I would like

- iPod DJ

REMOTE App has DJ - with "request a song" and Voting

It's quite good actually
post #100 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.

And have you implemented a system-wide clipboard on a multi-touch mobile device? Has ANYONE else done this yet? Nope. It's not as "easy" as everyone seems to think. It has to be implemented in way that doesn't interfere with any current gestures and it needs to work the same way everywhere, in all applications, whether you're trying to select text in Safari or in an input field.

There are also security issues to overcome with having a cross-application pool of data, especially when those applications are sandboxed.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #101 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

3.0 is quite a big jump in terms of number as oppose to .something so does that mean this will come with a new iphone with new hw as well?

I imagine 3.0 will be released at the WWDC in June along with a next generation iPhone. This preview of 3.0 gives developers a chance to have apps ready by the time that happens. Free upgrade for iPhone users, paid upgrade for iPod touch users.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #102 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

video calling

So you can not see the person you are talking to or they cannot see you or both? (since the camera is on the oppostite side of the phone from the screen)
post #103 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

And have you implemented a system-wide clipboard on a multi-touch mobile device? Has ANYONE else done this yet? Nope.

Yes. Apple did it with the Newton.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #104 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Yes. Apple did it with the Newton.

The Newton wasn't "multi-touch"

Up to this point in time, all touch based devices have implemented the point and click paradigm from the desktop. The iPhone is the first platform to move away from that.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #105 of 181
People were mostly disappointed because they wanted native app development. There isn't a problem with web apps in of themselves. The biggest problem with web app development for the iPhone is that it has no localization. Once that is solved many of the native apps would work fine as web apps.

In fact there is a big advantage in a developer making web apps. They only have to make one app and it works with any phone that can render full HTML, instead of having to develop and support multiple native apps on multiple mobile platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Really. You saw the iphone's grand debut in 2007. You tell me what was the reaction of the crowd when Steve Jobs tried to push web apps. The crickets were so loud peoples' ear drums were starting bleeding.
post #106 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Really. You saw the iphone's grand debut in 2007. You tell me what was the reaction of the crowd when Steve Jobs tried to push web apps. The crickets were so loud peoples' ear drums were starting bleeding.

Oh, and hyperbole is fun. Go read Barron's or hang out with Rupert Murdock or something if you don't like spirited commentary.

Okay to get specific you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Web apps never really took off for the iphone.

This is quite the exaggeration given that they never had much of a chance. The native apps and the SDK were announced before more than a half dozen web apps had even made it out the door. After the SDK was available people switched to that for the most part and native apps are more "popular" as a solution, but there is nothing wrong with web apps either. many native apps in the app store today would be better if they were turned back into web apps. They would actually function better.

Your statement implied that there was a period of web app development but that they weren't well received or had some problem and thus ultimately failed. That's an exaggeration, and almost a complete mischaracterisation of what actually happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.

This is so high-school it makes me want to puke.

Again, you imply here that web apps were "bad" or didn't work, or poorly received, when in fact there were hardly any made, and those that were made were exceedingly well received in general.

I think know what you were *trying* to say, but if you just throw around a lot of short, inaccurate hyperbolic statements intended to make you look tough more than they are intended to inform anyone of anything, you should expect a little criticism, and probably a lot of confusion in return.

Words actually, you know ... mean stuff.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #107 of 181
Too many people think that copy and paste is a trivial matter. It may seem like a simple task when you look at a stylus based device. I'm sure cut and paste is high on Steve's list, but he wants to deliver a product that people can use without studying how to do it. Apple is all about user interface, they always have been. When they come out with cut and paste rest assured that it will be a wonderful implementation, not a slipshod attempt. I have yet to hear a good way to implement cut and paste on the iPhone. Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.
post #108 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I imagine 3.0 will be released at the WWDC in June along with a next generation iPhone. This preview of 3.0 gives developers a chance to have apps ready by the time that happens. Free upgrade for iPhone users, paid upgrade for iPod touch users.

Since the 3G iPhone is only a year old and uses the same operating HW as the original iPhone I suspect that if this update is available for the 3G iPhone thy it will also be available for the original iPhone, but for a fee did to the 2 year accounting model. Though not everyone bought their original iPhone immediately so I don't know they will handle that. Hopefully it will be free, but their is always the possibiltu that the new SL-based OS will require the new ARM paired with Nvidia's Tegra (worst case scenerio).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #109 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Completely agreed. Although MMS may seem irrelevant, it is a huge issue that many consumers miss, myself included. Some people even forego an iPhone BECAUSE it is missing basic features like this.

I suppose in Apple's perfect universe, everyone would have an iPhone, or at least a device that handles photos in a compatible way. But they don't, and that is why MMS is so important: other people's phones use MMS and DO NOT have fancy email. So, if we are to be able to communicate with each other and share photos, we need to be able to speak a common language, and right now the iPhone is doing the equivalent of speaking some bizarre dialect of French in an English speaking world. In the Apple view, it is just obviosuly sooooo supperior, everyone should switch. But that attitude doesn't address or solve the actual problem.

Here is how it plays out for me all the time: friend or family member X wants to send me a picture of their cute kid / vacation / dog / cat / whatever. They snap it on their phone and send it to my phone number. Guess what? On 99% plus of the phones out there, that message goes out as MMS. For me that means this: I will not get to see it through my photo application, save it in my photo roll, etc. Instead, I will get some funky notification from AT&T telling me to go to their web site to look at a tiny, scaled down version of the picture that I can't see in a better resolution and that I can't save. Frankly speaking, I am tired of getting these text messages to go see a picture that someone sent me mobil to mobil; i'd rather just get the picture. This isn't a hard technology problem - there is some weird resistance at Apple, I think.

By the way, guess what other conspicuous feature absence becomes blatantly apparent when you get these MMS texts from AT&T? You guessed it: the password and ID they send for their picture forwarding site are long strings of random characters - very hard to remember. Sure would be nice to be able to, oh, say... copy and paste.

Your second post and all you can do is bullshit.

You want people to respect your opinion, then change the attitude and get your facts straight.

As for copy/paste, your knowledge of what this entails is zilch. If you think that this is easy then build it.

If you think that Apple doesn't keep track of who and what is posted here and other sites, you are more ignorant than imagined. Would you go home and immediately chastise your mother because she didn't make your favorite desert even before you sit down to dinner?

If that is the way you treat everybody, it is no wonder you aren't invited back.
post #110 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'm 99% sure that the push technology in this is licensed from Microsoft. Apple already licenses ActiveSync from MS for the MS Exchange integration. Last month Google licensed it as well for their app store and a lot of other uses other than email. I bet Apple did the same.

Nope.

Otherwise you would think MS would have push in their mobile OS by now. As you say, Apple and google license ActiveSync for push support with Exchange servers.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #111 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Too many people think that copy and paste is a trivial matter. It may seem like a simple task when you look at a stylus based device. I'm sure cut and paste is high on Steve's list, but he wants to deliver a product that people can use without studying how to do it. Apple is all about user interface, they always have been. When they come out with cut and paste rest assured that it will be a wonderful implementation, not a slipshod attempt. I have yet to hear a good way to implement cut and paste on the iPhone. Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.

To use the words of another poster, anytime I see people asking for Copy/Paste... I wanna barf.

This has to be the dumbest thing in the world to go on and on and on.
It ranks right up there with teh Flash talk, which is just as bad.

Copy and Paste would be easy to implement. As long as we're talking about the TEXT clipboard format only. (which many people think is the only thing copy/paste features support)
The clipboard functions for TEXT objects is so easy to implement, an outsider did it without Apple's approval using undocumented actions.

The reality is, Steve Jobs does NOT think it's important. If he did, it would've been done at the TEXT object level a while ago. I agree with Apple on this one, it's not important. People just don't do that much pure text creation in several apps on the iPhone and have to repeatdly type the same stuff. The four people on Appleinsider that keep talking about it can buy a Pre. The reality is, to be useful, you'd need an object model underneath the SDK that would allow you to share an object across the clipboard object between two cooperating applications. This is so far off the mark on so many levels, if you don't understand why you need to get over it and move on. Clipboarding objects between two applications on a device with only one application running is silly.
Let's get over it and move on.
The Clipboard is a Bill Gates thing, the idea that Steve Jobs has ANY priority on this is way off the mark.

Move on, but don't move on to the Flash discussion either.
These two things are non-iPhone items, buy a Pre and go away or get over it.
Either way, I'm fine.


Oh and..... this really made me laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.

If you're going to take the time to put images on the keyboard.... just put copy and paste images.
post #112 of 181
@ ttupper.

Welcome to AI!

The video linked below is from the creator of MagicPad, the first App Store app that that included copy/paste. The creator does an excellent job of detailing the issues that Apple will have to overcome and the most logical way in which Apple would probably achieve copy/paste with a finger controlled touch screen. Issues, that he points out, he did not have to contend with.
http://magicpad.proximi.com/video.php (11m:48s)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #113 of 181
Apple needs new hardware!


Still to date the iPhone has light leaks (google it - iPhone 3G light leaks)
It still has dust under the LCD! Why is their dust under the LCD? Beats me!


Apple should make a phone without a gasket holding the LCD... This will solve their problems!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #114 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.

it's really not that baffling. remember imac back in 1999. they didn't include a floppy disk drive on a consumer pc. that was baffling for some too but apple has a tendency to not only steer its users but also steer the entire market. copy/paste and mms are features you think you want because other smartphone makers have them but apple isn't interested in pleasing its customers as much as they're interested converting their thinking to something different. that's why there's no real twerty keypad. how come you don't complain about that?

i'll take a copy/paste too but i won't use it. if we go another 6-12 months without copy/paste, i guarantee you won't see the need for it either. remember, sometimes innovation is created by stripping away features and simplifying the experience. sorry if i sound pretentious but i'm channeling apple here...
post #115 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Apple did the right thing when it left out basic features, then ignored consumer sentiment... for those same features.

Not sure what you're getting at. He's already said that those people (who didn't like it and didn't buy it) should provide Apple feedback.

But recognize Apple is usually driving towards the future (going to where the puck is going to be) and so will invest few if any resources into providing "basic features" that they don't see continuing into the future. And so that might not be what you want ,and they may never provide what you want.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #116 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Okay to get specific you said:

This is quite the exaggeration given that they never had much of a chance. The native apps and the SDK were announced before more than a half dozen web apps had even made it out the door. After the SDK was available people switched to that for the most part and native apps are more "popular" as a solution, but there is nothing wrong with web apps either. many native apps in the app store today would be better if they were turned back into web apps. They would actually function better.

Your statement implied that there was a period of web app development but that they weren't well received or had some problem and thus ultimately failed. That's an exaggeration, and almost a complete mischaracterisation of what actually happened.
This is so high-school it makes me want to puke.

Again, you imply here that web apps were "bad" or didn't work, or poorly received, when in fact there were hardly any made, and those that were made were exceedingly well received in general.

I think know what you were *trying* to say, but if you just throw around a lot of short, inaccurate hyperbolic statements intended to make you look tough more than they are intended to inform anyone of anything, you should expect a little criticism, and probably a lot of confusion in return.

Words actually, you know ... mean stuff.

"This is so high-school it makes me want to puke." See? There you go. Now wasn't that fun?

Anyways, yes I do know that on paper web apps would be superior and Steve Jobs originally intended that for the direction iphone app development should take. But it wasn't that popular for the very things you guys are pointing out. It didn't allow enough access to the system. It wasn't until the last SDK came out which allowed native apps (albeit with some limitations) that things really started to take off for the iphone.

But for at least six months in the beginning Apple tried their best to get the majority of the dev community to embrace things as they were and for the most part they didn't. Am I wrong?
Apple could of had an additional six month lead with their app store if they started with native apps in the first place.

Oh, by the way, I'm not trying to be tough. Nor do I mind criticism. I'm just generally bored.
post #117 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Thoughtless.

are you denying the success of iPhone sales? Nothing is perfect, including the iPhone, but the number of people not buying an iPhone b/c of lacking copy/paste or MMS is probably almost negligible.
post #118 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Seriously - I pray for copy/paste ONLY because it will make everyone shutup about not having it. I've had the iPhone since day 1 almost two years ago and found myself wanting copy/paste MAYBE two or three times.

---GREATEST DEVICE SINCE THE WHEEL!!!---
1. COPY&PASTE (Apple since 1984!!!)
2. ADOBE FLASH PLAYER (no more little blue squares!)
3. Horizontal EMAIL
but I'll take what I can get-this thing is the greatest as is!
post #119 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

PS: As a shareholder, gotta love how Apple is pulling the rug from under the feet of its cell-phone competition once again. Reminds me of how competitors to the iPod were often left eating dust......

Exactly. A lot of what Apple does is only successful because of its integrated ecosystem.

The early iTunes music store competitors are just about all dead. Why? Because Apple led them down a path in which the competitors could not succeed. Apple ran the iTMS at barely break-even because in Apple's ecosystem, the Store was to help sell iPods, and so Apple made their money on iPods. None of the music store competitors made hardware so they had zero profits. (I continue to wonder how much Amazon is subsidizing their mp3 store from profits in other areas of Amazon.)

Here we are again, with the App Store. Apple will run it at break-even, as its purpose is to sell iPhones/touch. For Nokia, RIM, Palm and maybe Google, it may work because they sell hardware or ads, but they all will have to deal with model/OS fragmentation, so will likely not be as successful. But MS? Since they plan to be more open than Apple, they'll surely also have lots of free apps that generate revenue not from app sales but via ads or directly-connected sites, from which MS gets zip. They'll lose as much money from their store as they actually earn from WM licensing fees.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #120 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyo9 View Post

Isn't it annoying, at least sometimes, to answer with the sliding button? This phone is a marvel but some things should be more flexible. Also:
- Horizontal keyboard
- Global search
- Bluetooth file transfer
- Flash

Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?

Because integrated and tested software doesn't just magically appear out of thin air?
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event