or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's third-gen iPod shuffle

High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's third-gen iPod shuffle - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

it looks like an apple lighter.

its actually smaller than a BIC lighter.
http://www.biclighter.com/home.shtml
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's the new iPod lighter. Plays playlists and lights cancer sticks.

P.S. The most measly amount of cable on that charger evR! I'm sure laptop owners won't mind, but iMac owners certainly will.

They could always plug it into the keyboard?? Cord is plenty long enough for that..
post #43 of 79
this site becomes more relevant every day...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

They could always plug it into the keyboard?? Cord is plenty long enough for that..

but surely it won't charge from a k/board port??
post #45 of 79
I've never found a pair of earbuds that would ever stay in my ears. Oh well. Thanks anyway Apple.
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

The buttons are a no go for me. I use my shuffle for when I ride my bike and I run my headphone cable through my shirt, thus I wouldn't be able to change the song or anything.

Oh well, I don't need any more iPods anyways.

The controls are not in the middle of the cable, they are right near the earpiece, in the tutorial video they are at the presenters neckline. The controls could be easily accessible even with the cord going through your shirt.

Also this is why I both love and hate Apple. They have the power to change things and create trends. I just wish they had googles do no evil motto. To me the lack of buttons has nothing to do with the size of the shuffle, I really think Apple is trying to change the way we do headphones. They have sent a message to headphone manufacturers "if you want to sell headphones for the shuffle you need to have the remote." There have already been announcements of third party headphones and adaptors that will come with the remote (obviously Apple told them beforehand). Possibly other mp3 player manufacturers will try to use the functionality of these new headphones and maybe we will eventually see most headphones coming with the remotes and most mp3 players using them (while keeping the physical buttons). Actually if all ipods can use these remotes, then most mp3 players will be able to as well...

The power Apple has over industry is amazing (and scary).
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #47 of 79
22 Pictures of the back of this thing and they are all gorgeous. Nice.

One of the few products that is more interesting from the back.
post #48 of 79
mispost
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

It is no different that the previous model shuffle in the way it charges. The cable is better designed that they silly dock from the previous generation. I would replace my dock with that cable for charging a earlier gen shuffle.
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The controls are not in the middle of the cable, they are right near the earpiece, in the tutorial video they are at the presenters neckline. The controls could be easily accessible even with the cord going through your shirt.

Also this is why I both love and hate Apple. They have the power to change things and create trends. I just wish they had googles do no evil motto. To me the lack of buttons has nothing to do with the size of the shuffle, I really think Apple is trying to change the way we do headphones. They have sent a message to headphone manufacturers "if you want to sell headphones for the shuffle you need to have the remote." There have already been announcements of third party headphones and adaptors that will come with the remote (obviously Apple told them beforehand). Possibly other mp3 player manufacturers will try to use the functionality of these new headphones and maybe we will eventually see most headphones coming with the remotes and most mp3 players using them (while keeping the physical buttons). Actually if all ipods can use these remotes, then most mp3 players will be able to as well...

It is sad too. The new shuffle could have had rocker-controls (aka iPod touch) on both edges to control volume and playback. Instead they had to go for the ear buds....and put them at the top as it is...grr.
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Couldn't you find a dustier environment for your pictures?

(I am not talking about the technical issues :-) enough people are talking about it already)

That was obnoxious. Even before I saw this post, I remarked to myself about how astonishingly well done the photos are. Then, with the intention of complimenting the photographer clearly a professional I see this bozo's disparaging comment about the dust. How negative.
post #52 of 79
If they made it waterproof...you know that's going through the washer.
post #53 of 79
Quote:

I guess you could do it through the shirt, but its easier to change songs and steer at 20 mph at the waist.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

post #54 of 79
Yeah the waist might be easier.
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

looks like the monolith from 2010... except much much smaller.

Baaaaaa Baaaaaa BA BA.... BOM bom BOM bom...

I am curious as to why you said 2010 instead of 2001? 2001 is clearly the better movie.
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrightstufff View Post

As an iPhone owner I find I use the headphones to control all my music. Its much quicker to grab and pinch then look and click. I think apple also realized this and the new shuffle was created.

The "comfort" of Apple earbuds aside, I love the in-line control. It is a great interface for controlling the ultimate of minimalist devices.
iMac G4, TiBook, Bodoni Blue iMac, 128K
Mac, Ti-Book, Dual G5 2.0 ghz,
23" HD Cinema Monitor,MacBook,iPhone
and nearly every generation of iPods
---------------------------
www.BeyondtheShoebox.com
www.BeyondtheShoebox.com
post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknik View Post

That was obnoxious. Even before I saw this post, I remarked to myself about how astonishingly well done the photos are. Then, with the intention of complimenting the photographer clearly a professional I see this bozo's disparaging comment about the dust. How negative.

The photos were timely and well done. I feel like I have a much better grasp on the shuffle than from any other sources I have seen so far. I feel like now I don't have to run to the Apple Store to better understand the form factor. Thanks!
www.BeyondtheShoebox.com
www.BeyondtheShoebox.com
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

sure does.
post #59 of 79
Just got back from the Apple store:

APPLE meet SONY
SONY meet APPLE

so tiny they can't even display it- the salespeople have to pull it out their pockets to show you- with yet another sync/charge adaptor.

Dreadful.
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I've never found a pair of earbuds that would ever stay in my ears. Oh well. Thanks anyway Apple.

Me also. I'm a big iProduct consumer: I've owned most iPod models dating from 1st gen through to both model iPhones, and the Apple supplied earbuds simply fall out while doing anything but wearing them sitting down.

Actually, that's not quite historically true: iPod earbuds USED to suit to my ears very well, back in the first generation era, when you paid $399 for a 5 GB, beautiful, tactile, white & metal brick.

Those ones were bigger and I could (and did) wear them 8+ hours a day without them falling out.

But I think when iPod went mainstream, and ladies and lady-men started getting them, Apple changed the sizes to suit the demographic.

Oh well, I use Sennheissers. Looking forward to wiring new buds onto Apple's cord.
post #61 of 79
Apple focus group leader:
How many people here use Apple headphones- raise your hands.

5 out of 10 hands raised.

Apple focus group leader to his staff:

WE have to make them want Apple headphones- more to be seen around and about.
I know – we’ll make them mandatory to the iPod.
No- we’ll give them no choice!

Has anybody else noticed how all the iPods (including the 2G shuffle) in an Apple store have gigantic Bose headphones attached to them? Just a thought- no trolling.
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Oh well, I use Sennheissers. Looking forward to wiring new buds onto Apple's cord.

I just got a new pair of Sennheissers and there's no way in hell I'm even thinking of slicing the cord, those buds sound like molten chocolate.

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud;1389755
Has anybody else noticed how all the iPods (including the 2G shuffle) in an Apple store have gigantic [B

Bose[/B] headphones attached to them? Just a thought- no trolling.

Using ear buds on the display models would be unhygienic and gross. Of course they use padded, over-ear headphones in a setting where people are going to be taking them on and off all day long. Since Apple doesn't make any of those, Bose it is. They could just as easily be Sony or AKG, but it's not a tacit admission that Apple doesn't think their earbuds are up to snuff.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I just got a new pair of Sennheissers and there's no way in hell I'm even thinking of slicing the cord, those buds sound like molten chocolate.

One of these might do the trick (once they are available of course).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/12/s...mpatible-ipod/

Maybe not the best solution, but as noted in my previous post, apple has the power to force industry to change, we might see a lot more headphones compatible with the shuffle in the near future. That would be a huge plus if these controls were made to work for other devices too (I understand some ipods can use them?).
post #65 of 79
Quote:

One of these might do the trick (once they are available of course).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/12/s...mpatible-ipod/

Maybe not the best solution, but as noted in my previous post, apple has the power to force industry to change, we might see a lot more headphones compatible with the shuffle in the near future. That would be a huge plus if these controls were made to work for other devices too (I understand some ipods can use them?).

This looks nice, but it will ruin the entire elegance of the idea... fisrt you have the iPod itself, then you have the bulge of the remote, then the bulge of the adapter, then you have the headphones...

That's 2 bulges too many.

I wish Apple would just make the in-ear headphones with remote in a short-cord version so I can clip the iPod to my lapel, short sleeve or shirt pocket like I would like to. Better yet, put the buttons on the iPod so I can use my existing buds.
post #66 of 79
Is the hole sturdy enough and the right size to use this as a keychain?
post #67 of 79
Pardon my ignorance, I've never used a digital music player, but how does the shuffle differ from a $10 MP3 player?
ADS
ADS
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Pardon my ignorance, I've never used a digital music player, but how does the shuffle differ from a $10 MP3 player?

http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-mp3-play...ce9%20asc#sort

Show me a $10 player with 4Gb of storage and I'll tell you.
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-mp3-play...ce9%20asc#sort

Show me a $10 player with 4Gb of storage and I'll tell you.

As I said, I'm not familiar with MP3 players. Since I have a 4 GB USB drive that I paid under $10 for, I assumed MP3 players were in the same ballpark. Mea culpa.

However, what IS the difference between a (more expensive) MP3 player and a Shuffle? If I bought one of them for my daughter(s), which would be the most bang for the buck - excluding the form factor?
ADS
ADS
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

If they made it waterproof...you know that's going through the washer.

that is entirely possible it happened to my 1st gen shuffle. now it's only a usb memory drive.
post #71 of 79
From Tales of the Goofy Side, another use for the new Shuffle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/earlysound/3350598708/
post #72 of 79
Quote:

As I said, I'm not familiar with MP3 players. Since I have a 4 GB USB drive that I paid under $10 for, I assumed MP3 players were in the same ballpark. Mea culpa.

However, what IS the difference between a (more expensive) MP3 player and a Shuffle? If I bought one of them for my daughter(s), which would be the most bang for the buck - excluding the form factor?

For the Shuffle, I think iTunes integration is the biggest advantage. iTunes can autofill it with very little input. If you only use it as a shuffling player and don't worry about playlists or the voice feedback, it's the simplest player out there.
post #73 of 79
In light of all the Green Apple ads lately, 2 words: Wasteful packaging.
post #74 of 79
Quote:

The main difference would be the ability to use iTunes to manage your music and playlists. And it's absurdly teeny tiny.

It's too bad they decided to price it at $70 rather than $50, but that'll change if they don't sell like hot cakes. $50 is a better price to encourage "what the heck, this would be a cool gift idea" purchases. Having said that, I paid $100 for the first shuffle when it came out (or was it $129?).
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Using ear buds on the display models would be unhygienic and gross. Of course they use padded, over-ear headphones in a setting where people are going to be taking them on and off all day long. Since Apple doesn't make any of those, Bose it is. They could just as easily be Sony or AKG, but it's not a tacit admission that Apple doesn't think their earbuds are up to snuff.

Ok fine. So when and if they display the new shuffle with the Bose headphones engaged and you can't do anything with the Bose attached- isn't that slightly asinine?
Will they post a sign -"For listening only- all other features crippled"?
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka View Post

In light of all the Green Apple ads lately, 2 words: Wasteful packaging.

I hope you're being sarcastic, did you see all the stuff that's packed in that box? It doesn't look huge, and I don't see where you're going to make the huge size reduction like you seem to suggest. It's not as if it's a bubble pack on a huge hanging card done in a big double layer sealed plastic tombstone to prevent easy shoplifting.
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ok fine. So when and if they display the new shuffle with the Bose headphones engaged and you can't do anything with the Bose attached- isn't that slightly asinine?
Will they post a sign -"For listening only- all other features crippled"?

That's a good point-- I guess there's no way for Apple to let people listen to the new shuffle, at the moment, which I agree is pretty lame. Actually, it's fairly insane, and ends up playing up the downside of the redesign right where Apple has the power to control the experience.

They should have had an adapter dongle ready to go, instead of the usual Apple move of promising something in a while. It would have been a good point of sale demo that the new on-the-cord control scheme needn't limit your choice of headphones. Oh, and the adapter should cost $9.99, not $19.99 like it probably will-- cheap enough so that folks won't feel unduly fleeced if they want to roll their own cans.

I wonder why Apple so frequently does this "here's a cool thing that is somewhat limited in compatibility without another bit which we will get around to selling in due course" routine? The other bit is usually a trivially simple thing, something that surely doesn't take much engineering or design time, yet it brings up the rear by weeks or months. It just seems like it would be much more effective to be able to say "for those of you who want to use the new hotness with your old peripherals, here's the solution, available now."
post #78 of 79
CNET review of the new shuffle:

The good: The third-generation Apple iPod Shuffle is as light as a feather and as small as a paper clip, and it includes VoiceOver cues, and improved support for podcasts and audiobooks.

The bad: You need to operate the Shuffle using a pill-size remote control on your headphones, battery life isn't great, features are few, and the design is a bit boring.

The bottom line: The third-generation iPod Shuffle is the next best thing to an invisible MP3 player, but the quirky controls and microscopic design make it a limited recommendation.
ADS
ADS
post #79 of 79
Seems expensive too. (Especially as the old shuffles are now 1/2 the price of this new one)

£60 in the UK, which seems a fair bit higher than the $-£ exchange rate.

I personally find the design boring and very non apple. Miniaturization for the sake of it ? Perhaps.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's third-gen iPod shuffle