or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues - Page 3

post #81 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm sure Cincinnati is a great place but this lawsuit has fraud written all over it.
  • It's not a class action as it should be if it's the real deal.
  • It charges all kinds of people that have nothing to do with the design of the product
  • It's really short on any kind of detail of what actually happened
  • It's written by someone who doesn't even know what the name of the product is.

I searched for an hour on this story and I have yet to find anywhere where the details get any clearer than : "He had it in his pocket in the off position and it caught fire melting his underwear and burning his leg."

Some obvious questions: Was it in his back pocket? Did he habitually keep it in his back pocket? had he ever sat on the thing? How did he know it was in the off position if it was in his pocket? Was the burn on his leg because of the nylon underwear or a burn from the actual product?

There are also no pictures to be found and no stats on how many time this has happened before. A company is not liable for this kind of thing unless there is a design flaw that contributed to it.

You have never done insurance claims, have you? This lawsuit doesn't have fraud written all over it, unless it is proven that the iPod is either not defective, or did not explode. Even if it is not proven, it is not fraud. Fraud is the willful intent to deceive someone. The plaintiff is simply making a claim for damages. I will review your points:

1) Not everything is a class action lawsuit, most are not. Class action only applies if a claim affects a large number of people, and the court approves the declaration of a class action. If this is the only iPod that exploded, then it won't qualify as a class action. It needs to be a large number of people
2) It charges all kinds of people because there are many different vendors involved in the making of an iPod. In a products liability case, you would want your attorney to file suit against all of them since it is not yet known what caused the iPod to explode. If you leave out one company, you have no claim against them. Apple designed the iPod, they didn't build them.
3) All lawsuits are short on detail. They are vague on purpose since it is not yet proven what caused the failure.
4) The attorney does know what the product is. Most items in a lawsuit are later abbreviated. The beginning of the suit most likely references the iPod Touch, and then says to be known later in the suit as iTouch.

You won't find any details regarding this case because most lawsuits are private. Not everything is disclosed to the public. It doesn't matter what pocket it was in, nor does it matter if it was on or off. If it is defective, it could still overheat. Who the hell wears nylon underwear??? You won't find pictures unless you happen to be on the jury. You are correct. A company is not liable unless a defect is found, and that is the reason for the suit. It will be proven in court if the iPod was in fact defective, or a component of the iPod was defective.
post #82 of 128
1. Don't tornados only occur at (a) near barns AND (b) near trailer parks? That's what local and international media has clearly demonstrated. They never show overturned SUVs and wrecked Starbucks cafes ...And the trailer parks always got to have those weird wind-chime-sculpture-things. Presumably to warn them of tornadoes. Or maybe I'm thinking of that movie "Twister" with that deligthful Helen Hunt.

2. As for the iMac vertical line, yeah, the 17" white iMac got pwned pretty badly by that defect.
post #83 of 128
As compensation, going forward, Apple should provide one pair of fireproof undergarment for each iPod and iPhone sold.

All said and done I sympathise with the "explodee" and their suffering, if it has occurred. Pity I don't have faith in the insurance or legal system to investigate and compensate adequately, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You have never done insurance claims, have you? This lawsuit doesn't have fraud written all over it, unless it is proven that the iPod is either not defective, or did not explode. Even if it is not proven, it is not fraud. Fraud is the willful intent to deceive someone. The plaintiff is simply making a claim for damages. I will review your points:

1) Not everything is a class action lawsuit, most are not. Class action only applies if a claim affects a large number of people, and the court approves the declaration of a class action. If this is the only iPod that exploded, then it won't qualify as a class action. It needs to be a large number of people
2) It charges all kinds of people because there are many different vendors involved in the making of an iPod. In a products liability case, you would want your attorney to file suit against all of them since it is not yet known what caused the iPod to explode. If you leave out one company, you have no claim against them. Apple designed the iPod, they didn't build them.
3) All lawsuits are short on detail. They are vague on purpose since it is not yet proven what caused the failure.
4) The attorney does know what the product is. Most items in a lawsuit are later abbreviated. The beginning of the suit most likely references the iPod Touch, and then says to be known later in the suit as iTouch.

You won't find any details regarding this case because most lawsuits are private. Not everything is disclosed to the public. It doesn't matter what pocket it was in, nor does it matter if it was on or off. If it is defective, it could still overheat. Who the hell wears nylon underwear??? You won't find pictures unless you happen to be on the jury. You are correct. A company is not liable unless a defect is found, and that is the reason for the suit. It will be proven in court if the iPod was in fact defective, or a component of the iPod was defective.
post #84 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It will be proven in court if the iPod was in fact defective, or a component of the iPod was defective.

This is the only part I don't agree with. It SHOULD be proven in a court, but this one will get settled. Cases like this are horrendously expensive to litigate and it's far cheaper to settle - even if you never did anything wrong. Apple will buy the kid a new pair of pants and nylon underear and the mother a new SUV and it will all go away.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #85 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is the only part I don't agree with. It SHOULD be proven in a court, but this one will get settled. Cases like this are horrendously expensive to litigate and it's far cheaper to settle - even if you never did anything wrong. Apple will buy the kid a new pair of pants and nylon underear and the mother a new SUV and it will all go away.

It will be settled if during the investigation it was determined that there was a defect. You would never go to a trial if you knew there was a defect and failed to settle when you had an opportunity. If Apple feels they have a strong case and there is no evidence of a failure, they will have reason to go to trial if the plaintiff continues to pursue the claim. A defective iPod claim would not be that expensive. You don't need many experts for that. Apple can recover costs if they win such a trial. The mother will receive nothing in this case. She is not the injured party. The settlement is for the minor, and it will be approved by the court in a Minor's Compromise. The minor would receive the settlement after he turns 18. The parents receive nothing. The claim will have minimal value because 2nd degree burns don't leave scars. 3rd degree burns do.
post #86 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The judge should throw the case out and tell them to come back when they can get the product name right.

I think it's pretty douchey to be more concerned about the product name than whether or not the claims are true, as if legalism is more important than anything else.
post #87 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an unusual turn for such suits against Apple, the plaintiff is not only looking for a specific amount in advance of any trial, at least $75,000, but isn't seeking class action status to represent all iPod touch owners.

Unusual?!? Who writes these stories? If my pants caught fire and I had severe burns, I'd want my damages paid for, not some coupon off my next Apple purchase.
post #88 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As compensation, going forward, Apple should provide one pair of fireproof undergarment for each iPod and iPhone sold.

All said and done I sympathise with the "explodee" and their suffering, if it has occurred. Pity I don't have faith in the insurance or legal system to investigate and compensate adequately, if necessary.

My PowerBook G4 from 2002 gets pretty hot on my lap. I would enjoy wearing fireproof pants in order to keep it on my lap! That is funny!

I worked in claims for 15 years, insurance companies do investigate and compensate adequately (although some don't when they should). They also defend their insureds when a questionable claim is presented. Scar claims have a high value and I had no problem paying fair compensation for scar claims, which were typically caused by major car accidents (lacerations) or dog bites/maulings. Other iPods have overheated, so it is possible. However, a 2nd degree burn generally heals without scarring.
post #89 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Unusual?!? Who writes these stories? If my pants caught fire and I had severe burns, I'd want my damages paid for, not some coupon off my next Apple purchase.

It is unusual because most recent lawsuits have been class-action. That was the point of the comment. This one is not because the majority of iPod Touch models have not overheated causing a fire/explosion. Also, most lawsuits don't specify a demand for damages, they typically seek an unspecified amount to be proven in trial. Apple surely has policy limits higher than $75,000. It is also unknown as to how long this claim has been going on, or if the first notice of the claim was by the filing of a lawsuit, which does happen at times. Since a dollar amount was specified, this claim may have been going on for awhile with negotiations taking place but unsuccessful in settlement. The iPod may have overheated and exploded, and offers may have been extended, but I am guessing the 2nd degree burn did not cause any scarring, so the general damages (pain and suffering) is minimal at best, especially trying to claim emotional distress from a healed injury.
post #90 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it's pretty douchey to be more concerned about the product name than whether or not the claims are true, as if legalism is more important than anything else.

I don't think he was being more concerned with the name than the potential for this to be a legitimate case, but the name does need to be corrected before this case can move on. In colloquial speak iTouch is fine. We use iDevice often on this forum to refer to the entire iPod and iPhone families, but it shouldn't be used in legalese.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #91 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Complete, utter, bullsh!t troll.

There are kinder ways to say ^^^^^
Well, I'm on my fourth iPhone 3G for various failures, although Apple was kind enough to keep dishing me new ones through warranty. However, I have an iPod Video, 60GB that takes a beating on worksites of various dirt, drops and hits. Keeps on ticking. I had a blue and white G3, that I believe is still in operation to this day. I think they are making products in much higher quantity these days, and the failure rate would go up, even if the percentage didn't change. So if one in 10,000 fail, when you start making millions, it looks like the build quality decreased because there are more on the market to fail.
Still, though, Apple is not a stranger to battery fires, or shitty construction. I personally know of four iBook G4's, 14 inch, which the mainboard crapped out. And the replacement parts didn't last long either. For me, in NY, in my area, that seems like an awful lot of failures. Then again, maybe we just got them all here. But to say complete utter BS because someone thinks the build quality has decreased, is a bit harsh.
post #92 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrembat View Post

My brother had a 5G iPod in which the battery fried the screen while recharging (burned through, leaving a hole and serious scorch marks). The guy at the Apple Store Genius Bar knew right away what the problem was. The iPod was out of warranty, so we replaced the screen and battery; no problems since. He's an adult and the iPod was never abused. If the parts had been more combustible, there easily could have been a fire.

Apple's marketing the device to kids. Apple should pay up and figure out why it happened so it can warn owners and design it out of future iterations or stop sourcing from that manufacturer. They should appreciate the kid for being an effective product tester.

You post sounds fishy to be honest.

Apple do not replace Batteries and Screens on iPod, that costs to much in effort, they simply replace the whole iPod.
post #93 of 128
What a complete crock! I personally know dozens of owners of iMacs from the period that is alledgedly such a problem that "nearly all owners" have this so-called display problem. I've never seen it or even heard of anyone who has seen it. Can you spell "overblown to the point of insanity?"

The exploding iPod incident is toor ridiculous for words.
post #94 of 128
1. My second generation iPod Touch hasn't exploded, but it was defective. Folks, Apple isn't perfect about quality control.

2. I spent approximately nine years trying to convince my parents to consider a Mac, I would often bring and show my Powerbook and later my MacBook to push them. The Intel switch got to them and a little more than two years ago I was finally successful. They bought an iMac. There's something wrong with the late 2006 iMacs. (despite alansky's "if I haven't heard it, it doesn't exist" thinking above)

Their 20" late 2006 iMac has been dead since August ('08).

Now I'm in a new argument, trying to push the goodness of what they did see in the Mac against my uncle's pro Windows 7 stuff, while at the same time, admittedly questioning why I would spend so much time pushing Apple. There's no way on Earth my folks are going to fork over $899.00 for a product defect that I've read about in dozens of threads on Mac forums across the planet including Apple's own support forums and now here. And I don't blame them. I blame Apple.

So it's the cheap HP or Dell, or the flexibility of building one's own box versus the expense of an iMac. The expense of an iMac where the failure of one part ends the machine. Not a big deal with HP or Dell, and if you build your own box, it's the cost of the part.

Leopard is wonderful, but to deny the improvements in Windows 7... it's tough all around.

$899.00 to repair a machine that cost roughly $2,000.00 with upgrades they desired.
A machine I told them would last for years.
A machine that was treated better than I was as a baby.

I'm happy Apple is being sued.
I expect better from Apple.
post #95 of 128
[QUOTE=MacOutlaw;1390462]Right.
So, Momma filed suit.
She's gonna hafto prove her case, for her child.
God bless her.
I'm an Apple fan.

But, if they hurt my child, both of which, and their spouses have Apple's, hurt them, or my grandchild?
By no fault of their own?
Apple will Pay!
Why?
Because, IT's the LAW!

Like it or not.
It's not demorcrank, or repulicank.

It's the law of tort.

You stupid f'n fan boys!

I am far from being a fanboy.

A. I own a pc I built myself, because I like the rewards and convenience building your own computer brings.
B. I dual-boot between Windows vista and Ubuntu
C. I supported the lawsuit filed over the sony batteries that were being used in Acer and Apple laptops.
D. I think Apple's hardware, while overall very good and very user friendly is still overpriced.

Lastly I was speaking out against the mentality that seems to exist where people want to blame the corporation first. Yes, by all means, lets hear the complete case and see where it goes. I have my doubts and thats what I was saying.

If this where a case such as the one with Sony batteries then yes, Apple should refund or replace any damaged products.

From what I heard on a local tech show in Houston, the kid had the ipod in his pocket sitting down in class, and he very well could have been sitting on it or putting some kind of external strain on it. Kids are notorious for not taking care of their electronics, especially American kids.

As it stands, there have been no other reported cases of this happening, and if other instances crop up, then I would start to doubt the stability of the product in question, otherwise it just seems like an isolated incident and not some malicious attempt by apple to hurt anyone or their kid.

Thats all.

--Eric
post #96 of 128
If you don't want an exploding iPod, then don't buy one.

I'm just sayin'.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #97 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It will be settled if during the investigation it was determined that there was a defect. You would never go to a trial if you knew there was a defect and failed to settle when you had an opportunity. If Apple feels they have a strong case and there is no evidence of a failure, they will have reason to go to trial if the plaintiff continues to pursue the claim.

Unfortunately, our system doesn't work that way. I've been in positions of responsibility for enough companies to know how it works. You ask the attorney, "How much is this likely to cost if we fight it?" You then make a settlement offer for something less than that amount. It happens all the time - which is why you get so many leeches filing scam suits.

If we went to a 'loser pays' system, the number of ridiculous lawsuits would plummet because there would be less incentive for companies to settle bogus suits.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #98 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

People are so pathetic. I bet she is overweight and barely has a high school education.

I bet you are such a poor excuse for human being.

Regarding all this dare-not-touch-all-mighty-Apple crap this tread is oozing with... makes me wonder, if AppleInsider came up with story about Microsoft Zune or Creative Zen exploding in someone's pocket... what kind of response would that produce..? Anything comparable to this tread? I bet not.

Some of you people have completely lost your compass; it seems even those Scientology Masters could learn much from Apple... sad, sad, sad.
post #99 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face.

That would show your level of intelligence.
Because then, you'd be worse off than wearing a SCAR!


...

I catch you touching ANY child, including your own, and you will surely wear a SCAR!

Don't DARE Me!

You're a wuss, for even thinking of harming a child!

And, you do it, SOMEONE WITH SENSE, WILL take you down!

M.O.
post #100 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Enjoy prison, because you will be there soon if you carry out your threat on someone. That is the way it works in America.

Thanks, someone with a brain. Finally.
I read your later post as well. Explaining, somewhat, the tort system.


NEVER THREATEN A CHILD! NEVER HARM A CHILD!

Because, no matter how unwise retribution might be, it will still be sweet.
And, the court will recognize that mitigating circumstance.


M.O.
post #101 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

That would show your level of intelligence.
Because then, you'd be worse off than wearing a SCAR!


........

I catch you touching ANY child, including your own, and you will surely wear a SCAR!

Don't DARE Me!

You're a wuss, for even thinking of harming a child!

And, you do it, SOMEONE WITH SENSE, WILL take you down!

M.O.

Dude your posts are disturbingly violent!!
Could you cutout your over-the-top racist comments, please?! This is your second attack against this poster, and it's not appropriate.
This is a Mac forum where Apple enthusiasts share their thoughts...
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #102 of 128
[QUOTE=ericblr;1390559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Right.
So, Momma filed suit.
She's gonna hafto prove her case, for her child.


Lastly I was speaking out against the mentality that seems to exist where people want to blame the corporation first. Yes, by all means, lets hear the complete case and see where it goes. I have my doubts and thats what I was saying.

From what I heard on a local tech show in Houston, the kid had the ipod in his pocket sitting down in class, and he very well could have been sitting on it or putting some kind of external strain on it. Kids are notorious for not taking care of their electronics, especially American kids.

As it stands, there have been no other reported cases of this happening, and if other instances crop up, then I would start to doubt the stability of the product

--Eric

Just my 2 cents worth:

1 cent: About the iMac screen problem law suit: What happened to Americans, when did we get so spoiled that we would buy a computer which is guaranteed for one year, and have the insane balls to sue the company 4 years later to get a new one for free because we expect to be able to pass a one year computer down to our great great grandchildren as if we just bought it???

2 cents: about the "exploding" iPod Touch, which apparently did not explode, and very likely did not catch fire. Second degree burns means he got some blisters, there should be no scars,and they will need to have taken pictures to prove the blisters. (I hope the mom isn't so greedy that she decides to re-burn the kid to get more money!) Also, the kid, if as is reported one place, was sitting on it, got what he deserved for being stupid. Apple cannot afford to make an iPod that is bulletproof, and has an unbreakable spine that will not bend or deform if it is sat upon!
Now, don't conclude that I'm assuming this is true, nor that the burns did not happen, I'm just trying to give a broader perspective, until we hear actual facts as revealed in court. Meanwhile, maybe AppleInsider should NOT use such inflammatory terms as "exploded," when clearly after reading the article, that's not what happened!

Best wishes, and I hope justice wins out.
post #103 of 128
123 delete me
post #104 of 128
Save those iPods!

Doesn't anyone watch "Mission Impossible"?
post #105 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Dude your posts are disturbingly violent!!
Could you cutout your over-the-top racist comments, please?! This is your second attack against this poster, and it's not appropriate.
This is a Mac forum where Apple enthusiasts share their thoughts...

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote, but clearly in your post quoting him & telling him not to continue with racist comments, there are NO racist comments! Maybe he's over the top in threatening violence, but I don't see anything racist about insulting someone's intelligence, unless you think that that automatically implies only one particular race? And if that is true, you are either racist yourself, or have been a victim of racism and are over-reacting, in which case, maybe you should reevaluate how you react to "normal" situations, or talk to more people of different racial groups. I've done that and been amazed to see how nearly identical we all are! We all have the same fears and desires, but I have known a few people who were "reverse racists," because they had been treated so badly in their lives by a particular racial group. I know one black woman who hearing something related to racism on the radio or news made a statement to the effect that they should just kill off all the white people because they had caused virtually all the problems on Earth! Of course, if she could have calmed down a little, and thought about how some of the related nearby tribes of her ancestors had acted, she would have realized that they in fact were the ones who sold her ancestors into slavery! And realizing that, hopefully have realized that there are rotten disgusting human beings in every racial group, and that we should blame individuals and social systems that encourage unethical behavior (like the social environment in the company Enron), and not blame any group or race as a whole.
post #106 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote, but clearly in your post quoting him & telling him not to continue with racist comments, there are NO racist comments! Maybe he's over the top in threatening violence, but I don't see anything racist about insulting someone's intelligence, unless you think that that automatically implies only one particular race? And if that is true, you are either racist yourself, or have been a victim of racism and are over-reacting, in which case, maybe you should reevaluate how you react to "normal" situations, or talk to more people of different racial groups. I've done that and been amazed to see how nearly identical we all are! We all have the same fears and desires, but I have known a few people who were "reverse racists," because they had been treated so badly in their lives by a particular racial group. I know one black woman who hearing something related to racism on the radio or news made a statement to the effect that they should just kill off all the white people because they had caused virtually all the problems on Earth! Of course, if she could have calmed down a little, and thought about how some of the related nearby tribes of her ancestors had acted, she would have realized that they in fact were the ones who sold her ancestors into slavery! And realizing that, hopefully have realized that there are rotten disgusting human beings in every racial group, and that we should blame individuals and social systems that encourage unethical behavior (like the social environment in the company Enron), and not blame any group or race as a whole.


Thanks drdavid911,

I do apologize for sounding as angry as I did, BUT<
I will never meet said person in real life.
And, it's a general warning.
The courts, and therefore, the People,
will Always, naturally respond to "Defend Children"...

This guy, actually said he would harm my children, in the face,
if they did something stupid or foolish.
(Not quoting, but, What child, or adult for that matter, have you ever known to NOT do something foolish or stupid? Or, whatever he said that he would harm them for?)

I'm amazed at the amount of stupidity that exists on this forum.
Yea, ya'll tried some software, and own a computer.
BIG DEAL!
What's that make you, if you can sit by idly, while someone threatens a child?

It makes you WORTHLESS!

M.O.

PS Sorry if you don't like my diagnoses...
post #107 of 128
I'm not an american, so i don't no your slang-talking. but what does "eF'n Forign Loser" mean?
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Buddy, then,
YOU'd Be Wearin' the Scar!
And, rightly so, for being so F'n Stoopid!

You whack my kid, I whack you dead. No more said. UNDERSTAND??? OBOMBUSBOY?
Don't F with me, you Anulsadkarian!

This woman's child was hurt by an Apple product.
According to "This Country's" laws, she has the right to bring suit, which she did.
According to my own law, I have a right to Scar you dead, for touching my child! BEWARE, ME!
You stoopid fool!
You're dam lucky this is an internet forum!

Regardless, the nice lady is doing the correct thing, and all you "fanboys" don't like it! Hah! Hey, guess what? I hate MS. I buy Apple. But, they hurt my child, They will pay, like anyone else!


Wise up, and get a grip on the law. Before you're Forced To! Hear me? Read me? Loud and clear? Good.
Then Shut UP!
WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN HERE, FIRST, AND FOREMOST. GO HOME!

Anyone hurts a child in this country, must beware. Even if the child acted foolishly. Get it?
Got it?
Good..

That's the law that my business's have abided by for decades, and I'm glad.
You want to participate in this country, get used to it, and, carry the proper insurance, or, stand to "Daddy's Wrath".
You numbskull..

That's the way it works in America!
Love it,
Or,
Leave it!
You eF'n Forign Loser!

Nice chat.
Done with you.

Later,
Not.

M.O.
F.O.
M
Reply
M
Reply
post #108 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by egz4u2 View Post

Dell would reimburse me, not Apple (!)

No, they wouldn't. I speak from experience. I had a similar problem with a Latitude D800, literally 36 days after the three-year warranty expired. They would not cover it, reimburse it, anything.

Since the problem would happen when the unit was cold, and tend to go away when it was warm, I decided it was a bad contact somewhere on the panel. I first assumed it was the cable that goes through the hinge, but I replaced it and that wasn't it. However, as I was moving things around with the machine running, I noticed that if I applied pressure on the left side of the panel, the problem went away.

So I experimented to find the optimal pressure point and applied some scotch tape to it. Problem solved. I never did find out why the contact was poor. I assume either hairline fractures in one or more conductors on the flexible circuit board, or in solder joints. The "repair" was effective at least for several months. After that, I lost track of the machine.

There is no question in my mind that this is a manufacturing defect. It's the result of the industry continually low balling suppliers, who in turn cut corners.
post #109 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

It's a shame that so many on this board are idiots. It certainly keeps me away. I certainly do not mean everyone!

If I may speak frankly, given how you're writing, I will assume so. I don't think you would be missed, based on what you've been writing. If keeping away from this forum is a threat you're making, I think that's the one threat you probably should carry out.

Quote:
I think I made it apparently clear, that I don't believe in any profiteering company's right, to scar a child!

Are you suggesting that Apple deliberately hurts children? That's the best I can make of it. If so, that's absurd.

Some of your writing is quite interesting, I can't say for sure that you're like this, but you do remind me of the archetype of parent that lets their children become obnoxious and destructive, but get mad when anyone tries to do anything about it, even just a simple half hour sitting in detention.
post #110 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote......

Actually, you'd have to read only about 20.
post #111 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Have you used windows 7?

#1
My good man, that was not the point of my post. My god. It's about the gap between the two operating systems being narrowed for the average user at a terrible time when Apple refuses to accept responsibility for its mess ups with the late '06 iMacs and how that relates to my folks and my efforts to keep them with Apple.

#2
YES! I've always used both Windows boxes and Macs and chances are, considering where I live and who I know, I quite likely got to fiddle around with 7 long before you did. I prefer my Macs, but even on the MacBook I'm using now, Windows 7 is installed under Boot Camp using the Vista drivers.

1. Windows 7 is a world of difference from Vista and is better than XP. The bar is an improvement and if you don't understand that, chances are it's because you're thinking too much "dock" rather than taking it for what it is - or thinking about the average end user.

2. What does the default wallpaper matter? Is that really such a big "feature" for you!?

3. It is FASTER. My heavens, you claim to have used it? It's all around FASTER than Vista. I have never read or heard anyone claim 7 to be slower than Vista and the fact that you said it makes me think that either something is royally messed up on your machine, or you haven't used it.

Look, I prefer Leopard to 7 and I'm bound to prefer Snow Leopard to 7, but let's tell it as it is.

AND LET US REMEMBER THAT THAT WASN'T THE POINT OF MY POST

Geez.
post #112 of 128
Oops, delete.
post #113 of 128
Wow. Exploding iPods to raving racist posts to now Windows7.

This thread must be the most... weird we've had in quite a few weeks.

Cheers
-Mr. Unspellable Name (That's why I use "nvidia2008").
post #114 of 128
Ah, spare the rod and spoil the child? The old debate.
post #115 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote, but clearly in your post quoting him & telling him not to continue with racist comments, there are NO racist comments! Maybe he's over the top in threatening violence, but I don't see anything racist about insulting someone's intelligence, unless you think that that automatically implies only one particular race?

I wasn't sure myself, but I went back and re-read the posts in question a couple times. When someone replies to anilsudhakaran as "Mr. Anal whatever" or "mister unspellable name", I think that racism may well be a fair charge, especially when copy and paste or less inflammatory personal pronouns clearly could have been used. I have removed most of the references just now so hopefully it doesn't get even more out of hand.
post #116 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If I may speak frankly, given how you're writing, I will assume so. I don't think you would be missed, based on what you've been writing. If keeping away from this forum is a threat you're making, I think that's the one threat you probably should carry out.



Are you suggesting that Apple deliberately hurts children? That's the best I can make of it. If so, that's absurd.

Some of your writing is quite interesting, I can't say for sure that you're like this, but you do remind me of the archetype of parent that lets their children become obnoxious and destructive, but get mad when anyone tries to do anything about it, even just a simple half hour sitting in detention.

Even after an edit, this is the best you could do, Jeff moderator?

What is it, specifically about my writing that you find so interesting, especially to make you think that I'm one of those "archetype" parents that you describe? (btw, they annoy me too, I just wanted to know what made you think me that way?)
My children are grown, successful and respectful, in their twenties and own many properties and doing very well, because of (in part) MY upbringing. I think all children are wonderful, and deserve the best parents they can have.
I did take some classes on child-rearing, and there is no reason, usually for corporal punishment. What us adult-parents like to call it, is "Natural Consequence". Just like Real Life! Cool, huh?

That you think I'm trying to say that Apple, or any other company is trying to "deliberately" hurt children is, as you say, Absurd!
Where the heck did you get that?

For anyone who could possibly still be interested, this is where it began:

"If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face."

Someone says something like this, to me, and YOU have no comment on it? You instead, pick on me, for being agitated?
Gimme a break!
If you truly are a moderator here, I think your superior(s) needs to check what you write.
I think, they'd find YOUR writings "interesting"! Check your moral compass, AND the law!

You will all find, that it's the courts job to "find facts", that's called "discovery".
It will be determined if the kid was a "jerk" who deserved to get scarred for life, (as so many here think) or, if somewhere in the design/manufacturing process was there a flaw? Of this one, or many of the itouch's.
Apple and the boy, I trust, will both receive a fair trial.

With all the facts we have to work with, how could ANYONE HERE Opine on it more than that?

M.O.
post #117 of 128
these suits are great, if the ipod touch really did explode then the lady deserves everything she will get and more for having the guts to stand up to it.

The iMac display is disgraceful, I have a friend with the same problem, lines everywhere. Apple have been shameful in their service.

According to an ex-employee they have just been told to deny everything. Hope they get taken for millions...
post #118 of 128
Deary deary me. There's some absolute crap being spouted on the last three pages.

Why does it always seem that discussions around issues with Apple products always result in mass arguments, as if some people in the Apple community are unable to accept that there might be a problem with Apple products.

I'm witholding judgement on the iPhone issue, it sounds like an isolated incident to me.

As for the white iMacs having that screen problem, well it looks clear that there is a problem and Apple should do something for their users. I would expect a quality product like an Apple computer to last more than 2-3 years. After all, you dummies, why do you think that Apple products hold their used values so well, which we all benefit from? It's because their products are durable and the OS isn't full of spyware and crapware, so people pay good money for them 2nd hand. So we all stand to lose if something like this isn't sorted out.

Before anyone damns me as a MS/Windows junkie, I have a number of Apple products in my house including a 24" Alu iMac which I'm very happy with.
post #119 of 128
You had a right to be agitated but I think your responses were over the top. Your debate has more to do with corporal punishment (which I believe still exists all over the "civilised" parts of the world, American or un-American or otherwise).

In any case this whole thread has been so totally derailed it seems to have been rendered useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Even after an edit, this is the best you could do, Jeff moderator?

What is it, specifically about my writing that you find so interesting, especially to make you think that I'm one of those "archetype" parents that you describe? (btw, they annoy me too, I just wanted to know what made you think me that way?)
My children are grown, successful and respectful, in their twenties and own many properties and doing very well, because of (in part) MY upbringing. I think all children are wonderful, and deserve the best parents they can have.
I did take some classes on child-rearing, and there is no reason, usually for corporal punishment. What us adult-parents like to call it, is "Natural Consequence". Just like Real Life! Cool, huh?

That you think I'm trying to say that Apple, or any other company is trying to "deliberately" hurt children is, as you say, Absurd!
Where the heck did you get that?

For anyone who could possibly still be interested, this is where it began:

"If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face."

Someone says something like this, to me, and YOU have no comment on it? You instead, pick on me, for being agitated?
Gimme a break!
If you truly are a moderator here, I think your superior(s) needs to check what you write.
I think, they'd find YOUR writings "interesting"! Check your moral compass, AND the law!

You will all find, that it's the courts job to "find facts", that's called "discovery".
It will be determined if the kid was a "jerk" who deserved to get scarred for life, (as so many here think) or, if somewhere in the design/manufacturing process was there a flaw? Of this one, or many of the itouch's.
Apple and the boy, I trust, will both receive a fair trial.

With all the facts we have to work with, how could ANYONE HERE Opine on it more than that?

M.O.
post #120 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You had a right to be agitated but I think your responses were over the top. Your debate has more to do with corporal punishment (which I believe still exists all over the "civilised" parts of the world, American or un-American or otherwise).

It was the kind of response that I was concerned about. A debate is fine, but we don't need people that get rabid when their "hot button" issue comes up and people hold views they disagree with.

Quote:
In any case this whole thread has been so totally derailed it seems to have been rendered useless.

Pretty much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues