or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

post #1 of 171
Apple on Tuesday previewed its iPhone OS 3.0 software which includes over 1,000 new APIs for developers and over 100 new features for end users, including Copy & Paste, multimedia messaging, and a landscape mode for applications like Mail and Notes.

"The new iPhone OS 3.0 is a major software release packed with incredible new features and innovations for iPhone customers and developers alike," said the company's marketing chief, Philip Schiller. "It will keep us years ahead of the competition."

For Developers

Members of Apple's iPhone developer program can download a beta release iPhone OS 3.0 sometime today (preview page) that includes an updated iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) with over 1,000 new Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that will facilitate new capabilities such as in-app content purchases; peer-to-peer connections over Bonjour; an app interface for hardware accessories; access to the iPod music library; a new Maps API and the long-awaited push notification support.

More specifically, Apple announced that in-app purchases will allow developers to offer subscription content and provide the ability to sell new content and features in a simple and secure process from directly within their apps. Meanwhile, game developers can leverage the new peer-to-peer connections support to more easily create peer-to-peer network games for iPhone and iPod touch by using Bluetooth.

Another key developer feature in the iPhone OS 3.0 beta software is the ability for apps to interface with proprietary hardware accessories manufactured by third-party accessory makers, creating a whole new element of control for iPhone and iPod touch accessory developers as well as a new ecosystem of solutions for customers.

Developers will also be able to use Apple's new Maps API to integrate Google Mobile Maps services within their apps which will offer Google Map tiles, current location, custom annotations and geocoding. The iPhone OS 3.0 beta software includes the Apple Push Notification service which provides developers with a mechanism to alert users with sounds, text or a badge messages in real-time.

For Users

For iPhone and iPod touch owners, Apple announced over 100 new features that will be available when iPhone OS 3.0 is released this summer including cut, copy and paste, which can be done within or across applications; MMS to send and receive photos; contacts; audio files and locations with the Messages app; and the ability to capture and send audio recordings on the go with the new Voice Memo app.

You double tap onto the text, and it automatically selects that text, adding grab points you can drag to customize your selection.

Landscape view will also be available for Mail, Text and Notes. Search capabilities will be expanded, allowing customers to search within Mail, iPod and Notes or search across all key apps by typing a key word or phrase into the new Spotlight search, conveniently accessed from the Home screen.

An updated Stock app will add the ability to display recent company news and current trading information like opening or average price, trading volume or Market Cap, and will offer a landscape view to see a full screen of any stock chart. Users will also be able to view shared calendars right on their iPhone with CalDAV support and sync their calendars with iCal, Yahoo, Google and Oracle.

Apple also announced that the App Store has more than 25,000 applications available to consumers, and 15 more countries have been added so the App Store is now available in 77 countries, allowing developers to reach more than 30 million iPhone and iPod touch users around the world.

As part of this announcement, Apple said it's sold 17 million iPhones to date and a total of 30 million multi-touch handhelds when sales of iPod touches are included. This means the company has sold 13 million iPod touches in approximately 18-months, marking the first time it has broken out sales figures for the touch.

Availability

The iPhone OS 3.0 beta software and SDK will be available for registered developers to download starting today. iPhone customers will be able to download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free this summer and iPod touch customers will be able to purchase the software update for $9.95. Apple notes that MMS messaging will be available only on iPhone 3G and that fees may apply. Some iPhone 3.0 features may also not be supported by older hardware, such as the original iPhone, citing differences in the internal radio.

Additional Details

For additional details, please see AppleInsider stories addressing individual topics:

iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search
iPhone 3.0 to include peer-to-peer support, push notification
App Store audience hits 30 million users, 13M iPod touches sold
Developers show off new features of iPhone 3.0
Apple on iPhone tethering, Flash support, and Copy & Paste
post #2 of 171
All in all a "great update". They pretty much addressed all the software gripes the majority of people had. Now we have "the great wait", for 3.0, and then the unlock period for those of us who want out of jail.

The big news will be in the summer when 3.0 comes out and Apple announce new hardware. I'm looking for a "good" camera with xenon flash and auto-focus, 32GB storage, and an OLED display. This will be the bigger news in my eyes, for my use!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All in all a great update, now we have "the great wait".

Happy St. Paddy's Day, Ireland!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 171
When you step back and think about what this little device is doing and what it can do - it's kind of mind blowing. This update is very impressive, particularly taken on top of the already great 2.0 software.
post #5 of 171
These good news make me forget about failing economy and all other global problems. =) LOL
Apple had me at scrolling
post #6 of 171
wow.. it took two major releases to implement something as simple as copy-paste and mms... iPhone really is the only Apple product I have som major problems seeing any value to. iPhone really is _not_ state of the art in any way in contrast to the mac
post #7 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Happy St. Paddy's Day, Ireland!

Thank you! You see me in a pub drinking Guinness, fighting and burping. Don't you? Don't you!!?

Really I'm in my robe, being the sickest I've been in years. I'm a walking drug store. Fell like I have TB. Probably that Australian flu virus (not bird-flu).
post #8 of 171
So it's free for all iPhone Revs and $10 for iPod Touch types?
post #9 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

When you step back and think about what this little device is doing and what it can do - it's kind of mind blowing. This update is very impressive, particularly taken on top of the already great 2.0 software.

If I recall correctly, I theorized that iPhone could become a platform for all kinds of devices. Now with the examples of medical hardware and software being shown, this is going to really blow the lid off of at-home diagnostics.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

wow.. it took two major releases to implement something as simple as copy-paste and mms... iPhone really is the only Apple product I have som major problems seeing any value to. iPhone really is _not_ state of the art in any way in contrast to the mac

I was really hoping that the announcement of copy/paste and MMS would STOP people from complaining about these features not existing.

(features that I personally haven't missed one bit in two years of use)
post #11 of 171
Quote:

Thank you! You see me in a pub drinking Guinness, fighting and burping. Don't you? Don't you!!?

Really I'm in my robe, being the sickest I've been in years. I'm a walking drug store. Fell like I have TB. Probably that Australian flu virus (not bird-flu).

No, I never thought you were a stereotypical Irishman.

Sorry to hear you're sick. Think good thoughts... about Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 171
I tried looking but couldn't find any info, did they mention syncing of tasks in iCal?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #13 of 171
I agree that this is a great update.... but, no video?

Come ON..

I actually love to snap video using Cycorder.. it's QUITE good !!!!!!

any guesses on whether Saurik will be able to port Cycorder to 3.0 and allow it to work with MMS ?
post #14 of 171
Quote:

You are kidding right ?
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
post #15 of 171
Quote:

All in all a "great update". They pretty much addressed all the software gripes the majority of people had. Now we have "the great wait", for 3.0, and then the unlock period for those of us who want out of jail.

The big news will be in the summer when 3.0 comes out and Apple announce new hardware. I'm looking for a "good" camera with xenon flash and auto-focus, 32GB storage, and an OLED display. This will be the bigger news in my eyes, for my use!

Now i could care less about a 'good' built-in camera... The news is about the ability to provide software for devices plugged into the dock connector.
If any of the camera companies are smart, we might now see camera bodies to which you connect the touch/iPhone as a controller/preview.
THEN we'll start seeing some quality... great lenses, zoom, flash etc with the ability to update the software on the controller.
Camera quality on a phone is a dead end because after a certain point, its all about the lenses. We now have that option, if anyone will wake up and do it.

And musicians can start connecting their midi rigs through the dock connector and the iPhone/touch becomes a GREAT performance controller.
post #16 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

You are kidding right ?

not really, I think it's great that it has gained Apple additional popularity in the US though.. however, in sweden, the iPhone is associated with "white trash" (no other Apple product is)

(I really hope noone takes offence by that )
post #17 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I was really hoping that the announcement of copy/paste and MMS would STOP people from complaining about these features not existing.

(features that I personally haven't missed one bit in two years of use)

It might help if Apple communications/marketing would stop calling every new "feature" something ground-breaking etc. Cut & Paste, MMS should have been introduced in the very beginning - as far less innovative cell phones were already doing it.

Now, what about video in iPhone 3.0? I've seen mention of audio recording and sending on the go, but no mention of video. Is it available now or are we going to have to wait for iPhone 4.0?

Video is the most important "feature" still missing from the device (now that cut & paste is getting dealt with). Personally...I have cursed not having cut and paste almost everyday and have been extremely irritated with Apple for forcing me to come up with ridiculous work-arounds for a so-called feature that has been around since before Windows 3.1.

So, thanks to Apple for finishing the job it started.
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
post #18 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Camera quality on a phone is a dead end because after a certain point, its all about the lenses. We now have that option, if anyone will wake up and do it.

so very true.. it really bugs me that some people actually juges smartphones by "how many megapixels they have".. anything above 5 MP is overkill without a proper lens. there is a reason for the top quality digital cameras being of the physical size they are.
post #19 of 171
Quote:

not really, I think it's great that it has gained Apple additional popularity in the US though.. however, in sweden, the iPhone is associated with "white trash" (no other Apple product is)

well whatever, i'll take that 'white trash' over any crackberry any day
post #20 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

It might help if Apple communications/marketing would stop calling every new "feature" something ground-breaking etc. Cut & Paste, MMS should have been introduced in the very beginning - as far less innovative cell phones were already doing it.

Now, what about video in iPhone 3.0? I've seen mention of audio recording and sending on the go, but no mention of video. Is it available now or are we going to have to wait for iPhone 4.0?

Video is the most important "feature" still missing from the device (now that cut & paste is getting dealt with). Personally...I have cursed not having cut and paste almost everyday and have been extremely irritated with Apple for forcing me to come up with ridiculous work-arounds for a so-called feature that has been around since before Windows 3.1.

So, thanks to Apple for finishing the job it started.

another very basic feature missing is the ability to run several applications at once. maybe they could implement it like "spaces" in OS X.. that would be pretty neat.
post #21 of 171
Quote:

Complete rubbish.

The social mores of Swedes are quite irrelevant.
post #22 of 171
Quote:

Maybe "Cbswe" work for Ericsson (Sweden), they thought the same thing about Finland (Nokia), now they own 40% of the Mobile GSM market.
post #23 of 171
Quote:

Ah, there we go again with the "European and Japanes phone users are SOOOOO far ahead of US" nonsense.
What they have is unusable phones with tons of useless features that can't be used.
This is just typical european US-envy.
post #24 of 171
Quote:

another very basic feature missing is the ability to run several applications at once. maybe they could implement it like "spaces" in OS X.. that would be pretty neat.

You are so missing the point that you are either completely stupid or just a troll.
post #25 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

You are so missing the point that you are either completely stupid or just a troll.

Tell us- Is your Kool-aid green today for St. Paddy's Day?
post #26 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

Jeez... didn't even read the post, did you.
Really... this is NOT the simple task that bedroom scripters seem to think it is.
Opening up the clipboard (a LOVELY attack vector) as a common breeding ground between apps is fraught with risks.
It took time not because of coding difficulties (which amateurs always think is the big hard problem), but in designing a good interface and dealing with security issues at a LOWER LEVEL!!
One of the tin-hat "Apple is out to screw us" types has to explain to me the great benefit Apple would have by intentionally withholding C/P.
I'm dying to hear this brilliant business analysis.
post #27 of 171
Quote:

I'm going to have to side with Apple on this one. I think that the need for running apps simultaneously on a phone is overblown.

Other than say listening to music whilst you do another task there really doesn't seem to be any reason why a lot of apps need to be running.

In fact I hope that Apple takes this push notification feature and brings it to desktop/laptop applications. When I look at my Activity Monitor I see these "agents"
running for apps I barely use and they sit there and consume CPU cycles and RAM.

Spotlight isn't just a searching mechanism it also works in conjuction with the filesystem to keep apps up data about changes. I don't need these little agents watching constantly when they can simply contact the filestystem for a log of all changes upon launch.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #28 of 171
Quote:

so very true.. it really bugs me that some people actually juges smartphones by "how many megapixels they have".. anything above 5 MP is overkill without a proper lens. there is a reason for the top quality digital cameras being of the physical size they are.

Thank you.
post #29 of 171
Quote:

Complete rubbish.

The social mores of Swedes are quite irrelevant.

well thank you for taking my post the wrong way and generalise as well as insult my country
post #30 of 171
Quote:

Many of us are simply looking for something a bit better than what is currently offered. How about a 3 or 4 mp upgrade with added functionality? I don't think that's too much to ask for at this point.
post #31 of 171
We have yet to see Apple acknowledge the event accept/calendar issues with the current version

Happens with Exchange and Kerio mail server systems.

Hope to heck it is fixed soon!
post #32 of 171
Quote:

Ah, there we go again with the "European and Japanes phone users are SOOOOO far ahead of US" nonsense.
What they have is unusable phones with tons of useless features that can't be used.

I'm living in Belgium (Europe). I have been a Nokia users for years and loved the user interface and reliability. Most Sony, Motorola didn't meet the quality and technology that Nokia offered.
Now suddenly Blackberry took the lead in the business world with there Nokia like quality with super email functionality.
I don't have a iphone (only an iPod touch) but it is amazing that 2 year old phone can be updated with 100 new functions + the 100 more features which were available in version 2 software.
I use to have a Nokia E61 Smart phone and I couldn't even updated it or I had to wipe the all thing, It was so complicated it would have taken me one day to find out to do it right. AND I ONLY GOT BUG FIXES.
My 7 month old Blackberry Curve is great device but I don't see any new features.
I see people complaining not having support for MMS in iphone1 with version 3.0, sorry to hear you only will have 99 new features !!!!
post #33 of 171
Quote:

It probably is a culture thing.. I think it's kinda weird though that the iPhone has struck US as the first "this is it"-phone.. as I have understood it, smartphones, with exception for blackberrys, has been somewhat of a miss in the US until the iPhone.. that would have been all great, if not apple had limited the phone and made it a lot more like a ordinary cell phone with extra features rather then a proper smartphone

Quote:

no, I really think I am _not_ missing the point.. I would like to stress that I do have tast in products and I am not one of those tech spec-geeks who thinks a acer laptop is "superior" to a macbook just because it has more GHz, has more USB-ports or something similar. I am very aware of the end user experience for the iPhone and as I said, I think of myself as a person with taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm going to have to side with Apple on this one. I think that the need for running apps simultaneously on a phone is overblown.

Other than say listening to music whilst you do another task there really doesn't seem to be any reason why a lot of apps need to be running.

In fact I hope that Apple takes this push notification feature and brings it to desktop/laptop applications. When I look at my Activity Monitor I see these "agents"
running for apps I barely use and they sit there and consume CPU cycles and RAM.

Spotlight isn't just a searching mechanism it also works in conjuction with the filesystem to keep apps up data about changes. I don't need these little agents watching constantly when they can simply contact the filestystem for a log of all changes upon launch.

well, there you go.. it's sort of the problem in a nutshell.. the iPhone is kind of setting the norm for smartphones in the US.. and the norm will be phones that can run one app at once.. and the design of the smartphone systems will follow that niche. The end result will be bad compatibility between computers and smartphones because they will distance as computer units.

with the iPod it's fine.. a music player is best as just a music player.. but the smartphone really should be useable as the step down from a laptop
post #34 of 171
[QUOTE=Cbswe;1391711

well, there you go.. it's sort of the problem in a nutshell.. the iPhone is kind of setting the norm for smartphones in the US.. and the norm will be phones that can run one app at once.. and the design of the smartphone systems will follow that niche. The end result will be bad compatibility between computers and smartphones because they will distance as computer units.
[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that...
Palm Pre is claiming background apps. We'll see if that's the 'must have' feature or not. If it isn't, then maybe US users are right, huh?
BTW, running background 'apps' is not that particularly awe inspiring when the apps are essentially glorified HyperCard stacks. (Although I loved HyperCard.)
post #35 of 171
...that any time someone has a valid comment that doesn't gush all over Apple, they are called a "troll". I guess if you love everything Apple that makes you a brilliant intellect.

I am happy for apple fans that their precious phone will soon have most of the capabilities of everyone elses phone. Talk about brilliant intellect. Paying more for less just to impress your friends.
post #36 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

...that any time someone has a valid comment that doesn't gush all over Apple, they are called a "troll". I guess if you love everything Apple that makes you a brilliant intellect.

I am happy for apple fans that their precious phone will soon have most of the capabilities of everyone elses phone. Talk about brilliant intellect. Paying more for less just to impress your friends.

Troll.
post #37 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Many of us are simply looking for something a bit better than what is currently offered. How about a 3 or 4 mp upgrade with added functionality? I don't think that's too much to ask for at this point.

It really IS all about the lens and the CMOS and the lighting and shadow detail. For example, take a high quality image and res it down to 2 MP. In comparison to anything the iPhone can produce the difference is huge.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #38 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Or drive the detractors wild with envy.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #39 of 171
Quote:

Copy and paste is not EASY. It's very difficult.

MMS is easy, but Apple didn't want to do it.
post #40 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Copy and paste is not EASY. It's very difficult.

MMS is easy, but Apple didn't want to do it.

even I could write an algorithm for copy-paste.. god only knows the reason for Apple not implementing it initially
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs