or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › "Jesus Phone 3.0" touches diabetic blogger

"Jesus Phone 3.0" touches diabetic blogger - Page 2

post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is it really necessary to use Christian language and imagery like this in a story on a new iPhone feature?

Why - just because it mentioned this guy?
post #42 of 110
A versatile device indeed!

The iPhone can also be a light-saber, a level, a wood surface... not to mention an iPod, a GPS, a photo viewer, a calendar, a web browser, and of course a phone.

I reiterate: Steve Jobs is a genious.
post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

The iPhone can also be a light-saber, a level, a wood surface... not to mention an iPod, a GPS, a photo viewer, a calendar, a web browser, and of course a phone.

It's still no match for the Pomegranate Phone:

http://www.pomegranatephone.com/
post #44 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

I reiterate: Steve Jobs is a genious.

I agree, and the Apple team as a whole are amazing too.

Just had an idea reading your post ... someone should bring out Blackberry Storm, Palm Pre and Zune emulation apps for the iPhone just for fun.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jesus... give the woman a break. The closeups on her hands showed that she was really nervous. You'd have done better?
And if you can't see past your own parochial needs to see what a breakthrough this kind of device is going to be for a TON of people, then I just feel sorry for you.
Go back to playing your sophomoric games.

Explain to me why I can't comment on a poorly prepared and presented demonstration simply because the product is good and ignoble. And the presentation was obviously prepared before she took stage, which negates any nervousness she had when I mentioned the concept of the presentation being poor. Can you not separate the two?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #46 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Nica jab at the bored journalists and a well deserved one too. Boy was I embarrased for these "journalists" while reading the liveblogs of the event. Talk about no nose for a good story.

Thank you AppleInsider for keeping the bar high among daily tech news sites and blogs.

Exactly! They were "bored" because that particular presentation gave them absolutely nothing to write about. Never mind the advances it just created. All they were interested in was the actual features and now how they could be implemented. Sometimes journalist are so annoying.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Explain to me why I can't comment on a poorly prepared and presented demonstration simply because the product is good and ignoble. Can you not separate the two?

You know we all expect such high standards at all Apple presentations, the bar is so amazingly high. Even a presentation that would be considered OK or even good at most such events appear as poor to us. We are spoiled
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Exactly! They were "bored" because that particular presentation gave them absolutely nothing to write about. Never mind the advances it just created. All they were interested in was the actual features and now how they could be implemented. Sometimes journalist are so annoying.

The sad fact is if any one of them had a kid with diabetes they would have seen it in a totally different light.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #49 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You know we all expect such high standards at all Apple presentations, the bar is so amazingly high. Even a presentation that would be considered OK or even good at most such events appear as poor to us. We are spoiled

I am not holding it to a Steve Jobs level. I just don't think Anita has any public speaking training. Which isn't her fault unless she made to demo the SW by her J&J.

Quote:

The sad fact is if any one of them had a kid with diabetes they would have seen it in a totally different light.

I don't think anyone is pooh-poohing the advantages that LifeScan can offer in bettering the quality of life of diabetics. IMO, it was just was just really, really bad way of presenting it.
post #50 of 110
My wife has diabetes. This is the most significant software development in diabetes in the last 10 years. She has been manually typing in her glucose numbers in an app for long term tracking. To have this kind of automatic entry is great. BUT it's only a first step.
Glucose meters and insulin pumps need to all speak a common language or at least have a common network, ie Bluetooth. I think her insulin pump is RF and talks to her current meter, but of course it can't talk wirelessly to an iPhone, yet. Let's get bluetooth on pumps and meters ASAP!

I also want to see a desktop glucose tracking app to go along with the iPHone version.

Also please keep the discussion on topic of diabetes SW, no more critiques of how the presentation was.

Chris
post #51 of 110
Quote:

I am not holding it to a Steve Jobs level. I just don't think Anita has any public speaking training. Which isn't her fault unless she made to demo the SW by her J&J.

I don't think anyone is pooh-poohing the advantages that LifeScan can offer in bettering the quality of life of diabetics. IMO, it was just was just really, really bad way of presenting it.

If a really lousy presenter came on the stage with a cure for cancer would we care about the presentation? Sometimes the message is more important, I feel that is what the issue is here. Having said that I agree, yes J&J should be shot using her. Perhaps she was a last minute stand in ... she isn't related to Bobby Jindal is she? ... kidding ....
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #52 of 110
Quote:

Jesus... give the woman a break. The closeups on her hands showed that she was really nervous. You'd have done better?
And if you can't see past your own parochial needs to see what a breakthrough this kind of device is going to be for a TON of people, then I just feel sorry for you.
Go back to playing your sophomoric games.

Settle down, brother. Why on earth was she even there if she was so nervous? Not that I don't feel for her but in terms of marketing there is nothing worse than a lame presentation - for whatever reason. To have to sit through a dull presentation borders on insulting and it sure as hell ranks right up there among the most pointless own goals from a manufacturer to present themselves in this way. No matter what the product - if your presentation sucks you deserve the heat.
post #53 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Settle down, brother. Why on earth was she even there if she was so nervous? Not that I don't feel for her but in terms of marketing there is nothing worse than a lame presentation - for whatever reason. To have to sit through a dull presentation borders on insulting and it sure as hell ranks right up there among the most pointless own goals from a manufacturer to present themselves in this way. No matter what the product - if your presentation sucks you deserve the heat.

SuperMacGuy's post #50 says it all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #54 of 110
"A Big Platform" mentioned in this article is very insightful. I'm astonished how many Android and Windows Mobile evangelists are too optimistic about how the operating system they endorsed can run on multiple devices. Often times these Android/Windows Mobile evangelists will just naively take the historical fact how Windows can run on different laptops regardless of its brand as an example and apply that history to smartphones.

The thing is mobile phones and PC are vastly different in terms of how they are developed and evolved over the years. The essential architecture of PC (the narrow definition of PC) has always been regulated and strictly on x86. Even the I/O are pretty much regulated. PC has been using the same I/O, keyboard and mouse for example, for years until Tablet PC came along, which still didn't make much impact to the market. Given that how all the essential architecture are standardized in PC, Windows can run on any laptops regardless of what brand of that laptop might be without putting much effort.

On the other hand, no one is regulating any standards on smartphones. Smartphones can use totally different CPU Architectures from x86 to ARM to PowerPC. The I/O are vastly different as well. Some might use the old-style number pads, some might use the keyboards, and some might use touchscreens. Even if someone can miraculously develop an Android app that can run on any devices as long as that device is running Android, the user interface is not going to work. Just imagine how the Google Maps App on the iPhone will work on traditional Blackberry. It won't! The traditional Blackberry will need a Google Maps app with a different user interface that can utilized keyboards and scroll ball. Even different screen sizes and shapes will make a big impact. User interface designed for widescreen should be different than those designed for a square screen. User interface designed for small screen should be different that those designed for large screen.

In the end, even though one is developing an Android app, that app will not be able to run on all Android devices unless one customized the app for all kinds of different devices with different combination of specs. The "write once and run on different phones" concept which most Android and Windows Mobile evangelists dreamed of is not going to happen in the near future.
post #55 of 110
Quote:

If a really lousy presenter came on the stage with a cure for cancer would we care about the presentation? Sometimes the message is more important, I feel that is what the issue is here.

Yes, we would because it detracts from what is being said. Just like we are discussing the presentation now and not the long benefits of such apps on the iPhone.
post #56 of 110
Quote:

SuperMacGuy's post #50 says it all.

Yes Diabetes runs in my family so I have to be wary about it. I think the medical potential for the iPhone was glossed over.

I found that it was amazing to see the history of the glucose levels and easily be able to drill down and see why the levels were high/low. That type of information "at your fingertips" is very handy.

But I find the media at large to be more hardware centric. Some people had the nerve to write complaints that Apple didn't delve into any nextgen hardware features. It's a SDK 3.0 showing folks. Reading is fckn fundamental.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #57 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I found that it was amazing to see the history of the glucose levels and easily be able to drill down and see why the levels were high/low. That type of information "at your fingertips" is very handy.

I suspect this is just the very tip of the iceberg. There will probably be products this year for the iPhone OS being sold at your local pharmacy.

Quote:
But I find the media at large to be more hardware centric. Some people had the nerve to write complaints that Apple didn't delve into any nextgen hardware features. It's a SDK 3.0 showing folks. Reading is fckn fundamental.

I doubt that will ever change. SW seems to intangible to many that the HW is the only thing that is considered viable.
post #58 of 110
Consider that Jobs himself may have a vested interest in such a device. The Whipple Procedure he had is supposed to create Diabetes as a side effect.
post #59 of 110
Quote:

If a really lousy presenter came on the stage with a cure for cancer would we care about the presentation? Sometimes the message is more important, I feel that is what the issue is here. Having said that I agree, yes J&J should be shot using her. Perhaps she was a last minute stand in ... she isn't related to Bobby Jindal is she? ... kidding ....

That was my over-reactive point to Solipsism. My coffee has worn off now.
I just get frustrated when the whole emphasis is on style over content.

The external accessory things is going to be big.
I'm amazed I haven't seen the obvious Tricorder reference yet.
post #60 of 110
Quote:

Yes, we would because it detracts from what is being said. Just like we are discussing the presentation now and not the long benefits of such apps on the iPhone.

I look forward to the day to see if you are right. I can see it now ...

"My god did you see that terrible announcer talking about, what was it... oh yes, they discovered a cure for, what was it, oh yes cancer, jeez, he was a terrible speaker!"
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #61 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

I would absolutely hate if that happened. Nothing IMO wrecks a brand like when great companies start designing crappy products made by crappy manufacturers. Ferrari comes to mind with the junky Acer notebook in ferrari red. That is pure tacky. And Porsche making pens and glasses also tarnishes the brand IMO. Makes it cheap. "I can't afford a Porsche, so I'll get a Porsche pen".

Somehow I doubt Apple would take every offer.
I'm sure they would pick and choose who they choose to work with and on what products.
post #62 of 110
Don't worry, Apple will mess this up by changing the connector on the next version of the iPhone. How many dock connectors have they had on the iPods?

- Jasen.
post #63 of 110
I just want to make sure because I am getting conflicting reports. This 3.0 is designed to work on my Iphone 3G, and not just a future IPhone? Correct?
post #64 of 110
Quote:

That was my over-reactive point to Solipsism. My coffee has worn off now.

Quote:
I just get frustrated when the whole emphasis is on style over content.

I know what you mean but when it comes to presentations, style is part of the content. Or rather - style can kill the content. In this case you could argue that J&J sacrificed content over style. If they don't give a shit how their product is presented they probably don't care much about the product, either. If you love your product - show it! Diabetes is a boring subject. But so are a great many things. Contextualized it may take n meaning and importance. Contextualized in terms of medicine, technology and the massive financial cost (to society), and personal pain to millions,diabetes in not at all boring. Bring the iPhone into the picture and this could have been a great presentation.
post #65 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post

it seems that the imagination is the only limit to the iPhone
http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=29105

Here it measures frequency respons by Fast Fourier Transformation. FFT was pioneered by KEF in the 1970s then it costed millions of pounds in equipement.

This is just the reverse of what your iPod is doing all the time... Converting a FFT to audio (aka playing an mp3/aac/etc)...
post #66 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I'm done with AppleInsider. Is there some other website that provides timely rumors and updates about the Apple scene without the peddling to Apple stockholders, propaganda and BS journalism?

I mean seriously, the person asked for a redesigned, stylish blood glucose monitor, and somehow since the iPhone 3.0 SDK allows connecting an ugly external device with a bulky cable it's the "second coming"?!? And then there are the morons on this site who think that this is Apple innovating, because they're apparently too dense to realize people have been interfacing external devices/sensors to mobile computers (including the Newton) for over a decade (including for medical applications)? Something that a proper journalist would've researched and acknowledged?

A few of the articles on here the past week or so have been bottom of the barrel. Are there new writers, do the owners of AppleInsider have too much invested in Apple stock, or what's changed?

Good riddance.

If you had taken the time to read through the thread, you would know that you comment on the external device has already been commented on. By someone more intelligent than yourself.

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)

post #67 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is it really necessary to use Christian language and imagery like this in a story on a new iPhone feature?

Absolutely.

2009 is the bicentenary of Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of Species. Religion should be kept on a very tight leash.

I encourage all enlightened people, i.e., atheists, to take a step forward.

Best,

Daniel

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)

post #68 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Wasn't one of the barriers to a Tablet Mac something to do with reliability for medicine and hospital related use which was seen as one of the main markets for such a Mac?

If iPod Touches will now be used for medical monitoring and other functions wouldn't a larger TabletPod also find a place in that market now too?

actually you don't really need a tablet mac. the ipod touch and specialized software is all you need. that and a good wifi network in a hospital.

earlier this week my local Apple store ditched the back of the room check in computer for the bar and training appointments and now those orange shirts have an ipod touch on the belt. I walked in for my appointment and was greeted practically at the door and as the two of us walked to the bar, the guy whipped out his touched, logged in and marked me as having arrived for my appointment.

if that can be done, someone can come up with a group of specialized linked apps that could access medical history in a database, log in drug and treatment orders (including perhaps an app that checks existing meds and calculates drug doses so you lessen overdosing or conflict reactions), etc. all off a Touch.

when I was at that appointment in the store I overhead two sales people pondering when they would get their sales system on a touch with an attached credit card scanner so they could ditch the slow and nasty looking things they have now (which apparently run off some cobbled version of windows 3.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Surely J&J didn't slap that app together in two weeks though, right (as the intro suggested: "a couple weeks ago we asked some companies to see what they could do with the new SDK")?

actually they might have. but now they have 3-4 months before 3.0 comes out to give the program working.

Quote:

Why on earth was she even there if she was so nervous? Not that I don't feel for her but in terms of marketing there is nothing worse than a lame presentation

cut the woman some slack. she went up there to present something that wasn't all cool and slick and even with tons of practice, anyone can freeze when they go into the room and see dozens of faces staring back.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #69 of 110
"The pundits who mocked the device as the "Jesus Phone" are now experiencing its second coming."
Nice touch! Great analysis. The hardware interfacing will blow people away. I'd like to see a camera control App where I hook the iPhone to my camera, and I can control the camera just as I can now with my laptop.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #70 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Absolutely.

2009 is the bicentenary of Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of Species. Religion should be kept on a very tight leash.

Best,

Daniel

Thank God* you enlightened people are here to save us all from ourselves. Why, now that we're all enlightened we can make the world a better place. No one has ever thought these things before. Indeed, we can now be so tolerant of people in ways that ignorant religious folk never were - well, except for religious folk of course. No tolerating their beliefs, since we're so obviously right about everything.

What, you mean we're not the first generation to think we had it all figured out? You mean people have been claiming for thousands of years that they were right and everyone else was wrong?

Seriously, religious bigotry is annoying and wrong - on BOTH sides. Thanks for not helping the conversation, Daniel.

*pun intended
post #71 of 110
Quote:

Explain to me why I can't comment on a poorly prepared and presented demonstration simply because the product is good and ignoble.

Fair point but learn what "ignoble" means - the opposite of what you think.
post #72 of 110
HITLER!

There - just thought I'd save this thread some time.

Back on topic...
post #73 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Second coming, indeed.

I'm not even betting on the first coming, let alone the second.
post #74 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Don't worry, Apple will mess this up by changing the connector on the next version of the iPhone. How many dock connectors have they had on the iPods?

- Jasen.

There's been one iPod Dock connector. Prior to that, it used a Firewire port to sync and charge.

The Dock Connector is just a 30 pin repackaging of Firewire, USB, stereo audio in and out, composite and component video, and some control pins. That makes it trivial to plug a USB device into it, as you just sort out the four wires. There are also some blank placeholders that can be used to accommodate future devices, such as support for USB 3.0. At some point, the wires used by FW can be repurposed for other things too, meaning that there's no reason to replace the standard Dock Connector any time soon.

Apple has already made some changes to the pin assignments, shifting from S-Video and composite to composite and component (with some wire sharing going on) to allow for HD video output.

Future devices could also reuse wires as needed, to say, put signals on one set of wires, then reconfigure to support a different signal on the same wires. There might be a point where some features of old Docks stop working (as the video changes caused), but the Dock Connector itself isn't needing to change.

In contrast, every hardware maker puts random stuff on various models. Microsoft invented its own connector for Zune, but it didn't share any similarity with any of the PFS devices.
post #75 of 110
Quote:

Yup..hit the nail on the head there!

post #76 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yup..hit the nail on the head there!

Not, actually. If my kid had diabetes I would have listened with great interest, then groaned at the crappy presentation.
post #77 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Absolutely.

Best,

Daniel

I step forward

I look forward to the day a non-believer can actually run for any office in the USA and admit it. At least science is allowed again here after 8 years.

... back to the iPhone
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #78 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if that can be done, someone can come up with a group of specialized linked apps that could access medical history in a database, log in drug and treatment orders (including perhaps an app that checks existing meds and calculates drug doses so you lessen overdosing or conflict reactions), etc. all off a Touch.

The new US administration has a stated objective of reducing healthcare costs through
automation of medical records. Apple appears to be well positioned to profit from this
with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I wonder if they have any board members who could lobby for them
post #79 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The new US administration has a stated objective of reducing healthcare costs through
automation of medical records. Apple appears to be well positioned to profit from this
with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I wonder if they have any board members who could lobby for them

I hope they don't need lobbyists, common sense may be back in vogue It would me an incredible move forward. Hopefully they can overcome the gun toting', bible quoting red necks who will be screaming invasion of privacy.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #80 of 110
Quote:

Not, actually. If my kid had diabetes I would have listened with great interest, then groaned at the crappy presentation.

Na! You'd have been on the iPhone to tell your family as soon as it was over and never even noticed the style of the delivery. Come on, if the judge just told you the verdict was 'not guilty' would you want to debate his delivery?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › "Jesus Phone 3.0" touches diabetic blogger