or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued for promoting iPhone as eBook reader

Apple sued for promoting iPhone as eBook reader - Page 3

post #81 of 85
It seems like there are so many examples of prior art it is a puzzle why this even got to court. In addition to the Knowledge Navigator (my favorite) and the Newton and the Sony I have vague recollections of some little portable LCD gadget that would present books on ROM cartridges. This had to be in the late 1980s. Most of the books were dictionaries and other reference works.

Here is an article from 1991 referencing Alan Kay talking about electronic books in 1971. It also describes other electronic books including this:

"Bob Stein, a partner in Voyager, said the company chose Apple's new portables because with Macintosh software it is possible to design books with animated drawings, sound effects, and so-called hypertext links, which let readers jump directly to related passages. "Apple, completely unintentionally, created the first electronic book," he said.

The first titles include "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," a science-fiction trilogy by Douglas Adams, "Jurassic Park," a technological thriller by Michael Crichton, and Martin Gardner's annotated version of "Alice in Wonderland." Priced at $19.95, each will come on a single floppy disk and will display one page of text at a time."

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/29/we...pagewanted=all

Another interesting link:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

Quote:
"Franklin Electronic Publishers, Inc. created the handheld electronic book category in 1986 with the introduction of the Spelling Ace electronic spelling corrector. Electronic books instantly retrieve information for viewing on a liquid crystal display. Users can access this data anywhere--at home, at the office, or while traveling. The Company offers an extensive electronic library including dictionaries and bilingual dictionaries; Bibles; medical reference works; encyclopedias; and entertainment, educational and tutorial publications."

So in 1986 Franklin was selling a device with an LCD display that presented books from ROM.

I bet some of those lawyers suing Apple were still playing street baseball when this prior art was on the market.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Exactly. Kindle is sold specifically as a book-reading device, the iPhone is not.

Sounds like a load of arse to me.

Maybe because Kindle is not touch screen, nor is LCD at all..?
post #83 of 85
I think suing Apple because the iPhone can display ebooks is insane. I have been reading ebooks on a Windows Mobile enabled smartphone since a couple of years before the first iPhones became available in the United States. Why would Switzerland-based MONEC Holding Ltd accuse Apple of patent infringement when any smartphone capable of running PDF or CHM reading software makes an effective ebook reader?
post #84 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyXavier View Post

I think suing Apple because the iPhone can display ebooks is insane. I have been reading ebooks on a Windows Mobile enabled smartphone since a couple of years before the first iPhones became available in the United States. Why would Switzerland-based MONEC Holding Ltd accuse Apple of patent infringement when any smartphone capable of running PDF or CHM reading software makes an effective ebook reader?

...because it's owned by Bill Gates???*

*the conjecture in the above post is fictional, any resemblance to any character either living or dead is purely unintentiional.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

No LCD screen, they use e-paper.

Awesome answer! Bwahahahaha!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued for promoting iPhone as eBook reader