or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to attack Mac pricing in new series of TV ads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft to attack Mac pricing in new series of TV ads - Page 6

post #201 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Anyone else think that Microsoft is looking desperate for a company with a majority marketshare? How many ad campaigns for windows have we seen since Apple launched the "I'm a PC" campaign? If anything, I'd say Apple seems to be winning on some fronts, because in the old says MS would shrug off Apple's ads. Its actually kind of pathetic.

In regards to the ad, it just relates to the price on the box, not what's inside. All I know is the woman wanted a 17 laptop, that's it. On top of that, the commercial is, if anything, for an HP computer with unknown stats. MS is shilling for hardware they don't make - which, if anything, is the advantage of Apple. Sure, the fact that they control the whole Mac ecosystem is bad from a competitive pricing standpoint, but it means that everything works. It also means that this woman likely had to spend a ton of time at home messing with bloatware when she got back from her shopping trip.

And I do feel that you get what you pay for. I just replaced my 10 year old G4 and my 7 year old iBook with a Macbook Pro. WHy? because they were getting dated and slow. But they still worked and were solid. At my last job I had a Toshiba Tecra. Not only did the OS grind down over a year, but the screws kept falling out of the bottom. I'd rather spend 2K every 5-10 years than 1K every 2 years. And I know upgrades can keep a PC running longer, but she bought a laptop which is limited in regards to upgrades, but also, if she is a typical consumer, then she likely won't upgrade anyway.

But what I really take away from the ads is that PCs aren't "inexpensive" or "affordable", but "cheap", which is a word I don't like when I buy things. "cheap" might mean low cost, but it also implies lack of quality and durability.

I also like the fact that I am considered cool because of my Mac. I didn't say it, the woman in the MS commercial did.

Edit: also, anyone else have the gut feeling that the agency made the ad on a mac?

I remember buying a Dell Inspiron with warranty in 2005 for over 2000 dollars, 1 year later it was half dead, with the battery not charging and the hinge almost falling off. After this I vowed never to buy another PC, even if I don't have the money for a Mac, I would rather save than go use another PC.
post #202 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Because they are scared, I mean I thought people said Apple was only at 3% worlwide and Microsoft had like 96%, why are they wasting their time on such a small segment, that is a blip on their radar. I guess they do feel the heat Apple lit under them.

I believe Apple is more like 8% now in new sales and growing. It has a much higher percent of laptops over $1500.

They are in a panic mode because they are losing monopoly status and actually have to respond to customers now! This comes from years of being fat lazy hogs who dished out whatever they wanted to give with no concern for customers whatsoever. Did any of us really want to buy a PC with no Windows CD? Did we have a choice? Like the old joke about Windows phone support, just get a parrot that says "Reinstall Windows! Reinstall Windows!"
post #203 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I love how Microsoft doesn't assign value to their operating system.

It's just a featureless component at the heart of a collection of cheap technologies. This is exactly what they want. They want consumers to walk in with a laundry list of features and shop based on these features because they know at Best Buy they are on %95 of all computers.

With Apple they promote what you can do with your computer and the funny thing is that everytime you see an Apple product odds are the users behind the product enjoy and leverage their product in the form of consuming content.

iPhone users regarless of their computing platform consume a lot of software. Mac users buy a disproportionate amount of software.

So when I see some obsessing about the "little" stuff like eSATA ports or card readers it strikes me as odd because the real crux of efficiency is the OS and Vista and it's replacement Windows 7 cannot match Apple I don't give a damn what anyone says.

Mac users pay a premium to compute on OS X ...Windows is there by default and for years companies and users alike were downgrading Vista boxes to XP. That speaks volumes as to how they value Microsoft's OS.

Amen Murch! As a systems administrator of over 20,000 windows sets, I wholeheartedly agree that Apple is light years ahead in terms of their OS.

Vista is an abomination...and already our enterprise is waiting anxiously to hop onto Windows 7 in hopes that it will improve our OS situation. Unfortunately, with my short time with Windows 7, it doesn't appear to be any type of savior. It looks and feels like Vista, albeit a bit snappier. Regardless, I'm waiting to see what Snow Leopard will bring, as I'm thinking it will beat Windows 7 hands down.

By the way, did they included the price of Virus software, Anti-spyware software, the cost of the third party applications that will allow you to view DVD movies, the cost of video chat software and hardware as well as the price of the software that it will take to make movies, DVDs, music, etc. that Mac has built-in? No, of course not. That's how all the PC makers do it. It's classic bait. Get you into the door with a stripped down POS PC that costs less, but in order for it to be as capable as a Mac, it will end up costing you even more. The comparison the ad attempts to make is off the charts, crazy.
post #204 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain can download Picasa for free.



Apple isn't pricing themselves comparable to the market but rather out of the market. Their current customers will justify the price because of the experience but they need new blood all the time as does any platform. The kid buying his first laptop for college isn't going to drop $2500 versus $800 on an unknown. They don't have the money to purchase twice if they have made a mistake. Apple needs something to hook them in at a reasonable price. They used to do it with proprietary hardware that might not have even benefitted from the economics of scale. How they do have those advantages and still just run up the price.

You are partially right. College kids are not buying MacBook Pros for $2500. They are buying Macbooks for $1000-$1400 in droves. The Macs are more popular with this age group probably than any others. My daughter came to me after using a crappy Toshiba laptop (that cost $1600 and failed in less than 2 years) and asked to get a Mac. We did. She is happy.
post #205 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

By the way, did they included the price of Virus software, Anti-spyware software, the cost of the third party applications that will allow you to view DVD movies, the cost of video chat software and hardware as well as the price of the software that it will take to make movies, DVDs, music, etc. that Mac has built-in?

And what about the people who don't care about any of that and don't want to be forced to pay for stuff they're not going to use? I know people who don't use any of that stuff.
post #206 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

... Doing so would DESTROY the brand loyalty the company has rightfully acquired over the past three decades. They'll do just fine continuing to sell "relatively" expensive computers which are routinely deemed to be worth the price many times over.

It's actually about money. Apple simply spends more of it in design, development, and manufacturing. If they lower prices they will cut funding of all three. It can't come out of their margins because the stock would tank.

It would just be a really dumb move.

Also, can you believe these arguments about "poor college kids"? Give me a break. The cost of a Mac is trivial next to that of a college education.
post #207 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Yawn.

For someone bored with this subject, you sure do have a lot to say about it.

Jack*ss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

This is the add, utterly useless:

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co..._at_apple.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Last time I checked Macs have always cost more than a PC so what is your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

We've been hearing from people that Apple is irrelevant to Microsoft and Microsoft has 95% of the market, guess they must be feeling heat from Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I agree, it shows that she really wants a mac but since she can't afford one, she has to settle for something cheaper. I guess that's what Microsoft wants to associate themselves with, cheap. This may actually help Apple, if people want the real thing you you go with Macs, if you want fakes, you go with PC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

The days of selling computers on speed/ram/hard drive are over. Heck even the Mac Mini is good for most people. For example I recently took my mom to the Apple store and the first question they asked us wasn't how much ram, hard drive, or processor we need but what ow were we looking to do with the computer, what software we need, this is how computers are being sold and not specs. When you go to the Apple store, they put more emphasis on software instead of specs. The days of buying on specs is coming to an end. Most computers available are fast enough for the majority of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for putting out that disaster Vista, did you see the satisfaction rates posted for Vista, what a disgrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Im watching the sweet 16 and they just showed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Looking at those satisfaction rates for Vista, I would say you are in the minority for Vista users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I don't trust any of them, I want to see Apple's data before saying anything, the same people have been saying Mac sales have been falling for well over year but Apple keeps announcing record profits and sales.

If Microsoft is selling so many notebooks, why did they just lay of 5000 people, I guess they are also being affected by this so called depressions. Seems they aren't kicking Apple while they are down. What about Microsoft OEM's like Dell and HP who are seeing their profits drop, I thought they were all doing fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So a 200 dollar netbook is equivalent to a Macbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

We will see what Windows 7 turns out to be, hope it's not like the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Because they are scared, I mean I thought people said Apple was only at 3% worlwide and Microsoft had like 96%, why are they wasting their time on such a small segment, that is a blip on their radar. I guess they do feel the heat Apple lit under them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I remember buying a Dell Inspiron with warranty in 2005 for over 2000 dollars, 1 year later it was half dead, with the battery not charging and the hinge almost falling off. After this I vowed never to buy another PC, even if I don't have the money for a Mac, I would rather save than go use another PC.
post #208 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And what about the people who don't care about any of that and don't want to be forced to pay for stuff they're not going to use? I know people who don't use any of that stuff.

If they don't use any of that stuff and they own a Mac, what are they using it for? I find that hard to believe. As a graphic designer who uses every high level software application out there including Final Cut Studio, Adobe CS4, Cinema, you name it, I still use every single included Apple software package as well.
post #209 of 331
Wow not like I wouldn't expect appleinsider to be biased but I have to wonder if any of you have even used a PC before based off your responses. I have a two laptops, a mac and a PC. I'm using my pc right now as I do for everything other than graphic design and recharging my ipod. I can use just about any software or games I want on my PC, while Mac gives me shit if I even set a piece of incompatible software withing three feet of it's keyboard. The PC cost me about 600 bucks. I've never had to pay a cent more and I've had it for over a year, the Mac cost me over $1500 and I when I use it, it's for the most boring mundane stuff. I use the PC when I want to be entertained.

Not really sure why mac users get their panties in a bunch every time microsoft calls em out, it's like listening to my gf explain why she absolutely had to buy a 1200 purse.
post #210 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And what about the people who don't care about any of that and don't want to be forced to pay for stuff they're not going to use? I know people who don't use any of that stuff.

Not going to use? AntiVirus and Anti-spyware? Really? On a Windows machine? Good luck with the people you know if their not using AntiVirus to protect themselves. Tell them come April 1st, they'll have a nice nightmare on their hands with the Conficker virus. And none of the people you know try to play a DVD movie on their laptop before? Friends don't watch movies I take it? I know plenty of people I know who are downright pissed when they find out that they have to go get PowerDVD, WinDVD, or Nero Showtime. That's extra cash Microsoft doesn't feel the need to tell you about in these types of ads.

I think more of your point was going toward the suite of iLife applications. In my mind, it is nice to have an OS handle all of these tasks natively out of the box.

And don't get me started on all the different flavors of the Microsoft OS there is...what a cluster f---. Are they purposely trying to confuse consumers? And, I might add, most of the time on these PCs, not all of the drivers are 100% functional. To the HP internet site you go searching for working drivers...that is, if you're lucky enough to have a working network driver.
post #211 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Amen Murch! As a systems administrator of over 20,000 windows sets, I wholeheartedly agree that Apple is light years ahead in terms of their OS.

Vista is an abomination...and already our enterprise is waiting anxiously to hop onto Windows 7 in hopes that it will improve our OS situation. Unfortunately, with my short time with Windows 7, it doesn't appear to be any type of savior. It looks and feels like Vista, albeit a bit snappier. Regardless, I'm waiting to see what Snow Leopard will bring, as I'm thinking it will beat Windows 7 hands down.

Yup and I actually think Snow Leopard Server is going to be pretty good too not because it's going to support ZFS but because we're getting second generation iCal, Spotlight and other core tools. I can't wait.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #212 of 331
They're right. Since Windows is hardware agnostic and there are more companies making systems that run it, there is more price competition. Apple can't justify more system options running OSX because its not in their business interest. Its just a fact and its not a new one. MS has finally successfully exploited that fact in their advertising. That fact is what made it so hard for me to choose a Mac as my last computer purchase and, even when I did, I still had trouble with iPhoto corrupting and deleting all my vacation photos. Only the fact that I'd backed them up to DVD on my work PC before deleting them from the memory card saved me (time machine wasn't out, yet). Even after having the system replaced since Apple couldn't fix it, I continue to have unrelated technical issues with iPhoto. All software has bugs and all assembly lines have less than 100% quality. All the nifty design in the world didn't prevent that near loss for me. So why pay more?

Regardless of what I could afford, it feels ostentatious to blow two grand or more on a computer right now as I watch businesses close left and right and talk to family members who have lost their jobs. As ugly as they are, this is the economy for beige boxes.
post #213 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

No, they will not. Lack of MDI, maximize/minimize buttons on another side, much narrower variety of software to steal, etc, etc... It's a real PITA after years of PC experience. It takes the entire brain and years and years again to understand where and why Mac is better...

I'm not saying Macs are for everyone. My point is that the extra money you pay is worth not having all the headaches that go with Windows. Most general computing doesn't need access to MDI files, and the argument about the close button being on the other side is silly.
My 60 year old mother bought an iMac after years of PC use (in the professional setting) and loves it. It took her all of a week to get used the UI.
Besides, if you need full Windows compatibility, install Windows on it.
post #214 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post

Wow not like I wouldn't expect appleinsider to be biased but I have to wonder if any of you have even used a PC before based off your responses.

Yes.

Many of us have switched from Windows. Most Mac users are intimately familiar with the Windows "experience", which is why we left it in the first place. Chances are, we're forced to use them at work and fix Windows issues for friends and family.

In fact, Mac users are by far the more informed group. Anyone can drop into a Best Buy and grab the cheapest PC that runs Windows. Most people do. It takes an informed user to go against the grain, however, and actively choose a Mac.
post #215 of 331
PC User talks about what cool doohickey's came with their PC.

Mac user talks about what cool stuff they were able to do with their Mac


The former only cares about the doohickey and the most at the lowest price wins.
The latter cares about efficiency and workflow and production.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #216 of 331
Apparently a lot of people failed to see the sarcasm in the "I guess I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person" line.

In any event, I don't have the time to run through 6 pages right now, but I do think that the Lauren ad does make one good point... That it's pretty ridiculous not to have a 17" laptop under $2800.

Or not to have a 15" laptop under $2000 for that matter.
post #217 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Yup. Who do you think this ad benefited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz78v4euRd0

One hint, not Apple!

The difference is that Pentium was the established player in the market at the time, so there logo was all over the place anyways. Apple introducing it does nothing for Intel.

Apple is barely a bit player in the laptop market. Microsoft just legitimized them as competition, although they are way behind...Thats a HUGE mistake, IMO.
post #218 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post

Wow not like I wouldn't expect appleinsider to be biased but I have to wonder if any of you have even used a PC before based off your responses. I have a two laptops, a mac and a PC. I'm using my pc right now as I do for everything other than graphic design and recharging my ipod. I can use just about any software or games I want on my PC, while Mac gives me shit if I even set a piece of incompatible software withing three feet of it's keyboard. The PC cost me about 600 bucks. I've never had to pay a cent more and I've had it for over a year, the Mac cost me over $1500 and I when I use it, it's for the most boring mundane stuff. I use the PC when I want to be entertained.

Not really sure why mac users get their panties in a bunch every time microsoft calls em out, it's like listening to my gf explain why she absolutely had to buy a 1200 purse.

Troll Alert...Troll Alert...WWWOOOOTTTT WWWWOOOOTTTT!!!!
post #219 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes.

Many of us have switched from Windows. Most Mac users are intimately familiar with the Windows "experience", which is why we left it in the first place. Chances are, we're forced to use them at work and fix Windows issues for friends and family.

In fact, Mac users are by far the more informed group. Anyone can drop into a Best Buy and grab the cheapest PC that runs Windows. Most people do. It takes an informed user to go against the grain, however, and actively choose a Mac.

I couldn't agree more. Those who claim PCs are for some reason superior most likely have never used a Mac for more than 5 minutes, let alone owned one. I myself have owned and used both Macs and PCs for over 20 years. As a web developer I am forced to have a PC for testing purposes and as someone (in my opinion being very well informed of both platforms) who uses both a on daily basis, I can say without hesitation that the Macintosh is by far and away the better machine, not just in terms of quality of hardware, but software as well. Everything just works, and works without having to install 15 drivers and reboot 43 times. Cheap does not mean better folks. I hate that everyone always uses the price of a Mac as it's weakness when in fact the Mac, part for part is the same if not cheaper than an equally equipped PC. Compare apples to apple (no pun intended) when making a comparison, not apples to raisins.

Mark my words PC peeps, Microsoft Windows is going the way of the Betamax cassette.
post #220 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apparently the woman isn't EVEN a real shopper necessarily but actually an actress.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/200...-microsoft-ads

(Not that actresses can't shop, but...)

For those too lazy to click on the link:
But here’s my favorite part from Andrea James’s report on the ad campaign for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Lauren is, apparently, a “real” person and not an actress. She works as an office manager but is also a member of the Screen Actors Guild.

I’m sure all sorts of people who aren’t actors are members of the Screen Actors Guild. Some people join unions just for fun. Update: AP reporter Jessica Mintz says Lauren is an actress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surur View Post

Remember people, Apple notebook sales are dropping while Windows notebook sales are increasing.
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...soft_oems.html

Maybe now is the wrong time to be a premium brand.

We shall see.

If you read all the data, Jan. is weak and Feb. is a bad point for Apple, but still kicking butt in the latter months of '08. So open for grabs whether we're seeing a trend or an "exogenous glitch" influenced by other factors.

Sales of notebooks after Snow Leopard and Win 7 are released will be more important data points. And an Apple entry in the between-iPhone-and-MacBook (the "not a netbook" machine) will further reshuffle the deck.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #221 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

They jack them up by at least 20% here in the UK. And that isn't all stering either.

Yes but the fact is that IT IS all down to exchange rates and you constantly moaning about Apple's UK prices will not change the fact that we are in a global recession and the UK pound is in the crapper.

EG. Apple's recent desktop update. Yes the UK prices went up... but .... at today's ex rate.... and less vat (sales tax) ... the average cost is actually cheaper than the US dollar value.

You couldn't have said that a year ago. You think other US companys are different? Go buy a Dell Adamo at the UK site. It will cost you 70 dollars more plus the vat!

exchange rate:

March 2009 £1.00 = $ 1.43
March 2008 £1.00 = $ 2.01

Do you see the difference Lemon?
post #222 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Im sure all sorts of people who arent actors are members of the Screen Actors Guild.


Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post


Some people join unions just for fun.

post #223 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

Apparently a lot of people failed to see the sarcasm in the "I guess I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person" line.

In any event, I don't have the time to run through 6 pages right now, but I do think that the Lauren ad does make one good point... That it's pretty ridiculous not to have a 17" laptop under $2800.

Or not to have a 15" laptop under $2000 for that matter.

A laptop that runs OS X is completely different from a Windows-based laptop.
post #224 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

Or not to have a 15" laptop under $2000 for that matter.

15-inch MBP stock $1999....no sales tax in delaware (or oregon, apparently!)

post #225 of 331
Another reason not to get a Windows PC. Just got this warning from our university IT department.

http://www.crn.com/security/216400017
post #226 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A laptop that runs OS X is completely different from a Windows-based laptop.

What does the OS have to do with the gaping holes in the hardware lineup that I was pointing out?
post #227 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

15-inch MBP stock $1999....no sales tax in delaware (or oregon, apparently!)


Err, you seem to have taken my comment out of context. My point was that it is ridiculous that the cheapest 15" laptop is $2000.
post #228 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I think you completely missed the "last November" part. The then Mini had shit graphics, shit HD, next to no RAM for the money, and not even a DVD burner for $600. I know, because that's the same Mini I have, but got in Dec 07, but in no way, could I recommend that for her at that time.

Plus, the Dell had a built-in card reader, so all she has to do, is stick the memory card into the reader.

At the time, OSX would've been fine, but iLife wasn't worth it, and all she really uses her computer for, is e-mail, web, storing photos, and Freecell. What could an overpriced Mini do that a Dell couldn't, especially considering most of time is spent in a web browser, for that, the OS is irrelevant.

As for lasting for years, the last PC I built for her, lasted about 5 years, cost about $900 at the time, including an LCD monitor, and a quiet Antec Sonata case, as that's what she wanted. I think I can count on one hand, the number of crashes she ever had with it, maybe 3 or 4. And it was running an Nvidia FX5500 at the very end, which she never, ever noticed was even there.

Freecell, web, e-mail, and pictures. That's all my mom has ever really used her PC for. If people think that it has to be on a $1000+ computer anymore, with a particular OS, they're just crazy.

It's funny to have "a PC" on here. I like the "balance" in the forum... They just don't get it. Amazing.
post #229 of 331
I think the fact of the matter in regards to this campaign here is, for most people, it does make more sense to buy a PC. Why? Not because they are necessarily better (despite the fact they will run just about anything you want them to while macs run what apple wants them to), but because the average user doesn't need all the fancy shmancy extra hardware that allows macs to outperform PCs in the graphics department.

This new add campaign is perfect because it really does speak to those not cool (or trendy) enough to buy a computer they really don't need. Even if you people do treat your PC's poorly enough that they only last 1/3 the amount of time a mac does, you can buy 3 brand new PC's in the amount of time it takes for your mac to break down, for the same price as that one mac, and that mac is still going to be outdated after a couple years anyway.

Posting PC pros on an apple board, I guess that makes me a troll lol.
post #230 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post


Wrong.




I wouldn't think you'd have trouble grasping sarcasm Wilco.
post #231 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

I'm not saying Macs are for everyone. My point is that the extra money you pay is worth not having all the headaches that go with Windows.

Seconded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

Most general computing doesn't need access to MDI files

MDI is not a file type. It stands for Multi-document Interface. It is convenient for quite a number of tasks. It's just Mac OS user experience that doesn't excel in this branch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

, and the argument about the close button being on the other side is silly.

No it's not. At least it isn't sillier than your mantras on how Mac OS user experience is easy to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

My 60 year old mother bought an iMac after years of PC use (in the professional setting) and loves it. It took her all of a week to get used the UI.

Normal. Nobody asks her to use UI at the speed of typist or coder. She got plenty of time to think of how to make what she loves.
She's not alone in love with Mac. I do love Mac. But I love it rationally. Unlike you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

Besides, if you need full Windows compatibility, install Windows on it.

Oops! Interesting enough, why do Mac addicts talk so much about BootCamp, MS Office for Mac OS, Linux applications under Mac OS? Please get over it. No MS Office on my Macs, no linux crap, never used BootCamp in my life. I know what to love Mac for. Pure love.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #232 of 331
This may be a bit of a stretch, but wouldn't it be a much better investment to buy a mac in the current economic climate?

For example, I have an iBook G4 with 512 mb RAM, and I broke the screen on it. The laptop is 4 years old. My sister bought a Dell for the same price, albeit 3 years later, and the thing is slow and dying already. 4+ years out of $1200 or 1 1/2 years out of $1200? I think I'll take the former.
post #233 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post

I think the fact of the matter in regards to this campaign here is, for most people, it does make more sense to buy a PC. Why? Not because they are necessarily better (despite the fact they will run just about anything you want them to while macs run what apple wants them to), but because the average user doesn't need all the fancy shmancy extra hardware that allows macs to outperform PCs in the graphics department.

This new add campaign is perfect because it really does speak to those not cool (or trendy) enough to buy a computer they really don't need. Even if you people do treat your PC's poorly enough that they only last 1/3 the amount of time a mac does, you can buy 3 brand new PC's in the amount of time it takes for your mac to break down, for the same price as that one mac, and that mac is still going to be outdated after a couple years anyway.

Posting PC pros on an apple board, I guess that makes me a troll lol.

That's great, so Microsoft is targeting the very people who were never interested in a Mac to begin with. Brilliant.
post #234 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

This may be a bit of a stretch, but wouldn't it be a much better investment to buy a mac in the current economic climate?

For example, I have an iBook G4 with 512 mb RAM, and I broke the screen on it. The laptop is 4 years old. My sister bought a Dell for the same price, albeit 3 years later, and the thing is slow and dying already. 4+ years out of $1200 or 1 1/2 years out of $1200? I think I'll take the former.

exactly. As someone else may have posted much earlier, I'd tell "lauren" to take the $1000 and buy a used MBP on ebay.
post #235 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I do love Mac. But I love it rationally....I know what to love Mac for. Pure love.

Haha!
post #236 of 331
Higher prices help keep the proletariat out of our little ecosystem of pure breeds.

I'm kidding, of course... or am I?
post #237 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Haha!

a-ha.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #238 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassara View Post

Higher prices help keep the proletariat out of our little ecosystem of pure breeds.

I'm kidding, of course... or am I?

HAH! Well put!
post #239 of 331
Funny to think that the ad agency Microsoft just hired to trash Apple runs Macs and edits all their campaigns on Final Cut Pro. Apple did a story on them a few years ago.
post #240 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

What about the Apple III? Quality? LOL. Come on. They ain't perfect, and have put out some bad products.

I will gladly pay extra for the lack of headaches with using OS X. No wondering what is going to break and disable the machine when installing the latest updates or antivirus software. Easily sharing a printer even to Windows machines ... seamlessly fitting in in a Windows network ...

Besides, I love Unix! I have had a Linux machine for 12 years.

Hey! Don't knock the Apple ///! Once you learned just where to thump it the things worked great. I loved my massive 5 MB Profile hard drive and what about S.O.S. ? Now that was an OS! Visicalc /// was amazing as was P.F.S. ///. Oh such memories ... Only my Lisa finally drew me away ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to attack Mac pricing in new series of TV ads