or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Skype for iPhone to hit the App Store on Tuesday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skype for iPhone to hit the App Store on Tuesday - Page 2

post #41 of 75
The iPhone's web share is nearly twice the web share of Symbian, Android, RIM, Palm, WinMo all combined. Under these circumstances the carriers will have different rules for the iPhone.

Its likely that Skype for the iPhone will become its most used mobile client. And carriers won't want to give away unlimited bandwidth for another companies VoIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Other than AT&T, which operators are you talking about? Are the operators limiting Nokia, LG, Motorola, SonyEricsson from using VoIP apps? Survey says: NO!!! Typical spurious answer for a basic shortcoming.
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The iPhone's web share is nearly twice the web share of Symbian, Android, RIM, Palm, WinMo all combined. Under these circumstances the carriers will have different rules for the iPhone.

Its likely that Skype for the iPhone will become its most used mobile client. And carriers won't want to give away unlimited bandwidth for another companies VoIP.

Let the tap dance music begin.....

You still did not address the fact operators around the world are letting Skype, Gizmo5, Truphone, etc.... just run wild on their networks, so I would say that your argument it more along the Apple apologist/excuse making lines than based in anything actual. Also, your "facts" are based on the US where the rest of the world has been using data for years and years.
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, what's your point? That Apple is responsible? ATT? Apple+ATT? If (1) or (3) why would having a Skype-type app on 3G or not matter for Apple? If anything, Apple would sell more iPhones by providing additional choices for voice-calling?

It would be nice if you could stop arguing and make your point.

I thought my point was made. Was it too complicated for you to understand? My original post was aimed at someone else and you jumped in the middle. Maybe you should go back and read then post for a position of understanding.
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I thought my point was made. Was it too complicated for you to understand? My original post was aimed at someone else and you jumped in the middle. Maybe you should go back and read then post for a position of understanding.

What 'original' point? You had a comment on some workaround, then on Truphone, then said ".....Took only a year to do something that is pretty basic. Is complaining about only being allowed to use wifi to make VoIP calls still allowed though?"

"Took" who? "Pretty basic," yes, but why do you think that was the case (considering there are lots of other non-basic apps for the iPhone)? "Compaining ....about only ..... wifi.... still allowed..." Obviously that's a rhetorical question, right?

I could go on, man. Chill out. You are not making any sense, since you seem quite caught up with anger over something or the other.

PS: Welcome back (I guess)....
post #45 of 75
I did address that. The web share of most mobile phone platforms are around 2% - 6%. Thats extremely small and is not all that wild. Once mobile platforms begin to compete with desktop web share, the carriers will be more strict with its bandwidth. The iPhone has half the web share of Linux.

It doesn't matter how long data as been available. What matters is the amount of data being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Let the tap dance music begin.....

You still did not address the fact operators around the world are letting Skype, Gizmo5, Truphone, etc.... just run wild on their networks, so I would say that your argument it more along the Apple apologist/excuse making lines than based in anything actual. Also, your "facts" are based on the US where the rest of the world has been using data for years and years.
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Are you really saying Skype is the first decent App for the iPhone?

Do you really care what the guy thinks? The endless bitching is quite tiring.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I did address that. The web share of most mobile phone platforms are around 2% - 6%. Thats extremely small and is not all that wild. Once mobile platforms begin to compete with desktop web share, the carriers will be more strict with its bandwidth. The iPhone has half the web share of Linux.

It doesn't matter how long data as been available. What matters is the amount of data being used.

Are we talking about the same things here. While I am not currently in other parts of Europe I can say with assurance that operators outside of the US are pushing data hard. Selling data plans with net PC's so your data theories are not making any sense. It seems that only the US operators are the ones hung up on data usage and trying to bilk their customers for as much as they can. I have an unlimited data plan with no caps, all the data I can eat. I can even cancel my DSL contact and use wireless data ALL THE TIME, so once again, your data arguments do not hold water. Apple is maybe a passive partner to AT&T's willingness to rip off the customer and you don't seem to mind, but if you are happy with it, so am I.
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do you really care what the guy thinks? The endless bitching is quite tiring.

While I hardly agree with anything you post, I do have to say that there are far less useful apps than useful ones in the App Store but to call Skype the first useful app is a bit OTT and without merit.
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do you really care what the guy thinks? The endless bitching is quite tiring.

I just asked a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I do have to say that there are far less useful apps than useful ones in the App Store....

You would have to go through all 30,000 to know this for sure. Also what may be useful for one may not be useful for another.
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I just asked a question.



You would have to go through all 30,000 to know this for sure. Also what may be useful for one may not be useful for another.

Agreed. Too bad there is no try before you buy option.
post #51 of 75
Can't get it to launch without crashing. Deleted the app and re-purchased and re-downloaded again from my Mac, and again it crashes before it lets me add my login details.

And yes, I deleted it everywhere and restarted my phone before re-adding it. No luck
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #52 of 75
Tried it with JoikuSpot (Nokia E71), and my iPhone. Skype thinks that it is connected to a wifi network while JoikuSpot does the heavy lifting via the 3G network. Sound quality is pretty good.
post #53 of 75
I can login but it crashes after a minute or two. I never got to complete a single call.
There must have something wrong with it.
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It wouldn't look so good with blank screen from deprecated battery life. Are you really going to drag this argument around to every topic about the iPhone?

Well other devices seem to handle running background apps fine without killing the battery, why has the iPhone got this problem?

Anyway, do you know what Skype is and how it works? Do you not agree that it is next to useless if it cannot be run in the background? You are not going to get anyones messages or calls unless you have the app open, it is like having a telephone that only rings when you have it in your hand. For many people Skype is more than just a chat interface, it is how people call them. We do not have a phone line at home, we just use mobile for all national calls and skype for international, and more importantly for talking to all friends/family. We have Skype out and a Phone number.

Do you really, truthfully believe that the iphone/iPod touch would not be improved by allowing something as simple as background apps and furthermore do you not think having a great skype client for the iPhone in its current state is ruined by this lack of functionality?

I cannot see what you have got to defend here?
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Well other devices seem to handle running background apps fine without killing the battery, why has the iPhone got this problem?

If this were true. If there were any conclusive proof that multi-tasking did not negatively effect battery life, tech journalists would be disputing Apple. I haven't seen a single story disputing Apple's rational.

Not only battery life it uses up memory and CPU cycles. Which leads to slow/sluggish response and crashing.

Quote:
Anyway, do you know what Skype is and how it works? Do you not agree that it is next to useless if it cannot be run in the background?

Yes I know what Skype does. I'm not sure why you are making it sound so profound. What Skype does can already be done on the iPhone, Skype is simply another service.

I'm not sure what else one would need to be doing while talking or texting on Skype.

Quote:
You are not going to get anyones messages or calls unless you have the app open, it is like having a telephone that only rings when you have it in your hand.

This will be resolved with the notification service. But then no one will be at a WiFi signal all the time waiting to receive calls.

Quote:
For many people Skype is more than just a chat interface, it is how people call them. We do not have a phone line at home, we just use mobile for all national calls and skype for international, and more importantly for talking to all friends/family. We have Skype out and a Phone number.

At home you don't need to depend on your mobile for a Skype call, you have your computer also.

Quote:
Do you really, truthfully believe that the iphone/iPod touch would not be improved by allowing something as simple as background apps and furthermore do you not think having a great skype client for the iPhone in its current state is ruined by this lack of functionality?

Well obviously running in the background as some advantages, but it also has disadvantages. On a mobile device battery life has to trump everything.

Quote:
I cannot see what you have got to defend here?

Most people have no understanding or interest in figuring out resource allocation on their electronic device. Forcing consumers to do so is what makes devices difficult to use and frustrating for most people. Apple is making the right call on making the process easier.

Most people would rather have longer battery life and less frustration than multi-tasking.
post #56 of 75
Apparently the crashes occur on jailbroken phones.

I use it at home because I hate being tied to my PC by a headset.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

If this were true. If there were any conclusive proof that multi-tasking did not negatively effect battery life, tech journalists would be disputing Apple. I haven't seen a single story disputing Apple's rational.

Not only battery life it uses up memory and CPU cycles. Which leads to slow/sluggish response and crashing.

I guess if the iPhone is prone to crashing then maybe.

I run a comms app on my BB Bold, something like Skype but more fully featured and business class. It runs all day in the background nicely. Never crashes, does not drain CPU and battery. Whenever someone messages me, calls me, changes presence status etc.. I am alerted immediately. I do not have to keeping opening the app to check for missed calls / messages etc...

Anyway, it works fine is the point. If the iPhone is unable to do this without crashing and draining battery then I doubt very much this is an Apple decision, it must be an issue with the software.

But my point still remains, having an app like this on a device that cannot run the app in the background makes little sense at all. Maybe the new iPhones will get round this limitation. In the meantime there is always Blackberry and winmob.
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Here is another odd feature. I was logged into Skype via my computer talking with a friend about iPhone Skype. I loaded the iPhone app, and got my friend to Skype me. Both the computer and the iPhone rang. I answered the call from my iPhone, and the call screen on the computer went away and Skype on my Mac went idle, while I continued my call.

That's the ONE reason why I like Skype over other IM software: you can be logged in at multiple locations, and the full conversations are available on all locations (of course, that also carries the risk of abuse e.g. if someone steals your password, they can track all your conversations).
But for me the advantage that I can have a conversation on the laptop or on the desktop, and later the full conversation is archived on both, is key.

So while I consider Skype part of the evil empire, and although I'd prefer to use something with an open, documented protocol, that's the one sole reason I keep using Skype at all.
What you describe is nothing new, it's always been like that, e.g. I can pick up a call on any of my computers I'm logged into Skype, usually a laptop, netbook and desktop. Soon, I'll add the iPhone to that list, for now, the app just crashes when I try to enter user name or password. Bummer!
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

I run a comms app on my BB Bold, something like Skype but more fully featured and business class. It runs all day in the background nicely. Never crashes, does not drain CPU and battery. Whenever someone messages me, calls me, changes presence status etc.. I am alerted immediately. I do not have to keeping opening the app to check for missed calls / messages etc...

If you have what you want, why are you complaining about the iPhone?

Quote:
Anyway, it works fine is the point. If the iPhone is unable to do this without crashing and draining battery then I doubt very much this is an Apple decision, it must be an issue with the software.

Its not simply one app that causes problems. Its running multiple apps that causes problems. The iPhone can collect 30 - 40 - 50 apps. How many of those do you allow to run in the background and how do you choose which are more important?

Even with background notifications. Apple said developers submitted thousands of apps to use the service in ways they had not thought of and had to rearchitect the service. From what I've seen Blackberry's don't have a lot of consumer apps that use extensive web services.

Quote:
But my point still remains, having an app like this on a device that cannot run the app in the background makes little sense at all. Maybe the new iPhones will get round this limitation. In the meantime there is always Blackberry and winmob.

Well Skype is not intended to be used as a primary telephone service. Its intended to be a supplementary service. Most people won't expect it to behave as a primary service.
post #60 of 75
If you are concerned that the Skype application on the iPhone will not answer your calls when you are using other apps,

You can have the calls forwarded to your cell number

This way you will not miss any calls if the Skype all is not running.

I have a Skype in number, and whenever my computer is off, it automatically forwards it to my cell number.

I think this would solve the problem of not having Skype run in the background
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorHawk View Post

If you are concerned that the Skype application on the iPhone will not answer your calls when you are using other apps,

You can have the calls forwarded to your cell number

This way you will not miss any calls if the Skype all is not running.

I have a Skype in number, and whenever my computer is off, it automatically forwards it to my cell number.

I think this would solve the problem of not having Skype run in the background

Then why bother with Skype in the first place? Why not just tell people to call your mobile? After all forwarding calls to your mobile will cost you. It is just another work around for an Apple product that you do not need on other products because the other products work right in the first place.

I am not talking BS here, Skype is supposed to be a live messaging service, there is no point having it on a device that does not support its main advantages. The can only be a useful app on iPhone if the new iPhones will support background apps. Otherwise, seriously, it has little value to anybody. You might as well stick to SMS and Mobile calls.

On the BB I can see it might be much more usable.
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Then why bother with Skype in the first place? Why not just tell people to call your mobile? After all forwarding calls to your mobile will cost you. It is just another work around for an Apple product that you do not need on other products because the other products work right in the first place.

I am not talking BS here, Skype is supposed to be a live messaging service, there is no point having it on a device that does not support its main advantages. The can only be a useful app on iPhone if the new iPhones will support background apps. Otherwise, seriously, it has little value to anybody. You might as well stick to SMS and Mobile calls.

On the BB I can see it might be much more usable.

I see your points. I use Skype mainly for International calling, and my Skype In number I only use it because it is convenient to have the calls land on my computer. Then when I need to go, they automatically get forwarded to my cell. Rarely do IM or chatting.

And even then I could use Skype to go (<- Really good Skype feature) in a pinch.

But I do see how 'the powers that be' desire more battery life by foregoing background apps.

Somehow, after using both BB and iPhone, giving up background apps is not that inconvenient for my particular uses. The iphone just works so seemlessly when I need it to.
post #63 of 75
Is Skype included as part of BIS on the Storm?

I know YouTube isn't and requires an additional data bundle on top of the blackberry plan.

The same goes for the Bold when it doesn't have a WiFi connection.

The company I work for has plans where a Blackberry bold's use VOIP over wireless in the office and the cellular network when outside the LAN and requires specialized hardware from Cisco.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Sure does. Took only a year to do something that is pretty basic. Is complaining about only being allowed to use wifi to make VoIP calls still allowed though?

Awe, Sapporobaby.

Where have you been? Not that anybody would care or miss you.

Got banned, eh?

Still working for the State Department and Nokia?
post #65 of 75
rogers is tryiing thier best to stop skype here in canada


I HATE ROGERS
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

rogers is tryiing thier best to stop skype here in canada


I HATE ROGERS

I guess you won't be seeing the N97 on Rogers then given Nokia's big song and dance about it's partnership with Skype and the N97 being so tightly integrated with it.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Awe, Sapporobaby.

Where have you been? Not that anybody would care or miss you.

Got banned, eh?

Still working for the State Department and Nokia?

Considering that you are that only person to make mention of the fact that I am posting here again, I would say that you missed me. I guess you missed me owning you in post after post after post. I am happy to see that you are still taking up residence in Steve Jobs pants, mouth open and receptive. Typical of you. Unlike you, I could not care less if I was missed or not. I do not need the acceptance of others in this forum or any other to validate my existence. Since my self imposed departure you have come a long way, you actually got one thing correct, I do still work for the State Department, and do you think I give a rats kester if I got banned from the cheerleading squad? You need this more than I do. So far in your 3 lined post, you are 1 for 3. Those are about your odds.... Some things never change. Notice I said things, not quite sure if you qualify as a person.
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

There is two views for contacts, one that gives a list that yes while I agree with you it is not the same as the Mac version it does have an 'online' tab for showing you your online contacts who are currently online.

I am not into the headset idea though, not really what I want. There is a little microphone attachment for the iPod touch 2G that looks okay, I will wait and see if you can use skype with that and have the other callers voice come out of the speaker.

SwitchEasy makes a tiny microphone, the ThumbTack, that's cheap, cute and gets a good rating from iLounge. I ordered it and an Etymotic hf2 headset. The headset I can use with my Macbook Pro, too.

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/T...ThumbTacks.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

It is certainly a move in the right direction but the huge problem is still there that Apple will still not let you run Skype in the background. So unless you leave your iPod/Phone sitting with Skype running on top then nobody is going to be calling you on it.

True, there. I can see using it selectively, when I really need it. Although, the way my iPod touch rips through the battery with WiFi on, I'd want to carry a USB charger in my MacToolKit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Come on Apple, why is it that 3rd parties are the ones making your baby look good? Hurry up with the background apps will you or otherwise this is nothing more but a great feature crippled by Apple.

Apple has ALWAYS relied on the third-party to expand and truly realize some of the potential that Apple leaves out. Think of how many now "standard" Mac OS features started their lives as third-party INITs, Extensions and utilities.

The third-party is in a real sense Apple's stealth R&D department... as Apple is Redmond's not-so-secret R&D. ;-) Apple watches as 3-P developers churn out interesting UI tweaks and utilities, sees which are successful, which fail and which become indispensable. Then they judiciously choose which to fold into the OS.

I'd guess that Apple's handling of third parties with the iPhone/iPod touch platform will have follow those familiar lines.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

SwitchEasy makes a tiny microphone, the ThumbTack, that's cheap, cute and gets a good rating from iLounge. I ordered it and an Etymotic hf2 headset. The headset I can use with my Macbook Pro, too.

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/T...ThumbTacks.php



True, there. I can see using it selectively, when I really need it. Although, the way my iPod touch rips through the battery with WiFi on, I'd want to carry a USB charger in my MacToolKit.



Apple has ALWAYS relied on the third-party to expand and truly realize some of the potential that Apple leaves out. Think of how many now "standard" Mac OS features started their lives as third-party INITs, Extensions and utilities.

The third-party is in a real sense Apple's stealth R&D department... as Apple is Redmond's not-so-secret R&D. ;-) Apple watches as 3-P developers churn out interesting UI tweaks and utilities, sees which are successful, which fail and which become indispensable. Then they judiciously choose which to fold into the OS.

I'd guess that Apple's handling of third parties with the iPhone/iPod touch platform will have follow those familiar lines.

A2DP and I am a happy camper.
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You would have to go through all 30,000 to know this for sure. Also what may be useful for one may not be useful for another.

If Apple implemented a comprehensive search engine in the App Store it would be easier to find what you're looking for more easily and not have to plow through dross.

Why Apple doesn't have a separate Religion/Spirituality department is beyond me. I really don't want to flip through a zillion BibleThumper Pro apps to find a thesaurus. You can bet Apple doesn't want to further offend the already and easily offended Xtian Kabal, by placing their precious mythology next to Wicca, Islamic or Buddhist "Reference" apps.

I'd love to see an App Store only search field on the FIRST page. I've tried using the iTunes Store search field and end up with song lists. That's NOT why I'm there, Apple!

AND give "Power Search" (in your dreams, Apple) a VersionTracker or MacUpdate level advanced search capabilities.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

A2DP and I am a happy camper.

A2DP?

Please translate...
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

A2DP?

Please translate...

Sorry dude.

A2DP allows you to use a BT Stereo headset instead of a wired connection to listen to music. I am using a pair of Shure SE 530's with my Nokia E71. The sound quality is exceptional and the phone can stay in my pocket. You can look up BT Stereo Headset from: SonyEricsson, Nokia, Jabra, and a few others.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

A2DP and I am a happy camper.

This just never seemed like a must have to me. In any event, they announced it for OS 3.0, so I guess you will be a happier camper.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

This just never seemed like a must have to me. In any event, they announced it for OS 3.0, so I guess you will be a happier camper.

I can understand your reasoning but after you (plural) use it a time or two, you will realize that it is pretty handy. The ability to change tunes, answer the phone, start or stop the music while your phone is cordless is pretty handy. At least to me. Time will tell how Apple implements A2DP. SE has a weird implementation where their headsets connect via BT to non-SE devices and very little more.
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I just asked a question.

The "bitching" comment did not refer to you, TB.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Skype for iPhone to hit the App Store on Tuesday