or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Better off now than 8 years ago?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Better off now than 8 years ago?

post #1 of 188
Thread Starter 
Do people really feel better off now than they were 8 years ago?
Just before this new Administration took office?

I think 4 years from now, some people will not feel better off than they were this year.

Opinions are like buttholes.

Everybody's got one.

And they all stink!!!
post #2 of 188
Right now, not really, i don't feel better. Mainly because of the way the economy is going. But while I'm a little wary of some of Obama's decisions,I have confidence that his administrations long term strategy will be the right thing for America's future.

What I'm saying is, I may not feel better right now, but I do feel much better bout the short and long term future. This was the opposite of what i felt 8 years ago.
post #3 of 188
Much worse. My parents are losing their home because of the drop in the stock market caused by the backlash of the Bush recession. True.

Personally I'm doing ok here in Hong Kong. Could be better, if my wife's income were more stable.
post #4 of 188
I'm better off than I was 8 years ago ... but worse than i was 6 months ago.

The" worse" part is simply on paper though, until I actually decide to liquidate market investments.

The "better" part is because I did NOT buy a house I couldn't afford, I did NOT buy things on credit. I have no debt, so what do I care about a scarcity of credit? I'm not gonna "lose my home" because I can make the mortgage payments... even if I had to go get a new (lower paying) job.

It's all about living on LESS than you make, kiddos!


I realize that the original post was intended to compare the Bush admin to the BHO admin... but you really must realize that this "economic crisis" was not the fault of either one ... it started long before Bush took office... and was caused by decisions made by CONGRESS, not by the Executive.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #5 of 188
I'm definitely better off. But that has NOTHING to do with the federal government. It's because I made some serious life decisions, pursued them relentlessly, and they've paid off.

HOWEVER, I more worried and anxious than I've ever been in my life.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #6 of 188
Much better off than 8 years ago. I went from school through training and now have professional career with the salary that goes with it. My wider family is doing better as well. My mother wasn't as foolish (or should I say incredibly stupid) to leave her retirement money that she needs in 5 years in the stock market as other were. So her short and long term needs are sound provide Obama doesn't force us into a depression. My bother lost his job in the previous recession but found a better job and is doing well now. My sister lost her job on the national sales force of a major hotel chain but was smart enough to have been already setting next career move within that organization that will boost resume for the next promotion.

Be smart. Cover you ass. Think through the "what if" scenarios. When you ask the government to bail you out they could fire you as CEO of your life.
post #7 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

My mother wasn't as foolish (or should I say incredibly stupid) to leave her retirement money that she needs in 5 years in the stock market as other were.

Good thing Bush was unsuccessful in his attempt to move all her Social Security money to the stock markets, huh?
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #8 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Good thing Bush was unsuccessful in his attempt to move all her Social Security money to the stock markets, huh?

Too bad Democrats wont allow her to keep her own retirement money so she'd be even richer and more secure.
post #9 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Too bad Democrats wont allow her to keep her own retirement money so she'd be even richer and more secure.

Bush put us into this position long before they came to power.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #10 of 188
The GOP is trying to stop the House investigation into AIG from interviewing the former CEO of AIG. I wonder why that might be...

The world is worse off than eight years ago. Hopefully we can start fixing things. Obviously that won't be with GOP assistance.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #11 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The GOP is trying to stop the House investigation into AIG from interviewing the former CEO of AIG. I wonder why that might be...

The world is worse off than eight years ago. Hopefully we can start fixing things. Obviously that won't be with GOP assistance.

That's right! It's not just individuals. It's the whole world!
No question if you were to look at the big picture most everything is in worse shape. As a matter of fact I'm hard pressed to find something that isn't worse except maybe 8 years ago we were going into a long period of darkness.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #12 of 188
Has anyone considered that the Republicans and Democrats are BOTH to blame for this mess? Yes, they CAN both be wrong.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #13 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Has anyone considered that the Republicans and Democrats are BOTH to blame for this mess? Yes, they CAN both be wrong.

You've heard the expression, "The Buck Stops Here" - right?

And you know with which party The Buck Stopped for the past 8 years - right?
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #14 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

You've heard the expression, "The Buck Stops Here" - right?

And you know with which party The Buck Stopped for the past 8 years - right?

Double standard. The "W" administration and their supporters were criticized whenever they tried to blame anything on the Clinton administration. Now we're just supposed to assume that anything good that is happening is all a product of Obama's administration, but anything bad that is happening is a product of the previous administration? Yeah. Right.

The Democrats had control of Congress during the last 2 years of the previous administraion, btw. They certainly improved things, didn't they?

It's all one big political party in Washington D.C. today. They're trying to distract us and pit us against one another in these nonsense Republican vs Democrat battles to keep us from seeing the big picture.

Yes, there are still a few in Washington D.C. that haven't bought into the establishment, but they are being marginalized and silenced by the corrupt majority.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #15 of 188
Hmm.

Am I the only one wondering if jazzguru's favorite jazz instrument is a trumpet?
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #16 of 188
Tenor Saxophone, actually.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #17 of 188
I am much better off than 8 years ago. The numbers for me on paper aren't as good as say two years ago, but still much better than 8 years ago.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #18 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Has anyone considered that the Republicans and Democrats are BOTH to blame for this mess? Yes, they CAN both be wrong.

Yes we considered it. Then we remembered all the good times with Mr. Bush over the last several years on this forum when we asked what the hell he was doing with the economy among other things? This is one time when it's not really accurate to lay blame on both sides. While he was president we questioned the debt he was piling up, the lact of clear action, and why have a very costly war in the middle of economic strife? And why deregulate? Last time they did that it didn't turn out so well.

This downturn didn't start during the Obama administration did it now?

Also while I wasn't going to get into this I'm not doing as well as I was 8 years ago. The middle class got squeezed again.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #19 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Double standard. The "W" administration and their supporters were criticized whenever they tried to blame anything on the Clinton administration. Now we're just supposed to assume that anything good that is happening is all a product of Obama's administration, but anything bad that is happening is a product of the previous administration? Yeah. Right.

The Democrats had control of Congress during the last 2 years of the previous administraion, btw. They certainly improved things, didn't they?

It's all one big political party in Washington D.C. today. They're trying to distract us and pit us against one another in these nonsense Republican vs Democrat battles to keep us from seeing the big picture.

Yes, there are still a few in Washington D.C. that haven't bought into the establishment, but they are being marginalized and silenced by the corrupt majority.

Quote:
The "W" administration and their supporters were criticized whenever they tried to blame anything on the Clinton administration.

A simple question. When did this economic crisis start? During the Bush administration or the Obama administration?

Who's watch? If they can't be responsible for what happens while they're in office why were they elected? Under any other other system these guys would have been fired long ago ( unless of course they worked for one of those banks ). And if they can't take responsiblilty for what happens while they govern then I guess it would be unwise to let them into the whitehouse again.

Oh! And distraction? That's a republican speciality. One that Bush's people honed to a fine art.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #20 of 188


Amazing. Utterly amazing how history can so conveniently be forgotten or ignored. Which party was it that pushed for lax mortgage lending standards at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac so that low income earners could get into homes they couldn't possibly afford otherwise, thus creating the housing bubble that popped and triggered this mess (while the other party looked the other way)?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #21 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post



Amazing. Utterly amazing how history can so conveniently be forgotten or ignored. Which party was it that pushed for lax mortgage lending standards at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac so that low income earners could get into homes they couldn't possibly afford otherwise, thus creating the housing bubble that popped and triggered this mess (while the other party looked the other way)?

Which party pushed for deregulation because " big government is bad "?

Sorry but you don't sound very unbiased.

Oh by the way you didn't answer my question.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #22 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Which party pushed for deregulation because " big government is bad "?

Sorry but you don't sound very unbiased.

Oh by the way you didn't answer my question.

Everyone is biased.

Are you finally starting to realize that it's BOTH parties that are to blame here? Are you?!?!

Under which administration did the current economic crisis start? Well, the housing bubble burst during the "W" administration, and that was the catalyst. The lax lending standards began under the Clinton administration, which created the housing bubble.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #23 of 188
And then we went to war with the world.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #24 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Sorry but you don't sound very unbiased.

Why, 'cause he wasn't saying "it's Bush's fault"?

I've been reading these threads... gotta say, there's some that post here that are one trick ponies.
post #25 of 188
Is it me or is Jazzguru yet another one of those supposed fence-sitters that claims to neither be a Democrat or Republican, yet seems to only pick on the liberals and Dems. And then when they get called on it suddenly shouts about their "centrist" bonafides!

I'm not buying it. Sorry Jazz.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #26 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Is it me or is Jazzguru yet another one of those supposed fence-sitters that claims to neither be a Democrat or Republican, yet seems to only pick on the liberals and Dems. And then when they get called on it suddenly shouts about their "centrist" bonafides!

I'm not buying it. Sorry Jazz.

You obviously haven't read all of my posts.

I'm a Constitutionalist, by the way.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #27 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Under which administration did the current economic crisis start? Well, the housing bubble burst during the "W" administration, and that was the catalyst. The lax lending standards began under the Clinton administration, which created the housing bubble.

Ever heard of Phil Gramm?
http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...877330,00.html
Quote:
He played a leading role in writing and pushing through Congress the 1999 repeal of the Depression-era Glass-Steagall Act, which separated commercial banks from Wall Street. He also inserted a key provision into the 2000 Commodity Futures Modernization Act that exempted over-the-counter derivatives like credit-default swaps from regulation by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. Credit-default swaps took down AIG, which has cost the U.S. $150 billion thus far

.
http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...,00.htmlCredit default swaps are
Quote:
insurance-like contracts that promise to cover losses on certain securities in the event of a default. They typically apply to municipal bonds, corporate debt and mortgage securities and are sold by banks, hedge funds and others. The buyer of the credit default insurance pays premiums over a period of time in return for peace of mind, knowing that losses will be covered if a default happens. It's supposed to work similarly to someone taking out home insurance to protect against losses from fire and theft.

Except that it doesn't. Banks and insurance companies are regulated; the credit swaps market is not. As a result, contracts can be traded or swapped from investor to investor without anyone overseeing the trades to ensure the buyer has the resources to cover the losses if the security defaults. The instruments can be bought and sold from both ends the insured and the insurer.

Granted the Clinton Admin. went along with it but, the rules changed,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Gramm
Quote:
The Washington Post in 2008 named Gramm one of seven "key players" responsible for winning a 1998-1999 fight against regulation of derivatives trading.[12] Gramm's support was later critical in the passage of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, which kept derivatives transactions, including those involving credit default swaps, free of government regulation.

And that's where your bailout money is going, paying out the investors.
post #28 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Everyone is biased.

Are you finally starting to realize that it's BOTH parties that are to blame here? Are you?!?!

Under which administration did the current economic crisis start? Well, the housing bubble burst during the "W" administration, and that was the catalyst. The lax lending standards began under the Clinton administration, which created the housing bubble.

Sorry I'm not buying what you're selling.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #29 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Sorry I'm not buying what you're selling.

I'm not either. "Constitutionalist" is code for Republican because the traditional definition of the word is not what he's implying. "Constitutionalist" is a weasel word used frequently by John McCain and the rest of his horde re: court appointments.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #30 of 188
You guys are cracking me up, here! Seriously! I've totally thrown you for a loop and you don't know what to do about it.

I am a Constitutionalist--a member of the Constitution Party. Google it. It's the 3rd largest political party in the United States in terms of voter registration.

You need to separate political ideologies from political parties. That might help a little bit. Conservative IS NOT synonymous with Republican. Likewise, liberal IS NOT synonymous with Democrat.

There are plenty of conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans out there.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #31 of 188
To be honest considering the economy we're all worse off than we were 8 years ago.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #32 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

You guys are cracking me up, here! Seriously! I've totally thrown you for a loop and you don't know what to do about it.

I am a Constitutionalist--a member of the Constitution Party. Google it. It's the 3rd largest political party in the United States in terms of voter registration.

You need to separate political ideologies from political parties. That might help a little bit. Conservative IS NOT synonymous with Republican. Likewise, liberal IS NOT synonymous with Democrat.

There are plenty of conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans out there.

They do know what to do about it. They know to make the thread and discussions about you instead of about the concepts, thoughts and ideas you hold. They are attacking you personally and forcing you to defend who you are instead of what you have posted. It is a classic ad-hom and if you participate in it, then you help the logical fallacy win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

To be honest considering the economy we're all worse off than we were 8 years ago.

That is bullcrap. I love where I am at right now financially. My rents continue to rise with inflation. When people are doubling up or moving closer to family, they need me. When people are giving up their homes due to the ridiculously terrible mortgages they agreed to out of greed, they pay me. Even my stock portfolio which is down quite a bit is still dividend based and via DRIPS is buying me a lot more stock on the cheap for when the market goes back up and even if it doesn't will continue to give me monthly income while others don't have that.

No one can stop all the ups and downs in life, but when you can predict them and prepare for them, it makes you feel good when you can ride them out and be in a good place.

I'm in a great place.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #33 of 188
It certainly helps your situation when you take charge of your life and make things happen, rather than playing the part of the victim and expecting everyone else but yourself to improve your situation for you.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #34 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

It certainly helps your situation when you take charge of your life and make things happen, rather than playing the part of the victim and expecting everyone else but yourself to improve your situation for you.


Claims like this on the internet are easy. If the bottom falls out of all of this ( that Bush has left for us ) all the " Taking charge " in the world won't help you.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #35 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Claims like this on the internet are easy. If the bottom falls out of all of this ( that Bush has left for us ) all the " Taking charge " in the world won't help you.

A prime example of the victim attitude. Bush is no longer the President. Sitting around blaming him for your problems will not feed your family. You can either act or react. THere are still many opportunities out there to earn income, but if you're expecting the government to come to your rescue, you'll be waiting a very long time.

Examle:

The people of Fargo, North Dakota acted.

The people of New Orleans, Louisiana reacted.

Witness the different results.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #36 of 188
The system that was to help the people of New Orleans didn't act. We could say that Brownie was doing a heck of a job... The system did act for Fargo. There is a difference in demographics between the two, but that couldn't be important.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #37 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

A prime example of the victim attitude. Bush is no longer the President. Sitting around blaming him for your problems will not feed your family. You can either act or react. THere are still many opportunities out there to earn income, but if you're expecting the government to come to your rescue, you'll be waiting a very long time.

Examle:

The people of Fargo, North Dakota acted.

The people of New Orleans, Louisiana reacted.

Witness the different results.

Yeah, because the population size, demographics, and geography of Fargo and New Orleans are soooooo similar that they just invite easy comparisons, don't they?

And the Federal government did nothing to help Fargo prepare... the sandbagging was completely a local grassroots effort, wasn't it?

And a slowly rising river? EXACTLY THE SAME as a hurricane storm surge....

eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #38 of 188
Barbara Bush summed it up so well:

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/na...07barbara.html

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #39 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Yeah, because the population size, demographics, and geography of Fargo and New Orleans are soooooo similar that they just invite easy comparisons, don't they?

Nothing to do whatsoever with my point. The people of Fargo acted. The people of New Orelans reacted. It really is that simple.

Quote:
And the Federal government did nothing to help Fargo prepare... the sandbagging was completely a local grassroots effort, wasn't it?

The Federal government did nothing to help Fargo prepare, and the people went to work evacuating and working to protect their communities.

The Federal government did nothing to help New Orleans prepare, and many people sat in their homes expecting others to act as a massive hurricane barreled down on their community.

Quote:
And a slowly rising river? EXACTLY THE SAME as a hurricane storm surge....

How many days had they been tracking Hurricane Katrina before it actually hit New Orleans? Several days at least. The same amount of time Fargo had to prepare for the cresting of the river. Ample time to evacuate, fortify the levees, etc. With or without the government's help.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #40 of 188
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, WRONG.

Quote:
The Army Corps of Engineers said its contractors have been building emergency levees in the cities of Fargo, Grafton, Harwood, Valley City and Wahpeton in North Dakota, and in the cities of Breckenridge, Moorhead and Georgetown in Minnesota.

The corps said it was raising roads and completing lift protection stations to protect four cities in North Dakota's Richland County, and that it issued more than 600,000 sandbags to counties and cities in North Dakota and Minnesota.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...pflooding.html

Quote:
On Tuesday, President Obama declared a major disaster declaration for North Dakota. The President's action made federal funding available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to help in flood fighting efforts.

Prior to the disaster declaration, North Dakota's State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) was operating around the clock with support from FEMA's Region VIII (Denver) Emergency Response Team (ERT), the national Incident Management Assistance Team (IMAT-West), the National Guard, the American Red Cross, and other federal partners including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the U.S. Small Business Administration.

- FEMA is preparing to ship eight truckloads of ready-to-eat meals, three truckloads of water, 50 emergency generators, one truckload of cots, and one truckload of blankets.
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers deployed more than 130 personnel and have issued three million sandbags, 310 rolls of poly, HESCO Bastion flood walls and pre-positioned 12 water pumps.
- More than 900 North Dakota National Guard troops have provided sandbagging support in Fargo, Grand Forks, and Bismarck. Guard members have been assisting with evacuations and are poised to continue those efforts as needed. National Guard air operations are supporting the movement of aircraft to stage in key areas of the state and providing aerial support for remedying ice jams in west-central and eastern North Dakota.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=47798

Quote:
A 21-year-old National Guardsman from Bowman, N.D., he had been in Fargo for a week — first building the dike we were standing in front of to a height of 43 feet, and then patrolling it for leaks, one muddy, frigid circuit after another.

http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2009...fargo_notebook

Quote:
After the region's last catastrophic flood season, in the spring of 1997, more than a billion dollars were spent on efforts to tame the river.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=104&sid=1559881

Just for kicks, why don't you look up the levy spending in the New Orleans area in the last 10 years, and factor in the populations of Greater New Orleans and Greater Fargo (hint - they differ by an order of magnitude), and then tell us what Federal flood control per capita spending was for each one?

Last, but not least - can you just stop for a minute and imagine what the "why do they live in a floodplain, anyway?" comments about New Orleans would have been like if it had seen similar flooding just 12 years ago?

Both of your posts on this subject provide ample proof that your assumptions about federal involvement in Fargo are.... ummm.... somewhat inaccurate.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Better off now than 8 years ago?