or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot

post #1 of 118
Thread Starter 
Sales of Apple's most affordable iPod shot up more than 50 percent a week after the company unveiled new, more compact models that shift the push controls from the player itself to the included pair of earphones.

Barclay's analyst Ben Reitzes relayed via a report earlier this week data from market research firm NPD showing that sales of iPod shuffles grew 51 percent the week of March 21st, the first full week the third-generation players were on the market. Sales continued to gain momentum the following week, rising another 10 percent.

However, a snapshot of Apple's overall iPod business during these same time periods isn't so rosy. Combined, sales of all iPod models fell a staggering 38 percent on a year-over-year basis during the week of the 21st, following a 21 percent decline the week prior.

The good news for Apple is that these declines were fairly inline with broader trends in the digital media player sector, which saw sales slip 37 percent and 21 percent, respectively, for those same two weeks. Also noteworthy is that the week of the 21st is somewhat of a tough compare given that Easter Sunday fell on the 23rd last year.

On the downside, Reitzes reports that the recent fall-off in sales suggests iPod shipments for the first calendar quarter of the year could be down some 14 percent year-over-year. This is inline with general market trends, but much worse than the analyst's previous estimate of a 2 percent yearly decline.



That said, Retizes notes that while NPD data factors in sales at Apple retail stores, it doesn't include sales from the company's online store or any iPod distribution points outside the United States.

"We continue to believe that International sales growth is stronger than the US for iPods," he wrote.



The analyst also include the above iPod unit sales distribution chart, which provides a visual breakdown of Apple's weekly iPod sales mix by model and price point. The 8GB and 16GB iPod touch, along with the 120GB iPod Classic, are by far the company's best selling players by volume since the start of the year. The 32GB iPod touch and 16GB iPod nano trail the pack by a considerable margin.
post #2 of 118
Boy, does this fly in the face of the predictions of most of the so-called analysts out there. Is it just me or are they wrong far more often than they are right about anything Apple-related. After all these years they still don't get it.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #3 of 118
All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.
post #4 of 118
AI April Fools Headline: Japanese women love the new iPod shuffle.
post #5 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.

While I think the new Shuffle is a great improvement, they added everything I wanted I don't think this article is proof of the success of this new design. The upswing in sales is common for a major product revision. Even the BB Storm had a swell of new sales and carrier contracts... before a about 50% returned the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too.

Popular doesn't necessarily equal good. Any Apple product refresh will see a jump in sales no matter how good or bad the new product is. Let's see how it performs in the long term before drawing conclusions.
post #7 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is it just me or are they wrong far more often than they are right about anything Apple-related. After all these years they still don't get it.

It's not just you.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
post #8 of 118
This not surprising- it's a whole new item/new form factor, ect. I wouldn't even call it a Shuffle- a Shuffle once meant simplicity. It would only be news if it didn't make an initial splash.
Regardless, it still sucks.
post #9 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I think the new Shuffle is a great improvement, they added everything I wanted.....

Too bad that you said you're not even gonna buy one.
post #10 of 118
I hear it's a favorite among Lilliputians.
post #11 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.
post #12 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too bad you said your not even gonna buy one.

I'm quite utilitarian in my purchases. Since my current Shuffle sufficient I won't get a new one, but that doesn't mean that the changes I posted for are not welcome. If my current Shuffle is lost, stolen or broke I'll know what I will buy next.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.

Making a statement of "it sucks" is a complaint that adds nothing to the thread. If you were to structure your comment with clear and well thought out reasons why the device doesn't fit your needs and/or why you think it won't fit the needs of the majority then I doubt any of the regular posters would be stating your comment is negative or trollish. In fact, I know I'd be taken aback and would post accordingly, as I've done in the past, when you've posted well.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 118
The problem is that most tech-geeks (forgive the term) and technophiles live in a vacuum. They assume the rest of the market (meaning the vast majority) think as they do.

Well they don't. Not even close.

The success of a product depends on a good understanding of the *average user.* The ones who want to get things done with the least amount of tinkering and frustration possible.
post #15 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Making a statement of "it sucks" is a complaint that adds nothing to the thread. If you were to structure your comment with clear and well thought out reasons why the device doesn't fit your needs and/or why you think it won't fit the needs of the majority then I doubt any of the regular posters would be stating your comment is negative or trollish. In fact, I know I'd be taken aback and would post accordingly, as I've done in the past, when you've posted well.

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.
post #16 of 118
I don't think it is fair to say that the Ipod Touch maintains the top slot. The graph breakdown is by price range which results in three models getting added together. It is impossible to say where they would rank if shown individually. For example, if they are all sold equally then each model would only represent about 12% and therefore the nano would be the number one seller.
post #17 of 118
Wow, didn't see that one coming... Not sarcastic.

Solipsisismtitties, yes the thing was largely panned by pretty much everyone that matters, including Gizmodo, Engadget and even our dearest cheerleader (appleinsider) questioned the new direction. So no, he's not just being some troll. Lay off.
post #18 of 118
. . . .
post #19 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Please post the scintillating reviews of Vista by the tech community just prior to release. Your only problem with that will be trying to fit all the link into one post.

The only sure way to judge the success of the shuffle is to wait at least 6 months after release.
post #20 of 118
bought my fiance a new one, and myself a red 2nd gen shuffle...thinking I couldn't live without the controls.

A week later, and I'm enthralled by the new shuffle and wished I had bought one.
Yesterday, she told me while at the gym, the new shuffle is 'so freeing' while on the treadmill and in the gym. No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

Put another way, the new talking shuffles are bad ass, and only 'suck' until you actually own one...take it from me... a first hand convert whose red 2nd gen shuffle is already collecting dust...
post #21 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.

How is it not a simplified iPod?
post #22 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

bought my fiance a new one, and myself a red 2nd gen shuffle...thinking I couldn't live without the controls.

A week later, and I'm enthralled by the new shuffle and wished I had bought one.
Yesterday, she told me while at the gym, the new shuffle is 'so freeing' while on the treadmill and in the gym. No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

Put another way, the new talking shuffles are bad ass, and only 'suck' until you actually own one...take it from me... a first hand convert whose red 2nd gen shuffle is already collecting dust...

And boom . . .

Your fiancee is the perfect example of the average user. Apple designs products with people like her in mind. And thank goodness for that.
post #23 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Please post the scintillating reviews of Vista by the tech community just prior to release. Your only problem with that will be trying to fit all the link into one post.

The only sure way to judge the success of the shuffle is to wait at least 6 months after release.

I could care less about Vista.
But talk about comparing Apples and Oranges:a software review vs a hardware review? Come on!
post #24 of 118
Saying a product sucks carries a lot more weight if you actually buy one and use it. Playing with it in the store doesn't count for much. Forming an opinion second-hand based on the opinions of others isn't much better. Oftentimes when something is new and different, we don't like it at first, but with time and experience we learn to love it. Perhaps Techstud could merely say that it strikes him that the idea of it sucks. That leaves room for redemption.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #25 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And boom . . .

Your fiancee is the perfect example of the average user. Apple designs products with people like her in mind. And thank goodness for that.

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.
post #26 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How is it not a simplified iPod?

I said for a Shuffle.
Read a review and find out.
post #27 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.

Because that's a HUGE problem.
post #28 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.

No, that would be an "opinion". It is however a fact that you *believe* it sucks.
post #29 of 118
The 8G Touch and the 120G Classic lead the field. Fact is, Apple is lagging in capacity. Yeah, I get it they want to move to flash, but flash still does not have affordable large capacity. You go to 32G and the price shoots up out of reach for most consumers. And there are plenty who want large capacity - that's why the 120G is a top seller... I bought one too, and I would've bought a bigger one had the they offered one. Apple has actually gone BACK in capacity from 160G to 120G.. WRONG DIRECTION APPLE!!! The right direction is MORE not less capacity. There are plenty who want more, and Apple is missing that market.
post #30 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I could care less about Vista.
But talk about comparing Apples and Oranges:a software review vs a hardware review? Come on!

You really don't get it do you? He was referring to the fact that just because the tech press praises or criticizes something doesn't mean that it is so.
post #31 of 118
Techstud, if I said you were an idiot because everyone else on the thread said so, would that be a fact or opinion?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #32 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.

All ipods have headphones so they can all get snagged! It's really not that difficult to slip the cord under your shirt so it doesn't catch on anything.

I have an iphone and when I'm walking around i always listen to music and answer phones calls using the cord controls. It is extremely convenient.

A friend invited me to the gym the other day and i used my 2nd G shuffle and it was a pain in the ass trying to use the controls on it while on the treadmill. I ended up not even using it.

The cord controls are simply far easier to use.
post #33 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.

Whaaaat? Every iPod ever made has come with headphones that could snag on something. What's your point?
post #34 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.

But Teckstud, you hate everything from Apple. LOL
post #35 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Techstud, if I said you were an idiot because everyone else on the thread said so, would that be a fact or opinion?

It would be a fact irregardless of the majority opinion :-P
post #36 of 118
Most people who would buy a shuffle won't be replacing the headphones. The fact that the stock headphones come with a remote is a feature to them, and I would imagine most people actually interested in the shuffle wont care about the lack of physical buttons.

But there is a market for third party headphones, even for the shuffle, and because Apple controls so much of the market, third party manufacturers will hapily produce new headphone models with in line remotes. In time there will be plenty on the market, as well as adptors to add a remote to your existing headphones. What is significant about this is that all the new ipods work with this remote as well. So when you are looking for new headphones for your ipod touch (or whatever) next year, you will have the buttonless shuffle to thank for all the new headphones with inline remotes available to you. I don't know the details on this remote setup, could it be licenced to other mp3 player manufacturers? If so you could see a new headphone standard emerge with virtually all mp3 players supporting these remotes, that would be a pretty big deal and would make it easier to control all your media.

Looking at the big picture, I don't think Apple was only thinking of the shuffle when they took its buttons away, not many companies can invoke change like Apple can.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #37 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and wait til she/he snags their headphones on a peice of equipment and they break.

Right...starting now, it is advised that no portable music devices should be allowed into the gym, especially not light weight miniature groundbreaking ones that can clip to your bra strap and rock your world while you are working out while the gasshat next to you is trying to unlock his zune screensaver between sets.
post #38 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

bought my fiance a new one, and myself a red 2nd gen shuffle...thinking I couldn't live without the controls.

A week later, and I'm enthralled by the new shuffle and wished I had bought one.
Yesterday, she told me while at the gym, the new shuffle is 'so freeing' while on the treadmill and in the gym. No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

Put another way, the new talking shuffles are bad ass, and only 'suck' until you actually own one...take it from me... a first hand convert whose red 2nd gen shuffle is already collecting dust...

Cool. I could use a new iPod.
post #39 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Techstud, if I said you were an idiot because everyone else on the thread said so, would that be a fact or opinion?

Robin and MacNYC- If Apple said to drink some Koolaid out of your iPod HIFI cooler- would you do it?
post #40 of 118
[QUOTE=teckstud;1396956]How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Apparently you need someone else to tell you what is good and what is bad. I am fully capable of determining that myself. I certainly don't heed much attention to the tech press that either hates Apple or just doesn't get it.

I love the cord controls on my in-ear headphones that I use with my iphone. I only wish that the volume controls worked for it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot