or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot - Page 2

post #41 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

But Teckstud, you hate everything from Apple. LOL

I love my Touch and so do many others apparently.
post #42 of 118
[=macnyc;1396993
Quote:
I only wish that the volume controls worked for it

Stop complaining already.
post #43 of 118
Techstud: You didn't answer my question.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #44 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Robin and MacNYC- If Apple said to drink some Koolaid out of your iPod HIFI cooler- would you do it?

Again you just don't get it.

Apple's strategy is to focus on it's core businesses, in this case the ipods, and have 3rd party vendors deal with the rest. It's genius because you get a large number of companies promoting your product because it is in their best interest.

Clearly this has worked very well for Apple.
post #45 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.

What bad reviews are you reading?

Macworld 3 out of 5
iLounge C

iLounge review was a joke. One of their cons is claiming that the Shuffle has a confusing interface that will be hard for many users to totally grasp and use. Sounds like he is retarded and can't figure out an On switch and a Play button.

Granted they are not receiving an A+ or 5 mice, but the shuffle is not receiving an F. The main complaint from both sources is their opinion that no one will like the remote control in the headphones. I would find that easier to use because you don't have to grasp for your 2nd gen shuffle clipped to your clothing and wonder which direction it is in. The headphone control is always in the same position. The 2nd Gen iPod included an inline remote and people liked it, and then complained when Apple yanked it from the 3rd Gen. The iPhone has an inline control and no one complains about that.

At the gym or riding a bike, I have never seen anyone use different headphones. I have also never heard of anyone using a Shuffle in the car (That was iLounge's other complaint). Most have an iPod connection kit so they can control the iPod from the stereo. They don't use their Shuffle. The original and second generation only got B reviews. The shuffle is still a simplified iPod and easy to use.

Klipsch, Scosche, V-Moda, Monster, and Etymotic all have headphones in developement to be compatible with the 3G Shuffle. So people whined about nothing.
post #46 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.

Doesn't mean they were wrong at all, it just means a lot of people bought the product. Hell, they might have done so because the ads look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Whaaaat? Every iPod ever made has come with headphones that could snag on something. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Because that's a HUGE problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

Right...starting now, it is advised that no portable music devices should be allowed into the gym, especially not light weight miniature groundbreaking ones that can clip to your bra strap and rock your world while you are working out while the gasshat next to you is trying to unlock his zune screensaver between sets.

You're all missing a huge issue here. The reason he mentioned the girl is screwed when the headphones break. Think about it, it's the reason I think this new revision is seriously flawed, and in fact the last generation of iPod Shuffle was perfect.

If the controls for the device are on the headphones, what happens if the headphones break, or get lost? You're looking at $80 to replace them.

More importantly, how exactly do I plug this iPod into my stereo? How can I use my own headphones? I own some noise-cancelling bose headphones, they're useless with this device.

The design, in my opinion, was an ill choice on Apple's part, which sounded good in the office 'Let's make it smaller', but in practice actually made it less intuitive. The same functionality could have been achieved if the controls had been placed on the device.

Design for the sake of design is useless. Which is why I'm so surprised Apple went the way it did with this iPod.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #47 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Techstud: You didn't answer my question.

You misspelled my name.
and
I don't asnwer hypothetical questions - I just deal with facts, Ma-am.
post #48 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Doesn't mean they were wrong at all, it just means a lot of people bought the product. Hell, they might have done so because the ads look cool.







You're all missing a huge issue here. The reason he mentioned the girl is screwed when the headphones break. Think about it, it's the reason I think this new revision is seriously flawed, and in fact the last generation of iPod Shuffle was perfect.

If the controls for the device are on the headphones, what happens if the headphones break, or get lost. You're looking at $80 to replace them.

More importantly, how exactly do I plug this iPod into my stereo? How can I use my own headphones? I own some noise-cancelling bose headphones, they're useless with this device.

The design, in my opinion, was an ill choice on Apple's part, which sounded good in the office 'Let's make it smaller', but in practice actually made it less intuitive. The same functionality could have been achieved if the controls had been placed on the device.

Design for the sake of design is useless. Which is why I'm so surprised Apple went the way it did with this iPod.

Jimzip

I'm telling you- these Koolaid drinkers are in DENIAL.
post #49 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm telling you- these Koolaid drinkers are in DENIAL.

Tell me about it. I used to be one of them!

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #50 of 118
It seems like you're thirteen. Or maybe you just write that way. Just an opinion. You mis-guessed my gender.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #51 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

But Teckstud, you hate everything from Apple. LOL

LOL, I can't imagine why he would. But to each their own.
post #52 of 118
Hey everybody, most forums have this this really great feature that helps with habitual trollers. It's called an ignore list.

Have a nice day. Don't forget to visit your dentist.

/PSA
post #53 of 118
T-stud and friend: If failing to condemn a product based on second-hand reviews while sales are exceeding expectations makes me a Kool-Aid drinker, pass the Grape please.

Listen, I've bought, used, liked, loved, or been disappointed by Apple products since the first Mac. Most are great, some are okay, and a few have been wanting. I've never been shy about dissing an Apple product that didn't make me glad I bought it. But to trash something you have no personal experience with and expect others to line up and sign on to unfounded criticism is just lame.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjK View Post

Hey everybody, most forums have this this really great feature that helps with habitual trollers. It's called an ignore list.

Have a nice day. Don't forget to visit your dentist.

/PSA

Crap! Thank you, I totally forgot! (I'm being 100% serious here, meant to confirm my appointment this arvo!) God bless AI.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #55 of 118
Ignoring starts now.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #56 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

T-stud and friend: If failing to condemn a product based on second-hand reviews while sales are exceeding expectations makes me a Kool-Aid drinker, pass the Grape please.

Listen, I've bought, used, liked, loved, or been disappointed by Apple products since the first Mac. Most are great, some are okay, and a few have been wanting. I've never been shy about dissing an Apple product that didn't make me glad I bought it. But to trash something you have no personal experience with and expect others to line up and sign on to unfounded criticism is just lame.

Ok, fantastic, you love it.

Now tell me how I play music off my stereo with it, and I'll apologise.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #57 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Crap! Thank you, I totally forgot! (I'm being 100% serious here, meant to confirm my appointment this arvo!) God bless AI.

Jimzip

Haha, my appointment's in a week.

Glad I could help out
post #58 of 118
Nah, let's not silence debate.

Every site needs its devil's advocate.

That was my role over at Neowin. Although it's a Windows tech site, it was (and is) still general enough to have a very healthy (and very vocal, that is, until I left) Apple community. Hell, most of the mods there use Macs.

Though I have to admit, AI is an all-Apple site. It would be odd to see Windows users chiming in on the discussion, though it's by no means unwelcome.

Besides, Windows users are so easy to refute.
post #59 of 118
I like the new Shuffle and think it was a nice step forward.

My wife and I simply cannot buy it, however, until there are compatible third party earbuds. The Apple ones simply won't stay in her ears. They fit somewhat better in mine, but they tend to fall out if I move and I can't stand the poor sound.

Are the Apple in-ear headphones compatible with the new Shuffle? Last time I looked the Apple Store didn't list the 3G Shuffle as a compatible iPod.
post #60 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm quite utilitarian in my purchases. Since my current Shuffle sufficient I won't get a new one, but that doesn't mean that the changes I posted for are not welcome. If my current Shuffle is lost, stolen or broke I'll know what I will buy next.

Watch out!! You might be a cool aid kid because you only buy what you need from Apple without complaining and believe in customers choice and product diversity.

To be non cool aid kid you have to buy every Apple product and start whining about each and every one of them all over the threads (even thought you knew they lack the features you complain about before you bought them) . Furthermore, you need to complain about Apple computers refusal to add specific technologies and keep buying them anyway!!

post #61 of 118
AWESOME chart! Dark blue, medium blue, light blue, medium gray, light gray... I don't know how that could have been improved!
post #62 of 118
Ya that 32GB iPod Touch is pretty expensive. Its not really gonna hit in this economy. This might even make apple not to put 32GB in iPhone. Dunno.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #63 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Ok, fantastic, you love it.

Now tell me how I play music off my stereo with it, and I'll apologise.

Jimzip

I must have missed the part where I said I loved it. I don't. Nor do I hate it. I don't know it. That was my entire point. Let those who have actually used the damn thing long enough to give a fair response have the debate. Those of us who haven't should just sit on the sidelines and listen, and not make "it sucks" pronouncements.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #64 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Ok, fantastic, you love it.

Now tell me how I play music off my stereo with it, and I'll apologise.

Jimzip

Why purchase a product if you know it doesn't have the features you want? For example, if I wanted a machine that would encode video quickly, I wouldn't buy a netbook.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #65 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I must have missed the part where I said I loved it. I don't. Nor do I hate it. I don't know it. That was my entire point. Let those who have actually used the damn thing long enough to give a fair response have the debate. Those of us who haven't should just sit on the sidelines and listen, and not make "it sucks" pronouncements.

That's totally fair, but I never said it sucks, I just said a huge design fault was the controls being on the headphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Why purchase a product if you know it doesn't have the features you want? For example, if I wanted a machine that would encode video quickly, I wouldn't buy a netbook.

I don't know why you quoted me there... I didn't buy one, nor will I. I've tried one, and realised the flaws. That's generally what people should do before purchasing something, no?

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #66 of 118
[QUOTE=Jimzip;1397031]That's totally fair, but I never said it sucks, I just said a huge design fault was the controls being on the headphones.

That's actually looking like a big plus. It's pretty much the major feature of the device. It was intended.

But we'll see the real results a few months from now.
post #67 of 118
Up next: Ebert and Roeper critique movies they haven't seen yet.
post #68 of 118
Note the sales for the 32GB iPod Touch. The distinct minority are screaming for 64GB and 128GB models.

I'd love to see the breakdown of iPhone sales, by model.
post #69 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

That's totally fair, but I never said it sucks, I just said a huge design fault was the controls being on the headphones.

That's actually looking like a big plus. It's pretty much the major feature of the device. It was intended.

Ok. How does it look like a big plus?

(And of course it was intended, otherwise it wouldn't have been released.)

I see the merits of the gimmick; I love the thought and the idea behind the voice navigation, I just think it was implemented the wrong way. Explain to me the solution to the problem I posed, whereby the device is useless without the Apple headphones it comes with, and I'll agree that this device is genius, and a step forward.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #70 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Ok. How does it look like a big plus?

(And of course it was intended, otherwise it wouldn't have been released.)

I see the merits of the gimmick; I love the thought and the idea behind the voice navigation, I just think it was implemented the wrong way. Explain to me the solution to the problem I posed, whereby the device is useless without the Apple headphones it comes with, and I'll agree that this device is genius, and a step forward.

Jimzip

You do the same what you usually do when you lose or damage any iPod headphones. Buy new one for $30 or buy third party adapters and use regular headphones. Third party adapters are in their way I believe.
post #71 of 118
I'm just annoyed that the default headphones that come with the iPod Shuffle fit so crappily in my ear. You have to upgrade to the in-ear version to get a decent fit (and I'm not sure those support all of the Shuffle's functions).

Plus, who really wants headphones that cost as much as the player itself? It just doesn't sit well with me.
post #72 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You do the same what you usually do when you lose or damage any iPod headphones. Buy new one for $30 or buy third party adapters and use regular headphones. Third party adapters are in their way I believe.

That ain't a big plus to me ... but whatever, at least replacements are only $30. :/ (I thought they were $79, but that's just the in-ear ones. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850?mco=MTIyNzA)

That said, you shouldn't need an adapter to use this product with something else. You have to agree with me there.

I was endlessly annoyed when I bought my 1st gen iPhone and couldn't use anything with it because the earphone jack was sunk into the device. I had to buy an adapter for that and it's a pain in the neck let me tell you. That's not good design. Apple realised this and fixed it with the iPhone 3G.

This is the reason this limitation irks me, Apple's products are usually so well thought out and polished.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #73 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

That ain't a big plus to me ... but whatever, at least replacements are only $30. :/ (I thought they were $79, but that's just the in-ear ones. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850?mco=MTIyNzA)

That said, you shouldn't need an adapter to use this product with something else. You have to agree with me there.

I was endlessly annoyed when I bought my 1st gen iPhone and couldn't use anything with it because the earphone jack was sunk into the device. I had to buy an adapter for that and it's a pain in the neck let me tell you. That's not good design. Apple realised this and fixed it with the iPhone 3G.

This is the reason this limitation irks me, Apple's products are usually so well thought out and polished.

Jimzip

It might be inconvenient for some people but in general the average buyer stick with whatever comes with his MP3. Telling you the truth, I liked the recessed jacks in the original iPhone because they were solid all around the jack. Every time my 3G iPhone headphones are pulled laterally in my pocket I worry about the casing getting cracked. Cracked headphone jacks were reported for the 3G iPhone on many threads including AI. You can tell I am not an audio person.
post #74 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It might be inconvenient for some people but in general the average buyer stick with whatever comes with his MP3. Telling you the truth, I liked the recessed jacks in the original iPhone because they were solid all around the jack. Every time my 3G iPhone headphones are pulled laterally my pocket I worry about the case getting cracked. Cracked headphone jacks were reported for the 3G iPhone on many threads including AI. You can tell I am not an audio person.

I know! It looked so nice with the Apple earphones meeting the metal, those headphones were the perfect size.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #75 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Ok. How does it look like a big plus?

(And of course it was intended, otherwise it wouldn't have been released.)

I see the merits of the gimmick; I love the thought and the idea behind the voice navigation, I just think it was implemented the wrong way. Explain to me the solution to the problem I posed, whereby the device is useless without the Apple headphones it comes with, and I'll agree that this device is genius, and a step forward.

Jimzip

Why would you use the device without the Apple headphones? Using the Apple headphones is the whole point. The solution . . . is to use the Apple headphones. Why would you want to use anything else?

Don't lose them, I suppose. Then again, you can get a replacement set from Apple.

You'll eventually be able to use third party adapters made for the Shuffle. I don't see a problem.
post #76 of 118
Quote:
That said, you shouldn't need an adapter to use this product with something else. You have to agree with me there.

I was endlessly annoyed when I bought my 1st gen iPhone and couldn't use anything with it because the earphone jack was sunk into the device. I had to buy an adapter for that and it's a pain in the neck let me tell you. That's not good design. Apple realised this and fixed it with the iPhone 3G.

This is the reason this limitation irks me, Apple's products are usually so well thought out and polished.

Yep, and when the dock was introduced on the iPod you couldn't use anything with it. Now look at the market. Seriously, in two years the audio in jacks in most cars could include the components needed to be able to use the forward and reverse buttons on your stereo to control your shuffle, iphone, ipod touch, etc. as long as you have the right cable.

Give it six months and see what your options are before you sit and complain!
post #77 of 118
Whatev. Done!

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #78 of 118
I think the new Shuffle is quite awesome, though it took some getting used to compare to the previous versions. It's good to see that it did well.
post #79 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.

1) I've seen you post a link as a a reply to someone's post, but I haven't clicked on it. I have absolutely no interest in going to another site to read an article just because you have hyperlinked it. You don't post your own pro and con views of the article, you don't summerize the author's general view or quote a paragraph that sums up the point you are trying to push. You just plop a link down as a replay and somehow expect your post to being as a serious post.

2) For all the negative reviews and "my friends all agree" postings you can muster I can find just as many on the opposite end. I implore you to post a balanced comment every once in a while.

3) Nothing is unbiased, but these negative takes on x-product you post are often from anti-x-company sites and authors or, more often, a balanced article that you have personally focused on only seeing the negative aspects that are mentioned. Never seeing the other, positive comments that are stated about the product. What it all comes down to is if the product fits your needs or not. That does make a product bad or good in any way shape or form, it only means it's not the right product for you if it does not meet your needs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #80 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Watch out!! You might be a cool aid kid because you only buy what you need from Apple without complaining and believe in customers choice and product diversity.

To be non cool aid kid you have to buy every Apple product and start whining about each and every one of them all over the threads (even thought you knew they lack the features you complain about before you bought them) . Furthermore, you need to complain about Apple computers refusal to add specific technologies and keep buying them anyway!!

It's ironic that Teckstudian logic states that if you buy an Apple product you don't like and/or don't need you are someone normal, but if you need and/or like a product that Apple makes you are a fanboy.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot