or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft optimistic about Office making its way to iPhone

Microsoft optimistic about Office making its way to iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Oh that makes everything better! Ethics be damned.
"Madoff did not steal the money. He tricked people into giving him the money, that's their fault!"

Those people were STUPID and/or GREEDY- just like the tourists that fall for street card Monty in Times Square or think they are buyin a MAC for $100 and open a shrink wrapped box and find it stuffed with a Sunday NY Times.
It's both party's fault- equally. Get over it.
post #42 of 62
What MS did may be ethically questionable but it wasn't illegal. Proved to be the smartest move they ever made and the dumbest move Apple has ever made.

" fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again." George Bush 2002

Quote:

Oh that makes everything better! Ethics be damned.
"Madoff did not steal the money. He tricked people into giving him the money, that's their fault!"
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What MS did may be ethically questionable but it wasn't illegal. Proved to be the smartest move they ever made and the dumbest move Apple has ever made.

" fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again." George Bush 2002

"I fool him once, shame on shame on him. Fool him again he gets fooled again." Dick Cheney

"Shame, shame, shame!", Gomer Pyle
post #44 of 62
the humble Treo had perfectly compatible Office products 5 years ago that allowed editing of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
post #45 of 62
Microsoft didn't figure out what Mac is. Neither will they what iPhone is.

btw... google app vanished from my iPhone with all its voice searches and two stars of customer satisfaction

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoleno View Post

the humble Treo had perfectly compatible Office products 5 years ago that allowed editing of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

Yes, my Palm had "Documents To Go" from Dataviz, which was brilliant, you had Office programs that you could edit and sync, as well as transfer your iPhoto pics onto it.

As I've already posted previously, Dataviz is working on a new version for the IP & IPT, and this should be the best Office program available. At the moment I have "Air Sharing" and "Flash Drive", but they only give you "read only".

Anyone wanting to use Office apps should wait for this release. For me, OpenOffice, which I use on my Mac would be even better, but I can't see this happening.
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Yes, my Palm had "Documents To Go" from Dataviz, which was brilliant, you had Office programs that you could edit and sync, as well as transfer your iPhoto pics onto it.

As I've already posted previously, Dataviz is working on a new version for the IP & IPT, and this should be the best Office program available. At the moment I have "Air Sharing" and "Flash Drive", but they only give you "read only".

Anyone wanting to use Office apps should wait for this release. For me, OpenOffice, which I use on my Mac would be even better, but I can't see this happening.

Apparently Palm has come up with an emulator that runs old applications on WebOS.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Going forward, the company says it plans to launch an ad-supported version of Office that will run as a Web app in most browsers.

I can just see it now... Clipit pops up to say: "I see you're writing a letter; would you like to buy some stationary for that?".

Arrrgrgggghhhhh.
post #49 of 62
... before entering a new market like iPhone.

This statement by MS really gets under my skin.

The Office 2008 for Mac is no where finished and now they are going to release a version for the iPhone.

What I am talking about is Entourage!

It does not work with Exchange correctly!

I have a $300.00 dollar charge on a company credit card and emails back and forth to India... I mean Microsoft to back me up.

Even they could not get Entourage to operate correctly with our Exchange server even after we reloaded several DLL files.

So we have to use either CrossOver (Wine) to run Outlook 2007 or Parallels... JUST FOR EMAIL! (Calendars, Global Contact List ect.ect)

I hope that MacMail in SL has better support for Exchange like it has on the iPhone. (We have dumped all 37 BlackBerry's except for 2 in favor for the iPhone now because of the Exchange support.)

They do that and we can stop using so many 3rd party apps JUST TO USE EXCHANGE!
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apparently Palm has come up with an emulator that runs old applications on WebOS.

Yes, I saw that thanks. I think it's a great idea for anyone with a newer Palm. Although mine still works well, it's too old to run (I think) with the emulator, and I have moved over to the IPT anyway. But I hope the Pre does well, Palm's UI is as good if not sometimes better than Apples, but unfortunately they have lost their way and I have an IPT instead, which I love.

I would like to see Palm make a success of their Pre as it will help to keep Apple on it's toes, and for anyone who can't afford an iPhone, would make an excellent alternative.
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Why did it take until iPhone 2.0 to even get the (rather rudimentary) Contacts app on the iPhone?

As of iPhone 3.0, there is no more Contacts 'app' and I'm glad they came to their senses. Why would anyone want that stupid Contacts 'app' wasting space on their home screen when you have the same thing in the phone app? I really wish Apple would let you remove their apps. I don't need a lot of the built in apps and I end up moving them to the last screen so they don't get in the way.
post #52 of 62
Quote:

"I fool him once, shame on shame on him. Fool him again he gets fooled again." Dick Cheney

"Shame, shame, shame!", Gomer Pyle

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me....uh...fool me...uh...the teleprompter just died..."--Barack Obama

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

As of iPhone 3.0, there is no more Contacts 'app' and I'm glad they came to their senses. Why would anyone want that stupid Contacts 'app' wasting space on their home screen when you have the same thing in the phone app? I really wish Apple would let you remove their apps. I don't need a lot of the built in apps and I end up moving them to the last screen so they don't get in the way.

My 3.0 has a contacts app. I see no point of it except when trying to find contact info while on a call, though I know some people don't like having to click on the phone app to get to contacts.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #54 of 62

Yours is just made up, the one from Bush is a direct quote from what he actually said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me....uh...fool me...uh...the teleprompter just died..."--Barack Obama
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My 3.0 has a contacts app. I see no point of it except when trying to find contact info while on a call, though I know some people don't like having to click on the phone app to get to contacts.

That's strange, I don't have it. I just double checked. Hmmm...
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

That's strange, I don't have it. I just double checked. Hmmm...

I'm running Beta 2. It's the first column, first row of the seconds home screen just like on v2.x.
post #57 of 62
If I had an iPhone I would hope to hell that there would be some other option to edit my Office files than something made by MS. Their Mac version of Office is always MUCH slower on same or better Mac hardware, it's crash prone, and buggy.

Luckily I have the luxury of running to my less powered Windows box to do ANYTHING in Word or Excel instead of doing it on my Mac. It is inexcusable that a much less powerful Windows box can run circles around my more powerful Mac running the same Office apps!

Awesome, I just got a crash notification from Entourage as I write this. Thanks MS!!
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yours is just made up, the one from Bush is a direct quote from what he actually said.

I know. We are allowed to poke fun at Barack Obama too, are we not?

Obama did actually say this:

"Over the last 15 months, weve traveled to every corner of the United States. Ive now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."

post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I too have been using Open Office .org for many years, the one thing I see in preventing it's implementation on iphone OS is it's heavy reliance on java.

I have also watched Microsoft's somewhat shady attempts to buy open document format ratification for their Office products, maybe going more web based will help them acheive this.

Nothing in the Java backend keeps a Cocoa services add-on for OpenOffice iPhone. In fact, they would keep the backend stuff lit as WebServices while their front-end and suite leverages the backend through such services.

NeXT perfected Portable Distributed Objects. Java borrowed much of it's design from ObjC and Cocoa. Having the backend of distributed servers managing lightweight database snapshots or what have you for OpenOffice is not a problem. Hell, it's obvious that OpenOffice for Cocoa doesn't need the Java and would just leverage the heavy use of C++ via ObjC++.

The UNO APIs for OpenOffice are in both Java and C++.

http://api.openoffice.org/

The AWT and Beans APIs have far more robust counterparts in Cocoa.
post #60 of 62
Quote:

Interesting comment! Where were you when Bill Gates released Windows 3.0?
Oh, and don't lock your car door-that would be paranoid!

I know that your comment wasn't directed at me, but I thought I would throw my $ .02 in anyway.

Actually, I was there. It was held at a private convention hall at the Spring Comdex in Atlanta, GA and was by wrist-strap entry only. Somebody confused me as someone else, and I was invited.

I was there promoting (and trying to score a deal for) a then little known software developer that wrote an amazing Mac video game, about a problem on a moon base, that offered full motion tracking. The rest, as they say, is history.

The University of Washington marching band was in full force and did the opening number. Then Billy Boy himself took the stage and talked about all the supposedly "cool" things to come. Then the rock group Chicago took the stage and the rest was the usual drink and party. As a die hard Mac guy surrounded by MS lovin' misfits, it was the 90's version of being a die hard liberal who ends up spending a weekend in Maine will the ENTIRE Bush la familia.

Scary as hell!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #61 of 62
Yes we are allowed to make fun of Obama too. I'm just saying I brought up something Bush actually said.

In all fairness we have 8 years of Bush quotes, we need to give Obama a couple more years to see what he comes up with. My feeling is that Bush will be proven to have a special talent that no one else can equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I know. We are allowed to poke fun at Barack Obama too, are we not?

Obama did actually say this:

"Over the last 15 months, weve traveled to every corner of the United States. Ive now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."
post #62 of 62
Don't put that junk on the iphone. Let them put it on the junk zune.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft optimistic about Office making its way to iPhone