or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sorry but I wasn't supervising so promote me

Sorry but I wasn't supervising so promote me

post #1 of 8
Washington Post

(/aside "Is the mind-control teleprompter turned on yet? It is? Good, let's roll.")

Hello, my name is Timothy Geithner and I'm going to discuss some facts so that you can quickly forget them. As you may well be aware there is a huge financial mess. People note that it may be due to lack strict regulation, deregulation, or lack of opposition to deregulation.

What I need you to do me a favor and forget is that I'm the guy that was in charge of all those possibilities. See the Federal Reserve is separate from the Government and I was in charge of the New York branch that oversees Wall Street. I could choose to strictly enforce or even read extra broadly all regulatory statutes related to the banks, financial institutions and instruments. I could have decried any deregulation, exceptions granted to leverage ratios and finally I could have pressed for any omissions or changes in regulations I thought were necessary.

What I need you to also forget is that I did none of these things, have now become the Treasury Secretary. We are now going to bet the entire economy and future based off my lack of ability to recognize and address the prior crisis but we will now fix it by being more charismatic and also more hopey and changey. I want you to remember that it is all the fault of Bush. It isn't the fault of anyone in New York associated with you know, overseeing Wall Street and banks.

Thanks and now please forget this information we have now disclosed.

(/aside "And we're out." "No I'm not too worried, Stewart and Colbert aren't going to go after any of this because it is associated with Obama man. I mean "no one" has conveniently found anything funny about him yet in oh.... two years. Yeah I know he has Special Olympic Bowlers challenging him to games and a VP that is insane gaffe machine but.. you know we mean funny in that Republicans are fun to call idiots way.")

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 8

These days it seems that Washington D.C. politicians and their supporters are very practiced in the art of "doublethink". Either that, or they just do it naturally.

In either case, it's necessary in order to continue to support and defend either major political party anymore.

If anyone here hasn't yet, I highly recommend the novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

These days it seems that Washington D.C. politicians and their supporters are very practiced in the art of "doublethink". Either that, or they just do it naturally.

In either case, it's necessary in order to continue to support and defend either major political party anymore.

If anyone here hasn't yet, I highly recommend the novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell.

Hi Naples.
post #4 of 8
Naples is a place, isn't it?

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

These truly are doublespeak times. Obama says we are going to be "responsible" by printing up and spending trillions. The anti-war candidate is sending more troops into Afghanistan. It is troubling that people focus so much on his delivery to avoid noting the language itself within that delivery is so contradictory. It amounts to noting that you can't defend what he says but we sure like how he looks and sounds while saying it.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

These truly are doublespeak times. Obama says we are going to be "responsible" by printing up and spending trillions. The anti-war candidate is sending more troops into Afghanistan. It is troubling that people focus so much on his delivery to avoid noting the language itself within that delivery is so contradictory. It amounts to noting that you can't defend what he says but we sure like how he looks and sounds while saying it.

You forgot about doing away with illegal wire taps.

Obama Then

Obama Now

post #7 of 8
I gotta leave some items out there for someone else.

Looks like there is a new piece of double-think. We have the non-bow bow.

It really doesn't matter whether you think it right or wrong. The main point is... it didn't happen.

post #8 of 8
Doublethink, as defined by George Orwell in Nineteen Eighty-Four:

Quote:
The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them....To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies — all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sorry but I wasn't supervising so promote me