or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power

Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power - Page 6

post #201 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

By the way, Apple uses better parts in general for things like: hard disks, LCD screens, transformers, cabling, etc. Look it up.

Aluminum, glass, and better materials in general obviously cost more. That cost is also passed on to the consumer.

this is untrue.

the new LCD screens are nothing short of great, but they still use some of the worst LCD screens from any major manufacturer in their iMac lineup. they also often use slower HDDs than the competition, and those hard drives are more susceptible to being ruined if you use your Mac on the go.

their cables tend to be over priced, along with their headphones, which are also very poor quality.

look it up.
post #202 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What a useless argument, why don't you line up at a foodbank instead of buying food, after all it's cheaper and everone is thinking cheap these days.

What a useless reply also. If you want to go that route, show me a loaf of bread that cost $2000 vs a loaf of bread that cost $1.00.

If there is such a thing you would buy that $2000 dollar loaf of bread because its softer and has twice the shelf life. That just about sums up your point.
post #203 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Great advantages, but it doesn't matter. It will never be mentioned on the ad. The only thing that rings a huge bell to potential viewers/buyers is the price and the seemingly bigger spec numbers on the product. For some who need a new computer or upgrade, this is good enough than the pricier Mac.

You do have a point.

Apple doesn't really target the kind of consumer that is pictured in the ad. Would be nice to coax that segment into a Mac purchase as well, but I really don't think it's going to happen.
post #204 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You do have a point.

Apple doesn't really target the kind of consumer that is pictured in the ad. Would be nice to coax that segment into a Mac purchase as well, but I really don't think it's going to happen.

I'm not giving up though. Whenever a person asks me for advice, I will drill in their head the advantages of the Mac and why the price is justified. As a Mac fan, I hope we all keep doing so to counter this sleazy cheap shot that MS has finally pulled out of its ass.
post #205 of 521
Quote:

The Apple fanbase is hurting in this economy too.

If your a Mac user with an older Mac and just lost your job or have a fear of losing your job, had your wages cut, and you need a new computer, which will you buy?

I'd like to think I'd chose make a long term decision and get a Mac. If I was in a position to be financially hurting and I did 'need' a new machine (which I have to assume means my current one is broken otherwise I don't see why that would be need) I would go for a used Mac over a new PC.

If I thought it was only for the short term I might go for a desktop instead of my usual notebook, which allows me to get more machine for my dollar. That in itself is something to be discussed as most people by notebooks in the US over desktops yet most people don't need notebooks, they simply want them for their portability.

There are so many things I can do to save money and cut back that don't require me to buy a new HP notebook.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #206 of 521
Quote:

The Apple fanbase is hurting in this economy too.

If your a Mac user with an older Mac and just lost your job or have a fear of losing your job, had your wages cut, and you need a new computer, which will you buy?

I fully agree with this. Apple needs to have at least one computer in each category aimed at being "affordable quality." It doesn't have to be the cheapest. In fact it can still be the higher priced compared to comparable specs but not the highest specs out there. It just needs a medium specced computer where the base model is attractive, not stripped down, but a good machine priced at the top end of what consumers in a contracting economy will be willing to pay for the middle tier product in their overall lineup within a category.

I guess that is the difficulty Apple has always struggled with, that sweat spot of price just at the tipping point that gets people to say to themselves, "it's a little pricey, but what the hell I'm going for it" vs. "It's a high end machine and I really want one, but I just can't spend that much for a computer when I don't need really that much computer."
post #207 of 521
I wonder how much this insurgency of trolls has cost Microsoft's advertising company? Time to administer the Ritalin nurse! The little darlings are getting out of hand.
post #208 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Is English your first language?
Have you ever even *been* to a college or University? ...

You are a very lucky guy not to be banned form this site for all the personal attacks you make...

Forums are for debates and conversations...

post #209 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Hours installing antivirus and antispyware programs? Yeah right. Vista comes with Windows Defender...

And what about the HP's firewire port, express card slot, HDMI out and, from what I can tell from their web site, an optical drive with Blu-ray capability? Don't see those on the MacBook anywhere.

I prefer not needing an anti-virus, most are a PITA; I've seen (seemingly) well-behaved enterprise McAfee installs however.

Such laptops break down in my experience- those with 10-in-1 readers and ports galore. Toshibas, HP/Compaqs, inexpensive notebooks, etc. They overheat and sustain MOBO damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post

A 15-inch Macbook Pro with
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 Dimms)
  • 250GB Serial ATA HDD @ 5400rpm
  • 8x optical disc drive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory
costs $2099.00.

I then went to dell.com and looked at a computer there, and customized it a bit.

A 16-inch Dell Studio XPS 16 with
  • Intel® Core 2 Duo T9800 (6MB cache/2.93GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
  • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit (yes, it really can handle the next entry...)
  • 5GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
  • 320GB Serial ATA HDD @ 7200rpm
  • 8X optical drive (DVD+/- R/RW CD-RW)
  • ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 3670 graphics card with 512MB dedicated video memory
costs $1,949.00.

...What does a Macintosh have that could possibly justify this? And don't tell me that Macs are more reliable. They may be, but I have had a Dell laptop for three and a half years, and I have had zero problems with the hardware.

Great work.

Get XPS/Alienware/Sager if you want raw performance, but like a sports car, don't expect low-maintenance, amenities, or a usable cupholder.

Get Macbook/Pro if prefer a smooth problem & stress-free ride, with great amenities.
post #210 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd like to think I'd chose make a long term decision and get a Mac. If I was in a position to be financially hurting and I did 'need' a new machine (which I have to assume means my current one is broken otherwise I don't see why that would be need) I would go for a used Mac over a new PC.

If I thought it was only for the short term I might go for a desktop instead of my usual notebook, which allows me to get more machine for my dollar. That in itself is something to be discussed as most people by notebooks in the US over desktops yet most people don't need notebooks, they simply want them for their portability.

There are so many things I can do to save money and cut back that don't require me to buy a new HP notebook.

Unless something has changed I don't know about, Snow Leopard is Intell only. That means if you want to remain current (which is pretty much a necessity unless you plan to only run unsupported legacy aps for the next few years) you'll need a new machine in a few months if you have a PPC (and you want to stick with the platform you've invested in as an Apple customer). This is true even if a G5 still suits your needs processor wise. Also, for professionals who need a computer at home they pay for out of their own pocket to match the one they have at work, there is a point where the difference in performance (read don't want to stay up all night waiting for something to render on my G5 when it would render in minutes on a newer machine) makes keeping the older machine costly time-wise, but buying a new computer means "jumping in again" a difficult decision to make money-wise.
post #211 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

I fully agree with this. Apple needs to have at least one computer in each category aimed at being "affordable quality." It doesn't have to be the cheapest. In fact it can still be the higher priced compared to comparable specs but not the highest specs out there. It just needs a medium specced computer where the base model is attractive, not stripped down, but a good machine priced at the top end of what consumers in a contracting economy will be willing to pay for the middle tier product in their overall lineup within a category.

I guess that is the difficulty Apple has always struggled with, that sweat spot of price just at the tipping point that gets people to say to themselves, "it's a little pricey, but what the hell I'm going for it" vs. "It's a high end machine and I really want one, but I just can't spend that much for a computer when I don't need really that much computer."

They have the Mini, although it's still lacking in RAM and HD. Other than that, it's OK, but I think Apple could really reduce costs if they went to something a bit bigger (even an mATX board, with standard desktop components).

For most everything else has, I see a premium price, but lacking premium components. The 20" iMac and MB use fairly crappy LCDs, they use the same RAM and HDs as everyone else, but skimp a bit on HD size (when everyone else is including 250+ GB drives, Apple is still sporting a 5400 RPM 120 GB drive in the MB). And the Nvidia 9400M is just another IGP, I mean Nvidia is going to be using that GPU in their Ion platform before too long (and Acer just released a Atom-based nettop with the Ion platform IIRC).
post #212 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

i WANT an iMac, but with todays economy, i think im going to end up with something else. most likely the new Dell All-in-one that is releasing this month or next. the reason? cost. no other reason, there is a very large difference when spending teh same amount of money... worth $700+ in differences. in todays world, thats huge.

thats one sale right there. i would spend $300 more on a comparative apple all-in-one. i think thats a fair amount to ask, not $700+.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=Mjk1NDEwOQ
post #213 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

They have the Mini, although it's still lacking in RAM and HD. Other than that, it's OK, but I think Apple could really reduce costs if they went to something a bit bigger (even an mATX board, with standard desktop components).

For most everything else has, I see a premium price, but lacking premium components. The 20" iMac and MB use fairly crappy LCDs, they use the same RAM and HDs as everyone else, but skimp a bit on HD size (when everyone else is including 250+ GB drives, Apple is still sporting a 5400 RPM 120 GB drive in the MB). And the Nvidia 9400M is just another IGP, I mean Nvidia is going to be using that GPU in their Ion platform before too long (and Acer just released a Atom-based nettop with the Ion platform IIRC).

Take the iMac, put it in a minitower, pizza box, whatever format, minus the premium for laptop components and the cost and limitations of built in monitor, SOLD (to me at least).
post #214 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post

Mac OSX is worth nine hundred fucking dollars? Get real.
I could by an entire computer for that much money.
So I get two computers with Windows, you get one with OSX, and you are honestly telling me that you think you got a better deal? What the hell is wrong with you?

OS X is worth quite a bit in time savings. I never got a virus when I ran Windows, but many people asked me for help when they got one. It was a nightmare - and you never really knew it was gone.

And Windows Update is a disgrace, plain and simple.

Is the Mac perfect? No. But I wouldn't trade mine for three PCs. I used to make my living as an MCSE, I know how to manage computers. I don't miss anything about Windows.

I think OS X is worth at least double its retail price - especially given Microsoft's price sheet.

Why can't I just stay out of Mac vs PC discussions??
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #215 of 521
The discussions of Mac vs PC really are pointless. What's more interesting is how these ads are polarising opinion in a way that hasn't happened for a while; hence the quite juvenile trolling going on here. Presumably MS are trying to staunch the loss of market and mind share by being faux-honest about the cheapness of the PC hardware offerings. They must be fully aware that a) anybody who understand the Apple ethos isn't going to give a toss about these ads and b) the ads can only re-enforce the Apple brand. They must surely also be aware of how God-awful the ads are. What's the mind game going on here?

Very odd but highly entertaining.

Meanwhile Apple is quietly creating the next monopoly platform with which MS has already lost the chance of competing (shh... over here. Look at this. Its called an iPhone)
post #216 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

OS X is worth quite a bit in time savings. I never got a virus when I ran Windows, but many people asked me for help when they got one. It was a nightmare - and you never really knew it was gone.

And Windows Update is a disgrace, plain and simple.

Is the Mac perfect? No. But I wouldn't trade mine for three PCs. I used to make my living as an MCSE, I know how to manage computers. I don't miss anything about Windows.

I think OS X is worth at least double its retail price - especially given Microsoft's price sheet.

Why can't I just stay out of Mac vs PC discussions??

I'd like to stay away also, but Microsoft has dealt a low blow with this ad campaign.

Rather than argue the merits between each OS/Software/Hardware, MS decides to take advantage of the current economic crisis. Its now not about why each company can truly empower the user. MS instead borrowed from the old sleazy used car salesman technique. Cheap sells.
post #217 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

The discussions of Mac vs PC really are pointless. What's more interesting is how these ads are polarising opinion in a way that hasn't happened for a while; hence the quite juvenile trolling going on here.

The ads are bringing a lot more people to these forums. I wonder if these ads will do more to sell more Macs than they will to sell more HPs. I do find it odd that they include a part where he emotionally states that the Mac is so sexy. That isn't something I would have included in a commercial against Macs.
post #218 of 521
>>Microsoft are now LITERALLY resorting to propaganda techniques used in World War II.

Uh no joke, business is war. So it is ok for Apple to poke fun at Microsoft in advertisements, but when they fight back, you can't handle it, so grow up.
post #219 of 521
There's a difference between a mosquito biting an elephant, and an elephant excreting all over the mosquito. What we are seeing here is the latter. And we are supposed to be impressed!
post #220 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The ads are bringing a lot more people to these forums. I wonder if these ads will do more to sell more Macs than they will to sell more HPs. I do find it odd that they include a part where he emotionally states that the Mac is so sexy. That isn't something I would have included in a commercial against Macs.

Well, the issue is that its not a commercial against Macs per se.

its a commercial that the macs are sexy and cool, but if you have a set bunch of requirements (however worthless they are) or a specific budget, then apple does not provide a lot of choice. With "PC's" you can get it the way you want, they are offering choice.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #221 of 521
Quote:

I'd like to stay away also, but Microsoft has dealt a low blow with this ad campaign.

Rather than argue the merits between each OS/Software/Hardware, MS decides to take advantage of the current economic crisis. Its now not about why each company can truly empower the user. MS instead borrowed from the old sleazy used car salesman technique. Cheap sells.

That's just forum's like this one where, let's face it, geeks like us talk about this stuff for entertainment purposes for the fun of intellectual debate (or the fun of fighting with strangers). The vast majority of people who see these (and Apple's ads) don't give a rats a$$. Most people I'm guessing don't rely on either MS or Apple's ads when they make their final decision and plunk down their hard earned cabbage. They rely more on personal experience and the opinions of friends and acquaintances more.
post #222 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike London View Post

I work in the advertising industry and we have a saying that "poor innovation leads to heavy advertising" - I think this applies to MS and this advert so clearly...

Where I am, I barely ever see any adverts for PC's. Occasionally a TV advert for Dell, and if I look in the PC magazines I see a whole bunch. the vast majority of the media advertising around computers are Apples, especially their current push over their green notebooks. COnstant, heavy tv adverting and in print advertising. thats without even touching on the constant iPod touch adverts.

If poor innovation leads to heavy advertising, where does this leave Apple?
post #223 of 521
Microsoft should easily be able to beat prices for 17" laptops.

Gateway, excellent price:
- http://www.gateway.com/systems/serie...pid=ms_pseries
- $849, $1299, $1799 (has Q9000 which is quad-core).
- They use to sell a laptop with 1920x1200 17" LCD display in models not listed above. I own one and it is much cheaper than any Apple 17" laptop.

Alienware, always kicks ass:
- http://www.alienware.com/products/m1...de=SKU-DEFAULT

HP and SONY have lots of great models too.

----

I laugh when Apple fanboys tell me that Apple hardware is better, what a f*cking joke. Apple doesn't make the processor, nor does Apple make the hard drive, nor does Apple make the optical disc drive, nor does Apple make the RAM. The Microsoft computers have lots of components that are IDENTICAL as the Apple computers...and only FOOLS believe otherwise.

----
post #224 of 521
AI doesn't post a story every time Apple has a new ad out. Why are they doing it, 3 times now, for MS ads? They're flamebaiting for traffic. Seriously, AI, grow up.

Every one of these articles/threads are going to be identical... rinse-and-repeat bickering that changes nobody's mind.

BTW, it's also weak to accuse the new posters of all being paid MS marketers. That's the result of AI's flamebaiting in the first place. Thank AI for it.

Anyway... these ads are kind of lame, mainly because they preach to the choir. Apple's Mac ads did the same thing for a long time too... until the "I'm a Mac" campaign, which was their first successful one in many years (hence why it's still running while all others were short-lived).

MS's campaign will be as short-lived as Apple's failed ones too.

Move on, AI. Your Apple stories are a lot more productive than your Microsoft ones.
post #225 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

yeah, and you completely ignore the fact that he loves Apples as well. just because someone is open minded enough to like both companies at the same time does not make them a troll. if they made a "i like apple and microsoft forum" then people like us would have a different place to go. but there isnt one, not one with any traffic anyway.

for now you'll just have to deal with us sound minded "trolls" and deal with having to read both sides to every story...

His point is that saying that the only reason Apple is any good is because they have to compete so hard with Microsoft is offensive. Microsoft has been behind Apple for years in terms of innovation and features and consistency in UI design.

Add to that the fact that Windows 1.0 was what modern copyright law would call source code theft and you can't expect a rational person not to get angry.

Regardless of everything else, Apple was treated as a lesser company than Microsoft and that's what angered him. Playing it down the center is not open minded, it's unprincipled.
post #226 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightenment View Post

Microsoft should easily be able to beat prices for 17" laptops.

Gateway, excellent price:
- http://www.gateway.com/systems/serie...pid=ms_pseries
- $849, $1299, $1799 (has Q9000 which is quad-core).
- They use to sell a laptop with 1920x1200 17" LCD display in models not listed above. I own one and it is much cheaper than any Apple 17" laptop.

Alienware, always kicks ass:
- http://www.alienware.com/products/m1...de=SKU-DEFAULT

HP and SONY have lots of great models too.

----

I laugh when Apple fanboys tell me that Apple hardware is better, what a f*cking joke. Apple doesn't make the processor, nor does Apple make the hard drive, nor does Apple make the optical disc drive, nor does Apple make the RAM. The Microsoft computers have lots of components that are IDENTICAL as the Apple computers...and only FOOLS believe otherwise.

----

You are seriously nihilistic. No company on the face of the earth produces all of its components. However, some manufacturers use higher quality materials and test their systems better. You can easily find a computer with better specs and a lower price than some of Lenovo's units, but I dare you to quality test them. Go ahead, try a Dell, I doubt the OS was even installed correctly before shipping as has been the case on many Mini 10s.

Hardware is only as good as the operating system it runs on and that Fisher Price joke Windows will be dead within ten years. Apple and Google are gonna kill Microsoft without even trying. I laugh when Windows fanboys push their egocentric communist ideals upon the world.
post #227 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

AI doesn't post a story every time Apple has a new ad out. Why are they doing it, 3 times now, for MS ads? They're flamebaiting for traffic. Seriously, AI, grow up.

Every one of these articles/threads are going to be identical... rinse-and-repeat bickering that changes nobody's mind.

BTW, it's also weak to accuse the new posters of all being paid MS marketers. That's the result of AI's flamebaiting in the first place. Thank AI for it.

Anyway... these ads are kind of lame, mainly because they preach to the choir. Apple's Mac ads did the same thing for a long time too... until the "I'm a Mac" campaign, which was their first successful one in many years (hence why it's still running while all others were short-lived).

MS's campaign will be as short-lived as Apple's failed ones too.

Move on, AI. Your Apple stories are a lot more productive than your Microsoft ones.

There's this thing called advertising revenue that websites live on. Flame baiting increases such revenue by attracting web traffic. Again, all of you need to learn economics. Stop getting so prissy over things that keep websites like these running.
post #228 of 521
Oh... the last line "I'm a PC, because I'm... really picky." makes me feel embarrassed on behalf of everybody involved in making this ad.
But, if a handsome young dude says it on TV it's gotta be true, right?

I can imagine Apple's commercial team is setting up a counter strike, much like with the "V Word" ad.
post #229 of 521
I use a HP desktop at work (fortunately running Linux). On that machine and several others sold by HP (though I haven't bothered to look up the machine in this add) HP has crippled the Intel VT and AMD SVM technology that allows hardware virtualization. This ad campaign is ridiculous.
post #230 of 521
So he bought a PC... woopdy doo... is he going to get laid with his new purchase? HELL NO!!!

Face it M$ fanboy$, chicks love macs =D
post #231 of 521
All of you guys are so butt-hurt over these ads that state the obvious. Macs. Are. Overpriced.

(From my Lenovo)
Thank you, and goodnight.
post #232 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

There's this thing called advertising revenue that websites live on. Flame baiting increases such revenue by attracting web traffic. Again, all of you need to learn economics. Stop getting so prissy over things that keep websites like these running.

Don't be so presumptuous to assume we don't know why they're flamebaiting.
post #233 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim chi View Post

ok just to set the record straight on the macbook pro 15's battery ... it pretty much sucks. i get 3.5 hours out of it if i'm lucky, with almost everything shut down, the discrete graphics turned off, and the screen only illuminated to 2 bars. i've never gotten over 4 hours in this configuration, even when the machine was new.

yes i called apple and went through the battery checking processes ... the battery is fine. it's just that the 5 hour claim on the battery is practically unachievable. what's pathetic is that mac shaved off just a little of the battery to make the mbpro thinner and weigh less. and now i just end up using my macbook white all the time, whose 2.4 ghz processor and 4gb of ram is just fine for me ... and whose battery life is more like 5.5 hours with the same behavior. i can't even leave the house with my macbook pro without taking the adapter and worrying about it.

obviously, they should have released that "breakthrough battery" -- read: more marketing gimmickry from apple as there is nothing revolutionary about the 17's battery besides the fact that it's just really effin' big -- as at least at option for the 15's. of course they wouldn't because they like to artificially make barriers between their products so they don't compete with each other. case in point: the macbook white and the new regular macbook. ironically, apple's reasoning for downplaying the white and having people shell out extra coin is coupled with the "it's your duty to be green" rhetoric their current ads are forcing upon us, but isn't this the company who made a name for itself marketing sexy plastic? wasn't and (and isn't) that old macbook white still one of their best sellers? come on, i drive a prius ... i'm green. now give me what i want.

apple people ... stop being such fanbois ... if you l like the hardware and the OS, buy the stuff ... heck even pay more for it. but don't go thinking that jobs is a god and his hardware descended from heaven. he's not and it didn't.

You pretty much suck too. You want us to believe in you and not in like... everyone else?

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #234 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Why not compare the HP, to the white MB that Apple still sells, that also has DDR2-667 MHz RAM and a 1066 MHz FSB?

I'm not sure if that would benefit HP or Apple more, but it's not like HP isn't the only one pairing a new C2D with older DDR2. And I'm not even sure how important DDR3 vs DDR2 is current laptops, desktops with faster RAM and lower latencies may see more of a difference, but laptops are generally slower than desktops no matter what.

Although the HP does have the Geforce 9600M, which Apple only offers on the MBP. And the article does mention that he did choose Vista 64-bit, but that's a 64-bit OS now, while Apple is still using a 32-bit kernel and PAE, until Snow Leopard, but it's still not a true 64-bit OS ATM.

It seems DDR3 makes sense only on new Intel i7 platform. Intel Core 2 (both Duo and Quad) as well as new AMD Phenom II simply do not benefit from DDR3 memory - difference is hardly measurable at all; specially with low speed DDR3 modules which - I think - Apple is currently using in iMacs and Macbooks..?
post #235 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpt View Post

Everyone here is obviously biased. I have both a Mac and a PC, and Macs can't do everything a PC can without running the Mac AS the PC... and PC's are not as reliable as Macs because Macs are built to run fine exactly as-is and is restricted to a bunch of Apple anti-consumer licensing... So they are equal but on different levels.

Quit pretending that Mac is better. They are the same.

Maybe because it is THE DEVELOPERS FAULT, NOT APPLE'S?! There are tons and tons of reasons why Macs are superior. But you know, there are so many people creating accounts just to bash Apple with no proof (or wrong arguments) that I'm going to start replying to those losers! If you want to know these reasons, check my replies!

post #236 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

If I'm not mistaking, the laptop probably has dual channel ram, meaning 533+533=1066? :o

I do admit commercial is cheesy tho.

And DDR3 has triple-channel RAM

Meaning 1066+1066+1066=3198, by your logic. Duh

post #237 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

I hope Apple wakes up and realizes they don't need to extort such high prices for their hardware. Any company that has $18 billion in the bank has way too much profit margin!

Stupid Ad. I hope M$ wakes up and realizes that they are DOOMED. Apple doesn't need to be cheap to sell Macs.

post #238 of 521
To HP/MS:
How can I get into one of your ads? Pick me, Pick me PLEASE!
post #239 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by codedude View Post

Apple and M$ both suck royally ..........if Giampaolo was really tech savy he would picked computer and installed linux on top of it ...........only thing windows is good for is playing games and apple is good for showing off that beautiful aluminium case .......just buy core 17 latpot from acer with no OS and install linux didtro like ubuntu on it ........... linux is for people who actually want things to works .......like 20,000 google staff uses linux distro called gobuntu ........besides linux powering thier servers .even apple insider runs on linux

\tSite\tSite Report\tFirst seen\tNetblock\tOS
1.\twww.appleinsider.com \tSite Report \tseptember 1998 \t260 king st \tlinux - centos
2.\tforums.appleinsider.com \tSite Report \tfebuary 2002 \t260 king st \tlinux - centos
3.\tappleinsider.com \tSite Report \tfebuary 1999 \t260 king st \tunknown
4.\timages.appleinsider.com \tSite Report \tfebuary 2004 \taffinity internet, inc \tlinux

http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?posit...pleinsider.com

Dont be losers choose linux today

Horrible wait to try to sell Linux.
Oh, wait...

Do you FOOKING KNOW what the new Mac Pro Xeons are?

Precision-made, noble silicon based, ECC supporting and much faster i7s. The entire Mac platform is going to move to Nehalem the next update, so PLEASE, stop using i7 as a OMG-THATS-FAST factor.

Plus, Linux isn't nearly as good as OS X, and has a software variety that would make 1999's Apple seem huge.

It may be stable and all, but WHAT are you gonna do with it?

post #240 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdue View Post

iLife is free; so is Open Office-available for all. For that matter, it's widely known, at least outside of the Mac circle, that one can find open source apps for nearly all your needs on your PC. So I'd advise looking for another argument than the software niche.

I went into an apple store on the Central Coast in California, looked at a macbook air, and asked the salesguy, "why does one macbook air have flash memory for storage, and the other have a hard drive?" He paused, looked at the spec sheets, said, "hmmm...that's a good queistion....I don't know."

We had actually gone into the apple store looking for a replacement battery for my wife's three year old G4 iBook; battery life is down to less than 10 minutes unplugged.

iLife isn't supposed to have Office programs. So, all of the following non-sense you say just turned into a confirmed non-sense. How can you expect me to believe all of this crazy stuff? Your credibility was killed in the very first line...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power