post #521 of 521
Oh I knew you were gonna chewed up and spit out real good a few paras into your "sensible sounding" windbag length post. 'Specially on these boards. Actually, I found parts a good read, but the piece I want to take your somewhat elistist butt to task for is for totally failing to understand Apple's relationship with the open source community.

In point of fact, Apple is a major contributor (both of code and resources) to the OSource communities it works with rather than the predatory repackager you make them out to be. This is of course muchly in their own interest since OS X rests on an open kernel, but over the years, after some or much difficultly, reports are that by and large both Apple and most of the Open folk with whom it works lately mostly find their relationship mutually beneficial.

Further, they are not alone in this. IBM may be the biggest funder of the open source projects which get big corp funding.

Again, this is not purely altruistic on anyone's part - but it also indicates neither Apple nor IBM buy the ridiculous assertion that Linux is about to move into heaven's 7th house and rule the binary planet until Jupiter aligns again with Mars. Open source is wonderful. Open source has its place. Open source gave us Firefox and more. But it couldn't even keep its hold on the windup laptops distributed to the 3rd world which ended up mostly running XP just as "netbooks" have.

So it's a laboratory, a seed bed, a great testing environment, and an alternate development environment for those who can't live under suits, but saying it will become the mainstream source of OS and apps is an oxymoron, along the lines of "the world of the near future will be run by anarchist procrastinators."

Another shot you deserve across your down-looking brow is the idea that real techies can't get jiggy on a Mac running the latest iteration of OS X. Which as everybody except you reading this thread knows has complete command line access and can do anything any Unix computer can do. And constantly improving sophisticated development environments.

Sheesh, Watson, it's elementary......

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.