or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple listing implies iPod touch to eventually gain digital camera

Apple listing implies iPod touch to eventually gain digital camera - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We all have different standards. Some people even have none.

Or most cells phones have video cameras. iPhone owners have none.
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Or most cells phones have video cameras. iPhone owners have none.

Not most. Some have video cameras. If you're talking about smartphones, more of them do.

I'd like to see the evidence that most people really want one.

And I'm not saying Apple shouldn't do it. If it doesn't add to the cost, they should go for it.

But Apple isn't doing what most other cell manufacturers have done over the past few years with smartphones. They have looked at each phone as a one off product, unrelated to the one before, or the one after.

Apple is trying to build a consistent platform. I don't understand the rush to get every feature right away. The one advantage to cells that computers don't have, is cost. If we're going to get a phone contract anyway, and want certain uses, then we may as well spend a couple of hundred for the phone, or three hundred, or four. Once every year of two isn't the biggest expense for the people who really care about these things.

We can look at any product and wonder why it didn't have all the features from the beginning. Apple is the latest company to begin making phones. It only makes sense to give them some time to get it right in the way they think they need to.

They are apparently trying to build out a platform that makes sense from a long term perspective. That takes a little longer than just adding features willy nilly.
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

My only worry here is that it seems late in the game to hire someone to tackle this problem for the next iphone revision. Here's hoping they just are looking to the future.

the iphone already has a camera. so what's the issue.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

@PG4G, great articulation. I often find myself wondering the same; namely how much is Apple operating from a unified sense of Mac + iLife/iWork + iPhone/iPod touch + iTunes, and how much is separate but complimentary. Case in point is Apple TV. Does it converge with iPhone 3.0 platform this year or not?

@Hypermark

Personally, as an iPhone developer, I see the Apple TV as having certain potential as an apps platform, but its important to look at things a little more well-rounded and observant.

The issue is clear - the TV is dying. The concept of sitting and watching a video on a screen for inordinate periods of time simply doesn't fit our fast-paced modern world. If we do watch something on TV, we do just that - we watch, we rarely interact. Creating an app for a device we'd rather not play with is... well... stupid.

The Apple TV has potential as a games console, a Hi-Fi system, and as a general multimedia device. We should explore where that goes, but its not exactly the potential that the iPhone had.

iPhone is a bridging device. It's basically a "portable everything" which makes it perfect for any app you could think of in a mobile context.

Apple needs to find a way to bring the TV back, or let it die out and merge it completely into the Mac itself.

As for the iPhone, as I said, it and the iPod (especially the touch) have the potential to be a "mobile everything" device. Anything we do with getting content, like taking pictures on the run, or video, or voice clips, is done on the Phone. Then its brought back to the Mac for more detailed interaction. Whether Apple moves into the TV space with this is currently unclear in my mind... I'd like to see if they do something with using the media on your iPhone up on the big screen over WiFi.

Perhaps we just need to decide what we use each for.

Computer - Editing content.
iPhone - Gathering content.
TV -Displaying content.

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense here but let me know.
post #45 of 48
steve has found the perfect way to disguise the black radiotransparent window on the back of the ipod touch.
post #46 of 48
The iPhone and the Touch need better camera tech instead of the cheap CMOS 2 MP or even the 3.2 MP. They need to go to CCD which is competitive in terms of cost, power consumption and even size. Better coated glass lens and even a fill LED flash would help without much change in size or even power consumption. Anyway, the entire BOM for the iPhone and the Touch got to have come down significantly in cost with the economic downturn so they can afford to add some extras.

Whoever did the camera for the iPhone must be a novice... like an after thought kind of thing.
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

The iPhone and the Touch need better camera tech instead of the cheap CMOS 2 MP or even the 3.2 MP. They need to go to CCD which is competitive in terms of cost, power consumption and even size.

I think you have it backwards, CMOS sensors are supposed to be more power efficient than CCD, and is supposed to require fewer components to do the same job.
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

The iPhone and the Touch need better camera tech instead of the cheap CMOS 2 MP or even the 3.2 MP. They need to go to CCD which is competitive in terms of cost, power consumption and even size. Better coated glass lens and even a fill LED flash would help without much change in size or even power consumption. Anyway, the entire BOM for the iPhone and the Touch got to have come down significantly in cost with the economic downturn so they can afford to add some extras.

Whoever did the camera for the iPhone must be a novice... like an after thought kind of thing.

CCD's are going out. The only reason why they've hung around so long is because of the production lines, which would shut down .

CMOS, as has been mentioned, is actually much cheaper to make, and has lower voltages, higher efficiency, etc.

Until now, CCD's have been slightly better in IQ in these very small sizes, but that is changing quickly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple listing implies iPod touch to eventually gain digital camera