or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › DroboPro announced 8-Bays and iSCSI support

DroboPro announced 8-Bays and iSCSI support

post #1 of 6
www.drobo.com

Quote:
Direct Attach Performance Anywhere
iSCSI storage arrays can be directly attached to their host over longer distances than other directed attach interfaces because of the inherent capabilities of Ethernet, allowing you the flexibility you need to run your business.

Windows and OS X Support
DroboPro supports iSCSI connections on both Windows and OS X. For Windows, Drobo Dashboard, the management software included with DroboPro, uses Microsofts iSCSI software (initiator). However, OS X does not natively contain iSCSI support. Thus, Drobo Dashboard includes the necessary iSCSI software initiator for OS Xfree of charge.

Data Robotics on iSCSI

Quote:
Understanding iSCSI vs. NAS

There are important differences you should understand between iSCSI and network attached storage (NAS).

iSCSI cannot be turned off. If you would like to share the files on DroboPro on your network with multiple computers, simply connect DroboPro to a server or workstation that has file sharing enabled through the host operating system.

In most scenarios, for optimal performance youll want to directly attach DroboPro to your host as shown below.

Quote:
If you would like to attach multiple DroboPros to the same host, but that host only has a single free Ethernet port, you can connect the DroboPros via a switch as shown below. This will work as long as the switch is isolated from the network and DHCP or similar is not operating over the switch.

I find it interesting that they haven't implemented basic SMB/CIFS, NFS support. Though $1299 for an iSCSI capable 8-bay box is affordable for SMB.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #2 of 6
I wonder if it's products like this that prompted Apple to drop the Xserve RAID?

Presumably Apple would have known about the concept of iSCSI a few years ago?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I wonder if it's products like this that prompted Apple to drop the Xserve RAID?

Presumably Apple would have known about the concept of iSCSI a few years ago?

Apple could have easily just embraced iSCSI like many other vendors. I just think they didn't have the heart to stick in and evolve their storage product.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple could have easily just embraced iSCSI like many other vendors. I just think they didn't have the heart to stick in and evolve their storage product.

It's a shame isn't it? I thought that the Xserve RAID was an excellent product.

Many thanks for bringing the new Drobo Pro to my attention!
post #5 of 6
post #6 of 6
Sorry guys, just to inform you, we had a change of adress few days back.

http://www.macola.rs/macola_raid.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › DroboPro announced 8-Bays and iSCSI support